PDA

View Full Version : Rush

Jahuli
08-10-2005, 05:26 AM
I've been seeing all these Rush threads and have been inspired to listen to them but where should i start :
What Songs?
What Albums"

Warham
08-10-2005, 08:51 AM
Moving Pictures?

Signals?

2112?

EbDawson
08-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Their remastered greatest hits "The Spirit of the Radio" is a good one to start with. Most of their big hits. Great production/sound, much better than Chronicles. As far as single CDs, Moving Pictures would be a good one, IMO.

thome
08-10-2005, 10:03 AM
2112 ...that was my first rush album .

franksters
08-10-2005, 11:19 AM
moving pictures and 2112... enjoy!

YoureAllGhey
08-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Hemispheres was the album that got me into them.

Reverberator
08-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Pemanent waves .

zeronumber
08-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Test for Echo

Hardrock69
08-10-2005, 02:35 PM
I would suggest heavily you buy their first album, and then listen to them in the order they were released.

If there ever was a band that had an interesting evolution in their sound, yet still retained all of the musical elements that led them down the paths to greatness to begin with, it is them.

You will find it interesting to see how they progress over a 35 year period.

I did not see them live until their Permanent Waves Tour in the early 80s, and have seen them at least a half a dozen times since.

Have fun getting into them!
:cool:

Mr Badguy
08-10-2005, 02:47 PM
I think "2112" is great if you`re 14, like when I got it.

I don`t know if someone mid-20`s would get so heavily into the sci-fi of it.

I still love it, though.

I would maybe recommend "A farewell to kings" or "Moving pictures" to a first time buyer.

It`s hard as no album really defines what Rush is or does.

BigBadBrian
08-10-2005, 05:18 PM
All the World's a Stage.

A little raw and live but still technically correct.

Awesome.

Hardrock69
08-11-2005, 12:01 AM
I actually went through the whole catalog in order. About 1976 or so, somebody got me the very first Rush LP. I then got all the rest up to that point, and by 1979 I was like everybody else...waiting for each new album to come out.

They are one of the most high-quality bands out there. Sometimes their albums have not been as kickass as I would like, but regardless....whenever they have released a new album, I have always burned myself out playing it to death for at least a month or so.....

All The World's A Stage blew my mind. Still love it.

My Dad actually bought me the recent compilation "Different Stages". I was happier than a pig in shit!! WOOT!!! A New Live CD from 1978 at the Hammersmith Odeon!

YAAAAAAAY!!!!

Rush has always been one of my fave bands....

DLR_EngineRoom
08-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Jahuli
I've been seeing all these Rush threads and have been inspired to listen to them but where should i start :
What Songs?
What Albums"

Rush - 2112, Moving Pictures, and and every greatest hits and LIVE CDs they have.

Any/All songs from these make a great RUSH collection...

Mr. Vengeance
08-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Ugh....try anything early. Anything after 1985 is garbage.

Seshmeister
08-11-2005, 07:05 PM
As a Rush fan for 25 years I agree with all the previous posts(apart from Test for Echo) as being good points in their career which got the posters here into them, hey this is the 21st century and if someone started out with Hemispheres or 2112 they would run a mile IMHO.

I would get Chronicles which is a double album best of thing with a pretty damn good mix of all the flavors of Rush and then move on from there.

I fucking hate prog rock and all it stood for.

Rush are something else and unique.

Cheers!

:gulp:

sammysucks65
08-11-2005, 09:06 PM
oye i love rush except for geddys nose hehehe no i love rush excpet for tom sawyer i cant stand it...but the rest rock

Mr Badguy
08-12-2005, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by sammysucks65
oye i love rush except for geddys nose hehehe no i love rush excpet for tom sawyer i cant stand it...but the rest rock

Why don`t you like it?

Is it cos it`s always on everything they release?

I get that way with "Closer to the heart".

I love the song on "A farewell to Kings" but none of the live versions are ever as good and you get burned out on it.

Soul Reaper
08-13-2005, 07:22 AM
Start with Moving Pictures.

their earlier albums have longer songs (Cygnus X-1, la Villa Strangiatio). their songs after Moving Pictures album are not as proggy per se (Limelight, Spirit of Radio).

Soul Reaper
08-13-2005, 07:23 AM
FIRST PHASE (1974-1976):
In the beginning, they started off as hard rock blues outfit with John-boy before he left and Neil came in, bringing his sci-fi mind into the works. The music seems to be a transition between straight-ahead rock tunes and more complex progressive tracks. "Caress of Steel" is a landmark album in the history of RUSH. Lyrically and musically, "2112" was a masterpiece. This multi-platinum release remains one of RUSH's best-selling albums.

