PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Katrina

WARF
08-28-2005, 12:51 PM
This hurricane winds have went from 115 MPH @10 PM last night to over 175 MPH 12 PM today.

http://image.weather.com/images/maps/tropical/map_spectrop02_ltst_6nh_enus_600x405.jpg

This is the worst hurricane since Camille in 1969!

WARF
08-28-2005, 12:52 PM
ELVIS get the fuck outta there man!

harrison
08-28-2005, 01:14 PM
I run a rock station called the bayou in New Orleans and I'm staying here in our tower to keep the station on the air while people evacuate.

WARF
08-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Dude, these people need to get outta of there ASAP.

I don't think they know what they're dealing with.... they aren't as educated about hurricanes like us Floridians.

diamondsgirl
08-28-2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by harrison
I run a rock station called the bayou in New Orleans and I'm staying here in our tower to keep the station on the air while people evacuate.

what material is your tower made of?

WARF
08-28-2005, 01:34 PM
It's made out of straw.... the little piggy shouted....

diamondsgirl
08-28-2005, 01:36 PM
that wouldn't be good, even sticks...with these winds...it'd probably blow down

lionsfan
08-28-2005, 01:43 PM
I just heard on the news that Katrina has tested positive for steroids.

WARF
08-28-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl
that wouldn't be good, even sticks...with these winds...it'd probably blow down

I don't even think the dome could stand these winds!

harrison
08-28-2005, 05:31 PM
It's made out of the same material as the Superdome. We are right next door to the Superdome. The building is called the Dominion Tower and we are on the fifth floor. They say the tower is "built" for hurricanes. Whatever that means. We're going to crank up some Roth rock in an effort to stay calm and positive.

Bill Lumbergh
08-28-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by lionsfan
I just heard on the news that Katrina has tested positive for steroids.

I knew it. When does she start the 10 day suspension?!

diamondsgirl
08-28-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by harrison
It's made out of the same material as the Superdome. We are right next door to the Superdome. The building is called the Dominion Tower and we are on the fifth floor. They say the tower is "built" for hurricanes. Whatever that means. We're going to crank up some Roth rock in an effort to stay calm and positive.

Sounds like fun :)

best of luck to you

Hardrock69
08-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Yeah they said on CNN it was built to withstand 200 mph winds...

Ally_Kat
08-28-2005, 07:47 PM
NWS outlines grim forecast of devastion expected across area

The National Weather Service has issued a special statement outlining the damage that might be caused if Hurricane Katrina makes landfall as a strong Category 4 or Category 5 storm.

“Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks, perhaps longer,” says the statement. “At least one-half of well-constructed homes will have roof and wall failure. All gabled roofs will fail, leaving those homes severely damaged or destroyed.

The statement says the majority of industrial buildings will become “non-functional,” with partial or complete wall and roof failure.

“All wood-framed low-rising apartments will sustain major damage, including some wall and roof failure,” the statement said. “Concrete block low-rise apartments will sustain major damage, including some wall and roof failure.”

The statement says high-rise office and apartment buildings will sway dangerously, “a few to the point of total collapse.” And all their windows will blow out.

Airborne debris will be widespread, and may include heavy items — household appliances and light cars and trucks —and even sport utility vehicles and trucks will be moved.

“The blown debris will create additional destruction,” the statement said. “Persons, pets and livestock exposed to the winds will face certain death if struck.”

Power outages will last for weeks because most power poles will be down and transformers will be destroyed. Most trees will be snapped or uprooted and even the heartiest, if they survive, will be stripped of all leaves.

Hardrock69
08-28-2005, 07:49 PM
Lovely...the center will be here where I am about 1 PM Tuesday.....which means it should start raining tomorrow afternoon or evening and just continue to get worse...

Some people around here have been bitching about lack of rain...well, they soon will get their wish!!!

Hardrock69
08-28-2005, 07:50 PM
Here is the official page where you can get imagery updated by the NOAA every 30 minutes...

http://www.stormtracker.noaa.gov/stormtracker-katrina.htm

Hardrock69
08-28-2005, 08:26 PM
New Orleans Radar:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/lix.shtml

Hardrock69
08-28-2005, 11:17 PM
ACK!

They just said on our local news (WHERE VANZILLA WORKS! WOOHOO!!!) that once it hits land, it is going to speed up, and as a result, it is not going to weaken fast like they usually do.

They are saying that even up here in Gnashville, we could have 70 MPH gusts.

I might stay home from work that day.

Fortunately, I am surrounded on all sides by hills. My house is built into the side of a 200 foot tall hill, about halfway up.

So usually, when fast moving winds hit here, they go way over head. My only worry is any of the trees getting knocked over, as I am surrounded by 100 foot tall trees...

:(

lionsfan
08-28-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
I knew it. When does she start the 10 day suspension?!

After she finishes testifying in front of congress, I suppose.

lionsfan
08-29-2005, 12:12 AM
South Florida certainly dodged a bullet. My neighborhood faired pretty well, actually. It did not rain all that much, so the streets did not become flooded as they did in Miami-Dade county. There were, however, a few strong gusts of wind here and there. I believe the maximum sustained winds during the worst of the weather were at around 50-60 mph, which is nothing compared to what New Orleans is about to experience.

Category 5. Unbelievable.

vheddyrmv8
08-29-2005, 01:27 AM
Everyone in that area be careful, hope you all make it alright.

BOMBER
08-29-2005, 01:39 AM
WOW,the size of that thing is incredible.
Call me Captain Obvious,we don't see anything like that in this part of the world though.
All the best to those who could be effected by this.

rustoffa
08-29-2005, 02:08 AM
Isn't New Orleans like already 10 feet below sea level?

Those voodoo motherfuckers better start stabbing some hurricane dolls.

Cathedral
08-29-2005, 02:22 AM
This is going to really suck because some people didn't take the situation seriously.
As Warf said, y'all don't know what you are about to deal with if you haven't gotten your ass out of there yet.

And Elvis, I'm praying for you, buddy...Stay safe or i'll come out and whoop yer ass, boy, lol.

Keep in mind, mass tornado's are spawned from these things, and a Cat-5 Hurricane will be a twister breading mother fucker.
And they typically happen behind the eye after it passes over you.

May God protect and keep you all safe, amen...............

Hardrock69
08-29-2005, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa

No fucking shit! LOL!!!
:cool:

Cathedral
08-29-2005, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa

I saw a program today where they said it was 6 feet below sea level.
And the pumps they use to get rid of the flood water are predicted to be submerged if the flood walls aren't high enough.

This sucks for them big fucking time. :(

Golden AWe
08-29-2005, 02:33 AM
That thing is HUGE...HUGE!!!

Hardrock69
08-29-2005, 02:37 AM
Well, as I doubt I will be at work Tuesday, I will post reports from my house periodically.

I am far enough out in the sticks that power outages are frequent with a standard thunderstorm, so I expect to be without power at some point.

Man....gotta be getting bad...and the eye is not even there yet.....

rustoffa
08-29-2005, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Well, as I doubt I will be at work Tuesday, I will post reports from my house periodically.

I am far enough out in the sticks that power outages are frequent with a standard thunderstorm, so I expect to be without power at some point.

Man....gotta be getting bad...and the eye is not even there yet.....

It's fucking EL NINO~ all summer long here. The spring was even worse.

Read more here (http://hitchworld1969.com/CIRCLEofTRUST/topic.cgi?forum=14&topic=137)

Nitro Express
08-29-2005, 02:52 AM
That hurricane is going to finish all the damage those asian termites have been doing to New Orleans. A lot of old historic buildings are toast. My inlaws lived in New Orleans and they always told me if a large hurricane hit the city on the lake Ponchetran side the tidal swells would put the whole city underwater.

Hardrock69
08-29-2005, 03:00 AM
Man this is gonna suck...

Projected path:

Cathedral
08-29-2005, 03:10 AM
Oh, and look at where Ohio is on that little map.
So much for sanding and buffing my ride tomorrow just to have to detail the bitch again this weekend.

Our weather guys are predicting some pretty bad storms from this.

That means that instead of taking tomorrow off work i should probably get as much done as i can before this shit hits and i'm off the rest of the week.

In that case, it's bed time. :(

DavidLeeNatra
08-29-2005, 07:19 AM
run to the hills...run for your lihihifes...

that thing is bad...and twice as big as my country...uh uh...stay safe all you people out there...

sometimes I feel happy about the fact that I live in an area where there are no vulcanos, earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, burning forrests, etc. etc....

diamondsgirl
08-29-2005, 08:30 AM
Stay Safe Roth Fans!

Jérôme Frenchise
08-29-2005, 11:10 AM
We think about you all, people who dwell in the perilous corridor...
May that damn calamity abate quicker than was forecast.

Hardrock69
08-29-2005, 12:54 PM
Damn...New Orleans has been taken out!!!

Hardrock69
08-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Here we go...

Hardrock69
08-29-2005, 12:58 PM
And the 3 day forecast....

WARF
08-29-2005, 02:09 PM
I'm not sure how much damage was done.... but I heard it dropped to a CAT 3 during landfall.... that may help things.

But you know the storm is bad when the shelters aren't safe.

The superdome already lost parts of it's roof.

rustoffa
08-29-2005, 07:47 PM
The outer bands are spawning so many fucking tornados' here, the weather folks can't keep up.

70 mph winds two counties over. Good grief.

