PDA

View Full Version : Skyscraper

audiospectrum
08-17-2005, 07:21 PM
Skyscraper is my new favourite album. It is the most feel good, pick you up off the floor, wipe away the love blues, high on life album I have ever heard. Crack the skies like lightning!!!!!!!!!!

I found myself in deep relaxation listening to this two nights ago, just absolutely 'tuned' into Dave's voice and the sounds around it. I was singing every song, every chorus in total dedication. Stand up, the more you do it the less you fall down!! Perfect for detachment. This is a masterpiece, but many wont consider this to be so because they are dissillusioned by the synth and avoidance of hard rock, although this very much rocks. Listen to the stories in each song!!! Wow!! Dave has NEVER let me down, NEVER!!!!! So we hit the road.....

DlocRoth
08-19-2005, 10:46 PM
No love for ya on this thread, man...LOL

Here's a bump.

Skyscraper's a great album.

2 fools is the cut.

Bill Lumbergh
08-20-2005, 12:05 AM
:cool:

NAHTAN
08-20-2005, 12:10 AM
HINA is the best song on Skyscraper. Crank it way up, especially the bass, and listen to the way Sheehan kicks in the bass in the intro. Some powerful shit.

Big Troubles
08-20-2005, 03:23 PM
"When the fire burns 'Neath a zombie moon
You feel the winds of change oh the drums will tell that tune
And you know it's true, baby"

some of Daves best lyrics were on Skyscraper. I think people wanted so much more outta Dave at this point. More harder, edgier material. Instead we got a lot of synths and heavily edited music.

I have not listened to it in awhile, so i will put it in again and give er another go. This thread turned out to be inspiring. :D

audiospectrum
08-21-2005, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Big Troubles

some of Daves best lyrics were on Skyscraper. I think people wanted so much more outta Dave at this point. More harder, edgier material. Instead we got a lot of synths and heavily edited music.

I have not listened to it in awhile, so i will put it in again and give er another go. This thread turned out to be inspiring. :D

Dude I appreciate it. Skyscraper gets a bad rap sometimes, but it's very very inspirational. You just know that Dave is in ULTRA_HIGH on life mode, and that's what we all strive for. It makes me strive harder, higher, I can do it because I believe in Dave. He will NEVER let you down, just hear the album, hear it!!!!!

Dirty Duck
09-01-2005, 01:29 PM
I like the fact that we here at the Roth army respect ALL of Dave's stuff...and I do like SKYSCRAPER. But (you knew that was coming right?) It feels rushed to me at times. I LOVE Hina,Damn good,Knucklebones,ect.I dont know...It's a love/hate relationship. I know I know..we all have opinions. Trust me brother..I do like the album...I just wished THAT line up stayed together.

audiospectrum
09-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Dirty Duck
Trust me brother..I do like the album...I just wished THAT line up stayed together.

I agree with THAT. Listening to Hina, Steve and Dave are on top of their game. I mean who the fuck writes guitar licks like Steve in Hina??? Amazing stuff!! I love this album, a real love album, and Dave actually lets you see a little more about him if you're switched on enough. And the way he finishes with Two Fools A Minute, I just love the way he self-mocks himself, because we're ALL suckers for love. THAT'S the feeling I had with my last relationship. When you know deep down it's in the shitter, but you say to yourself... hey I'll ride it out, up the road, turn right next Thursday, think that's where I'll be, I ain't drowning...

Loons The Great
04-05-2006, 07:05 AM
Skyscraper...I'd really likes to hear the ol' demos from this a here record that include no keyboards...

guwapo_rocker
04-05-2006, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Loons The Great
Skyscraper...I'd really likes to hear the ol' demos from this a here record that include no keyboards...

Yes!!! Billy Sheehan said the album really rocked before it was over produced.

I like the songs.....I don't like the mix.

JumpinJack
04-05-2006, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by audiospectrum
[..]but it's very very inspirational. You just know that Dave is in ULTRA_HIGH on life mode, and that's what we all strive for. It makes me strive harder, higher, I can do it because I believe in Dave. He will NEVER let you down, just hear the album, hear it!!!!!

Man, you kinda like this album don't ya? ;)
This is what Rock 'N' Roll should do. It should lift you up, anytime, anywhere. And it's tough to beat DLR when it comes to that!

Skyscraper has lots of great moments and songs. No need to list them!!
I agree though on the sound being a bit too polished. Goes true for the guitar especially.
But hey, that record still is a hell of a lot of fun to listen to, party to, to relax to or just: to feel good to!

bueno bob
04-06-2006, 04:32 AM
On a personal level, I thought ALAE was three times the album Skyscraper was.

Most of my naysaying comes from overproduction and being keyboarded to death - plus the fact that I've never been a Steve Vai fan and have hated almost every single note he's played for anybody post Alcatrazz. I still to this day don't like Hot Dog and a Shake and think Damn Good is a very worn down and defeated sounding song...just gives me a huge bummer to listen to it.

On the flip side, there are some moments there that I just can't live without...Just Like Paradise, The Bottom Line, Stand Up, Skyscraper...

I don't know, I'm somewhere in the 70/30 on it.

audiospectrum
04-07-2006, 11:08 PM
To be totally honest, I think it sounds better (HDAAS, Damn good) when you listen to the record. The CD just doesn't cut it for me, and with the record you get the big fuck-off pictures to look at, that huge front cover!!!

bueno bob
04-08-2006, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by audiospectrum
To be totally honest, I think it sounds better (HDAAS, Damn good) when you listen to the record. The CD just doesn't cut it for me, and with the record you get the big fuck-off pictures to look at, that huge front cover!!!

There's a whole world of debate on the vinyl vs. CD aspect, for sure...I still think vinyl sounds meatier than CD...

trueblue
04-10-2006, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Big Troubles

Lyrically and vocally i think Dave on SS matched the white-hot intensity found in the apparent fan favourite--EEAS...I agree with your point about fans' expectations in '88 after the superb EEAS...I sure wanted heavy,razor-sharp dangerous rock tunes then...I still have very strongly mixed feelings about SS...i love Dave's singing, the lyrics and terrific vibe..It's obvious he had great fun making the record..and as always he made sure we had a swell time too....but i can never like the synth-pop sound overkill...And when i hear the album today, i am convinced that Steve Vai was clearly so under-par for Dave....His squealing sounds and silly solos just dont impress me at all...Jason, Terry, Mike and John gave Dave much better service with their guitar playing than Steve did on EEAS and SS...Finally, another point about the excessive synth use on SS...It strikes me as a huge irony that so much has been said and written about how Dave was dead against and hated Eddie's growing love-affair with synths and using them on VH records...1984 proved Eddie had his way...Dave must have made a massive leap of faith to accept SS with the synth sounds everywhere...BUT, i gotta say, at least Dave still managed to rock and give fans top-drawer pop on SS..

DeadOrAlive
04-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Stand up.

audiospectrum
04-18-2006, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by trueblue
BUT, i gotta say, at least Dave still managed to rock and give fans top-drawer pop on SS..

Wow. Interesting to hear you rate Steve Vai, something I can relate to. Although he is great (some of that shit on Hina is just ace) I can see where you are coming from, and can't half agree with you.
I've been pumping Skyscraper THE RECORD lately and it sure is a great feel good listen. It's one of those albums you just can't go wrong with. And with all the shit around at the time that had keyboards, Dave used keyboards and really made 'em work. Better than Van Hagar, better than most other 'full-time' keyboard bands. The guy's a genius, and the record is impossible to frown at.

DeadOrAlive
04-19-2006, 12:55 AM
This has got to be my favorite DLR solo album