PDA

View Full Version : T.O. breaks camp..argument with Reid?

redblkwht
08-10-2005, 05:23 PM
BETHLEHEM, Pa. -- Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens argued with head coach Andy Reid at a team meeting Wednesday and left camp, ESPN's Sal Paolantonio has confirmed.
Theismann on Eagles
Wednesday, August 10
Joe Theismann
Theismann

I'm not sure what happened to cause Terrell Owens to leave camp, but I am pretty sure of the consequences and that is that the Eagles are short on veteran receivers.

This team wasn't going into the season with a great set of receivers even with T.O. with last week's loss of Todd Pinkston to injury, but this incident will set the Eagles offense back.

Eagles' executive Joe Banner and coach Andy Reid have to start looking around the league to find a veteran receiver to come in and play just a month before the season starts. To successfully transition a new guy in to Reid's system they should look at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Seattle Seahawks and the Green Bay Packers because they run similar systems.That's imperative because of the nature of Reid's system and also because of the lack of time to get ready that they find someone who can walk in and have an idea of what's going on in the playbook.

Looking forward the Eagles may not be in terribly bad shape if the Eagles have to go the entire season without Owens. They are primarily a defensive team anyway and will still have Donovan McNabb, who has played without top-notch receivers his entire career with the exception of last season, helming the offense. This isn't a team like the Packers who will rely on their offense to win games. The Eagles can win those 13-10 ballgames because of their defense and will do it this year if they must. Also, coach Reid is a very good play caller and will put McNabb in favorable positions regardless of who is at the receiver position.

All in all this isn't the time for Eagles fans to panic.

Joe Theismann, a Super Bowl-winning QB and former NFL MVP, is a regular contributor to Insider.
It was not immediately known if Owens was told to leave or left on his own accord. Owens then got his belongings and cleared out of Eagles training camp at Lehigh University, according to two television reports. He was expected to return to his home in New Jersey, Paolantonio has learned.

Paolantonio said the team meeting was about "player obligations" during training camp, including a fan autograph session. Owens had bypassed the autograph session, which had caused hard feelings among his teammates who did attend the session, and felt the wide receiver was being given special treatment.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reported Owens returned to his home in Moorestown, N.J., where he was seen shooting free throws on his driveway basketball court around 4:15 p.m.

Owens referred questions to his publicist.

Owens did not practice with the team this morning, but he did work out with a trainer.

The Inquirer also said on sports talk radio station WIP, former NFL player Gary Cobb said he had talked to an Eagles player today who said the dispute started over Owens' morning workout.

According to Cobb, the player told him that Owens was supposed to be off today in order to rest his strained groin muscle and Reid was upset to see him running pass routes at full speed. When Reid suggested that if Owens felt good enough to run routes all out, he should be good enough to attend practice, and the player told Cobb that the argument escalated from there.

Owens had worked out with the team's assistant trainer for about 20 minutes on a separate playing field from his teammates, catching balls from a machine and doing some light running. He did not speak to reporters or acknowledge the fans who chanted his name.

SportsNation

The All-Pro receiver sat out practices last Friday and Saturday. He returned Sunday for both the morning and afternoon sessions, but hasn't practiced since.

Owens is unhappy the Eagles have refused to redo his contract as he enters the second season of a seven-year, $48.97 million deal.

Last season, Owens had 77 receptions for 1,200 yards and a franchise-record 14 touchdowns receptions before severely injuring his ankle late in the season. He missed the final two regular-season games and the first two playoff games before returning for the Super Bowl, in which he had nine receptions for 122 yards.

When asked about Owens leaving camp, his agent Drew Rosenhaus said it was a matter between Owens and Reid. Rosenhaus declined to talk about it further.

redblkwht
08-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Guys, I guarantee you this..
Terell Owens will be in a
different uniform this year
or ala Keyshawn, held out
all year, id love for the eagles
to do that to him.

He just proved my point, i
knew all along he'd punk out
of camp..what a peice of shit.

