PDA

View Full Version : City to Offer Free Trips to Las Vegas for Officers

Warham
09-07-2005, 08:11 AM
September 5, 2005
City to Offer Free Trips to Las Vegas for Officers

By JOSEPH B. TREASTER and CHRISTOPHER DREW

NEW ORLEANS, Sept. 4 - A day after two police suicides and the abrupt resignations or desertions of up to 200 police officers, defiant city officials on Sunday began offering five-day vacations - and even trips to Las Vegas - to the police, firefighters and city emergency workers and their families.

The idea of paid vacations was raised by both Mayor C. Ray Nagin and senior police officials who said that their forces were exhausted and traumatized and that the arrival of the National Guard had made way for the officers to be relieved.

"I'm very concerned about individuals who have been here, particularly since the first few days, and have been through a lot of hardship," Mr. Nagin said in an interview.

He said most of the police officers, firefighters and emergency medical workers "are starting to show signs of very, very serious stress, and this is a way to give them time to reunite with their families."

Mr. Nagin, who has been demanding more federal assistance for days as his city struggled with despair, death and flooding, said he had asked the Federal Emergency Management Agency to pay for the trips but the agency said it could not. He said the city, therefore, would pay the costs.

He said he believed there were now enough National Guard members in the city to allow the police to take a break and still keep the city secure, and he brushed off questions about whether such a trip might look like a dereliction of duty.

"I'll take the heat on that," Mr. Nagin said. "We want to cater to them."

His words were seconded by the police superintendent, P. Edwin Compass III, in a separate interview. "When you go through something this devastating and traumatic," Mr. Compass said, "you've got to do something dramatic to jump-start the healing process."

The officials were planning to send 1,500 workers out in two shifts for five days each. They are sending them to Las Vegas because of the availability of hotel rooms and to Atlanta because many of them had relatives there.

They said that they were trying to get the first officers on their way on Monday and that the first stop would be Baton Rouge, about 75 miles from here.

There the officers will be given physical examinations and inoculations against possible infection from the polluted floodwaters, said Col. Terry Ebbert, the director of homeland security for the city, who has authority over the police and fire departments and other emergency services.

Then, Colonel Ebbert and other officials said, those who want to go to Las Vegas or Atlanta will be given air transportation and a hotel room. The city is reserving hotel rooms in Baton Rouge, they said, adding that the officers and firefighters may also be given the choice of flying to other cities.

Colonel Ebbert, the senior official running the recovery and rescue operation, and Mr. Compass both said that they planned to take a break as well, but probably for less than five days, and that they would continue to direct the recovery by telephone.

Officials said they expected the military, with much greater resources, to expand rescue work, begin cleaning up the city and take the first steps toward reconstruction.

W. J. Riley, the deputy superintendent of police, said that by late Sunday afternoon more than 2,900 National Guard members and law enforcement officers from around the country were operating in New Orleans. By early evening, Mr. Riley said, the advance units of a 2,200-person force from the 82nd Airborne Division had landed.

Several thousand more soldiers were expected, including members of the First Cavalry Division.

Reinforcements are also expected for the fire department. Senior firefighters, who have been forced to ignore some fires and to try merely to keep the worst blazes from spreading, said that several hundred firefighters with fire engines and radio equipment were heading for New Orleans from departments around the country.

New Orleans officials said they would remain in charge. Mr. Riley, who has been on the police force for 24 years, will oversee the police department in the superintendent's absence.

"We haven't turned over control of the city," Colonel Ebbert said.

Mr. Riley said that 40 percent of the city's force of about 1,200 officers would remain at their posts while the others were on leave. When the first group returns, Mr. Riley said, those who stayed behind will get a break.

Deputy Fire Chief Joseph Matthews, who is also the director of the city's Office of Emergency Preparedness, said officials viewed the time off for their security forces as essential. "We've been at this six days and we need to give our people a break," he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/05/national/nationalspecial/05vegas.html?ei=5090&en=cc54b8b6ae100f44&ex=1283572800&adxnnl=1&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=print&adxnnlx=1126094948-DcBR03hhjL+INw/D/n9KBg

Warham
09-07-2005, 08:14 AM
This is your disaster...I mean mayor, New Orleans.

Warham
09-07-2005, 08:17 AM
Did Guiliani send the cops in New York on an all-expenses paid vacation less than a week after 9/11? I'm trying to remember.

Nickdfresh
09-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Warham
Did Guiliani send the cops in New York on a vacation less than a week after 9/11? I'm trying to remember.

That is such a bullshit analogy! Were the cops in New York cut off for five days while the Feds had their heads up their ass? Those cops were hunted on the streets and shot at...

Funny Warpig, but you don't have a problem as your president takes a vacation as his troops die in IRAQ?

Warham
09-07-2005, 08:22 AM
A person on another website said it best:

'Oh, great.

The N.O. citizens get an all expense-paid trip to the Houston Astro Dome, with communal living, sleeping arrangements on cots.

And the N.O. public servants get all expense-paid trip with their families to luxury hotels in Las Vegas.

Have they no shame?'

