PDA

View Full Version : Saddam Thinks He Outsmarts Interrogators-Official

Sarge
03-18-2004, 09:59 PM
http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/344368|top|03-18-2004::15:30|reuters.html

Saddam Thinks He Outsmarts Interrogators-Official

Email this story

Mar 18, 3:29 PM (ET)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Saddam Hussein thinks he is smarter than his interrogators, but the United States has extracted from the world's most famous captive much that might be used at his trial, a U.S. official said on Thursday.
"He's turned out (to be) a pretty wily guy who seems to be enjoying the give-and-take with his interlocutors. He sure thinks he's smarter than everyone else, that's for sure," U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage said in an interview.

The No. 2 State Department official said earlier this week Saddam was giving up little information but on Thursday he explained there were also leads from the interrogation that could be analyzed to produce evidence.

"I've seen some of the results of these debriefs and we've got a lot of dots to connect before we throw these out publicly," he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

Armitage did not say in what areas CIA-led interrogators had made progress since U.S. troops hauled the ousted Iraqi leader from a hiding hole in the ground in December.

But officials have said a main focus of questioning is to understand how the Iraqi insurgency against the U.S. occupiers is run, as well as unearthing evidence to prosecute Saddam for an array of crimes.

Armitage said he was confident the 66-year-old, who was declared a prisoner of war in January, would be successfully prosecuted in Iraq.

"There's a good deal, I think, of interest in Iraq for seeing the tyrant finally brought to his knees," he said.

ELVIS
03-18-2004, 10:11 PM
uhh hu hu hu hu hu hu hu hu hu

Beat you by a minute...

:elvis:

Sarge
03-18-2004, 10:23 PM
shit!

You actually beat me by 3 mins..

lucky wilbury
03-19-2004, 03:17 AM
oh yeah he's smart. he couldn't even figure how to put the gun to his head and blow it off.

John Ashcroft
03-19-2004, 08:12 AM
That's because all murderous dictators end up being proven cowards. He may be a bit cunning, but I think his rise to fame and fortune had more to do with his ruthlessness and sociopathic behavior rather than intelligence. He'll be cracked for sure. Again, dictators are typically cowards, and the fact that Saddam is still alive illustrates this perfectly. I'm pretty sure our interrogators have effective techniques for cracking cowards.

Cathedral
03-19-2004, 10:20 AM
oh yeah he's smart alright....It never dawned on him that if he had given up info on what he did with his weapons (he did destroy some ya know) then chances are he would still be in power.

All he had to do was work with Inspectors and give up documents, instead he thumbed his nose at the world and denied everything which led to his regimes demise.

All he had to do was play the game, but he chose to make his own rules and that led to just enough opening for America and it's Coalition to justify ousting him.

He's so smart he ended his own reign based on what can only amount to pride.....I learned a long time ago (as a kid) that pride sometimes bites you in the butt.

John Ashcroft
03-19-2004, 10:25 AM
Ah, but Cat, Saddam couldn't admit to the U.N. where the weapons were because he though his scientists were still actively making them. That's what they were telling him, and he thought it accurate.

So, he's gone. Regardless of which side you're on, it's clear Saddam was actively trying to manufacture WMD, and was a direct threat to the U.S. and the world. What's interesting is that the liberals have taken the position of the terrorists in Saddam's regard.

Cathedral
03-19-2004, 10:33 AM
True, but i think there is enough proof that there aren't any that he could have used it to his advantage.....If he were a smart man that is.

His own people betrayed him is what i gather from it all...but still he had options that only a smart man would have been able to manipulate in his favor.

His first mistake was thinking that by ruling a country based on fear and murder would gain him loyalty among his people.