PDA

View Full Version : Hamas: Sharon has opened the gates of hell

ELVIS
03-22-2004, 08:05 AM
22/03/2004

By Arnon Regular (http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/407399.html)

Hamas leaders vowed Monday to "cut off" the head of Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, after their spiritual leader Sheikh Ahmed Yassin was killed in a missile strike by Israeli helicopter gunships in Gaza City.

"Sharon has opened the gates of hell and nothing will stop us from cutting off his head," leaders of the radical Islamic group vowed.

"Words cannot describe the emotion of anger and hate inside our hearts," said Hamas official Ismail Haniyeh, a close associate of Yassin in Gaza. He said that "the enemy should expect a response that will turn the ground under his feet to hell ... All of Palestine will turn into a volcano that will burn up the enemies."

Top Hamas official Abdel Aziz Rantisi said "Yassin is a man in a nation, and a nation in a man. And the retaliation of this nation, will be of the size of this man. You will see deeds not words." Rantisi himself was wounded in an Israeli airstrike in June 2003, when a helicopter launched missiles at his car.

The group vowed that Islamic groups around the world will join together to retaliate for the assassination and implied that the United States could be a target.

"The Zionists didn't carry out their operation without getting the consent of the terrorist American Administration, and it must take responsibility for this crime," Hamas said in a statement faxed to The Associated Press. "All the Muslims of the world will be honored to join in on the retaliation for this crime," the statement said.

The threat against the United States would represent a change of tactics for the militant group, which has always said its fight was with Israel and not with the United States.

Tens of thousands of Palestinians, many in tears, poured into the streets of Gaza City immediately after the strike. Gunmen fired into the air and militants threw dozens of pipe-bombs to express their outrage. The Palestinian Authority declared three days of mourning.

The Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigade, a militant group connected to PA Chairman Yasser Arafat's Fatah faction, declared war on Israelis in response to the assassination. "War, war, war on the sons of Zion. An eye for an eye. There will be a response within hours, God willing," the group said in a statement.

The armed wing of Fatah said in a statement that "he who signed the order to assassinate Yassin has effectively signed the death warrant of hundreds of Israelis." It said that all Zionists, both in Israel and abroad, is now an assassination target for the organization.

PA officials condemned the attack. "This is a crazy and very dangerous act. It opens the door wide to chaos. Yassin is known for his moderation and he was controlling Hamas and therefore this is a dangerous, cowardly act," said Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia.

"Assassinations, incursions, walls, will not produce peace and security, on the contrary, it will just add fuel to the fire," said Cabinet Minister Saeb Erekat.

Sufyan Abu Zaydeh, a Palestinian Authority official, said the killing of Yassin was reminiscent of Israel's assassination of Hamas bombmaker Yehiye Ayash in Gaza in January 1996. Hamas responded to the killing of Ayash, nicknamed "The Engineer" by Israel, with a series of deadly suicide bombings inside Israel that killed close to sixty people in the space of 10 days. Yassin's killing, Abu Zaydeh said, would spark "a harsh wave of attacks."

:elvis:

steve
03-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Both sides are scared and desparate - the shit is spiraling out of control.

Perhaps George W. Bush should hire Bill Clinton, the US leader who was the most successful with diplomacy in that region by leagues, to head an emergency envoy to Israel/Palestine.

Cathedral
03-22-2004, 11:36 AM
To much blood has been spilled for either side to concede at this point. How this will affect the US is yet to be seen...They believe we are responsible for it just as much as Israel...

BigBadBrian
03-22-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by steve

Finally! Something interesting to watch on the news. Popcorn, anyone? :eek:

John Ashcroft
03-22-2004, 12:24 PM

Perhaps George W. Bush should hire Bill Clinton, the US leader who was the most successful with diplomacy in that region by leagues, to head an emergency envoy to Israel/Palestine.

Refresh our memory Steve, please. I'm not sure we share the same definition of "Most Successful"...

Yep, there's one thing terrorists understand alright, and that's "diplomacy".:rolleyes:

FORD
03-22-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
Refresh our memory Steve, please. I'm not sure we share the same definition of "Most Successful"...

