PDA

View Full Version : Bush neighbors to seek court order

BigBadBrian
08-16-2005, 01:59 PM
Bush neighbors to seek court order

BLOOMBERG NEWS

Some residents of the corn and cattle town of Crawford, Texas, are expressing resentment as hundreds of anti-war protesters descend upon President George W. Bush's adopted hometown.

After nine days of watching as one woman's protest has grown into a national event, dozens of the farmers and ranchers neighboring Bush's 1,600-acre Prairie Chapel Ranch plan to petition a county court in nearby Waco, according to one, Pete Martinka. They want to prevent anyone from parking or stopping within two miles of the makeshift campsite erected by Cindy Sheehan, the Vacaville, Calif., woman whose son, Casey, was killed in the war in Iraq.

"She's pitching tents on private property," said Martinka, who lives on a 104-acre ranch near the Bush property.

Sheehan, 48, has become an icon for a revived anti-war movement and her so-called Camp Casey outside the Bush ranch has become a small village. Her demonstration now includes a procession of TV satellite trucks, political operatives and public relations professionals. There are rallies and folk songs.

"People are very fed up," said another neighbor, Sgt. Vernon Harrison, 42, a National Guard nurse who returned from Iraq in February.

Sheehan's son Casey, 24, died in an ambush in Baghdad's Sadr City in April 2004. She said she will stick with her vigil as long as Bush is at the ranch. She said she still wants a face-to-face meeting with the president to seek answers about the war and to demand that U.S. troops in Iraq be brought home. Bush met with Sheehan last year during a visit with relatives of soldiers killed in Iraq.

Low-key, anti-war events continued at Camp Casey, about a mile from the gates of the Bush ranch. Early Sunday, about the time a prayer service was to begin, a neighbor, sheep farmer Larry Mattlage, fired at least one shotgun blast into the air. Sheriff's deputies and the Secret Service rushed to the scene. Mattlage told authorities he was firing at doves, preparing for hunting season that begins Sept. 1 in Texas. He wasn't charged because he fired a gun on his private property, according to the McLennan County Sheriff's Department.

Link (http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-usmom16,0,1212138.story?coll=ny-nation-big-pix)

academic punk
08-16-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm surprised it's taken this long...

I've been expecting this article from day one...

FORD
08-16-2005, 02:54 PM
Thankfully, at least one of Chimpy's neighbors is a decent human being and has offerred the use of his property for "Camp Casey" as long as they need it. So the court order is pointless. They're already moving.

Warham
08-16-2005, 03:41 PM
More like Camp Cindy.

BigBadBrian
08-16-2005, 03:47 PM
Let's hope they don't forget the marshmallows.

:gulp:

Hardrock69
08-16-2005, 03:50 PM
Hey if I were one of his neighbors, and there were several hundred peeps (and counting) parked outside of my driveway, I would be seeking a court order as well!

FORD
08-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Hey if I were one of his neighbors, and there were several hundred peeps (and counting) parked outside of my driveway, I would be seeking a court order as well!

Look up "Prairie Chapel Road" in Crawford Texas on Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Prairie+Chapel+Road+Crawford+TX&ll=31.561168,-97.530591&spn=0.004698,0.007522&t=k&hl=en) .

These people aren't exactly camped out in anybody's front yard. We're talking some long driveways here in middle-of-nowhere Texas.

Warham
08-16-2005, 04:12 PM
I wouldn't like it if there were hundreds of people and two port-a-potty's out on the curb in front of my property, and I'm sure those ranchers don't like it either.

Hardrock69
08-16-2005, 04:14 PM
The length of driveways is irrelevant.

Out in the middle of nowhere might make it even more difficult than if it were in the midst of a large city, because it is more likely there would not be as many alternate routes to avoid such crowds.

They need not worry so much down there in YeeHah land, as Chimp will be going back to Washington soon, and the crowds will be gone from Crawford.

LoungeMachine
08-16-2005, 04:26 PM
Good thing we have Good Old Boy Texans shooting off rifles and dragging chains behind their pick up trucks [sound familiar?]

