PDA

View Full Version : Recommandation Thread.

Last_Child
09-06-2005, 10:45 AM
This is an Example:

Band:
Ttitle:
Year Of Release:
Genre:
Songs:
Track Listing:

Comments:

Got It?
Yes.

I'll Start off.

Band: Mott The Hoople.
Title: All The Young Dudes
Year Of Release: 1972
Genre: Classic Rock
Songs: 9
Track Listing:

1.Sweet Jane
2.Momma's Little Jewel
3.All The Young Dudes
4.Sucker
5.Jerkin' Crokus
6.One Of The Boys
7.Soft Ground
8.Ready For Love/After Lights
9.Sea Diver

Comments: Buy It!:mad:
Play It Loud:mad:
Love It:mad:
http://mypage.direct.ca/j/jcmcc/mott10.jpg

Rikk
09-06-2005, 10:58 AM
Band: Iggy and the Stooges
Title: Raw Power
Year Of Release: 1973
Genre: Garage Rock
Songs: 8
Track Listing:
1. Search and Destroy
2. Gimme Danger
3. Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell
4. Penetration
5. Raw Power
6. I Need Somebody
7. Shake Appeal
8. Death Trip

Comments: Simply put, one of the best rock 'n' roll records ever recorded. This is a record that knocks you down and refuses to let up. It is absolutely relentless in its crushing sound, distorted production and garage quality. The songs are first-rate, IGGY is suitably jacked up and the guitar hurts your ears. Most current CD versions are the much-improved remix that brings up the rhythm section and beefs up the mix.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002AP1.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Mr. Vengeance
09-06-2005, 06:30 PM
Band: Kings of the Sun
Title: Kings of the Sun
Year Of Release: 1988
Genre: Hard Rock
Songs: 12
Track Listing:
1. Serpentine
2. Get on Up
3. Black Leather
4. Tom Boy
5. Hot to Trot
6. Vicious Delicious
7. Jealous
8. Bottom of My Heart
9. Cry 4 Love
10. Medicine Man
11. Bad Love
12. Wildcat

Comments: One of the more overlooked hard rock albums of the 1980's. The band hails from Australia, and naturally gets compared to AC/DC, but they are much more comparable to "Electric"-era Cult. Pretty much every song here is just uptempo rock boogie. Highlights are Serpentine, Get on Up, Black Leather, Tom Boy, hell, all of side freaking one!!!!! Might be hard to find, but you can get it at cdnow.com

Coyote
09-07-2005, 01:40 AM
Band: Status Quo
Title: On The Level
Year Of Release: 1975
Genre: Rock'n'roll
Songs: 10
Track Listing:
1. Little Lady
2. Most Of The Time
3. I Saw The Light
4. Over & Done
5. Nightride
6. Down Down
7. Broken Man
8. What To Do
9. Where I Am
10. Bye Bye Johnny

Comments:

If you're looking for an album that'll make you wanna pose in front of the mirror with the ol' tennis racket, this is the one. This is Chuck Berry's rock'n'roll at full blast, headin' down the freeway in a tricked out ragtop, snortin' pure nitro, while giving the finger to the 50 cent-lookalike in that silver Mercedes blocking the other lane.

http://rateyourmusic.com/album_images/o24339.jpg

Wawazat
09-07-2005, 02:36 AM
If Status Quo ever had a good album, this is the one.

Coyote
09-07-2005, 04:53 AM
Band: Thin Lizzy
Title: Johnny The Fox
Year Of Release: 1976
Genre: Hard Rock
Track Listing:
1. Johnny
2. Rocky
3. Borderline
4. Don't Believe A Word
5. Fools Gold
6. Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed
7. Old Flame
8. Massacre
9. Sweet Marie
10. Boogie Woogie Dance

Comments:

Known as "the son of Jailbreak", Johnny The Fox is also known as Lizzy's other best album. Fuck it, I'm in a hurry here. If Jailbreak had a few mis-steps ("Running Back", for example), this one has none.
You can honestly listen to the whole thing in one session. Twice.

