PDA

View Full Version : Bears Name Orton Starting QB

Unchainme
08-28-2005, 04:51 PM
Orton promoted to Bears' starting QB

NFL.com wire reports

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (Aug. 28, 2005) -- Rookie Kyle Orton was named the Chicago Bears' starting quarterback and the team demoted Chad Hutchinson out of the playing rotation.

Orton's strong performance in the 16-12 win over Buffalo when he led an 81-yard scoring drive, and Hutchinson's second straight shaky outing -- 3 for 14 passing, two interceptions and three sacks -- prompted coach Lovie Smith to make the move.

Smith said recently signed veteran Jeff Blake is now the backup and Kurt Kittner is No. 3.

The Bears end their preseason schedule at home against Cleveland and open regular-season play Sept. 11 at Washington.

Orton, who played at Purdue, was a fourth-round draft pick. He slipped in the draft after he was slowed by a hip injury in his senior season.

Hutchinson struggled in both of his preseason starts after taking over when Rex Grossman was knocked out with a broken ankle. Hutchinson, a former major league baseball pitcher with the Cardinals, started five games for the Bears last season after Grossman's season ended in Game 3 with a torn knee ligament, moving ahead of backups Jonathan Quinn and Craig Krenzel.

Now it's Orton's turn.

"I'm not scared at all about being a rookie quarterback," Orton said. "I think I'm where I need to be. ... I have a lot of improvement I can make. Now I've got to quicken that process."

I'm excited, Even though he will probably not do well his first couple seasons, Its grate to see Two Purdue QB's in the league at the same time. :D

redblkwht
08-28-2005, 07:11 PM
Good move, they benched Buttchinson..he looked like
a deer in headlights last week.

WARF
08-28-2005, 07:13 PM
Jeff George will be the starter before it is all over! LOL

redblkwht
08-28-2005, 07:24 PM
George isnt even in camp thriller boy!!

& Who's Miamuh's
Pro-bowesque player out there starting? lmmfao;)

ALinChainz
08-28-2005, 10:44 PM
From what I've read, this is against Angelos' wishes. I'm thinking his time is Chicago is about over.

The better man should play, rookie or not, and Orton has outplayed Hutch.