PDA

View Full Version : Moon orbit trip set for lift-off

Mr Grimsdale
08-12-2005, 03:32 AM
OK, so it's not really relevant to anything here but...

Moon orbit trip set for lift-off (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4139212.stm)
Intrepid travellers with $100m (£55m) to spare could soon enjoy the trip of a lifetime - a journey around the moon.
The firm which launched the first "space tourist" into orbit in 2001 now wants to send two passengers on a round trip to the moon as soon as 2008.

According to Space Adventures, the trip would last between 10 and 21 days while travelling conditions, although not exactly luxurious, would be bearable.

Several people have already shown interest in the project, it said.

Bird's eye view

The US company intends to break new ground for space tourism less than ten years after it launched Dennis Tito into space in 2001 in the first-ever commercial space flight.

It hopes to work with the Russian space agency to get the moon orbit project off the ground.

Its plan would see two passengers travelling in a Russian Soyuz space vehicle - used to transport Mr Tito - flown by a Russian pilot.

The vehicle would dock with a booster craft, potentially at the International Space Station, before making its way to the moon.

The craft will not land but the passengers will get a bird's eye view of the Moon before returning to earth.

Changing expectations

Despite the apparently prohibitive cost of the trip, Eric Anderson - chief executive of Space Adventures - said there were about 1,000 people wealthy enough to contemplate it.

"Space flight can be opened up," he said.

"I just love the idea of demonstrating that things can be done for less money than people thought and paradigms can be shifted."

One man unlikely to be making the voyage is Mr Tito.

He told the New York Times that, having just turned 65, he was probably too old for a trip of that kind.

"I would be considering it if I were younger and I had that kind of money," he said.

Tough conditions

Experts are divided on the merits of the proposed mission with sceptics claiming travelling conditions could be very unpleasant.

According to Christopher Kraft, former director of the Johnson Space Center, the spectacle would be fantastic but conditions on board the craft - roughly the size of a sports utility vehicle - would be cramped.

"I imagine you could endure that, but man, it would be tough," he said.

Mr Grimsdale
08-12-2005, 03:33 AM
If this does go ahead it might finally shut up those morons that go around claiming that nobody ever went to the moon, as the radiation levels in flight are too high, let alone landed on it.

Right, which one of you is going to give me $100 million?

NightProwler
08-12-2005, 03:42 AM
..."give me $100 million".

Typical. Try working and earning it.

Mr Grimsdale
08-12-2005, 06:18 AM
Try taking a joke the way it was intended.

NightProwler
08-12-2005, 07:19 AM
Good advice, you should take it.

Mr Grimsdale
08-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Touché.

Ally_Kat
08-14-2005, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
If this does go ahead it might finally shut up those morons that go around claiming that nobody ever went to the moon, as the radiation levels in flight are too high, let alone landed on it.

Right, which one of you is going to give me $100 million?

you and me, rockin' the moon. Let me go rob that bank first :D

knuckleboner
08-14-2005, 06:17 PM
you serious, grims? you think 2 space tourists will be able to shut up the hoax idiots? no chance.

though, for the record, i DO believe i remember reading somewhere that the apollo astronauts were not really protected from a possible deadly radiation exposure. luckly, the avoided an event. but, an unexpected solar flare might've fried them.

but yeah, if i had mark cuban (or sir richard branson, on your side of the pond)'s cash, i'd definitely take the risk.

Mr Grimsdale
08-15-2005, 02:11 PM
If the fact that two private individuals are prepared to stump up $100 millions dollars to do that it doesn't convince the conspiracy theorists it is and was possible to travel to the moon then they are so very, very, very, very stupid the best I can wish for them is a slow death.

Golden AWe
08-15-2005, 02:19 PM
All I can think of is having sex in the weightless space...and shitting in my space suit.

DrMaddVibe
08-15-2005, 07:47 PM
Moonie!

Mr Grimsdale
08-17-2005, 04:20 PM
Now that IS disturbing.

DrMaddVibe
08-17-2005, 08:09 PM
No...THAT'S Keith Moon!