T-Bone Walker, Guitar Slim

Little Son Jackson and Frankie Lee Sims

Heaven done called another blues stringer back home

Lord, they called another blues stringer back home

They called another blues stringer back home

Heaven done called another blues stringer back home

Today is 15 years since Stevie went down on that August night in 1990................

Matt White
08-27-2005, 01:19 PM
I was working construction in 1990.......

The old guy on the crew looked like somebody had shot his dog that morning....

I remember asking him what had him so down...........

"Stevie Ray died last night..." was all he could say as he walked away from me............................

Matt White
08-27-2005, 01:24 PM
IN the age of "New Wave" & "New Romantic"......SRV single-handedly brought The BLUES back into mainstream music circles..........

Matt White
08-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Gaining critical & public notice on DAVID BOWIE'S "LET'S DANCE" record....

ANd then with his own releases "TEXAS FLOOD, COULDN'T STAND THE WEATHER, SOUL TO SOUL, LIVE ALIVE, IN STEP & FAMILY STYLE" Stevie Ray Vaughan rewrote the book on playing blues guitar.....

Matt White
08-27-2005, 01:38 PM
The epitome of "NO BULLSHIT" guitar playing........

Refered to by no less than JOHN LEE HOOKER, BB KING & ERIC CLAPTON as the GREATEST BLUES GUITAR PLAYER......

ThrillsNSpills
08-27-2005, 01:41 PM
SRV single-handedly brought The BLUES back into mainstream music circles..........

and the fender sound as well.
you really can't say enough about what SRV was all about.
He lived it, and he had Hendrix's feel and he worked the hell out of it.

made the thing talk and cry and all that good stuff

I like the very beginning of Cold Shot, just that first sound on the guitar before he plays the riff. You know they could have just started the track with that riff, but it just set up the mood of the tune that much more.

He was almost too good, maybe that's why he got called back so soon.

Matt White
08-27-2005, 01:42 PM
"6 STRINGS DOWN"

Matt White
08-27-2005, 01:53 PM
I agree 1000% TNS!!!

He was so good that he made it look easy!

Anybody who's ever tried to play SCUTTLEBUTTIN' knows the man was a GENIUS........

Yup, straight up strat into a fender amp.....

I knew skin-heads, Punks, & Country fans who all acknowledged his greatness....he transcended genres......

Matt White
08-27-2005, 01:59 PM
"AUSTIN CITY LIMITS" "LIVE AT THE EL MACAMBO" & "LIVE IN MONTREUX" are ALL KILLER LIVE PERFORMANCES & ESSENTIAL viewing for guitarist.......

sammysucks65
08-27-2005, 02:15 PM
very nice matt ....i really like him and double trouble...i own there one live in texas dvd...really an amazing guitarist...shame he died like so many guitarists before there time.

srv forever!

Jack68
08-27-2005, 02:33 PM
I said it then ill say it now,should of been Clapton who went.
Jack

Matt White
08-27-2005, 02:44 PM
I read recently where CLAPTON said that STEVIE was "the only guy" he feared going on stage after. He said STEVIE was like a open CHANNEL, that he "never seemed to get lost or run out of ideas....the music just flowed from him".

Matt White
08-27-2005, 02:54 PM
THE MAN & HIS MUSIC LIVE ON

diamondsgirl
08-27-2005, 09:09 PM
Now this is an awesome thread.

Thanks Matt.

I remember when I heard the news. My daughter JUST took her first step and Little Wing was on the radio, I was so happy. :)

Then the DJ announced that Stevie was dead and I was like WTF! :(

Going from such a high to such a low like that was seriously fucked up.

I could not believe it. I was a huge fan, but never got to see him live. I always wanted to, planned to, but never did.

We all lost big time that day.

If you haven't already check out Buddy Guy's tune "Rememberin' Stevie". Now thats the blues.

Matt White
08-27-2005, 10:01 PM
"Stevie is the best friend I've ever had, the best guitarist I ever heard and the best person anyone will ever want to know," a choked-up Guy said the day after his friend's death. "He will be missed a lot."

Buddy Guy Aug 1990

Unchainme
08-27-2005, 10:40 PM
God He did one of the best Hendirx covers I've have ever heard, Voodoo Chile, Iwas floored the first time I heard it, It sounds Almost excatly like the orignal. He truly is one of the gratest guitarists of all time, He is still missed today. RIP SRV.