Jérôme Frenchise
09-07-2005, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
Band: Iggy and the Stooges
Title: Raw Power
Year Of Release: 1973
Songs: 8
Track Listing:
1. Search and Destroy
2. Gimme Danger
3. Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell
4. Penetration
5. Raw Power
6. I Need Somebody
7. Shake Appeal
8. Death Trip

Comments: Simply put, one of the best rock 'n' roll records ever recorded. This is a record that knocks you down and refuses to let up. It is absolutely relentless in its crushing sound, distorted production and garage quality. The songs are first-rate, IGGY is suitably jacked up and the guitar hurts your ears. Most current CD versions are the much-improved remix that brings up the rhythm section and beefs up the mix.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002AP1.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I second Rikk's choice... This is THE one to get if you ain't got it yet, right? :cool:

Last_Child
09-10-2005, 03:15 PM
Bump!

bueno bob
09-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Band: Circle II Circle
Ttitle: The Middle of Nowhere
Year Of Release: 2005
Genre: Metal
Track Listing:

01. In This Life
02. All That Remains
03. Open Season
04. Holding On
05. Cynical Ride
06. Hollow
07. Psycho Motor
08. Faces in the Dark
09. The Middle of Nowhere
10. Lost (The Cleansing)

Comments:

Zak Stevens understands what made classic Savatage so good better than Jon Oliva does at this point. Any fans of prog, straight ahead metal, old school Savatage, whatever...this is your ticket. The even better news is that this (and their debut, "Watching in Silence") have been picked up by WEA for stateside distribution this year :)

This is a VERY good, very tight album and the best Savatage related album since Criss Oliva passed away in 1993, hands down.

Got It? Yes.

Roth Renegade
09-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Band: Barry Manilow
Ttitle: self titled
Year Of Release: 1989
Genre: classic rock
Songs: 11
Track Listing:

01 Please Don't Be Scared
02 Keep Each Other Warm
03 Once and for All
04 The One That Got Away
05 When the Good Times Come Again
06 Some Good Things Never Last
07 In Another World
08 You Begin Again
09 My Moonlight Memories of You
10 Anyone Can Do the Heartbreak
11 A Little Travelling Music, Please

http://www.songlyricscollection.com/lyrics/b/barry-manilow/barry-manilow-1989/barry-manilow-1989.jpg

Comments:I've just recently rediscovered this album (by the way, it's the same as the one titled please don't be scared and have found that it's probably my favorite Barry Manilow album in total!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The songs are so melodious and the lyrics are so poignant. It's the kind of music you find yourself singing or humming long after you've stopped listening to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! While some of the lyrics are slightly sad, they have the ability to convey the meaningfulness and the purposefulness of having courage and anticipating better days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The richness of Manilow's music is never better, underscoring and enhancing the words as only his melodies can do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A MUST HAVE for any hopeful romantic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zeronumber
09-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Band: Cheap Trick
Ttitle: Dream Police
Year Of Release: 1979
Genre: Rock
Track Listing:

01- Dream Police
02- Way of the World
03- The House is Rockin'
04- Gonna Raise Hell
05- I'll be With You Tonight
06- Voices
07- Writing On the Wall
08- I Know What I want
09- Need Your Love

Comments: Not only one of the best rock albulms to emerge in the late 70's, but also probably the best albulm ever released by Cheap Trick. Highly diverse, entertaining, rocking, and enjoyable, it's worth a listen from begining to end whenever you hear it. The cd showcased the enormous talent, and high level of song writting of Rick Nielson.

Got It? Yes.

Roth Renegade
09-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Good album zero, did you like the 1989 barry manilow album I just posted before yours????????

nosuchluck
09-11-2005, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Band: Circle II Circle
Ttitle: The Middle of Nowhere

sounds interesting.
i think i'm gonna check this one out...

