PDA

View Full Version : Deep Purple California Jam performance to be released on DVD

Hardrock69
09-02-2005, 10:04 AM
Just saw it on Blabbermouth. It will include the full performance, as well as 8mm backstage and light tower footage, and the usual other extras...interviews, etc.

I have had this on a bootleg video for several years....it is pretty cool. Glad it is going to be on DVD.

This is the performance where as part of the show, they blew up one of Ritchie Blackmore's Marshall cabinets and it very nearly blew him off the front of the stage...

I WILL own this..
:cool:

Last_Child
09-02-2005, 10:32 AM
YES!!

Wuhuu!!

Mr Badguy
09-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Just saw it on Blabbermouth. It will include the full performance, as well as 8mm backstage and light tower footage, and the usual other extras...interviews, etc.

I have had this on a bootleg video for several years....it is pretty cool. Glad it is going to be on DVD.

This is the performance where as part of the show, they blew up one of Ritchie Blackmore's Marshall cabinets and it very nearly blew him off the front of the stage...

I WILL own this..
:cool:

There is a snippet of it on the recently released "Live in concert 1972/73" DVD which features the full length version of "Burn".

The picture and sound are far better than the footage of ELP from the same show on their recent DVD.

I saw that bit with Blackmore...funny as shit.:D

I`m surprised he didn`t kill someone with his guitar when he was smashing it up then throwing it into the crowd.

You`d get your ass sued for that shit these days.

Hardrock69
09-02-2005, 03:38 PM
No shit....he really destroyed that motherfucker....and yes, he did not just "toss" it into the crowd, he threw it! Looks like he threw it HARD!

Oh well.

blueturk
09-02-2005, 07:10 PM
They need to release the whole thing on DVD. Especially the sets by Black Sabbath and Black Oak Arkansas.

VonHalen
09-02-2005, 09:33 PM
cool, ill check it out

Shaun Ponsonby
09-04-2005, 06:57 AM
I'm glad to see a Coverdale/Hughes-era DVD finally.

Actually, there was a Deep Purple documentry on a few weeks ago and they mentioned that Ritchie Blackmore was nearly arrested at this gig.

You see, it had been agreed that they would go on at sunset, that way they would be the first band to use lights, and where as most gigs like this run a bit late, this one was running an hour early, so it was still bright outside when they were told to go on stage, but Ritchie was saying "No, we're going on at sunset", which is understandable, they signed a contract to say they will go on at sunset, so if they wont go on beforehand, fair enough.

But, the organisers wern't too pleased because there were 300,000 angry fans waiting for them to come on and Ritchie refused to go on, so the rest of the band hid him when the police were called until sunset, and when sunset came they took to the stage.

But, Ritchie had his revenge when he was wacking the camera with his guitar. That bit where he is destroying everything that comes within a yard of him is pure rock 'n' roll.