Matt White
08-27-2005, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
God He did one of the best Hendirx covers I've have ever heard, Voodoo Chile, Iwas floored the first time I heard it, It sounds Almost excatly like the orignal. He truly is one of the gratest guitarists of all time, He is still missed today. RIP SRV.

Check out the LIVE FROM THE EL MACOMBO dvd...and see his version of "THIRD STONE FROM THE SUN"...terrifying!!!

ben halen
08-27-2005, 11:43 PM
Yeah, SRV was quite the breath of fresh air. I remember seeing his first video on MTV, Love Struck Baby I think. I had never heard of him, but I ran out immediately to get Texas Flood. Wow! Saw him in concert a couple of times too.
Always sad to see someone go like that, as opposed to most rockers that drink or drug themselves to death.

NAHTAN
08-27-2005, 11:45 PM
SRV was an unbeleivable talent. A true musician. Losing him was terrible.

Northern Girl
08-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Very cool, Matt! One of the greats, no doubt. :cool:

Full Bug
08-28-2005, 11:06 AM
Great thread....
I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news, vacationing in Calgary, a bunch of us went out the the bars that night toasting Stevie....

Matt White
08-28-2005, 11:30 AM
I remember getting up that morning and hearing that "A member of Eric Clapton's" entourage was in the crash....

My older brother, who was a DJ at a local radio station, called with with the official word hours before it hit the air....

"It was Stevie Ray, Bro." Those words still crackle in my brain.......

Just goes to show....when it's your time to go.......

Full Bug
08-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Anyone have the bootleg Lost In Austin 1989? Great stuff....

Matt White
08-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Heard it.....After he cleaned up he was so "on"....

Have a boot video which has several tunes from St. Louis '89......

Stevie's just throwin' down!!!

A few more quotes from his peers:

"I thought he was a great guitar player. He was in some ways kind of a clairvoyant, like a Hendrix, as far as living the blues goes. He always impressed me. He could really play, and he ahd a cool look. But he was very natural, he was just naturally gifted, and you could see he was very sensitive."---Joey Ramone

"Stevie had many ways of showing you he had not only talent, but he also had a feeling for playing the blues. He was good with it, his execution and his hands. He seemed to be flawless, the way he moved with it.
I don't think he was aware of how well he played. I'm pretty sure he never realized how well he played. A lot of us knew he was good then, but the impact never hit us really big until after we lost him."---B.B. King

"His playing reached out to you. He wasn't so concerned with technique and flash, but at the same time, he had it by the truckload. He never let technique rule his heart; he always played directly what was on his mind. YOu can hear a lot of his influences in his playing, but by the same token, he rolled it into one unique guy. He was one of the few musicians who could really pick a lane and drive."---Steve Vai

"He was the Greatest blues guitarist of his generation."---Mick Jagger

diamondsgirl
08-28-2005, 12:13 PM
Help me out with this quote Matt. I think it was BB King who said:

"Playing the blues is like being black twice, Stevie Ray was wrong both times, but nobody ever noticed"

I love that quote, but I'm not sure I got it right.

Redballjets88
08-28-2005, 12:17 PM
they had a tribute documentary type thing on the local radio last night it was crazy. they had an interview with clapton and clapton talked about how he was sitting in his dressing room watching srv play on the monitor and he said something like "i wondered if i would ever get to that stage in my playing" he was talking about how srv could totally play from the heart as if his soul was telling him what the next note to play was. the radio thing was awesome because it has a lot of song you dont hear normally and his guitar work is amazing

Matt White
08-28-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl
Help me out with this quote Matt. I think it was BB King who said:

"Playing the blues is like being black twice, Stevie Ray was wrong both times, but nobody ever noticed"

I love that quote, but I'm not sure I got it right.

I think you got it right DG!

Yup...Stevie was an embassador for the blues...and he always gave his heros & influences their due...a class act.

diamondsgirl
08-28-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
they had a tribute documentary type thing on the local radio last night it was crazy. they had an interview with clapton and clapton talked about how he was sitting in his dressing room watching srv play on the monitor and he said something like "i wondered if i would ever get to that stage in my playing" he was talking about how srv could totally play from the heart as if his soul was telling him what the next note to play was. the radio thing was awesome because it has a lot of song you dont hear normally and his guitar work is amazing

that sounds very cool rbj

I love hearing what other major guitarists have to say about SRV.

I wonder what he'd be doing today if he lived. Could his playing have improved any? I don't see how.

http://www.texasmusicmovement.com/images/Stevie-Ray-Vaughn.gif

Matt White
08-28-2005, 06:34 PM
I agree DG!

I think he might have gotten a little more into Jazz......