PDA

View Full Version : Doo Wop

diamondsgirl
08-15-2005, 08:45 PM
I've always been a big fan of the music of the 1950's. Does anyone else still listen to this stuff. What are your favorite songs/artists.

I love the Four Seasons, Dion and the Belmonts, Frankie Lyman, Fats Domino, Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, so many more...

Some of my favorite 50's songs:

Why do fools fall in love?

South Street

I want you to be my girl

Runaround Sue

the Wanderer

Blueberry Hill

Sha Boom

The Book of Love

:cool:

Peggy Sue

superdave
08-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Four Seasons, Elvis, and Roy Orbison are at the top of the heap...

Jérôme Frenchise
08-15-2005, 09:17 PM
Mmm... The fifties... Not my fave period as far as music, movies and so on, but I dig Little Richard's music and tremendous dynamics, as well as Jerry Lee Lewis's. Not original, but these two are awesome among awesome rock stars.
But the doo-wop thing :D, not really. From the 1950s, I will listen to JL Hooker's, and above all Muddy Waters' and Howlin' Wolf's blues, but it's not what you want to talk about.

Diamonds Kid
08-15-2005, 09:31 PM
You know before you start a thread like this,You should ask yourself if you are surrounded by people with any musical integrity...I dare bet these guys can herd sheep,But when it comes to real music and solid replys to this thread..your out of luck....Fats Domino,Richie Valenz,,Buddy Holly,Little Richard,Elvis,Jerry Lee Lewis....I could go on forever!If you wonder why this thread is going nowhere,check the company that you keep.Cause people that truley care for you,would support you...

superdave
08-15-2005, 09:36 PM
The music of that era beats the crap out of the so-called 'music' of this era---Music, for the most part, died back in the mid 90's--This hip-hop crap sucks shit, as does the culture that goes along with it (McDonald's...I Be Lovin' It....Yechhh)

Jérôme Frenchise
08-15-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Diamonds Kid
You know before you start a thread like this,You should ask yourself if you are surrounded by people with any musical integrity...I dare bet these guys can herd sheep,But when it comes to real music and solid replys to this thread..your out of luck....Fats Domino,Richie Valenz,,Buddy Holly,Little Richard,Elvis,Jerry Lee Lewis....I could go on forever!If you wonder why this thread is going nowhere,check the company that you keep.Cause people that truley care for you,would support you...

Well... I suppose that I'm part of "these guys". What the fuck?
Where did you come out from?
If our DG's thread is "going nowhere" as you said, come on, show us where it should go, then.
If you cared that much for DG as you suggest you do, you wouldn't talk that crap, would you?:mad:

rustoffa
08-15-2005, 09:50 PM
The do wop stuff is okay.

Gene Vincent had the Bee Bop A Lula song...that dude made Johnny Rotten look like Buddy Holly.

diamondsgirl
08-16-2005, 12:10 AM

This thread is going nowhwere? :confused: you realize that you posted this only 45 minutes after I started the thread?

There are plenty of folks here with musical intergrity and sorry but, I don't usually ask myself any questions before starting threads.

I put it in the House of Music for any and all Army members to reply. It has nothing to do with sheep herding. I was hoping many would reply if they care for the music of the 50's, but if only a few reply, thats cool too. I was not looking for any kind of support here. Just conversation about some of my favorite music.

But, thank you for your concern. Whom ever you are.

BTW, whats your favorite Buddy Holly tune? :cool:

diamondsgirl
08-16-2005, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
Mmm... The fifties... Not my fave period as far as music, movies and so on, but I dig Little Richard's music and tremendous dynamics, as well as Jerry Lee Lewis's. Not original, but these two are awesome among awesome rock stars.
But the doo-wop thing :D, not really. From the 1950s, I will listen to JL Hooker's, and above all Muddy Waters' and Howlin' Wolf's blues, but it's not what you want to talk about.

Hey, Jerome...good to see you. And thanks for the "support" ;) LOL.

I love talkin' blues too...you know that :)

Jerry Lee Lewis' music was pretty great, I loved the way he played piano...he was always all fired up. I love the tune Breathless. :cool:

diamondsgirl
08-16-2005, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by superdave
Four Seasons, Elvis, and Roy Orbison are at the top of the heap...

I really like Elvis' very early stuff. Grabbed his first album a while back and love it.

