View Full Version : AntiGay Church Protests at Soliders Funeral

scorpioboy33
08-28-2005, 07:19 AM
Only in the south :rolleyes:
only in the south :rolleyes:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9102443/

Anti-gay church protests at soldiers’ funerals
Counterdemonstrators in Tennessee chase away members of small church
SMYRNA, Tenn. - Members of a church say God is punishing American soldiers for defending a country that harbors gays, and they brought their anti-gay message to the funerals Saturday of two Tennessee soldiers killed in Iraq.

The church members were met with scorn from local residents. They chased the church members cars’ down a highway, waving flags and screaming “God bless America.”

“My husband is over there, so I’m here to show my support,” 41-year-old Connie Ditmore said as she waved and American flag and as tears came to her eyes. “To do this at a funeral is disrespectful of a family, no matter what your beliefs are.”

The Rev. Fred Phelps, founder of Westboro Baptist in Kansas, contends that American soldiers are being killed in Iraq as vengeance from God for protecting a country that harbors gays. The church, which is not affiliated with a larger denomination, is made up mostly of Phelps’ children, grandchildren and in-laws.

‘God hates you,’ signs read
The church members carried signs and shouted things such as “God hates fags” and “God hates you.”

About 10 church members protested near Smyrna United Methodist Church and nearly 20 stood outside the National Guard Armory in Ashland City. Members have demonstrated at other soldier funerals across the nation.

The funerals were for Staff Sgt. Asbury Fred Hawn II, 35, in Smyrna and Spc. Gary Reese Jr., 22, in Ashland City. Both were members of the Tennessee National Guard.

Large counterdemonstrations
Hundreds of Smyrna and Ashland City residents and families of other soldiers turned out at both sites to counter the message the Westboro Baptist members brought.

So many counterdemonstrators were gathered in Ashland City that police, sheriff’s deputies and state troopers were brought in to control traffic and protect the protesters.

The church members held protesting permits, and counterprotesters in Smyrna turned their backs to Westboro Baptist members until time expired on the protest permits.

“If they were protesting the government, I might even join them,” Danny Cotton, 56, said amid cries of “get out of our town” and “get out of our country.”

“But for them to come during the worst time for this family — it’s just wrong.”

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Cathedral
08-28-2005, 07:31 AM
I'd be in jail right now and Fred Phelps would be one dead mother fucker if i had been anywhere near that shit.

There is a time and a place for everything, this wasn't the time or the place.

Protesting a funeral?

People are fucking nuts anymore, and there are those of us who really need to start putting these fucks in line, or leave them laying next to it.

I thought i might get through this life without ever reaching the end of my rope, and wouldn't ya know, there's the end of it right there....

I am a very angry American these days, very angry indeed.

blueturk
08-28-2005, 08:38 AM
"The church, which is not affiliated with a larger denomination, is made up mostly of Phelps’ children, grandchildren and in-laws."

Sounds like a church that the hillbillies in "Deliverance" would attend...

Nickdfresh
08-28-2005, 09:12 AM
Fred PHELPS, what and incredible douche bag....He'll be turned gay and sodomized in hell...

scorpioboy33
08-28-2005, 09:44 AM
The scary thing is some people agree with him. He actually picketed the funeral of a gay man that was beaten to death.

DrMaddVibe
08-28-2005, 01:05 PM
Sunday, Aug. 28, 2005 2:09 a.m. EDT

McCain Backs Gay Marriage Ban

More than a year before the general election, U.S. Sen. John McCain is backing an initiative that would change Arizona's Constitution to ban gay marriages and deny government benefits to unmarried couples.

The Republican senator is the most prominent Arizonan to add his voice to what has become a flurry of measures competing for a place on the state's Nov. 7, 2006, ballot.

A McCain staffer said it was the first time the senator had been formally asked to support the marriage amendment and the first chance he had to meet with supporters.

The amendment "would allow the people of Arizona to decide on the definition of marriage in our state," McCain said in a statement Thursday.

McCain, who opposes a federal constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, believes those are state matters.

Steve May, former state lawmaker and a key opponent of the measure, said McCain is paving the way to run for the White House and wants to secure public support.

"We have a year to convince John McCain and the rest of Arizonans about how harmful this measure really is," May said.

A state law already bans same-sex marriages in Arizona, but supporters of the initiative are concerned that a judge could rule the law unconstitutional.

The purpose of the constitutional amendment would be to prevent that and to define marriage as being between a man and a woman.

Those behind the citizens-led initiatives need tens of thousands of signatures from registered voters to qualify for a public vote.

Lawmakers are gauging the public's pulse before asking the Legislature to refer certain referendums to the ballot.

In addition to the same-sex marriage initiative, Arizonans are lining up behind measures to ban smoking in public places, build a wall to keep immigrants from crossing the Arizona-Mexico border, preserve open space and raise the state's minimum wage.

© 2005 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

FORD
08-28-2005, 01:10 PM
A list of Phelps websites:

God Hates Fags
God Hates America
God Hates Sweden
God Hates Canada

According to Fred Phelps, God pretty much hates everyone except.... Fred Phelps??

When Fred wakes up in Hell with Liberace as a roommate, he'll figure it out.

FORD
08-28-2005, 01:14 PM
It seems that God even hates Space Shuttles (http://www.godhatesamerica.com/html/Columbia.html)