Bill Lumbergh
08-10-2005, 05:26 PM
SHOKKIN'!!!!!!!!!!! Not..........:rolleyes:

VHdamaco
08-10-2005, 05:27 PM
what a fucking idiot...

granted, i understand wanting more cash because he "overperformed" on his contract (he did give them a swagger that carried them to the super bowl), but to sit there and cry like a little bitch saying "i'm trying to take care of my family" and walk out is bullshit...

he's getting paid money beyond most peoples wildest dreams to play a fucking GAME, he better just fucking suck it up and deal...

redblkwht
08-10-2005, 05:27 PM
tie goes to me, putz 1:23
is the official time..lol:D

Mezro
08-10-2005, 05:28 PM
The Eagles won't take his shit; they will let the bitch sit.

Mezro...they have plenty of money under the cap to get a decent receiver (or two)...

tjvhou812
08-10-2005, 06:09 PM
he's a little bitch

DlocRoth
08-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Fuck....guess who's bench he's sitting on......

redblkwht
08-10-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by DlocRoth
Fuck....guess who's bench he's sitting on......
Watch him go to the
Ravens in an about face deal
lol
I see him traded now.
vibe is going with this one, all day long, hes a goner for sure.

redblkwht
08-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Fuck....guess who's bench he's sitting on...... Yours?:D

TOUGH LOVE BRO ;)

rustoffa
08-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Hmmmm......for those about to rock, the Rumor Mill salutes you!

DlocRoth
08-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Trade him now.....

Va Beach VH Fan
08-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Grandstanding, yadda, yadda, yadda....

Just like the 'Burgh press was talking tonight re: Ward's holdout, "miraculously" in the week before the 3rd exhibition game, they'll come to terms....

Every year, same scenario, different players....

light 'em up!
08-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Unintelligent, showoff, immature, copout, crybaby pussy. I heard he told Andy Reid to shutup. I hope the Eagles are big enough to tell TO to fuck off or grow up.

ALinChainz
08-11-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
Hmmmm......for those about to rock, the Rumor Mill salutes you!

:D

Romeo Delight
08-13-2005, 11:05 AM
I support TO. Yeah he is a prima donna, but last time I checked, there are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL. So, TO's 49 million dollar contract is only worth what he is getting paid THIS year and nothing more.

I believe that players should honor their contracts except for the NFL. The owners have royally fucked the players and so TO and others have no recourse than to be paid NOW.

Keep it up TO...Fucking situps in his driveway - tell me you didn't howl!

Bob_R
08-13-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by tjvhou812
he's a little bitch

That's being far too kind bro.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by DavidFlamma
there are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL.

Which is exactly what T.O.'s NFLPA agreed to....

The players have no one to blame but themselves for that one...

If they're smart, they'll get rid of that before the next CBA...

Gonna be interesting to see who blinks first....

ALinChainz
08-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Limbaugh wants to help Owens, McNabb settle dispute

August 13, 2005

This time, Rush Limbaugh wants to help Donovan McNabb, not criticize him.

Limbaugh, who once said the Philadelphia Eagles quarterback was overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed, wants to help McNabb and wide receiver Terrell Owens settle their differences on his radio show.

``I am here to offer and to assist. I can,'' Limbaugh said on his nationally syndicated radio show Friday, according to a transcript on his Web site. ``I could bring these two guys together. I've been there, folks, and I could do this, and I'm serious in my desire to do it.''

Owens has been unhappy with the Eagles over his contract and took some of his frustration out at McNabb, calling the quarterback a hypocrite and saying the two of them could not be successful together.

McNabb insisted he wasn't stung by the criticism, laughing off the outrageous receiver's remarks before turning serious and telling Owens to ``keep my name out of your mouth.''

Limbaugh resigned from ESPN nearly two years ago after sparking outrage by saying on a pregame show that he didn't think McNabb was as good as perceived from the start.

``I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well,'' Limbaugh said on ``Sunday NFL Countdown.''

