PDA

View Full Version : People and things that have become overrated through the course of time

Shaun Ponsonby
08-17-2005, 01:28 PM
I was thinking of a few people who have become overrated through the course of time.

Like John Bonham. Even for the time, when I hear his drum solos and stuff, I just think he's not as good as people say. He was a good drummer, but he's now thought of as one of the greatest of all time. I wholeheartedly disagree.

And Spinal Tap. Its more of a name, everyone refers to it, but its actually not as funny as people make out. There are some classic moments, and its VERY accurate, but its not THAT funny, really.

Mr. Vengeance
08-17-2005, 04:36 PM
I'm sure this won't go over well with some, but I've never understood the "Clapton is god" thing. I think he's a smooth player and the music is good in the Yardbirds, Cream, Blind Faith, or solo, but he's never played any solo that made me actually take notice. You know, like the way I did the first time I heard "Eruption" and said, WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT!!??

Jérôme Frenchise
08-17-2005, 04:47 PM
I have to disagree about your thoughts about John Bonham and Eric Clapton, pals, but I'm presently too stoned for some (good) reason to bring on receivable arguments, though I know there are some.:D

People and things, uh?

I have to mention Rubik's cube, totally useless when you think back.:D

Musically, synths are being proved to be the ugliest and silliest instruments ever made. Even if it's always been obvious for the majority of us, now even most people are getting aware of it.

Unchainme
08-17-2005, 05:33 PM
Nirvana is the most overrated band of all time, Cobain is such a deuche bag, That bastard destroyed not just Heavy Metal, but Rock And Roll in general. FUCK COBAIN!!!!

superdave
08-17-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
Nirvana is the most overrated band of all time, Cobain is such a deuche bag, That bastard destroyed not just Heavy Metal, but Rock And Roll in general. FUCK COBAIN!!!!

You hit it right on the head---I hate Nirvana

Mr Badguy
08-17-2005, 06:56 PM
Aerosmith.

"America`s rock n roll band" my ass.

Don`t get me wrong, they`ve made some good albums but where would they have been today without John Kalodner, Desmond Child, Jim Vallance and Bruce Fairbairn?

Mr. Vengeance
08-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by superdave
You hit it right on the head---I hate Nirvana

I have to say that's true. Nevermind was absolutely kick ass, but the fact that the're held up as this revolutionary band, bugs me. And the killing metal angle (like it will ever die) bugs me too.

Unchainme
08-17-2005, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Aerosmith.

Don`t get me wrong, they`ve made some good albums but where would they have been today without John Kalodner, Desmond Child, Jim Vallance and Bruce Fairbairn?

Hey!!!! Their my Secound Favorite Band, The one thing I can never get though ius that they rate GN'R Better than them, and GN'r was only around for like 8 years. Versus Aerosmith whom is atleast still making music.

Matt White
08-17-2005, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby

Like John Bonham. Even for the time, when I hear his drum solos and stuff, I just think he's not as good as people say. He was a good drummer, but he's now thought of as one of the greatest of all time. I wholeheartedly disagree.

I have a friend, a jazz drummer, who felt the same way about Bonzo, Shaun.
Then, I showed him that LED ZEPPELIN LIVE DVD........and he knows how awesome BONZO was.....

Check it out for yourself.

Matt White
08-17-2005, 11:15 PM
Totaly Disagree with the NIRVANA analysis.....GRATE band....maybe not as influential as their made out to be....

BUt, they KILLED hair-metal...And...That's a GOOD thing.

Mr. Vengeance
08-17-2005, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Matt White

BUt, they KILLED hair-metal...And...That's a GOOD thing.

Really?? What's come out since then that's been any good?

Golden AWe
08-18-2005, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
Really?? What's come out since then that's been any good?

Tons of GRATE metal music...with some talent 95 % of the hair metal bands never had...

Unchainme
08-18-2005, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
Tons of GRATE metal music...with some talent 95 % of the hair metal bands never had...