Red State / Red Neck

Not much difference

Warham
08-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Cindy Sheehan Update: Texas Patriot Drives Pickup Truck Through 1,000 Memorial Crosses.

by Chuck Terzella

http://www.unconfirmedsources.com/nucleus/media/5/20050816-cowboy-w3.jpg

Anxious to show their support for United States President George W. Bush and the War in Iraq, unnamed Texas Patriots have driven a pickup truck through the nearly one thousand memorial crosses set along the side of the road outside the Crawford ranch, dedicated to some of those soldiers who have died in the war since President Bush declared that war to be over. Coming on the heels of Mr. Bush's neighbor firing off his shotgun while joking about "getting ready for Dove Season" and Capitan Kenneth Vanek forcing protesters to stumble through ditches, this latest round of Americanism proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Texas is the most loyal and patriotic state in the Union.

"It's them damned dead (American soldiers) fuckers that are the traitors," said one Texan near the Crawford ranch, too drunk or stupid to remember his name for attribution, " If them sons of bitches didn't get themselves kilt then no one would be all bothered by Dubya and the war." Another local cowboy, after getting himself untangled from the confederate flag he was trying to unfurl, agreed. "I've supported every war we've ever had, even the one where we tried to get the fuck out of this country (the Civil War). What you Liberal Yankee scum don't get bout Texans is that win or lose, right or wrong, we support someone else going to some dusty-assed foreign country to kill gooks or rag-heads to protect our right here at home to beat the tar outta hippie freaks."

It was at first assumed that the drive-over was done by George W. Bush himself, who, after drinking a bit too much hot chocolate and getting a little crazy, decided to cruise on out and actually meet with Ms. Sheehan. Known for his automotive skills (in addition to a couple of DWIs, or Driving While Ignorant, his wife Laura once described on NPR how he drove through his garage door after she criticized one of his speeches), Mr. Bush would have been a perfect candidate, except everyone knows he was too afraid to meet with Ms. Sheehan, saying during a bike ride earlier in the week that the important thing for him was "to keep a balanced life", presumably meaning that coming face to face with Ms. Sheehan, whose son Casey's death was the result of his mistakes would make him unbalanced.

Unnamed White House Source Wegman (Pudgy) Waterhouse, speaking on the condition of anonymity said, " Although, I don't have any proof, I personally think it was Karl (Rove) that done it. That ole boy has been hotter than Texas road tar bout this Sheehan thang. That little lady shore has put a burr under his saddle." When asked why he was talking like a redneck, Waterhouse replied, " It's this here ranch, I reckon, After all, Dubya was born in Connecticut and he talks this way too."

http://www.unconfirmedsources.com/?itemid=1133

Hardrock69
08-17-2005, 11:06 AM
LMAO!!

Heyuh...when dey be's draggin' chains behine deys pickup, dey gots tuh be sho' dey gots one o' dem darkies hooked up to it!!

YEE HAW!!!

:rolleyes:

Warham
08-17-2005, 04:11 PM
BY JAMES TARANTO
Wednesday, August 17, 2005 3:00 p.m. EDT

A Teachable Moment
A local insurgent attacked a settlement near Crawford, Texas, yesterday, Reuters reports:

Some 800 white wooden crosses, bearing the names of soldiers killed in Iraq like her son, have lined the road near the area where [Cindy] Sheehan has pitched a tent. Witnesses said they saw a truck dragging a pipe and chains drive over some of the crosses on Monday night.

Larry Northern, 46, of nearby Waco, Texas, was arrested and charged with criminal mischief in connection with the incident, Crawford Police Chief Donnie Tidmore said.

Now, we have no truck with mischievous criminals, but at the same time it's important to understand what motivates people to do things like this. After all, one man's vandal is another's freedom-fighter. The Sheehanoids should be asking: Why do they hate us?

Think about it: If outside settlers were occupying your land, demonizing your leaders and slandering your country, wouldn't you have feelings of rage and hopelessness? Again, we're not condoning what Larry Northern allegedly did. Our point is that only by understanding what drove him to this desperate act can we put an end to the cycle of recrimination.