Now Limbaugh wants to help mediate, inviting both Eagles to appear on his show.

``This rift cannot be allowed to continue, ladies and gentlemen. It just can't, and I would like to offer this program as a means of getting these two Americans and star players back together,'' Limbaugh said. ``They may not want to talk to each other face-to-face, but perhaps they would join me on this program and speak to each other telephonically via this program and settle this.''

Va Beach VH Fan
08-13-2005, 07:08 PM
That's all they need, the right wing to the rescue....

Romeo Delight
08-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Which is exactly what T.O.'s NFLPA agreed to....

The players have no one to blame but themselves for that one...

If they're smart, they'll get rid of that before the next CBA...

Gonna be interesting to see who blinks first....

Problem in the NFL is that there are so many "competent" football players to choose from,

Also, there is a general consensus in the average American that these players should be grateful (blablabla) "Don't they know what I get paid", etc.

The media machine perpetuates this and the general lack of character found in the modern athelete makes the owners in the catbird's seat

If you are in the top five percent in your chosen field, be that computer programming, musical artist, academic, you should be rewarded.

Pro athletes are no different, and we should keep our collective asses out of their business.

redblkwht
08-17-2005, 10:14 AM
Lets see what happens today
hes supposed to show back
up today, his suspention is
over..wonder if he stirrs the
pot again, i predict he does.
In which he'll be a bench player
all season. lol

Romeo Delight
08-18-2005, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by VHdamaco
what a fucking idiot...

granted, i understand wanting more cash because he "overperformed" on his contract (he did give them a swagger that carried them to the super bowl), but to sit there and cry like a little bitch saying "i'm trying to take care of my family" and walk out is bullshit...

he's getting paid money beyond most peoples wildest dreams to play a fucking GAME, he better just fucking suck it up and deal...

This attitude astounds me.

Do you have any idea how many NFL players are asked to take a minimun salary in the event they had an average year or - worse yet - get injured. If they refuse, they are cut - gone!

The NFL owners are cocksuckers and would sell their mother's souls to get an edge and get cap room.

This idea that these players are "playing a fucking GAME" and thus should be thankful is ridiculous.

Just because you are not an elite athelete is no reason why you should begrudge someone who has worked their ass off to be able to perform at that level.

Why is it that so many people parrot what I hear politically correct media people say.

Think for yourself...

DlocRoth
08-18-2005, 03:26 PM
TO is gonna play nice....

Ahh...it seems I have averted a potential fantasy disaster.

ALinChainz
08-18-2005, 07:51 PM
The only problem I have with it is :

1. He wanted a trade out of San Fran and they didn't want to, but did their best. They work a deal with the Ravens.

2. He bitches and cries about how unfair that was, he wanted free agency, and his contract just wasn't that far along. He could be a "restricted" FA, but he would have to wait another year and did not want the franchise tag. So he gets his way and gets to work out a deal with a team of HIS choice, which was Philly.

3. He and his agent negotiate a 7 year, $49 million deal. He plays one year on it and because he feels he "out performed" that deal after a season by making it back from injury to play in the SB, he switches agents and thinks he should get a new one. Never mind that they got to the SB without him.

Sorry, the owners might have some advantages, but this guy isn't poor, and is still making big coin. He should have at least played 2 seasons under this deal before opening his yap. He is fucking himself royal because other owners around the league are seeing how this guy is about himself, not winning.

He wanted Philly and their contract, now after 1 year he doesn't.

DlocRoth
08-18-2005, 10:01 PM
Right on all counts AL....
The motherfucker is a spoiled little boy, but a damn talented one at that...

I just want his ass on the field.....

Defending truth, justice and my Roth Bowl trophy. LOL

Romeo Delight
08-19-2005, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
The only problem I have with it is :

1. He wanted a trade out of San Fran and they didn't want to, but did their best. They work a deal with the Ravens.

2. He bitches and cries about how unfair that was, he wanted free agency, and his contract just wasn't that far along. He could be a "restricted" FA, but he would have to wait another year and did not want the franchise tag. So he gets his way and gets to work out a deal with a team of HIS choice, which was Philly.

