Clear All
  • Warham
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Able Danger's Hidden Hand

Able Danger's hidden hand
    By Jack Kelly
    August 15, 2005

The report of the September 11 Commission, once a best seller and hailed by the news media as the definitive word on the subject, must now be moved to the fiction shelves.

The commission concluded, you'll recall, that the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon couldn't have been prevented, and that if there was negligence, it was as much the fault of the Bush administration (for moving slowly on the recommendations of Clinton counterterrorism chief Richard Clarke) than of the Clinton administration.

Able Danger has changed all of that.

Able Danger was a military intelligence unit set up by Special Operations Command in 1999. A year before the September 11 attacks, Able Danger identified hijack leader Mohamed Atta and the other members of his cell. But Clinton administration officials stopped them -- three times -- from sharing this information with the FBI.

The problem was the order Clinton Deputy Attorney General Jamie Gorelick made forbidding intelligence operatives from sharing information with criminal investigators.

"They were stopped because the lawyers at that time in 2000 told them Mohamed Atta had a green card (he didn't) and they could not go after someone with a green card," said Rep. Curt Weldon, Pennsylvania Republican, who brought the existence of Able Danger to light.

The military spooks knew only that Atta and his confederates had links to al Qaeda. They hadn't unearthed their mission. But if the FBI had kept tabs on them (a big if, given the nature of the FBI at the time), September 11 almost certainly could have been prevented.

What may be a bigger scandal is that the staff of the September 11 Commission knew of Able Danger and what it had found, but made no mention of it in its report. This is as if the commission that investigated the attack on Pearl Harbor had written its final report without mentioning the Japanese.

Mr. Weldon unveiled Able Danger in a speech on the House floor June 27, but his remarks didn't attract attention until the New York Times reported on them Tuesday.

When the story broke, former Rep. Lee Hamilton, Indiana Democrat, co-chairman of the September 11 Commission, at first denied the commission had ever been informed of what Able Danger had found, and took a swipe at Mr. Weldon's credibility:

"The September 11 Commission did not learn of any U.S. government knowledge prior to 9/11 of the surveillance of Mohamed Atta or his cell," Mr. Hamilton said. "Had we learned of it, obviously it would have been a major focus of our investigation."

Mr. Hamilton changed his tune after the New York Times reported Thursday, and the Associated Press confirmed, that commission staff had been briefed on Able Danger in October of 2003 and again in July of 2004.

It was in October of 2003 that Clinton National Security Adviser Sandy Berger stole classified documents from the National Archives and destroyed some. Mr. Berger allegedly was studying documents in the archives to help prepare Clinton officials to testify before the September 11 Commission. Was he removing references to Able Danger? Someone should ask him before he is sentenced next month.

After having first denied that staff had been briefed on Able Danger, commission spokesman Al Felzenberg said no reference was made to it in the final report because "it was not consistent with what the commission knew about Atta's whereabouts before the attacks," the AP reported.

The only dispute over Atta's whereabouts is whether he was in Prague on April 9, 2001, to meet with Samir al Ani, an Iraqi intelligence officer.

Czech intelligence insists he was. Able Danger, apparently, had information supporting the Czechs.

The CIA, and the September 11 Commission, say Atta wasn't in Prague April 9, because his cell phone was used in Florida that day. But there is no evidence of who used the phone. Atta could have lent it to a confederate. (It wouldn't have worked in Europe anyway.)

But acknowledging that possibility would leave open the likelihood that Saddam's regime was involved in, or at least had foreknowledge of, the September 11 attacks. And that would have been as uncomfortable for Democrats as the revelation that September 11 could have been prevented if it hadn't been for the Clinton administration's wall of separation.

The September 11 Commission wrote history as it wanted it to be, not as it was. The real history of what happened that terrible September day has yet to be written.

Jack Kelly, a syndicated columnist, is a former Marine and Green Beret and a former deputy assistant secretary of the Air Force in the Reagan administration. He is national security writer for the Pittsburgh (Pa.) Post-Gazette.

• FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Wow, a Scaife employee writing for the Moonie Times....

And Brian questions my sources?
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Warham
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

Just when you thought the Warren Commission couldn't have been topped for ineptness.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

This ABLE DANGER stuff is increasingly sounding like bullshit to me, now they're corroborating the "ties" between Atta and the IRAQIs, pure bullshit!

No documentary evidence, just more conjecture and rumors...

How come nothing was ever mentioned at the time the 9/11 Commission Report came out? Funny how this LTC had nothing to say until his clearance was revoked (for lying about phone charges I think).

Comment

• Warham
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

Sandy Berger was probably stuffing those Able Danger memo's down his drawers to save Slick Willy the embarrassment.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

So, in a nutshell . . . it's Clinton's fault, right?
            ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
            Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Warham
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Mar 2004

Nope. It's the fault of both administrations.

I see that I'm one of the few people here who will hammer the previous administration for their many blunders on this.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                Sandy Berger was probably stuffing those Able Danger memo's down his drawers to save Slick Willy the embarrassment.
                Don't forget JANET RENO and Willy FREEH.

Comment

• Warham
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

Janet Reno...

And you guys thought Ashcroft was bad.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Nope. It's the fault of both administrations.

I see that I'm one of the few people here who will hammer the previous administration for their many blunders on this.
                    Yes, you are always a pillar of unbiased opinions, War.
                    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Janet Reno...

Well, to her credit she never lost an election to a dead guy.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

Janet Reno...

Here's a good one... who would you rather have sex with... Reno or Asscrotch? Assume that you are a heterosexual male.

It's a tough question, isn't it.
                        ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Comment

• Warham
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                          Yes, you are always a pillar of unbiased opinions, War.
                          Well, I do admit I get carried away sometimes. Who doesn't on this forum!

But come on! This is ridiculous.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                            Here's a good one... who would you rather have sex with... Reno or Asscrotch? Assume that you are a heterosexual male.

It's a tough question, isn't it.
                            Well, RENO doesn't look like much, but she is female (I'm pretty sure) and damn, that woman can cut a rug:

Comment

• Warham
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

MY EYES!!! MY EYES!!!

Comment

Working...