No I still think Nirvana has killed ALL Metal, Listen to the modern metal music, Its just the same song over and over, it usually just some guy bitching about his Girlfriend and how she doesn't like him and how he wants to kill him. Yeah Thanks Kurt you realll have made Music enjoyable (Sarcasm).I'm really hate the guy, He really did turnMusic into the sorry state it is right now, Hell Even Hari Metal is better than the shit thats out now. (I auctually Like Hair Mwtal.)

Soul Reaper
08-18-2005, 07:25 AM
erm..Jimi Hendrix?

Unchainme
08-18-2005, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
erm..Jimi Hendrix?

I Think Hendirx has influenced every kid that ever picked up a Guitar,There is no way in Hell That he's overrated, at least in that sense.

Soul Reaper
08-18-2005, 08:09 AM
yes, but imo, there loads of guitarists that are better than him

FORD
08-18-2005, 09:59 AM

Horseshit.

Any band WORTHY of surviving the early 90's did just fine. Sorry if I don't mourn the loss of fucking Slaughter, Poison, and Winger.

As for Kurt Cobain, he was a decent guy who made the music he wanted to make. He didn't want to be "spokesman for a generation" or leader of a goddamn movement or anything of that sort. If you would have told him in 1987 that 4 years later he would have the number 1 album in the country, he would have laughed his ass off.

Cheese "metal" destroyed itself through endless repetition of the same fucking cheese ballads and crappy videos. An entire genre of music that began as Van Halen wannabes ended up out-cheesing Van Hagar. Something had to blow that crap off the radio. And thank GOD something did.

Unchainme
08-18-2005, 10:46 AM
I just think it would have been better if Nirvana Faded out and not burned out, I think Music would sound a lot better today, By 1994 Nirvana was slowly losing popularity and Bands Like Soundgarden, Radiohead and Stone Temple Pilots, were starting to gain popularity, The Grunge era would have lasted a lot longer if Cobain hadn't kllled himself, and there would be none of this shitty Pop music around, I will agree that Nirvana was a grate band, In Fact they deserve to be in the top 25, But not in front of Van Halen etc. I don't knoiw, Kurt could have saved rock If he didn't fucking kill himself. Thats why I am pissed off at the guy, So much progress could have been made with Rock Music.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-18-2005, 11:45 AM
I agree with Clapton. I remember seeing him playing at Buckingham Palace a couple of years ago and he wasn't even playing lead. Its not because he is great, its because he's been around for a long time.

There are some people who I don't particulary like, but I can't deny their impact. Like The Rolling Stones. Never been much of a fan, always felt that they were dubbed the south's answer to the northern Beatles because cockneys didn't like northeners being so big. But, they were influencial.

Jimi Hendrix I'm not too keen on, but he was very influencial and he kinda helped shape the way for the way music would be written in future. And, at the time, he was good, its not until people like EVH and Steve Vai came along with showboating skills that he started being eclipsed.

And then there are people who were appreciated in their time as much as they are now (after death), like Freddie Mercury. Everyone knew what a great talent he was even before he died.

Originally posted by Matt White
I have a friend, a jazz drummer, who felt the same way about Bonzo, Shaun.
Then, I showed him that LED ZEPPELIN LIVE DVD........and he knows how awesome BONZO was.....

Check it out for yourself.

I agree, he was a good drummer...but I have heard people say he was the greatest ever, and I think thats completely inaccurate. What about Neil Peart? What about Mike Portnoy? What about Buddy Rich? (I think the lastof the 3 could be the greatest).

Terry
08-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Think some people and things just seem so great in retrospect when contrasted with the drivel we're subjected to on a daily basis these days.

Was never a huge Nirvana fan, but at least Cobain had some authenticity in his approach that is totally nonexistent with second-hand Seattle wannabes like Puddle Of Mudd (or however the fuck it's spelled), or the whiny strains of Nu Metal.

Looking back, there was plenty of shit thrown out to the public in the 1960s, 70s and 80s (Nixon, disco fever, Bon Jovi) that sucked just as bad as the lamest shit floating around out there today.

FORD
08-18-2005, 12:32 PM
I just think it would have been better if Nirvana Faded out and not burned out, I think Music would sound a lot better today, By 1994 Nirvana was slowly losing popularity and Bands Like Soundgarden, Radiohead and Stone Temple Pilots, were starting to gain popularity, The Grunge era would have lasted a lot longer if Cobain hadn't kllled himself, and there would be none of this shitty Pop music around, I will agree that Nirvana was a grate band, In Fact they deserve to be in the top 25, But not in front of Van Halen etc. I don't knoiw, Kurt could have saved rock If he didn't fucking kill himself. Thats why I am pissed off at the guy, So much progress could have been made with Rock Music.

Well, without getting into the whole "Kurt was murdered" thing, you're entirely spreading blame the wrong direction.

The reason music SUCKS for the most part right now is because the record industry is controlled by 4 companies and radio markets are controlled by 3 companies. What's happening in the corporate music world is similar to what's happenned on TV this decade, i.e.reality shows.

Just as it's easier for TV networks not have to pay actors salaries, hire writers, build elaborate sets, etc, it's the same for music corporations to hire American Idol type "singers" who usually have no writing ability or musical talent as far as playing an instrument.

Granted, these type of coprorate acts have always existed, but they haven't dominated music in this way since the early 60's in that dark period between the demise of all the major 50's stars (one way or another) and the eventual British invasion led by the Beatles.

Tragically, even if there WERE a "new Beatles" or a "new Zeppelin" or a "new Van Halen" out there, they would never get signed in the current corporatized environment, because the labels don't want bands who are in control of their own material and their own musical destiny.

Unchainme
08-18-2005, 12:49 PM
I know its just sad what has happened to Music in the last 10 years, I'm a so fucking sick of it, Any time I turn on the Rock station on the radio, and I'll listen and they'll play like Unchained And I'm all psyched and like YEAH!! Play some more Kickass music and They switch to this Depressing Nu Metal Shit and Fell like I'm going to puke, then you turn on the top 40 station and they play the same shitty rap song every time, I swear to god its like the 70's except theres no escape, No Aeromsith, Zeppelin or Floyd to listen to. Its like Hell or soemthing, And Do Even Get Me started On NO Music Televison.

Mr Badguy
08-18-2005, 01:22 PM
yes, but imo, there loads of guitarists that are better than him

I disagree.

It wasn`t about technique.

He revolutionized guitar playing.

More than anyone before or since.

He was also probably the first black music icon, bridging the gap between rock, soul, funk, psychedelia, jazz and many other genres.

Make no mistake, Hendrix is a genuine legend.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Its sad that people are getting brainwashed with this stuff from an early age. Something needs to be done, but nothing can be done.

I mean, things like Pop Idol (the original American Idol from the UK) and X-Factor are good TV (except for Sharon Osbourne on X Factor), but I lose interest after the people who can't sing have gone.

nosuchluck
08-18-2005, 01:26 PM
Aerosmith.

couldn't agree more...

Shaun Ponsonby
08-18-2005, 01:28 PM
I disagree.

He was also probably the first black music icon, bridging the gap between rock, soul, funk, psychedelia, jazz and many other genres.

Indeed.

Could never call myself a plan, but you can't deny his impact.

Alex Mogilny
08-18-2005, 10:37 PM
Clapton is not over rated......ask any guitarist. Bad solos...listen to the fucking solo from 'crossroads'....holy shit, that will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

Hendrix....is on his own planet, no one touches this guy.

Aerosmith...if I want to listen to a shitty imitation of the stones...i'll go to a bar on a saturday night...aerosmith sucks.

Nirvana.....the first time i heard 'smells like teen spirit' i had to sit down, it made my knees week. I bought the album the next day and was further impressed, absolutely fantastic....i think 'in utero' is an even better album.

so who is over rated?????:

U2... fuck I am sick of them
Puff Daddy or any other fucker that samples old rock songs puts a drum machine behind it and raps to it...FUCK!

Bill Lumbergh
08-19-2005, 02:00 AM
I've NEVER been a Jimi Hendrix fan...........don't know what's so damn special about those songs. Obviously a great player, but I think the songwriting AND vocals were shit.............

Bill Lumbergh
08-19-2005, 02:02 AM
John Bonham overrated? :rolleyes:

Coyote
08-19-2005, 03:37 AM
Kiss.

NightProwler
08-19-2005, 03:42 AM
shaun

Rather than bitch about what you think is over-rated, why don't you tell us who you think the best drummer is and which is the best rock movie?

