PDA

View Full Version : The New Shaq thread...

POJO_Risin
08-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Well...Shaq takes 10 million dollars less in a new deal than his old deal..."so he could win titles..."

that goes by without a comment from the Shaq-haters...so I'll throw that out there...and his first interview of the upcoming season...given by Dwayne Wade of all people...

Shaq anxious to take another shot at championship
Aug. 13, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The temptation to play reporter was too strong for Dwyane Wade to resist, so he grabbed a microphone and asked the $100 million question.

"Shaq, now that you didn't take all the money, what's next for the Heat?" Wade asked, grinning.

Shaquille O'Neal hopes the eventual answer to that question is a championship.

"This year," O'Neal said, "there ain't no stoppin' us."

Speaking publicly for the first time since agreeing to a $100 million, five-year contract with the Miami Heat -- who offered more money than O'Neal ultimately accepted -- the 12-time All-Star center said Saturday that he believes a flurry of offseason moves has brought his team closer to that elusive NBA title.

"I'm getting to the point in my career where I do need firepower," O'Neal said. "I want my career to be about championships. So I took one for the team, and that's what a great team player does. I'm very grateful and I'm very honored that (Heat owner) Micky Arison did what he did and I appreciate it."

By taking less money -- he would have made $30.6 million this season under the terms of his old deal, which he opted out of -- O'Neal gave the Heat far more flexibility. And once O'Neal's deal got done, it took Miami president Pat Riley only a couple hours to spring into action.

He put together a trade that brought forward Antoine Walker from Boston, plus guard Jason Williams and forward James Posey from Memphis -- all part of a five-team, 13-player deal that cost the Heat swingman Eddie Jones, and a pair of relatively little-used reserves from last year's squad.

"We lost a great teammate," Wade said. "But I was also excited because the guys coming in can help us get to where we need to go, and that's to win a championship."

O'Neal said he'll make sure the right chemistry is in place to ensure that the revamped roster works.

"Jason Williams is going to get everybody the ball. He sees everything. Antoine is going to shoot the 3. It's going to be fun," O'Neal said. "I'm very excited. I mean, I can't wait to play the first game and then go home and watch the first game."

The Heat entered the offseason looking nothing like a team that needed to be revamped.

Miami won 59 games last season, was the top seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs and went to seven games with Detroit in the conference finals -- losing with O'Neal hobbled by a bruised thigh and Wade suffering from a painful rib injury that restricted his movement.

"We still could have got it done," O'Neal said. "It just wasn't our turn. It just wasn't meant to be. Now you just have to live with that. Like I said, the thing that happened last year is only going to make us stronger. The great Pat Riley has made us stronger."

Instead of just adding a piece or two, Riley went out and brought in another scorer, a true point guard, some longer bodies -- all designed to complement O'Neal and Wade.

"Of course you're surprised after the season we had, a heartbeat away from the finals," Wade said. "But you know, Pat Riley seemed to change. He seemed to change from the year before when we were excited about our young team, and it did us good -- so I'm sure this will do us good also."

O'Neal said he plans to report to training camp weighing about 335 pounds, or roughly eight more than he played at last season; O'Neal said he currently weighs 345 with 10 percent body fat. And he tried to distance himself from the soap opera earlier this season, surrounding rumors that Riley was ready to replace Stan Van Gundy as the team's head coach.

"I think it's unfair to both guys," O'Neal said. "And I think it's unfair to me, to put me into that. Anytime a coach wants to make a change or needs to be changed, my name has been put in there unfairly. I'm staying far away from that."

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Brett
08-14-2005, 04:09 AM
He's fat.

Brett
08-14-2005, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin

"We lost a great teammate," Wade said. "But I was also excited because the guys coming in can help us get to where we need to go, and that's to win a championship."

Well Dwayne, you dumb shit, Shaq ran Eddie out of LA too. He hated him. Now he's gotten him out of Miami too.

Romeo Delight
08-14-2005, 04:48 AM
"So I took one for the team..."

Gotta love his penchant for self-promotion!

I haven't been watching news at all - this is HUGE for Miami!!!!

Romeo Delight
08-14-2005, 04:53 AM
"Eddie Jones is HORRIBLE !!" (in my best Bill Walton impression)

and

"This is a man's game...playing for the ultimate prize!"

VonHalen
08-15-2005, 04:34 PM
not a heat fan, but i do think they will win it all

POJO_Risin
08-16-2005, 12:46 AM
I can't imagine anyone can screw on the heads of Jason Williams and the Mad Gunner...who knows though...anything can happen...

but any signing that takes the ball out of Wade's hands isn't to smart...and there's no way these two can keep it together for a season...no fucking way...

Romeo Delight
08-16-2005, 01:52 AM
I can't imagine anyone can screw on the heads of Jason Williams and the Mad Gunner...who knows though...anything can happen...

but any signing that takes the ball out of Wade's hands isn't to smart...and there's no way these two can keep it together for a season...no fucking way...

You're wrong!

Remember Sac-town with white mother f-ing white chocolate!!! Webber sucks and they were great!

Imagine what they will do with a true point!! Holy fuck - no look to Shaq-Fu for another two handed slammmmmm!

Wade got too tired bringing up the ball and trying to penetrate and shoot jumpers - now he can drive to the hole and/or dish to Shaq or pull up for jumper or dish to Jason.

I hate the defensive trend in the NBA (meaning no talent) with Detoit, San Antonio. This will be Basketball!!!

Brett
08-16-2005, 03:17 AM
Any team with Jason Williams and Antoine Walker on the same team will never win an NBA championship...ever. Two of the bigger cancers in the NBA.

