PDA

View Full Version : Royals closing in on being MORE inept than the Orioles

POJO_Risin
08-20-2005, 11:17 AM
KC lost their 19th in a row last night...and are 2 games away from the record of 21 in a row...

and the scary thing is...they may NEVER be good again...

Baltimore holds the AL record with 21 games in a row...

The NL mark is 23...way back in 1900...jesus...KC hasn't won since fucking July 27...

POJO_Risin
08-20-2005, 11:17 AM
Recap
Oakland vs. Kansas City

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GameCenter · Full Play-by-Play · Box Score · Recap · Game Chart · Photos Athletics Authentic Collection Stacked T-Shirt by

Save $5

Royals still can't find a win, lose 19th straight
Aug. 20, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Several Kansas City Royals trudged quietly from the clubhouse to the weight room, heads down after yet another loss.

The Royals dropped their 19th straight game Friday night, moving within two defeats of the American League record, and Jay Payton homered to help the Oakland Athletics snap a four-game skid with a 4-0 victory.

"It's unexplainable, really," Kansas City manager Buddy Bell said. "I don't think we're a playoff-contending team by any means, but I don't think we're this bad. ... We'll be all right."

Rich Harden (10-5) pitched 6 1/3 shutout innings to win for the first time in four outings since a four-start winning streak. He didn't allow a hit until Mike Sweeney's one-out double in the fourth.

Nick Swisher hit a pair of RBI doubles, playing in honor of his late grandmother after missing four games to attend her funeral in West Virginia. The A's welcomed back their rookie right fielder, who arrived in the Bay Area early Friday. He wore Betty Lorraine Swisher's "BLS" initials on his armbands and pointed to the sky after his hits.

"I had so many things going through my head," said Swisher, tied for second on the team with 60 RBI. "To be able to come out on top is nice, being able to get a couple hits. Now she has a front-row seat at every game."

Kansas City (38-82), owner of the worst record in baseball, lost its 12th straight road game to tie the club's longest single-season mark, set by the 1997 squad. The Royals were swept in a three-game series in Seattle and must now face the A's other top pitcher Saturday: 11-game winner Barry Zito. Oakland swept a three-game series from the Royals from Aug. 5-7, outscoring Kansas City 32-5.

Advertisement

Baltimore lost an AL-record 21 in a row at the start of the 1988 season. The major league mark since 1900 is 23 straight losses by the Philadelphia Phillies in 1961.

The Royals haven't won since beating the Chicago White Sox 6-5 in 13 innings on July 27.

"It's 19 now? Wow," starting pitcher Jose Lima said. "I feel terrible, because I have pride. This is really tough. I know people are booing us, and we deserve to be booed. We've lost 19 in a row. ... I don't want to come here every day and think we're going to get a whipping. You want to feel sorry for yourself. This is the toughest thing I've been through in my life."

As if the Royals don't have enough problems, they got a scare when Sweeney and Lima collided at first base on Mark Kotsay's hard grounder in the fourth. Both were slow getting up and visited by the training staff, but stayed in the game. Lima bruised his left knee on the play.

Payton connected for a solo homer in the second. He homered for the fifth time in 11 games and has 10 homers and 26 RBIs in 29 games since joining the A's in a July 13 trade with Boston. He also added a double in the third and scored twice.

After allowing a leadoff walk to David DeJesus in his 27-pitch first inning, Harden retired his next 10 batters and 14 of 15. He made a sliding catch in front of the mound on a bunt by Joe McEwing in the third. Harden allowed four hits, struck out six and walked two.

"We've lost a few in a row and we needed to turn things around," Harden said. "I'd rather face a team that's winning a lot. They're bound to turn it around at any time."

The Royals loaded the bases with one out in the eighth, then closer Huston Street got five outs for his 16th save in 20 chances to complete the five-hitter. It was the eighth time Kansas City has been shut out this year.

"It seems like every game we play we get behind early and we just can't -- we don't have any kind of consistent offensive attack," Bell said.

Oakland tagged Lima (4-12) for three runs in the second, batting around and forcing the right-hander to throw 38 pitches. Lima lost his fourth straight outing and has never beaten Oakland in five starts.

Lima, coming off his first complete game since 2001, gave up four runs, seven hits and four walks in five innings after not walking a batter in his previous start.

