PDA

View Full Version : No Play For Good News?

DrMaddVibe
09-08-2005, 06:27 AM
U.S. Hostage Hallums Rescued After Being Held 10 Months in Iraq

Sept. 7 (Bloomberg) -- American contractor Roy Hallums was freed today by U.S.-led forces after more than 10 months in captivity, the military said. An Iraqi civilian was also freed.

The men were rescued at about 11:20 a.m. local time from an isolated farmhouse about 15 miles (25 kilometers) south of the capital, Baghdad, the U.S. Central Command said in a statement e- mailed from Baghdad.

``I want to thank all of those who were involved in my rescue -- those who continuously tracked my captors and location and those who physically brought me freedom today,'' the military quoted Hallums as saying. ``Both of us are in good health and look forward to returning to our respective families,'' he said.

Hallums, 57, was kidnapped at gunpoint Nov. 1 from the offices of his Saudi employer in the capital's Mansour district. He is in good condition and is receiving medical care, the military said. Details on the Iraqi are being withheld until his family and government are notified, according to the statement.

``Information provided by an Iraqi detainee in Coalition custody lead to the breakthrough,'' and the raid was planned and executed before Hallums could be moved to another location, the military said.

Hallums last appeared in a videotape aired by al-Jazeera Television in January, pleading at gunpoint for Arab rulers to intercede to spare his life.

A Web site run by Hallums' daughter carried the headline: ``Roy is free!!!!!!.'' He was the only American among six people abducted by about 20 armed individuals.

``We are all just really happy,'' Hallums' ex-wife, Susan Hallums, told CNN.