Warham
09-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
That is such a bullshit analogy! Were the cops in New York cut off for five days while the Feds had their heads up their ass? Those cops were hunted on the streets and shot at...

Funny Warpig, but you don't have a problem as your president takes a vacation as his troops die in IRAQ?

This has nothing to do with Bush, Nick.

Nickdfresh
09-07-2005, 08:25 AM
A person on another website said it best:

'Oh, great.

The N.O. citizens get an all expense-paid trip to the Houston Astro Dome, with communal living, sleeping arrangements on cots.

And the N.O. public servants get all expense-paid trip with their families to luxury hotels in Las Vegas.

Have they no shame?'

The President gets expense paid trips to his ranch in TEXASS while Servicemen get to stay in IRAQ and get killed by road side bombs. And he won't even attend one of their funerals...Has he no shame?

Try pulling your head out of the partisan shit for once WAR.:rolleyes:

Warham
09-07-2005, 08:25 AM
After looting Wal-Mart, they need a vacation.

How does New Orleans fund these trips anyway?

Warham
09-07-2005, 08:27 AM
The President gets expense paid trips to his ranch in TEXASS while Servicemen get to stay in IRAQ and get killed by road side bombs. And he won't even attend one of their funerals...Has he no shame?

Try pulling your head out of the partisan shit for once WAR.:rolleyes:

Nothing partisan about this, Nick. It's about the mayor sending cops on an all-expenses paid vacation during a crisis.

I can see you find nothing wrong with it.

Nickdfresh
09-07-2005, 08:27 AM
After profiting form the huge increase in oil stocks due to his energy policies...BUSH needs a vacation. It's not easy fucking up a war you know.:)

Nickdfresh
09-07-2005, 08:30 AM
Nothing partisan about this, Nick. It's about the mayor sending cops on an all-expenses paid vacation during a crisis.

I can see you find nothing wrong with it.

Who said I didn't find anything wrong with it?

But I find your partisan hypocrasy laughable....

Gee, after making some critical errors, maybe the mayor should take a vacation to his ranch in TEXASS?

Warham
09-07-2005, 08:30 AM
There's nothing partisan about this article, Nick. It's from your favorite newspaper, the New York Times. And we know they just love Bush.

Nickdfresh
09-07-2005, 08:33 AM
There's nothing partisan about this article, Nick. It's from your favorite newspaper, the New York Times. And we know they just love Bush.

Again, I'm not talking about the article, I'm talking about your blind, holier-than-now...It's all NAGIN's fault B.S.

Warham
09-07-2005, 08:34 AM
I didn't say it's all his fault, Nick. I've blamed everybody. If you didn't have your head up your ass the last few days, you would have seen that in other threads.

What I'd like to know is how he's going to pay for it.

Nickdfresh
09-07-2005, 08:38 AM
I didn't say it's all his fault, Nick. I've blamed everybody. If you didn't have your head up your ass the last few days, you would have seen that in other threads.

Yeah I can tell...

Warham
09-07-2005, 08:42 AM
I can tell the liplock you and Maddvibe have had the last few weeks has taken your attention away from other topics. I can see how you might miss some relevant posts in other threads.

Nickdfresh
09-07-2005, 08:56 AM
I can tell the liplock you and Maddvibe have had the last few weeks has taken your attention away from other topics. I can see how you might miss some relevant posts in other threads.

I can't help it, CLAY says he's a good kisser...

So I'll being seeing a "Cindy SHEEHAN was right" post from you soon?

Warham
09-07-2005, 09:19 AM
Michael Moore dumped Cindy. He's moved onto his new gal, Katrina.

LoungeMachine
09-07-2005, 09:47 AM

No point me getting in this one. Nick has exposed Warpig's hypcrisy quite well again

I did have to laugh at Warpig's typing of the question "have they no shame?"

LMMFAO !!!!

Ever ask that of your administration, pig?

LoungeMachine
09-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Michael Moore dumped Cindy. He's moved onto his new gal, Katrina.

Practicing for open mike night at Giggles?

keep practicing.:rolleyes:

Warham
09-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Practicing for open mike night at Giggles?

keep practicing.:rolleyes:

No, I've not made any attempts at being a stand-up comedian, but you've made some silly attempts at being relevant here.

BigBadBrian
09-07-2005, 02:29 PM
Which cops get the vacation?

The ones that abandoned their posts or the ones that stayed?

Hmm?

Guitar Shark
09-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Nobody's getting Vegas vacations until AFTER the crisis is over, from what I've heard.

Warham
09-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

Hmm?

No, the ones that looted Wal-Mart.

diamondD
09-07-2005, 03:39 PM
I've never really thought of Vegas as being a place you could go to relax.

Warham
09-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by diamondD
I've never really thought of Vegas as being a place you could go to relax.

Play some blackjack on Nagin's dime.

BigBadBrian
09-07-2005, 03:48 PM
No, the ones that looted Wal-Mart.

Well, at least they'll already have some tacky duds for Sin City West.

