PDA

View Full Version : Ranked albums in discography

audiospectrum
08-31-2005, 05:58 PM
It's very disheartening to read descriptions like these two in the discography section of this site. (see below) I totally understand that these two albums have a mixed reaction among some fans, but what about real, full-blown, 100% fans who like the whole package? It's Dave, and it's extremely hard to think of a song or interview or anything that actually rubs me the wrong way and puts me off Dave. So I guess this is a suggestion. Why don't you mods ask for reviews on these boards, make 'em sticky, whatever so people can read 'em, and they can reply with their own personal thoughts of each album. It's just WAYYY too cruel to order them because it's all about the mood. Any album can shoot to no. 1 if you're in the RIGHT mood!!
So next time someone treks onto the discography/lyrics section of the dlrarmy.com site, they will have a smattering of positive reviews towards Dave and his music, instead of "yeah kinda good album, this song was good, this song I'm not fond of etc."

Is this not a good point? It may grab a few more fans with real, in-depth and heartfelt bibliographies right from the filthy mouths of the real fans.

(Here are the bottom two ranking albums in the DLR/VH discography)

12. YFLM

Ok lyrically this is in my opinion was Dave's best album. What I didn't like about it was .. well.. this was the worst band in my opinion that he recorded with. The sound was just not there along with all the energy of his previous releases. This cd has 2 of my least favorite Dave songs "You're Breathin' It [Urban NYC Mix] and Cheatin Heart Cafe (with Travis Tritt). Everybody's got the Monkey is another song I am not fond of. The tour for this CD was disappointing as well. She's My Machine.. a decent song.. could have sounded better with a decent band. This cd was delayed several times and I remember going into the record store and asking when it was finally coming out and getting laughed at by some guy claiming to be a Sammy Fan.
Anyways.. this cd just did not ROCK! That being said it still gets play on my cd player and is better than anything I heard from Van Halen post 1985.

13. DLR BAND

The only reason why this gets rated here is because it is practically all covers. Dave did a great job on them but this album pales in comparison to his previous release "DLR BAND". You can tell that Dave did spend some time making this album and it is worth buying. I did like the shoo-bop video and if this is the direction that Dave's career is headed in then I am happy buying more stuff of this nature.
The thing I don't like about covers.. is that you don't get Dave's lyrics. DLR has wrote some of the greatest lyrical masterpieces in Rock history. I firmly believe that. I feel like he is way under hyped lyrically and I would have enjoyed to listen to a few more tunes that expressed his sense of humor and insight.

I think all reviews could be more in depth and/or more favourable towards Dave. I just don't think he's released anything short of a masterpiece yet, I hope I'm not alone with these thoughts.

Dirty Duck
09-01-2005, 12:03 PM
yflm wasnt a bad album at all. It took some time..but I too still listen. Dlr band was decent...relentless/blacksand/tight..it just feels like something is missing. A little aint enough was a great album..very underatted

Seshmeister
09-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by audiospectrum
I think all reviews could be more in depth and/or more favourable towards Dave. I just don't think he's released anything short of a masterpiece yet, I hope I'm not alone with these thoughts. [/B]

Try searching the forums for the word 'Revisited'.

Rikk and I started review threads a while back for every album which are about as indepth as you would ever want to go.

e.g.

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8814&highlight=revisited

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13674&highlight=revisited

Cheers!

:gulp:

zeronumber
09-01-2005, 01:38 PM
Well, it is subjective, like my list of DLR Albulms.

1- Fair Warning - Best fucking DLR/CVH ever...undisputed. If you do not think that this is the greatest compilation of compositions known to man...I...WILL....FIGHT...YOU!!!
Fav Song: Mean streets

2- Van Halen I - Origin of VH, awesome record.
Fav Track: Jamies Cryin

3- DLR band - The Fair warning of DAve's solo, my personal fave.
This record simply kicks your moma's ass. It kicked Marching to mars ass, It kick Red vodoo's ass, it kicked VH3's ass.
Fav Song : Counter Blast

4- Van Halen II - Another awesome record...my only beef is that it's kind of short.
Fav song: Dance the Night Away.

5- Sky Scraper: My second fave DLR record. It's hard rocking, at the same time, poped filled. You can disect this cd, and rock your ass off with a bunch of your drunk ass budies in the garage, or, You can listen to the pop tracks, while you're lounging in a beach chair, holding a umbrella drink, while toasting your girlfriend.
Fav Song: Stand up.

6- Eat 'em and Smile: Another good DLR release, hard rocking...but nothing as great as skyscraper, but great none the less.
Fav song: Yankee Rose

7- 1984: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. This record has it's fair share of fillers, but also showcases some of vh's most memorable work. It's legacy lives on as the last CVH cd, so that's worth something.
Fav song: Drop Dead Legs.

8- A little Aint Enough: This is a good cd, with much better guitar work than sky scraper and EEAS, But, this is another cd that I found a bit dissapointing. This had the energy of DLR band, just not the clear amount of focus, and ass kicking mentality.
Fav Song: A little ain't enough

9- Women and Children First: Good albulm, but I can't deny that there are a few skip worthy tracks
fav track: ...And the cradle will rock

10- Diver Down: Meh...It's a good cvh albulm, but, way too many covers.
Fav Song: Happy Trails.

11-Your Filthy Little Mouth: I guess this is an aquired taste of dlr albulms. IMO, this albulm blows chunks, however, it has a few good songs.(big emphasis on "few"). I have no particular favorites for this cd.

12-Diamond Dave: This albulm sucks. The only reason why it out ranks CFTH was because it has a few good songs(Originals out of mostly covers)
Fav song: Sho Bop

13-CFTH- It's only 4 songs, and it's all covers. I don't think it's fair to rank it any higher, espesially with other albulms that have original material. It's good, but I honeslty can't rank it above any other dlr or cvh release.

bigc
09-01-2005, 06:33 PM
i did a ALAE review a few weeks back.

audiospectrum
09-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Try searching the forums for the word 'Revisited'.

Rikk and I started review threads a while back for every album which are about as indepth as you would ever want to go.

e.g.

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8814&highlight=revisited

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13674&highlight=revisited

Cheers!

:gulp:

Great reading. Light up the sky to this day still gives me goosebumps, especially towards the end. You get the feeling that you are listening to something very special in between the lines of time. It's just indescribable how that song can suspend time and space.
And Fair Warning!! Boy can you feel the tension. It's not an album to listen to when you think you may be on the edge, but then again... turn it up real loud and stare into the mirror, hard motherfucker!!

Yep enjoyed these reads as much as you enjoyed writing 'em.