PDA

View Full Version : IRAQI Insurgents Getting Bolder

Nickdfresh
08-24-2005, 06:15 PM
14 killed in Baghdad gunbattle

Wednesday, August 24, 2005; Posted: 1:43 p.m. EDT (17:43 GMT)

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/08/24/iraq.main/index.html)) -- Insurgents launched a sophisticated and well-coordinated strike against police checkpoints in Baghdad on Wednesday that left 14 dead and 59 wounded, police said.

Thirty to 40 insurgents in civilian cars fired two rocket-propelled grenades targeting police patrols at a checkpoint, striking vehicles.

Armed with RPGs, hand grenades, AK-47s and machine guns, the insurgents attacked police at other checkpoints.

Four police officers and nine civilians were killed. Twelve police were among the 59 wounded. Police said they killed at least one insurgent and wounded two others, who were arrested. (Watch video of battle aftermath)

One of the injured insurgents was from nearby Amriya, where the insurgency has support, and the other was from Haifa Street, a stretch of Baghdad where anti-U.S. sentiment is popular.

Fighting between police and insurgents lasted about 90 minutes.

After the fighting, security forces went house to house looking for insurgents.

The afternoon attack occurred in the Sunni Arab neighborhood of Jamiaa, near other insurgent strongholds, where violence has taken place in the past.

It differed from more surreptitious drive-by shootings, roadside bombings and car bombings that have become commonplace in the capital.

Police in Baghdad reported a suicide car bomb near the firefight area around the same time as the attack on the checkpoints.

The bomb targeted a convoy carrying the Samarra police chief, killing two police officers and wounding two other officers.

It is not known whether the bombing was related to the firefight.

The U.S. military said it responded to three suicide car bombings in central Baghdad at 3:15 p.m. that caused Iraqi deaths and injuries. It didn't provide specific numbers, locations or many details.

Earlier, Iraq's deputy minister of justice, Awshoo Ibrahim, escaped an assassination attempt in a western Baghdad neighborhood, police said.

Gunmen opened fire on his convoy along a major highway in the Adil neighborhood around 10 a.m. (2 a.m. ET).

Four of Ibrahim's bodyguards were killed in the attack and five others were wounded. Two vehicles were also destroyed.

On Tuesday, a suicide bombing killed seven people, including two Americans in Baquba.

A U.S. soldier from Task Force Liberty, a U.S. civilian contractor and five Iraqis -- four center employees and a police officer -- died in the strike on the Diyala Provincial Joint Coordination Center.

Among the wounded were nine Task Force Liberty soldiers, one U.S. civilian contractor, six Iraqi civilians and four Iraqi police officers.

The death brought the total of U.S. military killed in the war to 1,871 and the number of Americans killed in August to 73.
Other developments

# A U.N. agency Wednesday said the marshlands in southern Iraq -- nearly ruined under the Saddam Hussein regime -- have been making a "phenomenal" recovery, with the wetlands bouncing back to nearly 40 percent of the area they covered in the 1970s. The region -- which had been regarded as "a key natural habitat for people, wildlife and fisheries" -- had been "damaged significantly since the 1970s, due to upstream dam construction and drainage operations" by the former regime, according to the U.N. Environmental Program. (Full story)

# Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld dismissed concerns that the disputes over Iraq's constitution could lead to a civil war between Shiite and Sunni Muslims. "People have been moving together, talking, discussing things," Rumsfeld said. (Full story)

CNN's Aneesh Raman and Kianne Sadeq contributed to this report.

LoungeMachine
08-24-2005, 07:08 PM
YUMA SCORPIONS????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAAHHAAHAHHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHA

WOW

SEASON TICKETS MUST BE WHAT, $90??????????

LMMFAO!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

NO NFL????

NO MLB???????????

NO NBA?????????????

YUMA = WHERE THE LOSERS AND SNOWBIRDS END UP

FORD
08-24-2005, 08:06 PM
http://images.animationfactory.com/animations/objects/lawn_care/man_trimming_with_weed_eater/man_trimming_with_weed_eater_lg_wm.gif
Thread hijacking will not be tolerated. Please stay on topic.

NightProwler
08-24-2005, 08:07 PM
ford, you cowardly facist...your girlfriend loungeboy isn't on topic.

FORD
08-24-2005, 08:11 PM
So the weed eater missed one. It's fucking fishing wire for Christ's sake. How accurate can it be.

Guitar Shark
08-24-2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by FORD
So the weed eater missed one. It's fucking fishing wire for Christ's sake. How accurate can it be.

LOL!

NightProwler
08-24-2005, 08:16 PM
Just like dumbya...always making excuses!

Nickdfresh
08-24-2005, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by NightProwler

Awe...are we whining 'cause our retarded, redundant posts have bween flushed by da big bad FORD...

Little NightBitch got his fweewings hurt....

LoungeMachine
08-24-2005, 08:56 PM

awwwww, poor babeee

You can always suck up and ask FORD to run instead of calling him a gay cowardly facist :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, you already DID that.

