PDA

View Full Version : NOLA would have fared better if Katrina was a direct hit...

Dave's PA Rental
09-04-2005, 10:28 PM
I think that New Orleans would have been better off if Katrina had been a direct hit, instead of missing to the east. Here is why.

That 17th Street Levee was far enough inland to survive the 25 foot storm surge. But since the center of the storm went a bit to the east of NOLA, the counter-clockwise movement of wind blew across Lake Ponchetrain (sp) in a NW to SE motion...for several hours. This basically caused the water to 'pile up' and press against those levees until they failed.

This was a WORSE than worse-case scenario. People thought that they were in the clear. They didnt realize that the lake was leaning to the south...

Nitro Express
09-04-2005, 11:38 PM
I was told years ago a hurricane going to the east of New Orleans would cause the tidal swell in Lake Ponchetrain to put enough pressure on the levey's that they possibly would fail.

The city of New Orleans has been warned about this for decades. The last time I was in New Orleans two years ago the roads and city infastructure were horrible, the crime rampant. I was hoping to spend a few days but left early because the city sucked. It was obviouse the city was very poorly managed and the tax money was going into all the welfare programs.

Is it the federal govts. responsibility to pay for city infastructure? New York City didn't whine this much when their disaster hit nor did they loot, murder, and rape when the power grid went down. New Orleans and their dumb ass mayor can blame the rest of the country all they want, but in the end, it's them who failed to heed decades of warnings and do anything about it.

Dave's PA Rental
09-04-2005, 11:48 PM
I think that they were predicting a storm surge for the levees, which is really a one-time type of wave.

This wind across Ponchetrain was a 'lee fetch' for 25 unempeeded miles, and it blew for hours and hours...

FORD
09-05-2005, 11:42 AM
The whole country would have fared better if a hurricane had hit Crawford Texas in August 2001 and decimated a certain phony ranch and its equally phony occupant.

Nitro Express
09-06-2005, 03:58 AM
Man is that ranch in Crawford, TX ugly! Bush isn't even smart enough to have a nice ranch.