Matt White
08-16-2005, 12:23 AM

I love guys hidin' behind an alias taking a "high & mighty" stance.
Let me know when your's finally drop fella.

Love the 50's DG!!!

I remember ROBERT PLANT saying how the DOO WOP box set is one of the BEST purchases he's ever made in his life.

Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, Bill Halley, Bo Diddley,....

Dion? Very cool. Del Shannon? Frankie Valli? The '50's had a TON of monumental music.......

Next time maybe somebody will be MAN enough to step up to the plate as themselves..........doubt it.

Matt White
08-16-2005, 12:25 AM
ELVIS---SUN SESSIONS...ESSENTIAL listening.

JOHNNY CASH

JERRY LEE LEWIS

CARL PERKINS

ROY ORBISON

MERLE TRAVIS

CHET ATKINS

FLATTS & SCRUGS

Hardrock69
08-16-2005, 12:56 AM
For some reason I cannot stand Doo Wop. It bugs me, just like Polka music and Dixieland Jazz (those guys in peppermint-striped suits and straw hats are scary).

diamondsgirl
08-16-2005, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
I love guys hidin' behind an alias taking a "high & mighty" stance.
Let me know when your's finally drop fella.

Love the 50's DG!!!

I remember ROBERT PLANT saying how the DOO WOP box set is one of the BEST purchases he's ever made in his life.

Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, Bill Halley, Bo Diddley,....

Dion? Very cool. Del Shannon? Frankie Valli? The '50's had a TON of monumental music.......

Next time maybe somebody will be MAN enough to step up to the plate as themselves..........doubt it.

hell yeah...lots of rock songs have that doo wop vibe to them, you can tell the artists were inspired by the sound

I dig that doo wop part in "The Ocean"

"I'm the One" has it fo sho :cool:

bop ba da shooby dooo wah!

Matt White
08-16-2005, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl
hell yeah...lots of rock songs have that doo wop vibe to them, you can tell the artists were inspired by the sound

I dig that doo wop part in "The Ocean"

"I'm the One" has it fo sho :cool:

bop ba da shooby dooo wah!

:DEver seen that LED ZEPPELIN LIVE DVD?

There is a live version of "THE OCEAN" that wasn't included in THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME....BONZO & ROBERT do the "LA LA, LALALALA LA, LALA LALALALA LA" part together!!!!

PRICELESS!!!

diamondsgirl
08-16-2005, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
For some reason I cannot stand Doo Wop. It bugs me, just like Polka music and Dixieland Jazz (those guys in peppermint-striped suits and straw hats are scary).

did you have a bad experience as a child? :D

diamondsgirl
08-16-2005, 02:17 AM
:DEver seen that LED ZEPPELIN LIVE DVD?

There is a live version of "THE OCEAN" that wasn't included in THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME....BONZO & ROBERT do the "LA LA, LALALALA LA, LALA LALALALA LA" part together!!!!

PRICELESS!!!

I'll have to check that out. Sounds very cool.

Coyote
08-16-2005, 06:15 AM
Gimme some Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino, Little Richard or any ol' rock'n'roll and I'll be quite contempt.

Hardrock69
08-16-2005, 10:05 AM
Little Richard is the TRUE KING OF ROCK 'N' ROLL!

I would almost say he is the true Queen Of Rock as well, but that title belongs to Tina Turner (and rightfully so).

Jérôme Frenchise
08-16-2005, 10:44 AM
Hey, Jerome...good to see you. And thanks for the "support" ;) LOL.

I love talkin' blues too...you know that :)

Jerry Lee Lewis' music was pretty great, I loved the way he played piano...he was always all fired up. I love the tune Breathless. :cool:

Nice to see you again too, DG.:)

Your thread is alright just as usual.;)

Now there's a rock 'n' roll style from the 50s that I dig a lot and I think that fits with the "doo wop": rockabilly, and most early rock 'n' roll is OK with me. Above all ELVIS of course, GENE VINCENT, EDDIE COCHRAN, CHUCK BERRY, LITTLE RICHARD, JERRY LEE LEWIS...
Some say that IKE TURNER recorded the first proper rock 'n' roll song in 1954, "Rocket 88", but I haven't heard it yet.

