PDA

View Full Version : King of Stand-up

Lloyd Anger
09-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Vote. Obviously there are a lot of funny fuckers out there. Feel free to chime in on your own funny fucker.

DlocRoth
09-05-2005, 04:48 PM
You forgot Bill Hicks.

R.I.P.

Now HE was a funny motherfucker.

Seshmeister
09-05-2005, 05:25 PM
e) None of the above

fe_lung
09-05-2005, 08:03 PM
Yeah, fuck, where's George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Eddie Izzard, Dave Attell, David Cross, Steve Martin, Robin Williams, Jackie Martling, Eddie Murphy, Dennis Miller, Margaret Cho, Stephen Lynch, ...

Your list is a little anemic!

Unchainme
09-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Dennis Miller and Lewis Black.

DlocRoth
09-05-2005, 08:29 PM
How about Denis Leary and Rodney Dangerfield....

Ozzy Fudd
09-05-2005, 08:30 PM
Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star..... Blow Me !

Andrew Dice Clay

Lloyd Anger
09-05-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by fe_lung
Yeah, fuck, where's George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Eddie Izzard, Dave Attell, David Cross, Steve Martin, Robin Williams, Jackie Martling, Eddie Murphy, Dennis Miller, Margaret Cho, Stephen Lynch, ...

I'm lookin' to have a little fun with this not lookin' for condisending dribble. But with Margaret Cho and Robin Williams on your list, i'll consider the source.

Lloyd Anger
09-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Ozzy Fudd
Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star..... Blow Me !

Andrew Dice Clay

Fuck yeah. Thats the shit i'm talkin' about.

Twinkle twinkle little star,
how I wonder what you are.
Shine upon the parking lot,
as I eat my girlfriends twat.

Lloyd Anger
09-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by DlocRoth
How about Denis Leary and Rodney Dangerfield....

Very nice. No arguments here. It's fuckers like this that can make us forget about how shitty life can be at times.

Laughter is the best medicine. And a cold beer don't hurt neither.

Seshmeister
09-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Denis Leary stole most of his act from Bill Hicks and is hated by most other comics.

fe_lung
09-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Lloyd Anger
I'm lookin' to have a little fun with this not lookin' for condisending dribble. But with Margaret Cho and Robin Williams on your list, i'll consider the source.

Hey, everyone likes different stuff. Williams may be too manic, Cho too queer, whatever. My point was simply that there's a lot missing. Considering all the greats out there, why only 4 people - especially when 2 of them (dice and kinnison) haven't done anything (for whatever the reason) in about 15 years.

FasterPussycat
09-05-2005, 09:44 PM

Yup I second that... No options for Richard Pryor and George Carlin??? They are very influential in that field and are my favorite...

guitarboy5150
09-05-2005, 09:54 PM
dane cook is pretty good i like most of the people that do the comedy central roasts like greg giraldo and nick dipaolo

redblkwht
09-06-2005, 01:36 AM
Very nice. No arguments here. It's fuckers like this that can make us forget about how shitty life can be at times.

Amen brother..
I dig your attitude-

redblkwht
09-06-2005, 01:42 AM
Out of your list..
Dice was cool back in the day
but shimmell nowadays is
hilarious, i saw him on HBO
last yr, what a great hour of laughs!

I second the Rodney vote!!

fryingdutchman
09-06-2005, 04:45 AM
Out of that list, Sam Kinison still rules.

Lloyd Anger
09-06-2005, 05:48 AM
Hey, everyone likes different stuff. Williams may be too manic, Cho too queer, whatever. My point was simply that there's a lot missing. Considering all the greats out there, why only 4 people - especially when 2 of them (dice and kinnison) haven't done anything (for whatever the reason) in about 15 years.

My first poll. I now realize I could have had as many as 10. Now I know better. My fault.

Lloyd Anger
09-06-2005, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by guitarboy5150
dane cook is pretty good i like most of the people that do the comedy central roasts like greg giraldo and nick dipaolo

My sons turned me on to Dane Cook. That guys a riot.

DrMaddVibe
09-06-2005, 06:33 AM
Redd Foxx...Lenny Bruce...Cheech & Chong...is this thing on?

Lloyd Anger
09-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Also the big boy from Minnesota, Louie Anderson. Not as hardcore but funny as hell. A refreshing and welcome change. He does alot of charity work around here.

Lloyd Anger
09-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Redd Foxx...Lenny Bruce...Cheech & Chong...is this thing on?

I remember seeing a video years ago where Redd Foxx was drinking his booze out of a titty cup. He took a big pull, then, not to waste any, licked the nipple. Blew me away seeings my only other knowledge of him was on mainstream t.v. Good shit.

Shaun Ponsonby
09-07-2005, 01:01 PM
The best Stand-Up Comedian of all time? You haven't mentioned him yet.

The best thing to come out of Scotland...

BILLY CONNOLLY

Wanna know why?

Unlike most of the comedians mentioned, he has no script, he doesn't even write down ideas, he just opens his mouth and talks. He doesn't even have anything to jog his memory onstage. You could go and see him every night on tour and you will see a completely different show each time, and its about REAL things that the working class can ACTUALLY relate to.

flappo
09-07-2005, 01:31 PM
joe rogan !

Blizz
09-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Personally I think Shimmel is the funniest one of the bunch. But Kineson is a close second.

DlocRoth
09-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Denis Leary stole most of his act from Bill Hicks and is hated by most other comics.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned Bill Hicks first!

Love that dude...
That's why I like Leary too.

