PDA

View Full Version : Bush Nominates Roberts as Chief Justice

BigBadBrian
09-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Developing....

BigBadBrian
09-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Bush nominates Roberts as chief justice

Monday, September 5, 2005; Posted: 10:20 a.m. EDT (14:20 GMT)

President Bush nominates Judge John Roberts to be chief justice at the White House on Monday.WATCH Browse/Search

Bush nominates Roberts as chief justice (3:57)

Manage Alerts | What Is This? WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Moving quickly to fill the vacancy left by Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist's death, President Bush on Monday nominated Judge John Roberts to the nation's top judicial post.

"It is fitting that a great chief justice be followed in office by a person who shared his deep reverence for the Constitution, his profound respect for the Supreme Court and his complete devotion to the cause of justice," Bush said from the White House, with the judge by his side.

"I am honored and humbled by the confidence that the president has shown in me," Roberts said. (Watch nomination and acceptance -- 3:57)

"And I'm very much aware that, if I am confirmed, I would succeed a man that I deeply respect and admire, a man who has been very kind to me for 25 years."

Roberts accepted the offer in a meeting with Bush on Monday morning, a senior administration official said.

The move came a day before the Senate was to begin confirmation hearings to consider Roberts to succeed Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, who is retiring.

It remained unclear how the nomination would affect plans for confirmation hearings.

Since his nomination for associate justice earlier this summer, Roberts has garnered praise from many Republicans.

After Bush's announcement Monday, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tennessee, issued a statement saying the president "has made an excellent choice; Mr. Roberts is one of the most well qualified candidates to come before the Senate."

No Democrats have said they would reject Roberts when he was named to succeed O'Connor, but some have said they have many important questions to ask him in the Senate's confirmation hearings.

"This nomination certainly raises the stakes in making sure that the American people and the Senate know Judge Roberts' views fully before he assumes perhaps the second most powerful position in the United States," said Sen. Charles Schumer, D-New York, the ranking Democrat on the Judiciary Committee's Administrative Oversight and the Courts Subcommittee, in a written statement.

"Judge Roberts has a clear obligation to make his views known fully and completely at the hearings, and we look forward to them."

Bush called on the Senate to confirm Roberts within a month. The high court begins its new term the first Monday in October.

Rehnquist, who quietly advanced the conservative ideology of the Supreme Court under his leadership, died Saturday. He was 80.

The high court said that Rehnquist's body will lie in repose in the Supreme Court's Great Hall on Tuesday and Wednesday. His funeral will be held at 2 p.m. ET Wednesday at St. Matthew's Cathedral in Washington. He will be buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

The justice, diagnosed with thyroid cancer, had a tracheotomy and received chemotherapy and radiation as part of his treatment.

Roberts, a 1979 graduate of Harvard Law School, clerked in 1980 and 1981 for Rehnquist before the latter was elevated to chief justice.

Roberts, 50, who serves on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, considered the most influential federal panel outside of the Supreme Court, took the bench in 2003.

He was nominated to the same court in 1992 by the president's father, President George H.W. Bush, but his nomination did not come up for a vote in the Democratic-controlled Senate before the White House changed hands in January 1993.

A longtime appellate attorney, Roberts has argued 39 cases before the Supreme Court, both in private practice and as deputy solicitor general during the elder Bush's administration.

Bush also vowed Monday to select a nominee to replace O'Connor "in a timely manner."

O'Connor has said she will stay on the court until she is replaced.

Link (http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/05/roberts.nomination/index.html)

Phil theStalker
09-05-2005, 10:32 AM
I like that "Developing..." first post, BBB.

That is very creative.

Why wait until you have something to post?

Just post, Developing...

Can I post, copulating...?

:spank:

Mr. Vengeance
09-05-2005, 11:11 AM
It's another absolute Bush joke. He's nominating his boy, and jumping him over all the other judges, mainly to further his own religious, right-wing, republican agenda.

Get ready for Roe vs. Wade to be overturned, America. Get ready for even more freedoms to disappear from the USA.

Again, I'm so happy to be Canadian when I see crap like this.

FORD
09-05-2005, 12:21 PM
It's time for Chimpeachment. Let's hope this horrendous fuck up in New Orleans has woken up a few Republicans in Congress.

Mr. Vengeance
09-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Ford, dude, I wish it would, but if anything I've learned in 38 years is that you can NEVER change a republican. They are the rich for the rich by the rich and they will never see beyond the end of their fucking noses. Anything conservative is 100% right and any other opinion is wrong according to them.

A blowjob gets impeachment, but deaths of tens of thousands with no action will result in nothing.

Nickdfresh
09-05-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
Ford, dude, I wish it would, but if anything I've learned in 38 years is that you can NEVER change a republican. They are the rich for the rich by the rich and they will never see beyond the end of their fucking noses. Anything conservative is 100% right and any other opinion is wrong according to them.

A blowjob gets impeachment, but deaths of tens of thousands with no action will result in nothing.

Sad isn't it...