That would be far more interesting.

Golden AWe
08-19-2005, 04:43 AM
shut up PIG

you're a NOBODY, so you cunt ask anybody to do anything

Mr Badguy
08-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
I've NEVER been a Jimi Hendrix fan...........don't know what's so damn special about those songs. Obviously a great player, but I think the songwriting AND vocals were shit.............

It`s easy to say that now.

In 1966, nothing in the world sounded like Jimi Hendrix.

And if "Purple haze", "Bold as love", "Little wing", "Voodoo Child (slight return)", Crosstown traffic" and "Angel" aren`t special songs, I don`t know what are.

Mr. Vengeance
08-19-2005, 10:46 AM
U2 is a hugely overated band, since they suck shit. Frankly, if everyone thought they sucked shit, they'd still be overated IMO.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-19-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Coyote
Kiss.

80% Image
20% Music

They got it all wrong.

NightProwler
08-19-2005, 12:22 PM
golden awwwww

Do you have to whine at me even when I'm NOT responding to you?

Shaun Ponsonby
08-19-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by NightProwler
shaun

Rather than bitch about what you think is over-rated, why don't you tell us who you think the best drummer is and which is the best rock movie?

That would be far more interesting.

BEST DRUMMER
Buddy Rich

BEST ROCK MOVIE
Still Crazy (stars Billy Connolly, Tim Spall, Jimmy Nail, Stephen Rea and the great Bill Nighy and is about a classic rock band who reform and go back on the road)

I would say 'Bad News', but it wasn't a movie, it was an episode of "The Comic Strip Presents..." and was actually made before Spinal Tap.

Now, go and fuck yourself up the arse with a cucumber.

NightProwler
08-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Isn't it nice how everyone can have an opinion?

I've heard Buddy Rich (not my favorite drummer).

Never heard of "Still Crazy"...I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

The Spinal Tap guys ripped off some brits? Who'd have believed it? (I've seen "Bad News")

;+)

Shaun Ponsonby
08-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Buddy was better than John Bonham, thats for sure.

NightProwler
08-19-2005, 12:36 PM
It's all a matter of opinion.

Mr Badguy
08-19-2005, 06:33 PM
U2?

Yes, I forgot about them.

I never heard any of their songs and got vaguely excited.

We could have a winner.

Bill Lumbergh
08-20-2005, 12:04 AM
It`s easy to say that now.

In 1966, nothing in the world sounded like Jimi Hendrix.

And if "Purple haze", "Bold as love", "Little wing", "Voodoo Child (slight return)", Crosstown traffic" and "Angel" aren`t special songs, I don`t know what are.

No matter how hard I've tried, I could just never get into his stuff. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Rikk
08-20-2005, 12:09 AM

Shut up!:mad:

NIRVANA were not only one of the loudest bands with great songwriting, they successfully killed off a million stagnant, shitty hair bands and upped the bar. Without them, we'd never have exposure for ALICE IN CHAINS, SOUNDGARDEN and any number of excellent bands that came out in the early 90s.

Rikk
08-20-2005, 12:09 AM
U2?

Yes, I forgot about them.

I never heard any of their songs and got vaguely excited.

We could have a winner.

U2 is the most over-rated band in rock history. Used to be a big fan some time ago. Now I realize that there are much better bands that receive far less accolades.

Rikk
08-20-2005, 12:12 AM
80% Image
20% Music

They got it all wrong.

First off, Bonham: do you play drums? I can't tell you that so many of the drummers that people think are so brilliant actually have drum parts that are fairly easy. But Bonham? Rock-steady, the king of the amazing drum roll, the king of the great drum sound, and he can play a million beats a million ways and make other drummers (like myself) scratch their heads.

Second: KISS? Every KISS fan I know loves the music way more than the image. I like the make-up era more, but only because I like those albums more. But that said, I don't care. When I'm listening to a KISS song, I just care about whether it's good or not. I don't care if the person singing it is wearing make-up or what the stage looks like when they play it live. KISS is like heavy Beatles...a totally distinct style...and a great one.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Rikk

Now, thats not very nice.