Yep, there's one thing terrorists understand alright, and that's "diplomacy".:rolleyes:

Clinton had Rabin and Arafat at the table with a peace deal, and would have pulled it off if Likud right wingers hadn't killed Rabin. And years later he came close again with Barak.

Only Jimmy Carter was more successful than Clinton in the Middle East. Funny how the right wing maligns him as well. You might get the impression that they want perpetual war over there.

John Ashcroft
03-22-2004, 12:59 PM
I'm still waiting. Just because you call them successful doesn't make it true.

What was Arafat waiting for? Why did he turn down Barak's generous offer? What was the sticking point again?

Could it be that diplomacy with terrorists is a waste of time which only prolongs death and suffering? History seems to think so.

steve
03-22-2004, 01:50 PM
"John Ashcroft" - you so crazy.

John Ashcroft
03-22-2004, 04:01 PM
Heh heh heh... Dat I am. Facts combined with common sense made me that way.

steve
03-22-2004, 04:11 PM
...here we go again.:cool:

steve
03-22-2004, 04:11 PM
whad you talkin' bout' willis?

Clinton's engagement as a mediator kep the peace between warring factions there for a good 8 years. If you don't believe us, look the stats up for yourself. Between 92 and 2000 the total deaths due to suicide bombings and Israeli counter-strikes were something like 15-20 people a year. If you really don't think this was due to Clinton's engaement as a mediator - well, suffice it to say, you disagree with a whole lot of people.

When George Bush took office, he began an immediate policy of "no policy" and total disengaement with regards to Israel and Palestine. This is not the only fuel that helped reignite the 2000-current Intifada, but it certainly did not help.

BigBadBrian
03-22-2004, 04:44 PM

Clinton's engagement as a mediator kep the peace between warring factions there for a good 8 years.

That peace was a mirage like all of the jobs Clinton created. A figment of someone's imagination. :gulp:

ELVIS
03-22-2004, 04:53 PM

Clinton's engagement as a mediator kep the peace between warring factions there for a good 8 years. If you don't believe us, look the stats up for yourself. Between 92 and 2000 the total deaths due to suicide bombings and Israeli counter-strikes were something like 15-20 people a year. If you really don't think this was due to Clinton's engaement as a mediator - well, suffice it to say, you disagree with a whole lot of people.

When George Bush took office, he began an immediate policy of "no policy" and total disengaement with regards to Israel and Palestine. This is not the only fuel that helped reignite the 2000-current Intifada, but it certainly did not help.

That's bullshit...

steve
03-22-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
That's bullshit...

Well, whether or not Clinton's mediating was good or not is relative to argument; I suppose.

But it is plain out statistical fact that there were very very few suicide bombings and/or Israeli acts of violence against Palistinians during the last 6 years of Clinton's presidency.

There is a very strong argument that Bush's total disengagement from the situation during the first year of his presidency catalyzed the 2000-current "Intifada". Many have made this argument, not just me. Of course, the popularity behind this opinion doesn't make it right, but it cannot be so easily dismissed.

Satan
03-22-2004, 07:01 PM
Sharon doesn't open the Gates of Hell, they're always open 666 hours a day. Incoming only, of course.

And let me tell you, Sheik Saruman is PISSED!

Roy Munson
03-23-2004, 12:39 PM
Fuck Hamas. All of their leaders should be fucked in the ass with a vacuum cleaner.

Jerry Falwell
03-23-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Roy Munson
Fuck Hamas. All of their leaders should be fucked in the ass with a vacuum cleaner.

I think that Israel basically decided to do exactly that to every one of the leaders that they can find. A missle might be used to replace the vacuum. LOL

FORD
03-23-2004, 02:47 PM
I'm all for equal treatment. I hope somebody takes Sharon out the same way.

BigBadBrian
03-23-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I'm all for equal treatment. I hope somebody takes Sharon out the same way.

Hell yeah! Then things will really start rockin' over there. I hope at least Hamas has enough nads to own up to it, though. :gulp: