PDA

View Full Version : Rice makes the team...or does he?

POJO_Risin
09-05-2005, 09:50 AM
He's made the team as the fourth...or fifth receiver for the Broncos...

does he stay...or does he retire?

Not among Broncos' top three WRs, Rice mulls end
Sep. 4, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

DENVER -- Jerry Rice was checked out of his hotel in Denver on Sunday, as he contemplated whether to retire or play his final season as a fourth or fifth receiver for the Broncos.

Rice survived Denver's cutdown to 53 players Saturday.

But his agent, Jim Steiner, said the NFL's all-time leading receiver had been notified by Broncos coach Mike Shanahan that he would not be their No. 3 receiver.

"That's out of the picture," Steiner said.

Steiner said Rice wanted to close out his career no lower than a third receiver.

"That's what his goal was," Steiner said. "That's what he wanted."

Workers at the hotel where Rice has stayed since he signed with Denver -- a golf resort close to the Broncos facility -- said Rice's golf clubs were gone, and he checked out of the hotel late last week. Steiner said Rice was in San Francisco on Sunday and a decision would likely come Monday, after he had a chance to meet with Shanahan.

Jerry Rice looks like he might not make it for a 21st NFL season. (AP)
The 42-year-old Rice signed with the Broncos this summer in hopes of playing a 21st season with a winner.

Midway through training camp, he moved ahead of Darius Watts as the team's third receiver. But in the third preseason game, last week against Indianapolis, Watts was playing ahead of Rice when the Broncos lined up in three-receiver sets.

In the preseason finale against Arizona, Rice played more, but that was because the starters were on the bench. Hampered by a nagging foot injury, Rice caught only four passes for 24 yards in the preseason and had trouble getting open.

Denver kept six receivers on its final roster, including Rice, Watts, Charlie Adams and Todd Devoe.

Walking off the field after Denver's final preseason game Friday, Rice told the Denver Post: "Those guys deserve to be on the field. They worked real hard. The thing is, I'm going to hold my head high if it doesn't work out."

At this point, it looks as if Watts is the third receiver and the other three are competing for the final two spots. If Denver stays with six receivers, Rice could be put in the position of being inactive for some of the team's games.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

DlocRoth
09-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Call it a day.....

God, when the best receiver in league history still plays and can't get drafted onto a fantasy football team by the 18th round....something's wrong.

ALinChainz
09-05-2005, 12:13 PM
He's done.

John Clayton is reporting he will annouce his retirement today.

Va Beach VH Fan
09-05-2005, 12:15 PM
He's gonna retire, 1:30 ET press conference...

Adam Sandler
09-05-2005, 03:07 PM
After 20 seasons, the Nfl's all-time leading receiver Jerry Rice announces his retirement!

Simply the Best!

Thanks for the memories Jerry!

POJO_Risin
09-05-2005, 03:12 PM
As I've said from the start...

he should play...as long as he can...

he has the rest of his life to be normal...

he played until he couldn't be a top 3 receiver...

here's to you Jerry...you're legacy wouldn't have been ruined even if you had played...

Mezro
09-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Mezro...G.O.A.T...and a class act...there will NEVER be another like him...enjoy all that cash Jerry...you earned it baby...

WARF
09-05-2005, 08:55 PM
He should have signed a one day contract with San Fran and retired as a 49ER.

Va Beach VH Fan
09-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by WARF

I believe that's what he's going to do....

redblkwht
09-06-2005, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by WARF
I agree too, that only makes
sense..finally hanging up the cleats, incredible athlete..

Brett
09-06-2005, 11:18 PM
I'm glad he decided to walk away now, smart decision. One of the greatest players the league has ever seen, and a tireless worker. And I fucking hate the Niners.

MAX
09-09-2005, 12:40 AM
Thank Goodness he fuckin' called it quits. Should've done it after that SB loss to Tampa.

A tip of my ten gallon hat (which I gladly don't own) to him.

Seriously, no denying what he gave to the game but I'm glad Shanahan didn't give him the nod.