And the Kings sucked ass in the playoffs with Williams, or perhaps you forgot how the Lakers dismantled them in 2001 with Williams running the point. He blows ass. He's turnover-prone, he makes poor decisions, and he shoots too many ill-advised 3's. Let's see how long Shaq and Wade can stomach him and Antoine Walker jacking up ridiculous 3's.

The Kings only made a serious run at the Lakers AFTER they got smart and dumped Williams for Bibby. Jesus Webber was the best player on that team before Bibby, now you're saying he sucks? Yeah he sucks now, and he's always been a choker and a pussy, but he was the best player on those teams Jason Williams was on. And when you're getting your ass handed to you on both ends of the floor by Derek Fisher, you know you got problems.

Wade got too tired, give me a fucking break. Kobe brought the ball up for 5 years here, and the Lakers won 3 titles. Poj is right anyway. Wade will get less touches, not more, no matter how he tries to spin the positivity of the trade.

I'm going to laugh my ass off at that team not winning again. Shaq a year older, a year lazier, and year fatter.

Romeo Delight
08-16-2005, 03:23 AM
Kings had Webber (remember the time-out!!!)

He is the ultimate under-performer. Don't blame white chocolate!

Wade will handle ball enough, but to penetrate, not jerk off up the court.

Kobe had more support, a better system...now they are assembling team, making cap adjustments

We will see

Brett
08-16-2005, 03:25 AM
Kobe had a better Shaq, and a better coach, no question there.

The Lakers did not have a better supporting cast than what Miami has this year. The only Laker team that probably can compare was the 03-04 team with Malone and Payton. And we saw how that ended up. Although if Malone was healthy all year, that season would have ended differently.

Romeo Delight
08-16-2005, 03:28 AM
I think Walker and Williams can shoot threes at the right times with Shaq there...

Remember, Walker was better last year - no endless three-balls.

Last year, wade was done at end of season, shaq hurt and with these additions, can get 10 wins better at least

Brett
08-16-2005, 03:31 AM
10 more wins? So you think this team is going to win 70 games? LOL come on man.

They'll win 58-62 again.

Romeo Delight
08-16-2005, 10:19 AM
It's not like Miami got Marbury or some shit...

Williams will want to dish - 70 wins baby!

seenbad
08-16-2005, 02:46 PM
I see them getting 60 at the most, going 7 with Cleveland and getting tossed by San Antonio in 6.

VonHalen
08-17-2005, 04:58 PM
San Antonio will not repeat, will make a nice run though, but miami's gonna do it

Brett
08-18-2005, 03:23 AM
Miami will not win the NBA title, they will not be as good as people think. Antoine Walker and Jason Williams are not winners, and not exactly un-selfish players. They will not fit at all. Plus I don't think much of Stan Van Gundy as a coach, and he has no history managing 4 egos like this. which is a big part of coaching. Especially dealing with Shaq, who is eventually going to start whining he's not getting enough touches. Eventually his gay love affair with Dwayne Wade will wear off, and Wade will eventually his lips from Shaq's rear end.

Romeo Delight
08-18-2005, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Brett
Miami will not win the NBA title, they will not be as good as people think. Antoine Walker and Jason Williams are not winners, and not exactly un-selfish players. They will not fit at all. Plus I don't think much of Stan Van Gundy as a coach, and he has no history managing 4 egos like this. which is a big part of coaching. Especially dealing with Shaq, who is eventually going to start whining he's not getting enough touches. Eventually his gay love affair with Dwayne Wade will wear off, and Wade will eventually his lips from Shaq's rear end.

So you're from "Earth" ??

How about sharing with the rest of us your insight on who will win.

You must be a Knick fan...so sad ;)

Brett
08-19-2005, 03:20 AM
A Knick fan? You must be new around here right?

Romeo Delight
08-19-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Brett
A Knick fan? You must be new around here right?

Newer than most, I suppose.

Just trying to get you to commit to more than "No you're wrong...";)

Plus, it would be great to find a Knick fan so we can ridicule him...there is so much material!

Brett
08-19-2005, 11:25 AM
I'll give you a hint, I live 3,000 miles away from New York and I seem to have a lot of opinions on Shaq. That give you a clue? :)

I gave my reasons why Miami won't win it, and I see no reason San Antonio (sadly) can't repeat.

Romeo Delight
08-21-2005, 01:52 AM
So Brett, What are the chances of an improved Lakers?

Who will come now with Jackson on board?

Give us the local thoughts!

Brett
08-21-2005, 02:20 PM
They'll be better, they're not winning a title anytime soon. They can't be any worse than they were last year.

They haven't gotten much this offseason, so who knows. I supsect with Kobe healthy all year, Odom healthy all year and not losing a coach midway through will make a drastic difference.

Romeo Delight
08-21-2005, 04:32 PM
I find it hard to believe that Phil would come back unless he thought he could improve personnel quickly.

What are the rumors?

POJO_Risin
08-21-2005, 05:13 PM
Do we know that Kobe and Odom will be healthy all year?

Romeo Delight
08-22-2005, 01:00 AM
I am looking forward to kobe and odom in the triangle...

Phil has something up his sleeve

Brett
08-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Do we know that Kobe and Odom will be healthy all year?

Well unless Kobe gets another one of those ankle sprains where some idiots steps on him and he absolutely cannot run, he plays pretty much through everything else. So I'm banking he'll be OK. Odom I heard is fully recovered and should be fine. So hoping for the best.

Flamma, as far as rumors, just the same ones probably everyone hears. Possibly getting Derek Anderson (who really wants to go to Houston), Aaron McKie is a definite possibiluty, and then there's the pipe dream of Jalen Rose or Michael Finley.

They really need another big, there aren't many names out there or names being thrown around either. That's going to be a problem for this team, rebounding and defense.

I think Phil is looking to next year to make bigger changes when they Lakers will have a little more financial flexibility, I think this year the goal is the playoffs.