Lloyd Anger
09-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby

BILLY CONNOLLY

Wanna know why?

Unlike most of the comedians mentioned, he has no script, he doesn't even write down ideas, he just opens his mouth and talks. He doesn't even have anything to jog his memory onstage. You could go and see him every night on tour and you will see a completely different show each time, and its about REAL things that the working class can ACTUALLY relate to.

This guy sounds great. I don't think i've seen or heared him before. Does he have any recorded material?

Lloyd Anger
09-07-2005, 05:57 PM
Yeah, that's why I mentioned Bill Hicks first!

Love that dude...
That's why I like Leary too.

I have a casette around here somewhere of Bill Hicks. I'm paraphrasing now but I remember him talkin' about smokin' cigarettes and sayin' something like "I know their not good for you. I just don't buy the ones that say 'may cause lung cancer'. Low birth rate? Now I can live with that". Thanks for bringin' him up Dloc. Time to go find that record.

Susie Q
09-07-2005, 07:17 PM
I would have to say some of the people who post on this board are quite the genius when they throw one liners.

Besides the popular comedians out there, some of my favorite comedian posters here are:

Flappo, Sesh, Grimsdale, Reverberator, Guwapo Rocker, and a few others I can't think of right now.

fe_lung
09-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby

BILLY CONNOLLY

He's kind of a big deal among comics but the public doesn't know a lot about him.

David Cross works that way as well. A couple short pieces are rehearsed, but the bulk of it is on the spot. It takes something to do that and do it well.

diamondsgirl
09-07-2005, 10:43 PM

George Carlin has GOT to be one of the funniest comedians ever.

Wendy Liberman (sp?) is really funny, too.

diamondsgirl
09-07-2005, 10:44 PM
Sam Kineson had a great act, too.

Soul Reaper
09-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Eddie Izzard - incredibly funny, very surreal, i think most of it is improvised.

Peter Kay - garlic bread?

Billy Connolly - basically a genius

Lee Evans - basically mad

Seshmeister
09-08-2005, 12:14 PM
This guy sounds great. I don't think i've seen or heared him before. Does he have any recorded material?

Tons.

Early stuff is best.

I see there is a Best of DVD available in the US on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006JMQR/qid=1126195976/sr=1-12/ref=sr_1_12/102-7064142-1847335?v=glance&s=dvd

Cheers!

:gulp:

flappo
09-08-2005, 01:59 PM
bobby davro

jimmy cricket

Matt White
09-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Richard Pryor...

Bill Cosby........

Emo Phillips...........

Golden AWe
09-08-2005, 02:42 PM
michael jackson

Mr. Vengeance
09-08-2005, 02:47 PM
The best-
Sam Kinison- hands down.

2. Rodney Dangerfield
3. Eddie Murphy
4. George Carlin
5. Richard Pruor

flappo
09-08-2005, 02:55 PM
bill gates

Mr Grimsdale
09-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Jimmy Tarbuck

SloBurn
09-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Billy Connolly. Bar none.

BenJammin
09-09-2005, 03:03 AM
You forgot Bill Hicks.

R.I.P.

Now HE was a funny motherfucker.

Glad to see someone brought his name up so quick. One of the best ever.

I also truly dug Mitch Hedberg, a true original and another that left this earth way too early.

Plus a word to any future comedians out there... please stay away from airplane jokes... everything funny that can be said about traveling in an airplane has been done already.

I might get flamed for this, but I caught one standup performance many years ago from Tom Arnold, although corny at some points, that was so rapid fire and earnest he had me rolling! He was kind of like some used car salesman with too much coffee in him with a rat-a-tat-tat delivery. Wish I could see that again.

frets5150
09-09-2005, 03:19 AM
Redd Foxx

Shaun Ponsonby
09-09-2005, 03:07 PM

go to www.billyconnolly.com

Get "An Audience With Billy Connolly", this is a series in the UK were celebrities perform in front of their peers and admirers, who are also celebrities, and the celebrities are supposed to ask the person questions. Well, there is 2 versions of this. In the TV version, there are no people who get a chance to ask a question, and in the Uncut version, only about 3 people get a question in, and thats because he just goes on and on. My mum and Dad went to see him a few years ago and he was supposed to be on for 1 hour 45 mins, he ended up being on for around 3 hours.

He's kind of a big deal among comics but the public doesn't know a lot about him.

That may be the case in America, but he's a huge celebrity in the UK. Actually, you may have seen him in a couple of films, I think his most recent one was "The Last Samuri" with Tom Cruise.

The last time he played some shows in England, he played around 2 months in the Hammersmith Apollo (formely The Hammersmith Odeon).

Shaun Ponsonby
09-09-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by SloBurn
Billy Connolly. Bar none.

Indeed...

singerman
09-09-2005, 04:24 PM
without question its got to be Robbie Williams.....very funny in Mork And Mindy but i think hes lost it now by going into music...yeah hes had a few hit singles for sure.....but to drop his comedy act for good?.....big mistake!....hang up your microphone Robbie!!.....and start work on 'Flubber 2'

Shaun Ponsonby
09-23-2005, 11:08 AM
:D

Soul Reaper
09-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by singerman
without question its got to be Robbie Williams.....very funny in Mork And Mindy but i think hes lost it now by going into music...yeah hes had a few hit singles for sure.....but to drop his comedy act for good?.....big mistake!....hang up your microphone Robbie!!.....and start work on 'Flubber 2'

:confused:

EbDawson
09-23-2005, 05:46 PM

I gotta borrow that line. :D

And I vote for Rodney.