SECOND PHASE (1977-1981):
They moved headlong into progressive rock in the later part of the decade, starting with the album previous and right on to their massive breakthrough, 1981's "Moving Pictures". Synthesizers were now employed by the band, played in the studio and on stage by Geddy. This was the end of transition from long epic pieces to shorter, more concise, and intricate songs. "Permanent Waves" is widely considered to be second only to "Moving Pictures" as RUSH's finest achievement.

THIRD PHASE (1982-1989):
RUSH embraced the 1980s sound with "Signals", making heavy use of synthesizers and keyboards for the first time in the band's history. Keyboards have become a very large part of the music, and the interplay of guitar, drums, bass, and keyboards became technically almost impossible to play live. The two LPs that followed, "Grace Under Pressure" and "Power Windows", also followed nearly the same mold. They reached the zenith of its keyboard experimentation with "Hold Your Fire".

PRESENT PHASE (1990 to today):
Moving to a new label, RUSH embarked on their present phase with "Presto". So, after mercifully ending their synth period, RUSH went into a sort of pop/rock phase for this stage in their career. They sought to remove the dominance of keyboards in the music, and go back to a bass-drum-guitar sound . But after their tour for their 1996 record "Test For Echo", the band took six years off before returning in 2002 with the release of their new album "Vapor Trails".
read more

Mr Badguy
08-13-2005, 07:48 AM
I don`t understand why everyone dislikes their "synth" albums.

I think the use of keyboards is what gave the band such longevity.

The three piece thing would have got old pretty fast.

"Power windows" and my personal favourite "Signals" have got to be in the top five best Rush albums in terms of top quality songs.

The others being "A farewell to Kings", "Hemispheres" and "Moving pictures".

"2112" side one is awesome, but too many fillers on side two.

BigBadBrian
08-13-2005, 09:00 AM
Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of "Rush in Rio."

Great DVD.

:cool:

Shaun Ponsonby
08-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
I don`t understand why everyone dislikes their "synth" albums.

I think the use of keyboards is what gave the band such longevity.

The three piece thing would have got old pretty fast.

"Power windows" and my personal favourite "Signals" have got to be in the top five best Rush albums in terms of top quality songs.

The others being "A farewell to Kings", "Hemispheres" and "Moving pictures".

"2112" side one is awesome, but too many fillers on side two.

I agree with that.

The great thing about Rush is that each of their "phases" have more kick ass songs than a lot of bands have in their entire career.

I'm going to tell you what I tell everyone.

You want a great introduction to Rush? Get the Rush In Rio DVD, because every era of the band is represented in some way.

The tracklist...

Tom Sawyer
Distant Early Warning
New World Man
Roll The Bones
Earthshine
YYZ
The Pass
Bravado
The Big Money
The Trees
Freewill
Closer To The Heart
Natural Science
One Little Victory
Driven
Ghost Rider
Secret Touch
Dreamline
Red Sector 'A'
Leave That Thing Alone
Drum Solo (fucking WATCH THAT)
Resist
Limelight
La Villa Strangiato
The Spirit Of Radio
By-Tor And The Snow Dog
Cygnus
Working Man

+ The Rio audiences are the best in the world. YYZ, La Villa Strangiato and Leave That Thing Alone are all instrumentals, but the Rio crowd sing a long anyway note perfect.

Hardrock69
08-13-2005, 01:53 PM
"Permanent Waves" is widely considered to be second only to "Moving Pictures" as RUSH's finest achievement.

I disagree. While Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves are great albums, I do not regard Moving Pictures as their "finest achievement".

Perhaps the bean counters at Mercury Records do, but artistically I certainly do not.

I would say 2112 is their finest achievement, with Hemispheres coming in at #2.

Permanent Waves & Moving Pictures just marked albums where they had more hit singles. They did not truly represent any kind of landmark, though yes, PW did signal their transition to more keyboard oriented stuff.

Terry
08-14-2005, 06:35 PM
Would have to agree that Moving Pictures would be one of the better albums to start with for anyone just getting into Rush.

My fave period of the band is the Permanent Waves/Hemispheres/Exit...Stage Left/Moving Pictures/Signals years; basically the late 1970s-the early 1980s. From Grace Under Pressure onwards, the stuff they did gets a little dodgy, IMO.