First off, Bonham: do you play drums? I can't tell you that so many of the drummers that people think are so brilliant actually have drum parts that are fairly easy. But Bonham? Rock-steady, the king of the amazing drum roll, the king of the great drum sound, and he can play a million beats a million ways and make other drummers (like myself) scratch their heads.

I'm not saying he wasn't a great drummer, because he was. I just don't think he was the best in the world, which I have heard people say. People who have never heard the likes of Buddy Rich, and other great Jazz drummers. He was a great rock drummer, but until I hear him play some Jazz drums, I'm never going to change my mind. (BTW, I'm not a drummer, but my brother is)

Second: KISS? Every KISS fan I know loves the music way more than the image. I like the make-up era more, but only because I like those albums more. But that said, I don't care. When I'm listening to a KISS song, I just care about whether it's good or not. I don't care if the person singing it is wearing make-up or what the stage looks like when they play it live. KISS is like heavy Beatles...a totally distinct style...and a great one.

I can't comment on this, because I don't know any KISS fans.

Rikk
08-20-2005, 11:48 AM
I'm not saying he wasn't a great drummer, because he was. I just don't think he was the best in the world, which I have heard people say. People who have never heard the likes of Buddy Rich, and other great Jazz drummers. He was a great rock drummer, but until I hear him play some Jazz drums, I'm never going to change my mind. (BTW, I'm not a drummer, but my brother is)

Yeah, but...we're not talking about jazz at this site. When people say best drummer, they mean best rock drummer. Just as if you compare Eddie to some of the jazz guitarists in the 20th century, he's pisswater next to them.

You said Bonham is over-rated. I disagree 100%. When it comes to rock drummers, the standard by which pretty much everyone rates him, I think he's possibly the best or at least right at the top. When it comes to jazz musicians, not one of the musicians we rate here compares to some of the best in jazz.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Hey, its an opinion, we've all got one.

I often take the opinion that differs from the majority.

Anyway, here is a signed picture of Larry Hagman, just for you.

http://www.sergioleone.net/mt-22.jpg

Big Fat Sammy
08-20-2005, 02:08 PM
yes, but imo, there loads of guitarists that are better than him (regarding JIMI)

But NONE....NONE...I said NONE more creative.

zeronumber
08-20-2005, 04:19 PM
I second the vote for nirvana. To me, they were nothing special, they were basically crap saved by the growth of the grunge era.
They were an average band, who just got lucky for the fact that they were at a hieght of a popular craze, and then got to a so called "Legendary status" because their lead singer/guitarist died at the peak of their carreer.

If they were around now they would have died in obscurity much like Pearl Jam, and the rest of the grunge era bands.

Anyway, here is my pics for overrated things:

- yo yo's: Always lame, but come back in rotation ever few years, it's a crappy toy, and a crappier present...but as soon as a kid dusts off a hand me down and brings it to a school yard, it's a big fad all over again.

Mp3 players: More specifically, ipods. Yeah, cool, holds 10,000 songs...but let's face it...In all likelyhood, you'll probably fill one up 50 songs, and forget about it. Most are incapadable with computers, and worse off, you have to buy an adapter just to listen to it on a stereo, and at 250 bucks for one...they're a huge rip off. Were as with technology is today, you can make a mp3 cd, and play it on newer model cd players that only costs 30.

Trend diets: Everybody has the secret to weight loss, but lets face it, all of these diets suck...no carbs, no meats, no cheeses...what's the fucking point? Seriously, only white, hippy liberal vegan women can follow diets like that... For what, to loose a few meger pounds and suffer? What's the point of living and looking like a mal nurished person if you can't eat the foods you like.

Guitar players: Everybody and their mother plays the guitar. A good instrument, but often overshadows other musical instruments. Guitar players are a dime a dozen, and often get credit for being the drive for the band, whereas without the bass players and drummers, there essentially is no band.

Golden AWe
08-21-2005, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by NightProwler
golden awwwww

Do you have to whine at me even when I'm NOT responding to you?

You just did.