Soul Reaper
09-11-2005, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Roth Renegade
Good album zero, did you like the 1989 barry manilow album I just posted before yours????????

is this Grimsdale?

bueno bob
09-11-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by nosuchluck
sounds interesting.
i think i'm gonna check this one out...

You won't regret it.

Unchainme
09-11-2005, 12:24 PM
http://www.rockdetector.com/assets/img/covers/12297.jpg

Band:Aerosmith
Ttitle:Live! Bootleg
Year Of Release:1978
Genre:Classic Rock/Hard Rock
Songs: all Of 'em are grate
Track Listing:
1. Back In The Saddle
2. Sweet Emotion
3. Lord Of The Thighs
4. Toys In The Attic
5. Last Child
6. Come Together
7. Walk This Way
8. Sick As A Dog
9. Dream On
10. Chip Away The Stone
11. Sight For Sore Eyes
12. Mama Kin
13. S.O.S
14. I Ain't Got You
15. Mother Popcorn
16. Train Kept A Rollin'/Strangers In The Night
UNLISTED TRACK:
15. Draw The Line

Recorded: 3/20/73 - Boston (14,15-MP)
Recorded: 7/03/77 - Louisville (9)
Recorded: 7/04/77 - Indianapolis (1,8,12,13)
Recorded: 2/24/78 - Columbus (11)
Recorded: 3/23/78 - Chicago (2,3,4)
Recorded: 3/26/78 - Philadelphia (15-DTL)
Recorded: 4/02/78 - Detroit (7,16)
Recorded: 4/08/78 - Santa Monica (10)
Recorded: 8/09/78 - Boston (5)
Recorded: 8/21/78 - Waltham, Ma (6)

Comments: One of the best Live Records ever in my opinion, It Truly shows Aerosmith at Their Peak, Of Course This is when They were up their With The Who and Led Zeppelin in terms of Musically,Popularity And Their Quality of Their live shows. This Is Right before Joe Perry quit and the band fell apart, And before A Certain band From Pasadena Became the most popular Rock And Roll in The US. Basically Anything From 1972-1993 From Aerosmith is Worth A Listen, They Are One Of My Favoirte Bands, And I hope They Become yours too.

Mr Badguy
09-12-2005, 06:36 AM
Band: Magnum
Title: Chase the dragon
Year: 1982
Genre: Pomp rock
Songs: 13
Track listing:

Soldier of the line
On the edge of the world
The spirit
Sacred hour
Walking the straight line
We all play the game
The teacher
The lights burned out
Back to earth
Hold back your love
Soldier of the line (live)
Sacred hour (live)
Long days black nights

Comments: If you like your rock with a melodic and pompous edge then look no further than this LP. Like Styx meets Queen and early Yes there are big choruses, lots of experimental synth work yet with a hard rock edge and great fantasy style lyrics. If only Magnum had a decent record company behind them they would have been massive. All of their albums are great, although some are let down by the production, this one gets everything right.

Big Fat Sammy
09-12-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
I second Rikk's choice... This is THE one to get if you ain't got it yet, right? :cool:

I will third that!

But...I would rank Funhouse slightly above it.

The Stooges
Album: Fun House
Released: 1970

1 Down On The Street
2 Loose
3 T.V. Eye
4 Dirt
5 1970
6 Funhouse
7 L.A. Blues

Comments: From Robert Christgau, Christgau's Record Guide....

Now I regret all the times I've used words like "power" and "energy" to describe rock and roll, because this is what such rhetoric should have been saved for. Shal I compare it to an atom bomb? a wrecker's ball? a hydroelectric plant? Language wasn't designed for the job. Yet despite its sonic impact I that the primary appeal of the music isn't physical -- I have to be in a certain mood of desperate abandon before it reaches my body. It always interests me intellectually, though -- with its repetitiveness beyond the call of incompetence and its solitary new-thing saxophone, this is genuinely "avant-garde" rock. The proof is the old avant-garde fallacy of "L.A. Blues" -- trying to make art about chaos by reproducing same. A-

Mr. Vengeance
09-12-2005, 03:38 PM
So far I agree on every one of these, with the exception of that stupid fucking Manilow entry.....