Notes

DeJesus left in the fourth with a sore left ribcage and was replaced by Chip Ambres. He will undergo more treatment Saturday and try to play in the night game.
Kansas City got its first baserunner to third in the eighth.
The A's optioned OF Matt Watson back to Triple-A Sacramento to free up a roster spot for Swisher.
Royals INF Mark Teahen left the team to attend his grandfather's funeral.
Payton came in batting .400 lifetime against Lima, and this was his fourth homer. "The way things are going now, everybody kills me," Lima said.
The A's earned their 10th shutout, their first since blanking the Royals 11-0 on Aug. 7.

DlocRoth
08-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Fuck being a bad team, you've got to be damn unlucky to lose that many in a row...

I bet those guys don't even want to come to the park...

They know they're gonna lose.

POJO_Risin
08-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Mike Sweeney must want to kill himself...

DlocRoth
08-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Must be...

I don't follow the Royals at all..

Is Sweeney the only guy on the team with any numbers?

It seems like all their starting pitchers are 5-12 or something.

POJO_Risin
08-20-2005, 11:38 AM
You know...they really have a Detroit feel to them...they have a ton of young pitching...with noone there to teach them how to pitch...

Detroit's pitchers started improving when they signed IRod...maybe KC needs to stop the Buck experiment...

and go after a bigtime catcher...or at least one who can call a game...

DlocRoth
08-20-2005, 11:50 AM
It would have to be huge...

I wonder what Johnny Bench is doing?

POJO_Risin
08-20-2005, 11:54 AM
Isn't he sitting on a "Bench" he just painted?

you gotta feel bad for Buddy Bell...lmfao...

Bob_R
08-20-2005, 12:37 PM
I hope the streak hits epic proporations (sp?) :)

The Royals come to the Stadium next weekend!

DlocRoth
08-20-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
Isn't he sitting on a "Bench" he just painted?

you gotta feel bad for Buddy Bell...lmfao...

Oh yeah, I forgot he's a painter now...

Guess they're out of options.

POJO_Risin
08-20-2005, 01:08 PM
Remember when Bench worked for that spray paint company?

he used to spray it on a bench...then sit on it 5 minutes later...then stand up...show his ass didn't have paint on it...and say how great the paint was...

DlocRoth
08-20-2005, 01:27 PM
Hell yes.

Can't remember the paint...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-20-2005, 04:56 PM
Hey Poj, have you seen my soapbox ???? ;)

[[ As VA is just BURSTING to make the small market team rant... ;) ]]

POJO_Risin
08-20-2005, 05:00 PM
Feel free...

KC is more inept than anything else...

but if you want to blame it on the market share...go ahead...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Nah, me and plenty of other people say it until they're blue in the face, MLB will never have the balls to rectify it, so fuck it...

I hope they break the record, just to highight it even more....

The NHL has taken a beating over the last couple of years, but just watch how good of a season they'll have with a new CBA...

POJO_Risin
08-20-2005, 05:49 PM
Again Va...there's a difference between hockey and baseball.

The US cares about baseball (whether you are blue in the face...or not)...and generally watch it. No...it's not as big as football...and is a bit smaller...

Hockey...god bless it...will never be accepted in the US as a major sport for many reasons...

If hockey didn't fix itself...it goes away...

if baseball doesn't fix itself...you'll lose some teams...and I say good...we don't need these fucking teams...

again...I do enjoy the rivalry baseball has with the Yankees...and have been lucky in my adult life to have good GM's in Cleveland so that I don't have to climb on a soapbox...Cleveland spends a year or 2 down...but never deals their heart away...and has good players long enough to make runs after 2 or 3 years away.

Now...if you run a team so that you lose your rookies every other year...or if you don't know how to develop endless talent...

you suck.

Would I like a cap?

Sure I would...so I could tell the Yankee fans to go fuck themselves. But do I want the era to end in which the Yankees aren't able to use their marquee value to their advantage?...honestly?...I don't know...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-20-2005, 07:24 PM
I won't disagree with you on the US popularity, or lack thereof, of hockey.... That's obvious...

That really wasn't my point....

My point is how the season itself will be after a CBA in which all teams operate under a common team salary structure...

Let me ask you though, and be truthful....

Do you honestly think that the Tribe will win the World Series anytime in the near future ??

If the answer is yes, I would submit that you're being overly optimistic... Just my .02...

If the answer is no, how can that be enjoyable as a baseball fan ??