PDA

View Full Version : Mussina named starter in opener

Bob_R
03-20-2004, 05:34 PM
BRADENTON, Fla. -- Mike Mussina was formally name Saturday as the New York Yankees' Opening Day starter.

Manager Joe Torre said Mussina will pitch the first of two games in Tokyo on March 30 against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

"He's earned that right," Torre said before the Yankees played a spring training game against Pittsburgh.

Kevin Brown will start the second game of the regular season on March 31.

Javier Vazquez will remain in Florida during the trip to Japan and get some work in minor league games. He might pitch during a series at Tampa Bay April 6-7. If the Yankees choose to use Mussina and Brown again in that series, Vazquez could start the home opener April 8 against the Chicago White Sox.

"We'll take everybody's temperature at that point in time and see where we are to see if Vazquez gets slotted in there or wait until we get home," Torre said.

Mussina is the lone veteran holdover from last year's rotation. Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte and David Wells all departed during the offseason.

Torre had said early in spring training that Mussina would probably get the opening day assignment, barring any setbacks.

Donovan Osborne and Jose Contreras are expected to pitch in exhibition games in Japan. Osborne has taken the spot of Jon Lieber, who will start the season on the disabled list with an injured right groin.

"His stuff seems good," Torre said of Osborne. "And the best part of it all is the experience and the know-how."

Osborne will probably start Wednesday night against Boston. Mussina will also pitch Wednesday in a minor league game.

wraytw
03-20-2004, 07:36 PM
Good. I was hoping he would get the nod. Vazquez starting the home opener would also be cool.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-20-2004, 08:27 PM
Is anyone else besides me getting awfully sick and fookin' tired of everyone going to Japan to start their respective seasons ???

What is it, do they like to watch them with their cute little megaphones ??

I will say this, the only positive aspect I see from these trips is that it provides a chance for our Troops stationed there to see them live, whether it's in Japan or Europe for preseason football....

That's coming from someone stationed in Japan from '84 to '87, of course BEFORE they started this crap.....

Roth & Roll
03-20-2004, 11:28 PM
Nothing wrong with taking the game to an international level. With guys like Hideki and Kaz Matsui, along with Ichiro Suzuki now playing in the Major Leagues, they're simply promoting the game in the orient, possibly opening the doors to more japanese players wanting to play MLB.

It's simply good marketing.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-21-2004, 08:52 AM
Aaah, marketing, or in layman's terms, money....

I don't have a problem with foreign players who play in MLB, it's just that the idea of a couple teams going to Japan every year to open a season is getting old IMO....

In addition, the overwhelming majority of players on those teams didn't prefer to go over there as well due to the travel....

Of course, if I were paid X-million dollars to play baseball, I'd suck it up and endure the plane ride....