Golden AWe
08-21-2005, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by zeronumber
I second the vote for nirvana. To me, they were nothing special, they were basically crap saved by the growth of the grunge era.
They were an average band, who just got lucky for the fact that they were at a hieght of a popular craze, and then got to a so called "Legendary status" because their lead singer/guitarist died at the peak of their carreer.

Nirvana got the gig because they had a grate drummer in Dave Grohl.

They got lucky because Kurt Cobain was a talented songwriter, and he wrote some excellent tunes. Besides, it was not Kurt's suicide that made'em and the other Seattle bands legendary - it was the lack of songwriting and talent in all the 2nd rate hair metal and other 80's stuff that committed the suicide of that era...and made some room for really talented guys like Jerry Cantrell, Dave Grohl, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, DeLeo brothers, Chris Cornell, Eddie Vedder, Mark Lanegan etc.

Soul Reaper
08-21-2005, 05:20 AM
I disagree.

agreed but imo there are lots of better guitarists than him, probably not greater than him, but better than him, yes.

Soul Reaper
08-21-2005, 05:27 AM

NIRVANA were not only one of the loudest bands with great songwriting, they successfully killed off a million stagnant, shitty hair bands and upped the bar. Without them, we'd never have exposure for ALICE IN CHAINS, SOUNDGARDEN and any number of excellent bands that came out in the early 90s.

They killed off a million hair bands only to spawn a million shitty cookie cutter emo, nu metal and indie bands. There were a lot of of great bands in the 90s, no denying that. PEARLJAM, SOUNDGARDEN, ALICE IN CHAINS...all great bands. It's just a shame about what they spawned.

Golden AWe
08-21-2005, 08:05 AM
How is it their fault?

Music industry, the greed for money is the one to blame. As I said, the lack of talent, skill and songwriting in the hairmetal bands killed them...we oughta blame them for the Limp Pissbuckets etc., if we need to find a band to blame...they (bad hair metal) were the first generation of commercial bands that really sucked ass.

Mr. Vengeance
08-21-2005, 12:42 PM
They killed off a million hair bands only to spawn a million shitty cookie cutter emo, nu metal and indie bands. There were a lot of of great bands in the 90s, no denying that. PEARLJAM, SOUNDGARDEN, ALICE IN CHAINS...all great bands. It's just a shame about what they spawned.

All you had to do is look at the fucking size of the ALTERNATIVE section in a recod store after Nirvana. It was the largest section of the store. What part of ALTERNATIVE do people not understand? It should never be the biggest section.

Too many copycat grunge bands killed the movement faster than the original punk scene self destructed.

flappo
08-21-2005, 02:04 PM
yeah , buddy rich was amazing , keith moon too !

Mr Badguy
08-21-2005, 06:47 PM
agreed but imo there are lots of better guitarists than him, probably not greater than him, but better than him, yes.

What do you mean better?

Faster?

Knows more obscure chords?

Hendrix could draw emotion from a guitar that came right from his soul.

Listen to his solo from Band of Gypsys "Machine gun".

That`s pissed off shit.

And check out the Hendrix "Woodstock" DVD thread for a MP3 of Hendrix (literally) making his axe say "FUCK YOU MOTHERFUCKER".

If that ain`t genius I don`t know what is.

Mr Badguy
08-21-2005, 06:51 PM
All you had to do is look at the fucking size of the ALTERNATIVE section in a recod store after Nirvana. It was the largest section of the store. What part of ALTERNATIVE do people not understand? It should never be the biggest section.d.

Maybe they should fill that section with Poison CDs now?

franksters
08-21-2005, 08:22 PM
that band called OASIS, i just don't get it...

MAX
08-21-2005, 08:26 PM
80% Image
20% Music

They got it all wrong.

Not true at all. They have a lot of great songs. I never really realized it up until I had to learn a bunch a few weeks ago. They actually have a ton of clever hooks and riffs. Stellar fuckin' catalogue of tunes.

MAX
08-21-2005, 08:30 PM
I pretty much disagree with everything that has been mentioned within this thread with the exception of U2. Sure, I don't mind and actually like a bit of their stuff up through the early 90's. After that and a lot prior, they were fucking average at best. Nothing fucking legendary about them at all.

Warham
08-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Nirvana got the gig because they had a grate drummer in Dave Grohl.