JAMES BROWN started his carreer in the fifties. He's one of my all time faves too. I think he hasn't been mentioned. Wasn't he kind of doo wop a little?:)

Jérôme Frenchise
08-17-2005, 06:15 AM
I've had big, big trouble on my PC right after clicking to download Ike Turner and the Kings of Rhythm's "Rocket 88". Maybe it's not the real cause, but I had to spend nearly 2 hours fixing it all.
So does anybody know a site where you can listen to it, err... safely?:D
Thanks in advance.:cool:

By the way, I've just remembered I've got GENE VINCENT's "Ain't that too much", a gem, sounds so fresh even today, there's so much in there already, and a great version of "Sixteen tons" by THE PLATTERS. So fine!!!:)

Susie Q
08-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Sure I love this music! My mother used to listen to this stuff all the time. I even like some big band music as well of the 40's. The ONLY kind of music I CANNOT stand is (C)rap. I hate it.

I liked Jackie Wilson, Supremes, Temptations, Buddy Holly, Elvis (I have a cute story about this guy...), The Platters, Four Seasons (I swear if you listen to their song...."Late December back in '63" that it was wrote for my mother and myself. I was born late December back in '63! :) ) etc....I could go on and on with the list.

I also like some old country....Patsy Cline, Jerry Lee Lewis, Hank Williams, Buck Owens....

diamondsgirl
08-17-2005, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Susie Q
Sure I love this music! My mother used to listen to this stuff all the time. I even like some big band music as well of the 40's. The ONLY kind of music I CANNOT stand is (C)rap. I hate it.

I liked Jackie Wilson, Supremes, Temptations, Buddy Holly, Elvis (I have a cute story about this guy...), The Platters, Four Seasons (I swear if you listen to their song...."Late December back in '63" that it was wrote for my mother and myself. I was born late December back in '63! :) ) etc....I could go on and on with the list.

I also like some old country....Patsy Cline, Jerry Lee Lewis, Hank Williams, Buck Owens....

Hey, Susie...

Lets have that Elvis story.

And LOL @ referring to Elvis as "this guy". :D

My mom taught me how to dance to all this stuff...I can still do an awesome lindy. :D

Jérôme Frenchise
08-17-2005, 04:06 PM
How sweet it would be to be sitting cool in a cozy armchair, having the story of the fifties told by both of you playing the right records... Ooh yeah, how sweet...:)
a-woop-ah-a-loowop-a-lam-bam-boom!:D

diamondsgirl
08-17-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
a-woop-ah-a-loowop-a-lam-bam-boom!:D

Tutti Fruitti :D Great Song!

Jérôme Frenchise
08-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Tutti Fruitti :D Great Song!

Yeah!:)............. though I've never got much about the chorus!...
But I've got a frog's brain!:D

MAX
08-17-2005, 09:10 PM
I love a lot of Elvis' stuff. He's grate. I never really dug all of the 50's stuff. Maybe it's to simplistic for me, I dunno? One of my best friends tis' way into Rockabilly though and I definitely do appreciate a lot of the music. I will say that a lot of the people from that era have stellar voices. People like Elvis, Ricky Nelson and The Everly Brothers. I dig those cats. There's no denying the importance of that era though.

Matt White
08-17-2005, 11:12 PM
"Hello Mary Lou" is a CLASSIC.

MAX
08-18-2005, 12:39 AM
"Hello Mary Lou" is a CLASSIC.

A-Fucking-Men!!!

That song rocks!!!

Matt White
08-18-2005, 12:42 AM
James Burton playing lead on that tune.....

Underrated guitarist.......

So many Kewl guitar players from the 50's!!!

Anonymous
08-18-2005, 01:57 AM
How come I've missed this thread? Well, maybe because of the small title. :D

Anyways, I don't know much about the 50's, but I'm a fookin' fan of Dion & the Belmonts. 'The Wanderer' is the ringtone on my mobile... the full mp3! One of the gratest songs ever written. 'Runaround Sue' is the shite too!

Cheers! :bottle:

diamondsgirl
08-18-2005, 02:36 PM
Someone mentioned Bo Diddley...

was listening to him last night

"Who do you love?" and "I'm a Man!" 2 fantastic tunes

would love to hear Roth cover these :)

diamondsgirl
08-18-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
How come I've missed this thread? Well, maybe because of the small title. :D

Anyways, I don't know much about the 50's, but I'm a fookin' fan of Dion & the Belmonts. 'The Wanderer' is the ringtone on my mobile... the full mp3! One of the gratest songs ever written. 'Runaround Sue' is the shite too!

