PDA

View Full Version : The Michael Schenker Story

Hardrock69
09-03-2005, 10:00 PM
This has been around for a couple of years (I thought anyway).

However there is an interview with him from December of 2004, and a bonus: Bootleg video of a show he did in Tokyo in 2000!!!!

The main show on this DVD was recorded in Tokyo in 1997, and is fairly lengthy, covering his entire career!!! The set list is 30 FUCKING SONGS!!!

I have only seen him once in my life, and it was with the same lineup...fucking Shane Galass and Barry Sparks for the rhythm section...God DAMN they are MONSTERS!!!

Some interesting facts about Michael...

1. He was asked to Join the Rolling Stones back in the early 70s, but he had just hooked up with UFO and turned them down, as he did not think his style would be right for them.

2. Ozzy wanted him to step in right after Randy Rhoads died, but he was in the midst of recording with MSG and so had to say no.

3. In about 1991, Robbin Crosby of Ratt left the band, just before they were to kick off their U.S. Tour to support "Detonator". Guess who actually replaced him for that tour? You guessed it..Michael Schenker!!!

Shit....I would have gone just to see Mikey.....

Michael Schenker is one of my 5 favorite guitarists (The other four being Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore and Jeff Beck). A totally unique stylist, with incredible chops, and a fellow purveyor of kickass rock music through a Gibson Flying V..

Just had to post my mini-review of this DVD and rant a bit about Mikey...

He kicks MOTHERFUCKING ASS!!!!

:cool:

rustoffa
09-03-2005, 10:45 PM
No fucking shit. Can you imagine if they released "Strangers In The Night: A UFO tour retrospective"?

That fucker just destroys....listen to that Scorpions "Lovedrive" album...puttin' on the ritz.

The Scatologist
09-04-2005, 02:23 AM
Shane Gaalas and Barry Sparks played together again on the B'z US tour last year also.

Shane has been one of their main drummers for years now.

(B'z are a Japanese Rock band that's like a singer and a guitarist, and for the rest, they use guest musicians like Billy Sheehan)

Shaun Ponsonby
09-04-2005, 06:39 AM
Schenker is a legend, but his head is too big. Like, he was supposed to be playing with Yngwie Malmsteen back in June, but he cancelled because he was down as a special guest and not a co-headliner. And I bought the ticket JUST to see him. Ah, well, Yngwie was entertaining enough. Especially when his amps went down at the end and he starting hurling abuse at his Roadie.

What songs are in the Tokyo gig?

Is it the usaul suspects? Rock Bottom, Armed And Ready, Only You Can Rock Me, Into The Arena, Attack of the Mad Axeman, I'm A Loser, Another Piece of Meat, Doctor Doctor, Shoot Shoot etc

My Alan, those songs alone are worth it.

The Scatologist
09-04-2005, 07:43 PM
The outro solo of On and On is killer.

ThrillsNSpills
09-05-2005, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by The Scatologist
The outro solo of On and On is killer.

the Live at Budokan lead break's not too shabby either.

Schenker's got a new one coming out with all of his singers contributing vocal tracks,

I think he was the only guitarist who had multiple lead singers and it worked. Anyway , read more about his new album here
michael schenker himself (michaelschenkerhimself.com)

Here's the info:

25 Years MSG Celebration CD
TALES OF ROCK ‘N’ ROLL

Featuring all new songs, all new performances
and all new recordings.
5 songs have already been mixed and there
will be a total of 19 songs on the CD

Jari Tiura, Robin McAuley and Kelly Keeling have already done their vocals.

Leif Sundin and Chris Logan are next to record their Vocals.

Graham Bonnet and Gary Barden have completed their vocals.

Michael feels that the material is turning out really good and that It will be the perfect celebration album.

Mr. Vengeance
09-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Always liked that guy's work....His ego really killed his career.

Hardrock69
09-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Uh Shaun, yes all those and tons more.

I mean, UFO, Scorpions, and all the best MSG shit....

I have been trying to play Captain Nemo for 20 years, and I still cannot nail it. Just one of those riffs that is a bitch to play. I can get it 90% close, but not to where I can play it effortlessly.

I met him at the club gig I saw him at. Got him to sign an 8 X 10 for me.

After waiting for 20 years to see him play, it was very much worth it. I was right in front of him during the gig, leaning against the barrier.

Fucking awesome....