PDA

View Full Version : USS Cole families can sue Sudan

lucky wilbury
08-25-2005, 03:02 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/08/24/cole.suda.ap/index.html

USS Cole families can sue Sudan

NORFOLK, Virginia (AP) -- Families of the 17 sailors killed in a terrorist attack on the USS Cole can pursue a lawsuit against the government of Sudan, a federal judge decided.

U.S. District Court Judge Robert G. Doumar said Tuesday that there was enough evidence that the Sudanese government cooperated with al Qaeda and its leader, Osama bin Laden, to allow the lawsuit to go forward.

"I find that there are facts sufficient to say: They're sort of partners and therefore I would allow (the suit) to go forward," Doumar said during a hearing on Sudan's request to dismiss the suit.

He added that he will formalize the ruling with a written opinion.

The families accuse Sudan of providing support, including diplomatic pouches used to carry explosives, and financing for the October 12, 2000, attack while the destroyer was in the harbor of Aden, Yemen.

The suit alleges the East African nation allowed an al Qaeda operative to ship four crates of explosives to Yemen before the bombing. It accuses the president of Sudan of authorizing bin Laden's entry into the country and of not requiring him to pay taxes.

The suit also contends that bin Laden and Sudan operated joint businesses and a bank that provided financing for the Cole attack.

"Sudan provided no support for the bombing of the Cole," Washington attorney Knox Bemis said, before being cut off by Doumar, who questioned the bank connection and why Sudan would allow operatives to come in and out of the country freely.

None of the family members appeared in court Tuesday.

"They're dealing with it by not dealing with it," Andrew C. Hall, a Miami attorney representing the families, said after the hearing.

The case is scheduled for trial March 7, but Hall said it probably would be delayed.

The families are seeking $105 million from the Sudanese government, which attorneys hope will be paid through Sudanese assets that were frozen by the U.S. government.

Nickdfresh
08-25-2005, 09:31 AM
That's nice, can IRAQI civilians killed my US bombing during incidents of "collateral damage" sue the US Gov't?

Can GULF WAR I ex-POW's sue the IRAQI gov't?

Jerry Falwell
08-25-2005, 09:42 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nickdfresh
[B] That's nice, can IRAQI civilians killed my US bombing during incidents of "collateral damage" sue the US Gov't?

Iraq was given a heads up...
If Iraq didn't want to be attacked, then they should have let UN inspectors have access to all of their facilities and not caused chaos (i.e. car wrecks and such) in front of the inspection team in an effort to have more time to move whatever they were trying to hide.

As for the Cole...The USS Cole had no such warning from Sudan did they?

Nickdfresh
08-25-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Jerry Falwell
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nickdfresh
[B] That's nice, can IRAQI civilians killed my US bombing during incidents of "collateral damage" sue the US Gov't?

Iraq was given a heads up...
If Iraq didn't want to be attacked, then they should have let UN inspectors have access to all of their facilities and not caused chaos (i.e. car wrecks and such) in front of the inspection team in an effort to have more time to move whatever they were trying to hide.

As for the Cole...The USS Cole had no such warning from Sudan did they?

Those were US Sailors, brave, well trained and dutiful, that had to expect a certain amount of risk in their chosen occupation. And their loved ones received GI insurance....

And why are they suing SUDAN again? It happened in YEMEN...

And does this mean that CUBAN citizens that lost relatives in an airliner bombing can sue the US gov't as they harbored the right wing CUBAN anti-CASTRO terrorist for years before finally recently arresting him?

BigBadBrian
08-25-2005, 10:02 AM
I think the USS Cole families should be able to sue the officials of the Clinton Administration for failing to protect them.

Fucking traitorous scumbags.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Nickdfresh
08-25-2005, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
I think the USS Cole families should be able to sue the officials of the Clinton Administration for failing to protect them.

Fucking traitorous scumbags.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

So 9/11 victims should be able to sue BUSH and CONDI for not protecting them?

BigBadBrian
08-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
So 9/11 victims should be able to sue BUSH and CONDI for not protecting them?

Possibly....but don't forget, the commission also placed blame on BOTH administrations.

;)

Nickdfresh
08-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Possibly....but don't forget, the commission also placed blame on BOTH administrations.

;)

And the REAGAN Adminstration is the one that ultimately committed US forces to the Middle East on a permanent basis in the modern era during the IRAN-IRAQ War, can't we sue his corpse?

BigBadBrian
08-25-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
And the REAGAN Adminstration is the one that ultimately committed US forces to the Middle East on a permanent basis in the modern era during the IRAN-IRAQ War, can't we sue his corpse?

No, but you can sue his fag son, Ron Jr.

:gulp:

LoungeMachine
08-25-2005, 01:05 PM
Let's not forget THIS administation blocked 9/11 families from suing the Saudis

Even used James Baker

LoungeMachine
08-25-2005, 01:07 PM
No, but you can sue his fag son, Ron Jr.

:gulp:

RJ is not gay.

However Karl Rove, Ken Mehlmen, Scotty McClellen, and Jeff Gannon are most likely

:cool: