PDA

View Full Version : Disabled kid tossed from movies.

classicdude
08-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Hard to believe in today's touchy-feely politically correct atmosphere this could happen.

Disabled Boy Booted From Theater For Laughing Too Loudly

POSTED: 10:20 am CDT August 18, 2005

WALLKILL, N.Y. -- The family of a disabled 7-year-old boy wants an apology from a movie theater after the manager threw him out for laughing too loudly.

The parents of Anthony Pratti said it happened Sunday in Wallkill, when they took their son to see "March of the Penquins."

The boy has cerebral palsy and autism. The family said he was enjoying the movie from his wheelchair when a theater worker said he was laughing too loudly, and would have to leave. Gina Pratti said they would try to have their son laugh more quietly, but the manager wanted him to leave.

She said she was dumbfounded when the manager told them the entire family didn't have to go, just the boy in the wheelchair.

The manager refunded everyone's money.

A representative of Loews Cineplex told a Middletown newspaper they are looking into the matter.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Baby's On Fire
08-18-2005, 11:18 PM
LMFAO!!!!

The kid should learn to shut his fucking mouth next time. So what if he's handicapped; he has to follow the rules like everyone else.

BenJammin
08-19-2005, 12:38 AM
Hard to comment without being there, but it does pose some questions...

Where does one draw the line between people with 'special' needs and the rights of others?

I don't know, and it's a touchy subject. On one hand, some handicapped people are treated overly-kind by people and they [the handicapped] actually resent it, and understandably so.

I would suppose the majority of handicapped ppl just want to be treated normally, even if it means calling them an asshole, a whore, selfish, or whatever they are doing that would outherwise be addressed with an able bodied person. i.e., Maybe most of them don't want to get away with bad behavior just because of their physical problems. It's really about being honest, where if you treat them like you would anybody else, going so far to call them on their bad shit, then they realize you see them as equals and not some pathetic disabled person and being all touchy feely with them.

But alas, as far as this thread goes, I know... autistic people are on a different level, so that stuff probably doesn't apply in this case.

Hardrock69
08-19-2005, 01:33 AM
Here is their webpage. I saved it into a zip file.

Check out their policy above the movie listings.

Hardrock69
08-19-2005, 02:03 AM
Here...this is more like it:

Hardrock69
08-19-2005, 03:03 AM
Fuck, ignore those files. Here is a screen shot. I shoulda done this in the first place:

fryingdutchman
08-19-2005, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Fuck, ignore those files. Here is a screen shot. I shoulda done this in the first place:

That's fucking exquisite!!!

LMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

fryingdutchman
08-19-2005, 05:19 AM
Was that disclaimer written by Marge Schott before she died??

Soul Reaper
08-19-2005, 01:34 PM
it isn't exactly fair if he can't help it. but maybe they should tape his mouth next time

"March of the Penguins"??!!

Mr. Vengeance
08-19-2005, 01:51 PM
Why the fuck was Spammy interested in seeing the penguin movie anyway???

Susie Q
08-19-2005, 01:57 PM
I used to work with the Developmentally Disabled and Mentally Retarded population. I did direct care for over 13 years. My mood is that the people should be able to enjoy a movie, or do just about anything that we do. Where it becomes difficult is situations like this. When it becomes uncomfortable for the people that they are surrounded by. The parents were taking their child to a movie. They wanted to have a family outing. There are people who had no disabilities that act like the have major malfunctions. So who is it to say that this kid couldn't laugh? These folks have come a long way. If anyone is familiar with "Willowbrook" in down state NY, it wasn't a happening place to be if you were challenged in anyway. Geraldo Rivera did an expose' on it back in the 70's. This place was awful. The people would be sitting in their own feces, some naked, some with vomit dripping down their faces, looking like they had a bad case of scurvy all huddled up in a corner or kept in huge cribs not being attended to. Those people ended up in a place in upstate NY called Wilton Developmental Center. They had no idea on how to function on the outside world, let alone eat with utensils. Wilton closed and that is how our facility ended up with some of the folks there.

I worked in a dual diagnosed house with those that had behavior problems and mental retardation. Imagine dealing with someone that is on the level of a 3 year old who is a maniac depressive or has schitzophrenia. Imagine getting the shit knocked out of you when you are only trying to help someone brush their teeth.

I feel for this family, but I can also understand those that were in the theater with their 'normal' child and wanted a family outing. Those should not have to sacrifice. I guess in the end, I have to thank god I HAVE a normal child (or 2 or 3). :) I could hardly bare it if I had to watch one of my babies suffer, and try to make them smile in the only way I knew how.

Susie Q
08-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

P.S. now THAT was hilarious!! :D

Soul Reaper
08-19-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
Why the fuck was Spammy interested in seeing the penguin movie anyway???

maybe he wanted to see his distant relatives

Hardrock69
08-19-2005, 02:14 PM
It is just common sense that as much as is humanly possible, people with disabilities should be treated no different than any other human.

When the fantastical comedy film "The Jerk" first came out, I saw it under the influence of Lysergic Acid Diethylamide.

In that situation it was during a weekday, and there was only 4 or 5 people in the theater.

"I was born a poor black child..." (http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/mp3s.cgi?Jerk=black.mp3)

:D

I laughed so hard my sides hurt after while.

I am sure people thought i was nuts (well, I am, but I digress).

My main point is, if I was laughing like hell at something, and someone did not like it, they can kiss my happy mutherfucking ASS!!!!

That said, here is their phone number (from Fandango)

Loews Galleria Metroplex
1 N. Galleria Drive
Middletown, NY 10940
845-695-1724

Mezro
08-19-2005, 03:15 PM
Funny.

They throw out a white disabled kid for laughing too loudly but will never ask a drunk, verbally abusive African American on a cell phone to leave.

Mezro...this country is fucked...it runs so deep...

Keeyth
08-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Baby's On Fire
LMFAO!!!!

The kid should learn to shut his fucking mouth next time. So what if he's handicapped; he has to follow the rules like everyone else.

You're an ass! The kid is only 7 years old!:mad: