PDA

View Full Version : Chevez calls for Pat Robertson to be extradited to Venezuela

Hardrock69
08-29-2005, 02:55 PM
(CBS/AP) President Hugo Chavez said Sunday that his government may ask the United States to extradite U.S. religious broadcaster Pat Robertson to Venezuela for suggesting American agents should kill him.

Earlier Sunday, Rev. Jesse Jackson offered support for Chavez, saying the televangelist's call for the Venezuelan leader's assassination was a criminal act.

The U.S. civil rights leader, who is on a four-day visit to Venezuela, called Robertson's statements "immoral" and "illegal." He urged U.S. authorities to take action, and said the U.S. government must choose "diplomacy over any threats of sabotage or isolation or assassination."

Sunday, speaking to foreign delegations attending a meeting of the Organization of American States in Caracas, Chavez said Venezuela will "exercise legal action in the United States" against Robertson.

"Calling for the assassination of a head of state is a terrorist act," said Chavez, an outspoken critic of President Bush who has forged strong relations with communist-led Cuba.

"We could even request his extradition," he added.

Chavez told OAS delegates that Venezuela would consider bringing the issue to United Nations if the U.S. government failed to cooperate.

Robertson's comments last week have increased already tense relations between Caracas and Washington. On his TV show "The 700 Club," Robertson said Chavez "is a dangerous enemy to our south, controlling a huge pool of oil that could hurt us very badly. We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability. We don$B!G(Bt need another 200-billion-dollar war to get rid of one strong-arm dictator. It$B!G(Bs a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

Robertson, founder of the Christian Coalition of America, later issued an apology. "Is it right to call for assassination?," said Robertson, in a statement issued after an international furor over his remarks earlier in the week. "No, and I apologize for that statement. I spoke in frustration that we should accommodate the man who thinks the U.S. is out to kill him."
Last Tuesday, the Bush administration swiftly distanced itself from Robertson's comments. State Department spokesman Sean McCormack called the remarks "inappropriate."

Venezuela has demanded a stronger condemnation of Robertson's remarks.

"We could offer him free psychiatric treatment ... but he could be a lost case" Chavez said sarcastically of Robertson and controversial statements the conservative commentator has made in the past.

Last year, Robertson said President Bush told him before the Iraq invasion: "We're not going to have any casualties," but that "the Lord told me it was going to be (a) a disaster and (b) messy." The White House issued denials.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/08/28/world/main798843.shtml

Steve Savicki
08-30-2005, 03:19 PM
If that happens, I wonder if God will save Robbie.

FORD
08-30-2005, 08:59 PM
Televangelist Jack Van Impe called Robertson "an Osami bin Laden"

Televangelist and self-proclaimed Biblical prophecy expert Jack Van Impe denounced Pat Robertson's call for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, comparing Robertson to Osama bin Laden.

From the August 30 broadcast of Jack Van Impe Presents:

VAN IMPE: And right now, the National Association of Evangelicals informs us that this man has done damage, and it could actually take the lives of some of the missionaries in South America because the news media in South America is bombarding this thing across the airwaves around the clock. God forgive him.

[...]

Not only that, but Mr. Robertson, you are pro-life, and yet you wanted the members of the Supreme Court to die last year, and now the president of Venezuela. We believe this book: Thou shalt not kill; Exodus 20, verse 13. And my Bible says that this is wrong, and I want to challenge you right now to change your ways. Because we as Christians do not need an Osami [sic] Bin Laden leading us.

The weekly program Jack Van Impe Presents is carried on the Trinity Broadcasting Network, the world's largest Christian broadcasting outlet; TBN also broadcasts Robertson's The 700 Club, on which his comments about Chavez originally appeared. Founded in 1973 by Paul and Jan Crouch, TBN currently owns 23 U.S. full-power television stations and 252 low-power TV stations. TBN has also produced films, including The Omega Code. Van Impe's program, in addition to appearing on TBN, is syndicated to TV stations across the country and is broadcast internationally as a radio program. Van Impe is the author of several books, including Revelation Revealed: A Verse-by-Verse Study (W Publishing Group, 1997).video here (http://mediamatters.org/static/video/vanimpe-200508300007.wmv)

Cathedral
08-30-2005, 11:42 PM
The fact that at this point Robertson still has supporters at all troubles me.
Good for Jack and Rexella for taking a stand against that false prophet.
Though i don't really know what to make of their ministry, I hope this starts the flame that burns Robertson's ass down.

But i hardly think we'll be sending him anywhere since he does have the right as a citizen to speak his mind.

I have always thought he was a whack job and i love it how one by one they bring themselves down.

Next!