Fairwrning
08-29-2005, 08:25 PM
geez..just imagine WEEKS without electricity....
I guess after all the other losses after something like this, electricity may not seem like much..but to go weeks without it..that would be a bitch..

Hardrock69
08-29-2005, 09:30 PM
Shit, just going a day without it is a bitch. Last Christmas Eve we had a serious ice storm. I was without power for 2 days. Could not go anywhere, could not od anything but sit in my house and freeze.

Temps were 40 at night, 55 during the day in the house.

Could have been worse, but it was not fun.

Soul Reaper
08-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Holy gob shite!

Soul Reaper
08-30-2005, 12:48 PM
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2005-08-30T144029Z_01_ROB586049_RTRUKOC_0_UK-WEATHER-KATRINA.xml

Hardrock69
08-30-2005, 04:48 PM
Well it was not too bad. Began raining about 4:30 PM yesterday. Got heavier and heavier, and by about 9 pm it was coming down cats and dogs. Continued non-stop like that until about 5 this morning, then slacked off and it is drizzling now. Winds were up to 50 MPH, but being protected by steep hills on all sides, just outside my front door it was just a slight breeze....

So now all the creeks and rivers around here are overflowing. I only lost power around 3 AM, and even then it came right back on. I was surprised....usually it can't handle severe weather....

Jérôme Frenchise
08-31-2005, 08:53 AM
God... What a catastrophe... Hundreds of dead people... Rescuers pushing corpses aside to save survivors...:(
Help is needed now and when that water has gone... Hope European governments will be up to their duty, now it's unfortunately time to come to American people's aid...

franksters
08-31-2005, 08:58 AM
Now it is raining like crazy here in montreal, the sad thing is that the survivors will have a hard time to get back on their feet, there are a lot of poor people overthere, no electricity, no food, fuck this will take months...

franksters
08-31-2005, 09:00 AM
I hope Canada will send some people down there, they did for florida ( hydro quebec re-build the electricity lines)

Hardrock69
08-31-2005, 10:05 AM
Man....this is fucking unreal....

Millions of people will be left with nothing...

:(

franksters
08-31-2005, 11:01 AM
extremely sad!
the pictures i've seen so far are shocking, when you see this you feel so insignificant...

they need help big time

Cathedral
09-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Now that we know Elvis is alright, what about harrison?

He was in one of those buildings near the Superdome.

Ozzy Fudd
09-01-2005, 09:19 PM
I can not believe that ASSHOLES are Shooting AK-47's at the Copter Jocks who are tryin to save them. those Gang members need to be cut down just like we did with the Cong. send in a Hewy with Puff the Magic Dragon wipe em out. fuckin assholes Make a Example out of them .MAKES ME SICK.:gun:

diamondsgirl
09-01-2005, 10:00 PM
Fats Domino is among the missing

http://www.fats-domino.com/fats.jpg

diamondsgirl
09-01-2005, 10:00 PM
turning on Dateline right now, its all about Katrina

Nitro Express
09-02-2005, 03:03 AM
My question is why weren't emergency air drops made at the Superdome area? With the flooding and damage it's obviouse getting people and supplies in is next to impossible but why wasn't emergency food, water, medical, and sanitation supplies dropped in? You have 30,000 plus people in one area, we do have a capability to drop that sort of stuff. Now the situation is falling into caos and riots. The situation has become uncontrollable. Why couldn't Bush organize such a thing? All he has to do is get on the phone and give the order. The director of FEMA seems increadable out of touch with the situation. God what a pooch screw.

diamondsgirl
09-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
My question is why weren't emergency air drops made at the Superdome area? With the flooding and damage it's obviouse getting people and supplies in is next to impossible but why wasn't emergency food, water, medical, and sanitation supplies dropped in? You have 30,000 plus people in one area, we do have a capability to drop that sort of stuff. Now the situation is falling into caos and riots. The situation has become uncontrollable. Why couldn't Bush organize such a thing? All he has to do is get on the phone and give the order. The director of FEMA seems increadable out of touch with the situation. God what a pooch screw.

I was thinking the exact same thing. There is NO ONE taking control of the situation. People were just left to fend for themselves and so it has become survival of the fittest. Its sick!

On Dateline, the showed a 84 year old woman lying on the ground in the Superdome. She has a heart condition and she looked like she was about to die.

They were filming her and so they know she is there! She is too weak to help herself.

Why the fuck could they not get her out of there or get medical attention in there?

:mad:

WARF
09-02-2005, 03:00 PM
I told everyone this was gonna be the worst hurricane in history!

WARF
09-02-2005, 03:00 PM
I told everyone this was gonna be the worst hurricane in history!

WARF
09-02-2005, 03:02 PM
I'm glad to hear ELVIS is alright.