They got lucky because Kurt Cobain was a talented songwriter, and he wrote some excellent tunes. Besides, it was not Kurt's suicide that made'em and the other Seattle bands legendary - it was the lack of songwriting and talent in all the 2nd rate hair metal and other 80's stuff that committed the suicide of that era...and made some room for really talented guys like Jerry Cantrell, Dave Grohl, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, DeLeo brothers, Chris Cornell, Eddie Vedder, Mark Lanegan etc.

Very good post, GA.

Rikk
08-21-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by zeronumber
If they were around now they would have died in obscurity much like Pearl Jam, and the rest of the grunge era bands.

Yeah. "Obscurity". LMFAO. You're such an idiot. Every time PEARL JAM does a tour, they sell out arenas. Just because they aren't teen-pop sensations anymore doesn't mean they aren't still a big and established act.

Or did your dad tell you all this too, ZeroInches?:rolleyes:

Rikk
08-21-2005, 09:20 PM
How is it their fault?

Music industry, the greed for money is the one to blame. As I said, the lack of talent, skill and songwriting in the hairmetal bands killed them...we oughta blame them for the Limp Pissbuckets etc., if we need to find a band to blame...they (bad hair metal) were the first generation of commercial bands that really sucked ass.

Bingo.

I love how people try to blame NIRVANA for the shitty bands that came afterwards. I mean, how many shitty bands tried to copy LED ZEPPELIN? That doesn't make ZEPPELIN any less grate.

Unchainme
08-21-2005, 10:26 PM
I just miss good music, I am so sick of hearing ABSOLUTE SHIT in music today.

Rikk
08-21-2005, 10:30 PM
There is always good music out there. Some people would rather just sit back and talk about the old times and bitch about the Top 40. But there are always good albums coming out. One just has to look for them.

When I was in my early teens, I was listening to all this hair metal crap and rolling my eyes. My punk rock and old Van Halen tapes kept me alive through it.

Unchainme
08-21-2005, 11:08 PM
There is always good music out there. Some people would rather just sit back and talk about the old times and bitch about the Top 40. But there are always good albums coming out. One just has to look for them.

When I was in my early teens, I was listening to all this hair metal crap and rolling my eyes. My punk rock and old Van Halen tapes kept me alive through it.

Yeah, I guess your right, I really enjoyed Velvet Revolvers Album, and the are a few good bands, it just seemed like there were better bands back a long time a go.

Warham
08-21-2005, 11:25 PM
Foo Fighters!!!

Unchainme
08-21-2005, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Foo Fighters!!!

Is someone getting the best the best the best of You?

Soul Reaper
08-22-2005, 07:29 AM
How is it their fault?

I never said it was their fault, I just said that lots of bands started to copy their style (just like the hair metal phase) and therefore spawned the emo, nu-metal and indie bands you see today

Soul Reaper
08-22-2005, 07:31 AM
as Rikk said, the copycat bands doesn't make NIRVANA, ALICE IN CHAINS and SOUNDGAREN any less great. I love those bands, it's just that inevitably bands started to copy them a form the music you see today.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-22-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by franksters
that band called OASIS, i just don't get it...

I liked them when I was about...how old was I in 1996? About 8, maybe 9. Then, I grew out of them and started to listen to real bands.

Mr Badguy
08-22-2005, 06:46 PM
I`ve never liked Oasis.

There`s nothing special about their songs at all.

And they always seem so self important.

Shite.

Hoongood
08-22-2005, 10:19 PM
Zeppelin
Clapton
Morrison
and the ultimate overrated band...
Nirvana

Mr Badguy
08-23-2005, 07:19 AM
Motley crue.

As much as I like them they were never as big as they would now have you believe.

Good band, good songs but nothing great.

FORD
08-23-2005, 10:20 AM
Bingo.

I love how people try to blame NIRVANA for the shitty bands that came afterwards. I mean, how many shitty bands tried to copy LED ZEPPELIN? That doesn't make ZEPPELIN any less grate.

And I don't think any of the Nirvana imitators ever killed their entire fanbase (and one of their guitarists) in a fire, like a certain Zep wannabe band did.