Mr. Vengeance
09-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Band: Modern Lovers
Title: The Modern Lovers
Year Of Release: 1976
Track Listing:
1. Roadrunner
2. Astral Plane
3. Old World
4. Pablo Picasso
5. She Cracked
6. Hospital
7. Someone I Care About
8. Girl Friend
9. Modern World

Comments: A record WAYYYYYYY ahead of it's time. Jonathan Richman's Modern Lovers sold maybe 5000 copies when it was originally released. It was so ahead of it's time that it was recorded several years earlier, and sat around before a company decided to put it on vinyl. The song Roadrunner alone has to have been covered a hundred times. (Joan Jett's version is the one that comes to mind immediately for me.) Just a wonderful, minimalist garage rock album, with catchy tunes. How can you not love the lyrics to Pablo Picasso? "Pablo Picasso, who was never called an asshole".

Mr Badguy
09-12-2005, 04:27 PM
Band: Diamond Head
Title: The white album
Year: 1980
Genre: Old school Heavy Metal
Songs: 7 (+ 7 bonus tracks)
Track listing:

Lightning to the nations
The Prince
Sucking my love
Am I evil
Sweet and innocent
It`s electric
Helpless
Shoot out the lights (bonus track)
Streets of gold (bonus track)
Waited too long (bonus track)
Play it loud (bonus track)
Diamond lights (bonus track)
We won`t be back (bonus track)
I don`t got (bonus track)

Comments: This could be arguably the greatest Heavy Metal album ever. Every song is packed with amazing riffs and dramatic arrangements. Like a mix of Sabbath and Zeppelin but still sounding totally original, this is one of my all time favourites. The album was rereleased with bonus tracks rounding up all of their singles and EPs which are just as good. Unfortunately Diamond Head were manged by the singers mum and when Foreigner`s manager Bud Prager enquired about the band she told him to get lost. Diamond Head should have been as big as Iron Maiden, as proved when Lars Ulrich stole all their ideas wholesale for his band, Metallica.

Mr. Vengeance
09-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Diamond Head is one band that just got hyped all over the place back in the early 80's, and never got anywhere. They have countless albums that never sold. If I had a recommendation for their albums, it would be Borrowed Time, which includes "Am I Evil?" from the "White Album"...

I never understood why this band influenced so many other metal bands, but never sold jack!

Mr Badguy
09-13-2005, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
Diamond Head is one band that just got hyped all over the place back in the early 80's, and never got anywhere. They have countless albums that never sold. If I had a recommendation for their albums, it would be Borrowed Time, which includes "Am I Evil?" from the "White Album"...

I never understood why this band influenced so many other metal bands, but never sold jack!

Three reasons:

1) Their amatuer set up as I described above with singer Sean Harris`s mum being their manager. That took them ages to get signed to a proper recording contract by which time fellow NWOBHM bands like Iron Maiden, Saxon and Def Leppard all had at least two albums out. That cost them a lot of their fanbase who lost interest.

2) They signed for a record company (MCA) who never gave a shit about them. They also wanted them to do more commercial material and sack their original drummer which led to their bass player walking out also. They fell apart not long after.

3) Their third album, 1983`s "Canturbury" not only showed a band who had evolved a lot faster than their fans wanted them to, sounding less out-and-out HM and more Zeppelinesque eclecticism, but the entire first run of the album (20,000 copies) jumped. Something you don`t get in the CD age.

The "Borrowed time" versions of the "White album" songs are inferior as the "Borrowed time" production sounds crap. If you heard the original versions of those tracks, which are really raw sounding, then you would know why I recommend it and rate it so highly.