:cool:

NightProwler
08-24-2005, 09:09 PM
loungeboy

Notice how you didn't deny being ford's girlfriend.

LMAO

LoungeMachine
08-24-2005, 09:11 PM
loungeboy

Notice how you didn't deny being ford's girlfriend.

LMAO

:rolleyes:

pathetic.

NightProwler
08-24-2005, 09:16 PM
I agree, loungeboy...you are PATHETIC!

LMAO

Finally you make a post that I can agree with!

Why is it that you're so desperate for my attention?

Nickdfresh
08-24-2005, 09:23 PM
I agree, loungeboy...you are PATHETIC!

LMAO

Finally you make a post that I can agree with!

Why is it that you're so desperate for my attention?

BTW everybody, NightBitch admitted to harassing the girl via PM to me (in one of 27 of them). But he didn't say anything about her father, so he couldn't capitalize on that opportunity 'cause he didn't know. Fuck stump..

BTW, he's not at work but is at home, keeping away from his wife and kid and his "great life." Probably doing them a favor...

Douch bag.

NightProwler
08-24-2005, 09:26 PM
"he didn't say anything about her father"

FINALLY nickie posts something that is TRUE!

Tell me about your life, nickie? It must be great since you crave my attention here so desperately!

LMAO

Nickdfresh
08-24-2005, 09:29 PM
"he didn't say anything about her father"

FINALLY nickie posts something that is TRUE!

Tell me about your life, nickie? It must be great since you crave my attention here so desperately!

LMAO

Yeah asshole, I'm the one that needs attention...The thirty rambling PM's so far says differently...

Faggot!

I also said your wife is probably fat and ugly, and that you're ignoring your kid. Both true.:)

Idiot.

Nickdfresh
08-24-2005, 09:31 PM
Wow, another PM from my really gay stalker....

NightBitch; one sad, delusional little man child....

Nickdfresh
08-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Well, let us get this thread back off crack and on track.

1,500 more troops headed for Iraq

From Larry Shaughnessy
CNN Washington Bureau
Wednesday, August 24, 2005; Posted: 9:50 p.m. EDT (01:50 GMT)

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/WORLD/meast/08/24/troops.iraq/story.82nd.training.dod.jpg
Paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne Division board a C-130 for a training exercise in this April 2005 photo.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- More troops are headed to Iraq, this time 1,500 paratroopers to temporarily boost military strength during the fall election period, the Pentagon announced Wednesday.

Two battalions of the 82nd Airborne Division will deploy in mid-September from their home base of Fort Bragg, North Carolina. They will comprise the 2nd Battalion, 325th Airborne Infantry Regiment (AIR) and the 3rd Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment (PIR).

This is the third time the U.S. has raised troop levels during major political milestones in Iraq. Similar increases were made during the June 2004 transfer to Iraqi sovereignty and again during January's elections.

This deployment and last week's announcement of another increase will raise the troop level to at least 140,000.

During previous increases, some troops were kept in theater past their expected departure date, while others were brought to Iraq early. Such action brought the numbers there up to nearly 160,000 in January. Military officials tell CNN that such a large increase is unlikely this time but acknowledged that further reinforcements are possible and under consideration.

Last month an additional battalion of U.S. troops was sent to Afghanistan to help provide security for the September elections.

The Pentagon's announcement came on the day President Bush told military families and troops in Idaho that withdrawing from Iraq would be a mistake. (Full story)

Insurgents in Baghdad also launched a brazen afternoon attack against police checkpoints, killing 14 people and leaving dozens wounded. (Full story)

Meanwhile, the mother of a soldier killed in Iraq returned to Crawford, Texas, to resume her protest near the Bush ranch. Since August 6, Cindy Sheehan has kept vigil there in hopes of meeting the president. She is seeking the withdrawal of troops from Iraq and an explanation for the war. She left Texas for nearly a week to tend to her ailing mother in California.

CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/08/24/troops.iraq/index.html)

ODShowtime
08-24-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Well, let us get this thread back off crack and on track.

Two battalions of the 82nd Airborne Division will deploy in mid-September from their home base of Fort Bragg, North Carolina. They will comprise the 2nd Battalion, 325th Airborne Infantry Regiment (AIR) and the 3rd Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment (PIR).

Boy am I glad my buddy in the 82nd got discharged before he got sent back. He was only over there for a few months on roadblock duty. I was very surprised he came back so quick. Then again he already did a tour in Afghanistan.

BTW Nick, what's your take on that mayhem in the your initial post? Looks like an old school Iraqi Army job to me. 40 insurgents? Damn.

Nickdfresh
08-24-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime

BTW Nick, what's your take on that mayhem in the your initial post? Looks like an old school Iraqi Army job to me. 40 insurgents? Damn.

That's what I think. These guys are no slouches, they know how to carry out sustained attacks and can coordinate with car bombs (their artillery) and large elements of infantry.