PDA

View Full Version : Which Floyd Rose should i get? Original or Schaller

Jahuli
09-09-2005, 05:21 AM
Which Floyd Rose should i get? Original or Schaller

i know eddie had schaller on his early frankies, but the originals definatley look better.

For Eddies tone which One? Also should i have it recessed or flat on top?

Mr Grimsdale
09-09-2005, 02:08 PM
I've got a recessed Schaller, works fine for me.

Actually that sounds quite rude.

ELVIS
09-09-2005, 02:51 PM
That's a first...

kentuckyklira
09-09-2005, 04:30 PM
You canīt go wrong with Schallers.

Yet, there was one series of original FRs, I have them on some of my Fernandes guitars, that are simply the best trems Iīve ever encountered. Like on this one! (http://www.guitarmaniacs.de/html/users/maxvalentino/maxvalentino-gitarre-fernandes4.shtml)

Jahuli
09-09-2005, 10:45 PM
Is there any difference between the locking nuts on either of them?
I ask this because the place im getting it, and a neck and a body from (WARMOTH) says they only set the neck up for schaller locking nuts, does this mean the two are different or what?

ELVIS
09-09-2005, 11:13 PM
Yes, they are entirely different...

No big deal, you can find the nut you need on ebay for fifteen bucks all day...

No worries...

Jahuli
09-10-2005, 01:18 AM
I'm still not sure-
You know how they cut two holes where the nut is? Well, Are there two different kinds of these holes for an Original Floyd Locking Nut and a Schaller Locking nut? Will a Original FLoyd Rose locking Nut fit in the two holes if they were drilled for a Schaller ?

Nitro Express
09-10-2005, 06:32 PM
The original Floyd Rose was actually made by Schaller. Helmut Schaller looked at Floyd Rose's original proptotype and told the president of Kramer Guitars who was helping Floyd to develop and distribute the his design, that it was a "piece of shit". Mr. Schaller was a German machinist who understood metalurgy. His company, Schaller, made all the original Floyd Rose bridges in Germany. Because they were done right with good metal, that's why they are still sought after today.

Floyd Rose being a smart businessman licensed his design out and collected the royalties. Sadly, many of the licensed Floyd's are shit. Anything made by Schaller is top notch quality, at least it was when Mr. Schaller ran things.

Panamark
09-10-2005, 06:37 PM
Nitro, what year did they license out the rights ??

Jahuli
09-11-2005, 02:24 AM
Panamarks Back!!!!

Don Corleone
09-11-2005, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by Jahuli
Which Floyd Rose should i get? Original or Schaller

i know eddie had schaller on his early frankies, but the originals definatley look better.

For Eddies tone which One? Also should i have it recessed or flat on top?

Over the years Ed's used both (both on the Frankie and the 5150). The stock EBMM EVH's were fitted with a Schaller, although on Ed's personal one's he fitted Gotoh's (I'm not sure what he used on the Wolfgangs). At the minute he seems to favour the original Floyd's again if the Charvels are anything to go by

For the EVH sound though you should go with trem reseting flat on the body, and not recessed.