PDA

View Full Version : Sapp close to signing with Bengals

Bob_R
03-20-2004, 05:30 PM
Arguably the best and also best-known player remaining in the unrestricted free agent pool, Tampa Bay Bucs defensive tackle Warren Sapp likely won't be unemployed much longer, ESPN.com has learned.

League sources told ESPN.com that Sapp on Friday night moved very close to agreement with the Cincinnati Bengals on a four-year contract. Some issues remain to be resolved but, barring a setback in the negotiations, the sources said, a deal could be struck on Friday or Saturday.

"If everything goes right," said one source with knowledge of the contract discussions, "something could happen in a matter of hours. There are still some other teams involved but it's moving pretty quickly now with (the Bengals)."

On his Web site, Sapp had listed six franchises with which he would consider continuing his career. It has been clear for the past week that Cincinnati, which reportedly has made a four-year, $16 million offer, has been more aggressive than other suitors.

Early in free agency, coach Marvin Lewis said that landing a veteran defensive tackle was his top offseason priority. The Bengals lost out on other free agents, most notably former Oakland tackle Rod Coleman, who signed with Atlanta.

Landing a player of Sapp's profile, even if his game has declined some, would be huge for the Bengals on and off the field. Sapp has not visited with the Cincinnati officials or coaches but has said he won't need a meeting for something to be completed.

Just as the Bengals' ardor for Sapp has been obvious, so has the lack of interest on the part of Tampa Bay officials in retaining the nine-year veteran. There have been no substantive discussions between Bucs officials and representatives for Sapp, and it now appears both sides are prepared to move on.

A seven-time Pro Bowl player, Sapp is coming off a season in which he totaled 58 tackles and five sacks. The sacks were the fewest since his rookie season in 1995.

Gmoney
03-20-2004, 06:48 PM
His fat ass has seen his best days!!! Must be tough when you have to play for the Bengals!!!

ALinChainz
03-20-2004, 07:37 PM
Sapp signs seven-year contract with Raiders

By FRED GOODALL, AP Sports Writer

March 20, 2004

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- Seven-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle Warren Sapp signed a seven-year, $36.6 million contract with the Oakland Raiders on Saturday, ending his nine-year relationship with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

``The bad news is I won't be back with the Bucs,'' Sapp said by telephone from Miami. ``The good news is I'm a Raider.''

The surprise move came only a day after Sapp's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said the one-time NFL defensive player of the year was close to signing a four-year deal with the Cincinnati Bengals.

Sapp will receive a $7 million signing bonus. He earned $6.6 million last year in the final season of a six-year, $36 million contract he signed in 1998.

Earlier this month, the 31-year-old tackle said he was optimistic about the prospect of re-signing with the Bucs. But that changed when his old team failed to make him an offer during the first week of the free agency period.

Sapp joined the Bucs as first-round draft pick out of Miami in 1995 and -- along with linebacker Derrick Brooks and safety John Lynch -- helped transform the Bucs from a laughingstock into Super Bowl champions.

Lynch was released last week after 11 seasons with Tampa Bay, a move that cleared about $4 million under the NFL salary cap.

Sapp leaves the only pro team he has played for two sacks shy of the franchise record of 78 1/2 held by Hall of Famer Lee Roy Selmon.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-20-2004, 08:21 PM
OVER-RATED !!!!

[[ Clap, Clap, Clap-Clap-Clap ]]

OVER-RATED !!!!

Everybody now !!!

OVER-RATED !!!!

ALinChainz
03-20-2004, 10:00 PM
Agree. I don't see him playing out this contract. Seven Pro Bowls is impressive, but I'm sure he went a couple times due to other DT's being injured and opting not to play in the game.

He should have more than broken the team sack record.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-21-2004, 08:44 AM
You know as well as I do Al, just like Lee Flowers said after the Stillers whooped the Bucs (again), they all make the Pro Bowl because of their mouths....

DLR7884
03-21-2004, 11:52 AM
Warren Sapp=way overrated.

DLR7884
Enjoy his 13 tackles and 2 sacks next year, Oakland!

ALinChainz
03-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
You know as well as I do Al, just like Lee Flowers said after the Stillers whooped the Bucs (again), they all make the Pro Bowl because of their mouths....

Has to be some kind of computer generated stat system that would work better determining who is a Pro Bowl player at each position for that given season.

In my opinion, they should scrap the game all together, the distinction of "Pro Bowl" should be enough. They will never have the game played by 2 sides of first choice, first team Pro Bowl players.

Sarge
03-22-2004, 01:23 PM
I wish he would have signed with the bengals..
That way we would have heard less of his fat ass than in Oakland!