The fact that Conservatives would support an inexperienced and obviously, as-of-yet, unqualified judge to head the court shows how little respect they have for American institutions and the Enlightenment ideals of the AMERICAN Founding Fathers...

Yet another hypocritical double standard of the mindless retarded "Christian" morons...

BigBadBrian
09-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

Yet another hypocritical double standard of the mindless retarded "Christian" morons...

Another brilliant statement brought to you from the Party of Tolerance.

:gulp:

Mr. Vengeance
09-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

Yes tolerance really is horrible isn't it????:rolleyes:

DrMaddVibe
09-05-2005, 08:03 PM
2...2...2 nominees in 1!

BOO-YEAH!!!!!!

DLR'sCock
09-05-2005, 09:20 PM
LMFAO, this is some fucking hilarious comedy. Wait, BUWWHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, ok now I need a drink.

The Republi-nazi's!!!! If we don't like you, we'll kill you.

Warham
09-06-2005, 07:03 AM
I approve of Bush's selection.

It was either Roberts for Chief Justice, or Scalia. You liberals definately do not want Scalia as CJ.

DrMaddVibe
09-06-2005, 07:05 AM
I took Bush's nomination as a vote of "no confidence" on the sitting Court.

Nickdfresh
09-06-2005, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

I was just trying to stir shit up:D Mission Accomplished!

Guitar Shark
09-06-2005, 11:55 AM
I have to think that the sitting justices won't take this news well. Appointing a "newbie" to be in charge of the most powerful court in the land? Not unprecedented, but definitely odd.

FORD
09-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
I have to think that the sitting justices won't take this news well. Appointing a "newbie" to be in charge of the most powerful court in the land? Not unprecedented, but definitely odd.

Can they reverse their decision of 12/12/2000 and install Gore as President? :D

ELVIS
09-06-2005, 01:09 PM
Who is Gore ??

FORD
09-06-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Who is Gore ??

The President who's actually DOING something for your neighbors..................

http://www.algoresupportcenter.com/AlGoreNewOrleans.jpg

Mission of Mercy: Gore brings storm victims to home state
2005-09-04
by Darren Dunlap
of The Daily Times

They were tired, weary and gracious.

Some needed medical care, and others simply wanted a shower. Many were elderly and fragile.

Rob Webb, director of Rural/Metro Ambulance Service in Blount County, said hospital patients and evacuees flown into Knoxville from New Orleans Saturday showed their gratitude as they left the plane.

``I welcomed them to Tennessee, told them they were going to be taken care of in a nice hospital,'' Webb said.

An American Airlines plane arrived at McGhee Tyson Airport at 3:10 p.m. Saturday with about 130 people from New Orleans.

Former Vice President Al Gore was on the plane, helping patients. He did not grant interviews to reporters Saturday.

``My understanding was that he made this happen, that he actually arranged for this aircraft,'' Webb said.

Ninety of the passengers were patients from Mercy Hospital in New Orleans, according to Knox County spokesman Dwight Van de Vate.

A dozen patients were taken to Blount Memorial Hospital. Ten were treated and released. Two were admitted to the hospital. Those not admitted to Blount Memorial Hospital will go to a shelter at Blount Christian Church in Maryville. Three people checked into the shelter on Saturday.

Several patients were diabetic, and some needed dialysis. Many patients had been without medication for ``several days,'' but were ``relatively stable,'' said Dr. Roger Brooksbank, an emergency physician with Team Health at Blount Memorial Hospital.

The remaining 40 passengers were evacuees who needed no ``acute medical care,'' according to Van de Vate. Regardless, all were taken to hospitals in Knoxville, Blount County, Oak Ridge and Jefferson County for evaluation. They were divided among the hospitals to prevent overwhelming them.

There were two children on board who were not ``chaperoned,'' said Van de Vate. The children were taken to East Tennessee Children's Hospital for evaluation. They would likely be placed in foster homes by Tennessee Department of Children's Services. Van de Vate said the shelters are not equipped to take children.

Many of the people not being hospitalized would be taken to a shelter at First Baptist Church in downtown Knoxville, he said.

East Tennessee hospitals and emergency services agencies learned Friday night the plane would be arriving Saturday. Planning began at 9:30 a.m. Saturday.

Initially, the plane was scheduled to arrive at 1:10 p.m. Saturday, but arrived two hours later.

``It was originally supposed to go to Chicago, but it came here,'' Van de Vate said.

Vanderbilt physician Anderson Spicker went with medical crew to New Orleans to pick up the evacuees and patients. He said Saturday evening that they would have returned that night to pick up more people, but the lights at Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport landing strip were not working.

``I want to emphasize how pleased we are, how we trusted this city to get resources together,'' Spicker said. ``We didn't even know what kind of patients we were going to have.''

Kelley Mure, Blount County Homeland Security Director, said the emergency assistance came through a mutual agreement between 16 counties in East Tennessee, including Knox and Blount counties.

``They had a plan in place, they activated it, and it worked,'' Mure said. ``The only glitch was it was `hurry up and wait.'''

ELVIS
09-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Good

:elvis:

Warham
09-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Gore looks like he's been doing some lines.