Mr. Vengeance
08-23-2005, 11:19 AM

At the same time, I was a teen listening to the so-called hair metal bands, absolutely loving it. It saved me from the shitty synthesizer-pop bullshit music that was out during the early-mid 80's. I still listen to it now. Very few of those bands would I call fantastic musicians, but they all were fun to listen to. Metal plus AC/DC and VH and the Ramones kept me going.

Rikk
08-23-2005, 01:22 PM
At the same time, I was a teen listening to the so-called hair metal bands, absolutely loving it. It saved me from the shitty synthesizer-pop bullshit music that was out during the early-mid 80's. I still listen to it now. Very few of those bands would I call fantastic musicians, but they all were fun to listen to. Metal plus AC/DC and VH and the Ramones kept me going.

But that's the point. Even through music periods that some call commercial crap, devoid of aristic merit, there is always good music coming out. 1986 had a lot of albums I call "commercial" crap being released, including 5150. But it also had the DEAD KENNEDYS' BEDTIME FOR DEMOCRACY.

Every time I hear somebody say: "Oh, rock 'n' roll ain't what it used to be", I roll my eyes and say "Shut up, old man." Every generation has its glory time. For me, it's the early 90s, but I've found a million bands and albums I liked after that. And the early 90s will probably always seem to be the most magical because that's when I was a young teenager.

Rebel
08-23-2005, 02:32 PM
Nirvana didn't kill rock, they just changed it. I for one didn't mind the "hair metal" fading in the late 80s, most of it was shit anyway. I wouldn't say Pearl Jam has faded into obscurity, last time I checked, they were one of the top touring bands in the world. I'm not even a fan of either of these two (I have Nevermind and In Utero, nothing by PJ), but their significance can't be denied.

Aerosmith is the worst band ever.........

Shaun Ponsonby
08-23-2005, 03:00 PM
1986 had a lot of albums I call "commercial" crap being released, including 5150.

Thats one thing I don't get, when fans of an already popular band say that they "went commercial".

Van Halen were ALWAYS a commercial band, otherwise, they wouldn't have any albums go diamond.

People say Pink Floyd went commercial after Waters left, when they were actually more commercial (ie-selling more records) WITH Waters.

People said that Yes went commercial when Trevor Rabin joined, when they were seling out stadiums in Europe anyway.

Mr Badguy
08-23-2005, 07:08 PM
Thats one thing I don't get, when fans of an already popular band say that they "went commercial".

Van Halen were ALWAYS a commercial band, otherwise, they wouldn't have any albums go diamond.

People say Pink Floyd went commercial after Waters left, when they were actually more commercial (ie-selling more records) WITH Waters.

People said that Yes went commercial when Trevor Rabin joined, when they were seling out stadiums in Europe anyway.

I think formulaic would be a better word than commercial.

I think it`s when bands start to write songs/albums that all follow a similar pattern.

I think Yes is a good example.

Before "90125" none of their songs ever followed any kind of songwriting code but with the arrival of Rabin it was verse chorus verse chorus middle eight chorus.

The only problem is that often the formula is only good for a couple of albums at best.

Ask Bryan Adams, ZZ Top, Def Leppard, even Yes.

All multi platinum until the well dried up.

Nario Lee Roth
08-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Nirvana
Sex Pistols
Oasis
Motorhead
Fuckin Wank

Nario Lee Roth
08-23-2005, 07:30 PM
Nirvana And Oasis Are Terrible

Mr Badguy
08-23-2005, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Nario Lee Roth

Motorhead
Fuckin Wank

I hardly think you can call Motorhead overrated.

They don`t sell a great deal of albums and never cracked America.

Thirty years of never comprimising deserves anyones respect.

ACE OF SPADES!

Quite possibly the definitive Heavy Metal song.

Nuff said.

Unchainme
08-23-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Rebel
Aerosmith is the worst band ever.........

????, I take it you haven't listened to Get Your Wings, Toys In The Attic, Rocks or Live Bootleg?, Maybe someone of there new stuff isn't as good, But for the love of God , Check out those four albums before ya call 'em the worst band ever.

Coyote
08-24-2005, 07:59 AM
For some reason, Motley Crue doesn't appeal to me that much.