3. He and his agent negotiate a 7 year, $49 million deal. He plays one year on it and because he feels he "out performed" that deal after a season by making it back from injury to play in the SB, he switches agents and thinks he should get a new one. Never mind that they got to the SB without him.

Sorry, the owners might have some advantages, but this guy isn't poor, and is still making big coin. He should have at least played 2 seasons under this deal before opening his yap. He is fucking himself royal because other owners around the league are seeing how this guy is about himself, not winning.

He wanted Philly and their contract, now after 1 year he doesn't.

Ya, so what!!!

If an owner can renegotiate a contract if a player has an off-year - and even CUT him, a player owes you or anyone else no reason for wanting to do the same.

He has the right to ask for anything he wants, do anything he wants as long as he performs his job.

Philly management is doing everything to protect themselves from TO and so TO should be able to protect his interests.

Who are you to tell him how he should conduct his business affairs?

TO probably realized after he got hurt how short his time could be and , knowing the owners antics, wanted to protect himself.

Good for him...

For once a player has a tiny bit of leverage, and the whole world (people who watch the same sports news) cries foul.

No stories about players getting injured and then asking to take a fraction of their salary when owners are in a salary cap squeeze.

Your logic is flawed

EbDawson
08-19-2005, 02:16 AM
Ya, so what!!!

If an owner can renegotiate a contract if a player has an off-year - and even CUT him, a player owes you or anyone else no reason for wanting to do the same.

He has the right to ask for anything he wants, do anything he wants as long as he performs his job.

Philly management is doing everything to protect themselves from TO and so TO should be able to protect his interests.

TO probably realized after he got hurt how short his time could be and , knowing the owners antics, wanted to protect himself.

Good for him...

For once a player has a tiny bit of leverage, and the whole world (people who watch the same sports news) cries foul.

No stories about players getting injured and then asking to take a fraction of their salary when owners are in a salary cap squeeze.

Your logic is flawed

You sound like his agent. It's not in Philly's interest to renegotiate his contract after 1 year. So they aren't. If he was a year or 2 from the end of his contract, yeah, maybe. Philly holds all the cards. TO just has to deal with it. Thing is, even if he's traded, what team is gonna give him megabucks like he wants? There are probably teams that will have an interest in him but he's already screwed himself with his actions as far as getting payday like he wants. Not that it's all his fault, his agent's an asshole.

Romeo Delight
08-19-2005, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by EbDawson
You sound like his agent. It's not in Philly's interest to renegotiate his contract after 1 year. So they aren't. If he was a year or 2 from the end of his contract, yeah, maybe. Philly holds all the cards. TO just has to deal with it. Thing is, even if he's traded, what team is gonna give him megabucks like he wants? There are probably teams that will have an interest in him but he's already screwed himself with his actions as far as getting payday like he wants. Not that it's all his fault, his agent's an asshole.

I personally don't really like TO.

But, if TO wants to "screw himself" that is his business.

Any other attitude suggests that pro atheletes owe us in some fashion, even though their short careers are dependent on the whim of owners and management.

If TO has leverage of any kind to extract a better deal for himself how is this somehow wrong??!

Philly doesn't have to agree, but really, TO is underpaid (comparitively to other receivers).
While I wouldn't want to set such a precedent, the team could have spun this in a less controversial way.

Now, TO will be sure to do exactly enough to get paid and give himself props, but will certainly NOT repeat last year's heroics and play injured in the Super Bowl.

I guarantee you there are a dozen teams willing to take TO...

EbDawson
08-19-2005, 04:21 AM
if TO wants to "screw himself" that is his business.

I guarantee you there are a dozen teams willing to take TO...

I agree that it's his business but he's only hurting himself, well mainly himself.

There may very well be a dozen teams that would take him but are any of those teams willing to give him the kind of bucks he is asking for? I doubt it.