:gulp:

BITEYOASS
09-07-2005, 04:58 PM
Well it's a fact that the New Orleans police department is the most corrupt in the nation, heck I think the FBI reviewed them twice. And I tell you what, if something like this happened in Detroit, the mayor would do something about since the citizens would hang him in public square if he didn't. And if people were looting, they would be captured on video since it's hard to get away with anything over there. Then if there were scumbags out there shooting AK-47, either the police would shoot'em on site or the governor (either democrat or republican) would have the national guard be guns a blazin.

stringfelowhawk
09-08-2005, 12:15 AM
Guess the mayor realizes his political career is over. Can a mayor be impeached? He's begging for help from FEMA and everybody else and decides to send the civil servants on vacations? WTF is happening in my country? Is Bush sending all the soldiers in Iraq and Afghanastan on a paid vacation because of all the "stress and trauma" they have endured and will have to conitinue to endure for periods of a year at a time? Some of these people deserted their posts and in the military that can get you shot during a time of war. These people split for a week and come back like they've been there all along but are too "traumatized" to cope. I know that all civil servants didn't dip and hide but this just makes me want to stand on that motherfuckers throat and make him repeat it back to me one syllable at a time. And he had the brass to ask FEMA to pay for it? Then says the city would foot the bill? Where the fuck is this money coming from? Could you not use the money you intend to send these people on vacation with to evacuate some of the people you left behind? This man just jumped to second place on my personal shit list. I have NO respect for this individual. That article lends creedence to my belief they allowed New Orleans to get hit to prove its vulnerability after funding has been cut so much. I've said before I don't like Bush and believe his administration derserves some of the blame but the governor and the mayor were responsible for the primary response. This, along with the incompetence of the head of FEMA (who apperantly can't even manage a fucking horse show but don't need to since like the prez, he's got friends in the "good ole' boy"network), having firefighters attend sexual harrassment training in Atlanta in order to hand out FEMA flyers instead of allowing them to do what they do, and using them as props for a photo opportunity to try and squash the overwhelming fuckup this has become has made me disgusted and heartbroken. I have NEVER felt so disappointed in my government as I am right now. I truly don't see how we will make it out of this decade intact as a country the way we know it. The only good news for this administration is with Katrina and everyone so pissed about the response, it'll keep that piece of shit who leaked the CIA officers name outta jail and quite possibly kill the investigation altogether. You better believe that WILL be forgotten!

ELVIS
09-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Hmmm...

blueturk
09-08-2005, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

Hmm?

Damn good question. The "cops" who left and took their patrol cars with them may already be in Vegas...

Nitro Express
09-08-2005, 12:49 AM
I think the country is starting to come apart. I think hurricane Katrina and the way people behaved will only continue in other communities when the economic or other natural disasters hit the fan.

We as a country no longer work as a team and this is evident in everything. We have become a bunch of system players. More than half the workers in this country now work for the govt. directly or for a govt. contractor. We are running a huge trade deficite. Each year we produce less and less. The service industries? Automated or you talk to someone in Bombay. A record number of people are going to college right now. Most will come out with degrees that qualify them to play some sort of beurocratical system and actually add zero to the trade defficite. What we need more of is workers and innovators. We need more engineers and entreprenuers. We need more small business that will later grow into large successful corporations.

Corporate America right now is not ran by very good people. They are in the short-term buck for themselves. When there trouble, they blame someone else. The whole system in business and in the govt. works this way.

Katrina drives home to me that survival is more the individuals responsibility than ever before. Relying on your local, state, and federal govts for help might just be like shooting yourself in the head. We live in an imperfect world, you may die or get maimed no matter how hard you try to avoid it but some preparation and thinking will better your chances. The smart people got the hell out of the hurricane areas. Anyone living in New Orleans should have known they lived below sea level, surrounded by water in a hurricane zone. Locals also know they live in one of the highest crime areas in the country. So add these things up and see what you get. You get what actually happened.

All I know is with the magnetic flux of the earth changing it's polarization and the global warming. Huge hurricanes will be occuring more often, so will volcanic activity, and earthquakes. There will be more natural disassters. There have been more earthquakes and volcanic erruptions in the past decade than the previouse century. Disasters do happen. The main question I have is how are people reacting to them?

So far I've seen a shit load of blame. Politicians using situations to better themselves. The country becoming more divided and people thinking it's the govt's job to take care of everything instead of rolling up their sleaves and doing it themselves.

My advice to everyone is have some emergency food, water, medical and sanitation supplies on hand. Some emergency cash isn't a bad idea either. A trench shotgun with variouse loads. Slugs, 00 , BB, and dove shot for defense and hunting. I like trench shotguns because you can affix a bayonet for intimidation and crowd control. The bayonet is also a handy digging tool or can be used to pry things open with. I like to keep most my emergency stuff in my Kelty backpack. I use this on backpacking trips and it helps me assess what kind of condition things are in and what works and what doesn't. I also have a biological filtration pump and some iodine tablets. 72 hours worth of MRES for the family.

DrMaddVibe
09-08-2005, 07:28 AM
I can't give 5 more stars for that one.

Fuckin' true!