PDA

View Full Version : Venezuela to sell cheap heating oil to the poor in U.S.

Hardrock69
08-31-2005, 10:17 AM
CARACAS, Venezuela (Reuters) - Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez said on Monday his government plans to sell as much as 66,000 barrels per day of heating fuel from its U.S. Citgo refinery to poor communities in the United States.

The offer, made after populist Chavez held talks with U.S. civil rights activist Rev. Jesse Jackson, would represent 10 percent of the 660,000 bpd of refined products processed by Citgo. The deals would cut consumer costs by direct sales.

Venezuela's Energy Minister Rafael Ramirez said officials were still working on the details on how the oil would be sold from Citgo, a unit of the state oil firm PDVSA.

"We are going to direct as much as 10 percent of the production, that means 66,000 barrels, without intermediaries, to poor communities, hospitals, religious communities, schools," Chavez told reporters at a press conference.

The world's No. 5 oil exporter, oil cartel OPEC member Venezuela is a key supplier to the United States, providing about 15 percent of all U.S. energy imports.

But relations between Caracas and Washington have become strained since left-winger Chavez was elected in 1998 promising social reforms.

Chavez, a former army officer who survived a coup in 2002, frequently accuses the U.S. of backing efforts to kill him or topple his government. U.S. officials dismiss those charges but say Chavez has become a threat to regional stability.

It is no wonder the U.S. Government hates his guts...he is actually trying to help poor people out.

Nickdfresh
08-31-2005, 10:26 AM
Well, looks like BUSH increases poverty and CHAVEZ does something about it!

Cathedral
08-31-2005, 11:06 AM
That's fucking sad!
So, when is the boot going to make contact with Chimpie's ass?

I'm tired of kicking my own ass for supporting that fucking tool in the first place.

BigBadBrian
08-31-2005, 11:11 AM
Bribery. I gotta hand it to him though, he knows how to play the PR game.

:gulp:

Nickdfresh
08-31-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Bribery. I gotta hand it to him though, he knows how to play the PR game.

:gulp:

You mean like tax-beaks?;)

Hardrock69
08-31-2005, 11:47 AM
Uhhh Chavez knows how to play the PR game.

Remember the lessons from the movie The Gladiator?

"The Mob is fickle, brother..."

Chimpzilla does not know how to win popular support from the Mob. Chavez has learned how.

What his end game is, is anybody's guess.

But if he actually follows through with his PR and begins to put his money and actions where his mouth is, he will certainly be a very successful leader.

The main problem he faces is staying alive, as a) he is no longer playing pattycake with the BCE, so b) the CIA is actively going to seek to have him assassinated.

It is standard operating procedure for the CIA.

If he can just stay alive, his country may benefit drastically. That said, his country is ALREADY benefiting drastically.