DlocRoth
08-19-2005, 04:44 AM
TO signed a contract.....

I think we're all smart enough to take it from there...

Romeo Delight
08-19-2005, 10:06 AM
TO signed a contract.....

I think we're all smart enough to take it from there...

O the sage wisdom!!!

No...the issue is whether TO has a right to ask for a renegotiated contract , which he does.

No one has to give it to him, and people who belive that atheletes "owe" the fans in their pollyanna world will always think that.

Everything is not black and white - shades of grey permeate all issues in life

So, we have reached the end of this thread in terms of understanding the blockheadedness of people like yourself

DlocRoth
08-19-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm well aware of the pay structure of the NFL you fucking idiot.

TO signed, and got the bonus HE and HIS AGENT negotiated.

I never said he doesn't deserve more.

If you scrub the toilets REALLY, REALLY well for the next few days at your job, you too may go to your boss and ASK to renegotiate your contract. They see what's going on. They've noticed you're scrubbing extra hard, using the Tilex shit and a brand new shammy.....

You're a star...you've outperformed your contract. Way to go!! You want a raise.

Doesn't mean you're gonna get one. So go ahead and hold out.

Run along, sweetheart. Some kid just missed the bowl.

ALinChainz
08-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Ya, so what!!!

Good for him...

Your logic is flawed

Dude ... he has NO leverage ... none.

He's forced to play by the deal he signed or sit all year and he's fucking himself for next season.

He has the same leverage Keyshawn Johnson had with Tampa.

None. He got suspended for the rest of the year.

T.O. begged and pleaded to go to Philly, and now he's bitchin'.

Why is it that the NFL is the premiere sports league in the world?

Romeo Delight
08-19-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
Dude ... he has NO leverage ... none.

He's forced to play by the deal he signed or sit all year and he's fucking himself for next season.

He has the same leverage Keyshawn Johnson had with Tampa.

None. He got suspended for the rest of the year.

T.O. begged and pleaded to go to Philly, and now he's bitchin'.

Why is it that the NFL is the premiere sports league in the world?

No leverage???

Who do they have at receiver again???

Fucking no one after TO.

I still think that you guys are thinking like fans and not like adults.

There are teams that wouldn't touch TO under any circumstances.

But, many would jump at the chance at the exposure.

Look at how long we've talked about it!!

It's so easy to dislike TO, but given the NFL's exploitative regime, all is fair!

Romeo Delight
08-19-2005, 08:57 PM
I'm well aware of the pay structure of the NFL you fucking idiot.

TO signed, and got the bonus HE and HIS AGENT negotiated.

I never said he doesn't deserve more.

If you scrub the toilets REALLY, REALLY well for the next few days at your job, you too may go to your boss and ASK to renegotiate your contract. They see what's going on. They've noticed you're scrubbing extra hard, using the Tilex shit and a brand new shammy.....

You're a star...you've outperformed your contract. Way to go!! You want a raise.

Doesn't mean you're gonna get one. So go ahead and hold out.

Run along, sweetheart. Some kid just missed the bowl.

Oh well, I guess I'll just listen to ESPN and get my opinions from them, just like you Dloc-cock!

Let's see, Steroids are tainting America's game, nascar is thrilling, and , oh yes...atheletes should be role models.

One day I will be as successful and knowledgable as you dloc-cock!

DlocRoth
08-19-2005, 09:47 PM
Oooh....Dloc-cock! I get it! What a wordsmith!!

Very adult like!

Your whole post reeks of adolescence.

I'm pretty sure I never said I didn't like him or that he doesn't deserve more money.

I'm also pretty sure that Philly ran the playoff table without him last year, right?

Yes, he can try to renegotiate.
Yes, Philly can tell him to fuck off.

Are we done?

Seriously, fuckstump....go away...

Romeo Delight
08-19-2005, 10:00 PM
No, sorry dloc-cock...

You started the unpleasantries "fucking idiot" and now you want to stop?

Just because I brought up a point of view different than the media is spinning...

If we all agreed on everything, what would be the point of any of these forums?

Not to get Ford-like here, but don't you think that it is difficult for media people to take viewpoints like the one I took?

Their networks are in bed with the league, and they want to keep working. Also, it is easy to spin a story about how fucked TO is.

All I am saying is think! Peace out

DlocRoth
08-19-2005, 10:38 PM

So, we have reached the end of this thread in terms of understanding the blockheadedness of people like yourself

Actually, YOU started it...

All you talk about is how you're some maverick because you don't have the same beliefs as the media??

Who fucking cares?

You're telling me to think? About what?

I fucking agree with you, dumbass, to a point.

Yes, the motherfucker has every right to try and renegotiate...

Can you admit that he doesn't have Philly quakin in their boots though, nor should they be?

That's all I'm saying. I'm not gonna cry for TO when Philly tells him to shove it.

Oh, and by the way....
I don't give a flying fuck if TO is a role model...
I hate NASCAR, and Juice makes baseball more entertaining.

Who's to say he didn't get a big enough bonus last year?

Did he sign on the dotted line?

So apparently it was good enough.

Dude, get over yourself.

Romeo Delight
08-19-2005, 11:29 PM
I'm not a maverick, I just saw everyone agreeing with each other like a giant circle jerk and thought the thread could use some perspective.

Sorry if "blockhead" is too derogatory a term for you.

i thought this was DLR Army??:confused:

DlocRoth
08-19-2005, 11:54 PM

Sorry if "blockhead" is too derogatory a term for you.

Charlie Brown didn't like it, why should I?

Seriously, it's all good. I'm done.

Like I said earlier, I hope TO gets a hundred million bucks and kicks ass this year.

He's on my fantasy team, I want him out there.

However, he is a whiny bitch who is owed nothing, just like you.

Now, like TO, I'm taking my ball and going home.

Cheers!

FUCK THE MEDIA! ATTICA!
See? I even got your back...

EbDawson
08-20-2005, 12:11 AM
Not to get Ford-like here, but don't you think that it is difficult for media people to take viewpoints like the one I took?

Stuart Scott on ESPN is a TO guy, for some reason. :confused:

Actually all I'm saying is TO will not play anywhere in this league this year for 1 cent more than his present contract. Next year, same story.

Now back to the flamefest.

POJO_Risin
08-26-2005, 10:13 PM
so much for the layoff...

Owens catches 64-yard TD on first play back with Eagles
Aug. 26, 2005
By Clark Judge

Playing in his first game since returning to the Philadelphia Eagles this summer, wide receiver Terrell Owens produced a 64-yard touchdown catch on the first play of the evening.

Owens, who is feuding with quarterback Donovan McNabb, ran past Cincinnati cornerback Deltha O'Neal and sprinted five yards beyond safety Kim Herring to haul down the pass in stride.

When he reached the end zone, he stood with his hands on his hips and nodded to the crowd. He did not speak to McNabb after the play nor did the two shake hands. But Owens was received enthusiastically by teammates on the sidelines, with several coming by to celebrate with the All-Pro receiver.

Owens was the target of McNabb's next two passes, too, catching the first for a 31-yard gain and nearly catching the second for a touchdown. However, he had only one foot in the end zone and was ruled out of bounds.

Let's see, that's three plays, two catches, one touchdown. I guess that serves as a rebuttal for critics who said the Eagles can't and won't work with McNabb and Owens stonewalling each other.

Owens spent the moments prior to the kickoff by himself after playing catch to one side of the bench with fourth-string quarterback Andy Hall. When he returned to the bench he adjusted his uniform and stood with his back to McNabb, who joked with safety Michael Lewis.

Then, when the Eagles offense was called to the field, Owens jogged into the huddle by himself, waited for McNabb to appear and took his position to the far right.

"They're going to throw him the ball," said WYSP analyst Mike Quick.

He was right. We better get used to it. Again.