Two of my favorites too, Slick

Dion's voice was hot as hell

Teenager in Love was a cute little tune

diamondsgirl
08-18-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by MAX
I love a lot of Elvis' stuff. He's grate. I never really dug all of the 50's stuff. Maybe it's to simplistic for me, I dunno? One of my best friends tis' way into Rockabilly though and I definitely do appreciate a lot of the music. I will say that a lot of the people from that era have stellar voices. People like Elvis, Ricky Nelson and The Everly Brothers. I dig those cats. There's no denying the importance of that era though.

Hey Maximus, you like that tune Earth Angel by the Penguins? :D

Love that one...such a great make-out song. :p

MAX
08-18-2005, 04:08 PM
I know that song. :)

Are you going to see that new penguin movie? ;)

Susie Q
08-18-2005, 06:52 PM
Hey, Susie...

Lets have that Elvis story.

And LOL @ referring to Elvis as "this guy". :D

My mom taught me how to dance to all this stuff...I can still do an awesome lindy. :D

My story is a cute one....

I was about 4 years old and in love with Elvis. I saw a picture of Elvis with Pricilla and his newborn daughter Lisa Marie and became very upset. I took my safety scissors and cut the picture out with such care. I took the picture and went up to the toilet and flushed Elvis down the toilet as I was upset that he would cheat on me. HAHAHAHA!!

I started to cry and told my sister to go down the toilet and get the picture as I was sorry I did that.

That's the Elvis story.. :)

Anonymous
08-18-2005, 09:55 PM
Two of my favorites too, Slick

Dion's voice was hot as hell

Teenager in Love was a cute little tune

Well, I'm not sure about hot as hell... but the man DID have a grate voice. One of the things that pises me off is that when I sing 'Runaround Sue' I start perfectly in the exact same tone and stuff, but halfway through the tune, my chords can't take it... my voice deepens - I can't maintain it in that high tone ogf his - and my throat hurts like hell. And the song is LESS THAN THREE MINUTES LONG!!! Damned son of a... I can actually sing it all the way, but only without the whoo whoohohohohoo whoohohohohaaaaaaaaaaaaaas.

How DID that prick do it?

Anonymous
08-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Academic Punk, please do refrain of any jokes about the above post... I know I made it too easy, but please do control yourself. You'll get better jabs - read, not so obvious - at me in the future.

Anonymous
08-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Hell, if we count Elvis for Doo Wop, I can tell you... that guy had THE GRATEST VOICE EVER. He could sing ANYTHING, ANYTIME, ANY TONE. Noone - not even Freddie Mercury - can top that guy in feeling, range and melody.

And it's a HUGE fan of Michael Kiske telling you this, folks... easily the best voice out there, nowadays.

diamondsgirl
08-19-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Susie Q
My story is a cute one....

I was about 4 years old and in love with Elvis. I saw a picture of Elvis with Pricilla and his newborn daughter Lisa Marie and became very upset. I took my safety scissors and cut the picture out with such care. I took the picture and went up to the toilet and flushed Elvis down the toilet as I was upset that he would cheat on me. HAHAHAHA!!

I started to cry and told my sister to go down the toilet and get the picture as I was sorry I did that.

That's the Elvis story.. :)

that is adorable. When I look at older pics of "this guy" (lol) I can not get over how perfect looking he was. Not a flaw. :cool:

diamondsgirl
08-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
Well, I'm not sure about hot as hell... but the man DID have a grate voice. One of the things that pises me off is that when I sing 'Runaround Sue' I start perfectly in the exact same tone and stuff, but halfway through the tune, my chords can't take it... my voice deepens - I can't maintain it in that high tone ogf his - and my throat hurts like hell. And the song is LESS THAN THREE MINUTES LONG!!! Damned son of a... I can actually sing it all the way, but only without the whoo whoohohohohoo whoohohohohaaaaaaaaaaaaaas.

How DID that prick do it?

I would pay money to hear you singing Runaround Sue :cool:

diamondsgirl
08-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Another romantic song that I just heard on my way to work is Unchained Melody.

Proably one of the most beautiful songs ever written. Lyrics and music.