PDA

View Full Version : Howard Dean's Remarks to the National Baptist Convention

FORD
09-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Excerpts of DNC Chairman Howard Dean's Remarks to the National Baptist Convention of America, Inc.

9/8/2005 5:43:00 PM

To: National Desk

Contact: Karen Finney of the Democratic National Committee Press Office, 202-863-8148

WASHINGTON, Sept. 8 /U.S. Newswire/ -- This afternoon, DNC Chairman Howard Dean addressed the National Baptist Convention of America, Inc. in Miami. Excerpts of his remarks, as prepared for delivery, are below:

"Last week, our nation faced a great tragedy when the worst natural disaster in the history of our country forever changed the lives of so many of our fellow Americans. In the aftermath of this tragedy, we are called to come together as one community. Our prayers and our thanks go out to all who have been working so tirelessly on the relief and recovery efforts. I know the National Baptist Convention has joined many of the millions of faithful in America to come to the aid of citizens in need. I want to commend Dr. Thurston and the NBCA membership for your leadership. This is a critical moment in our nation's history and we have a shared responsibility to move our country forward and learn from the mistakes made and be truthful with ourselves about how and why this happened and what we must do going forward to rebuild America. Because we will ultimately be judged by how we react in times of trouble and how we care for the least among us. I want to talk to you not as the Chairman of the Democratic Party, but as an American.

Last week, we witnessed tremendous acts of courage and heroism, of people coming together, opening their hearts to one another trying to reach out and help one another. That was America at its best.

But that's not all we saw. We saw people desperately trying to survive in conditions we could not imagine in an American city. As survivors are evacuated, order is restored, the water slowly begins to recede, and we sort through the rubble, we must also begin to come to terms with the ugly truth that skin color, age and economics played a deadly role in who survived and who did not.

And the question that emerged: how can this happen in America? The truth is, what we saw on the television in New Orleans exists here in Miami, and in every part of our country, every day. Because people are poor throughout our country. They are old. They are young. They are black, white, and brown. They are not refugees. They are our fellow Americans. The truth is that we have ignored the poor for far too long. And until it washed right up on our front doorsteps, we might have continued to ignore the reality that poverty has too many of our fellow Americans in its grip, and we have a shared moral responsibility not to ignore it anymore. According to the census numbers that were released just last week, there were 37 million people living in poverty in 2004, about 3.5 million of these were over the age of 65 and nearly 1 in 5 American Children Lived in Poverty During 2004. And nearly 25 percent of all African Americans lived in poverty in 2004. We need to open our eyes in our own communities. We need a plan to rebuild America. Because it is not enough for one of us to do well, because our fundamental value of community means that we owe something to one another, every day of every year -- and that unless we all have the opportunity to succeed none of us succeeds.

Together we will rebuild America.

Because it is not enough for just me and my family to do well. It is not enough if some of our children are loved and well-fed. It is not enough if some of our communities are vibrant, safe and clean. It is not good enough if aspiration is the province only of the wealthy.

The greatest test we now face as a nation moving forward is not to forget what we saw last week on television, and to act. We need a plan to rebuild America. We need to restore accountability. We need to make moral choices. How could Senate Republican Leader Bill Frist even think of extending the estate tax? If there's $750 billion available, we should use that to rebuild America. This is a time for leadership not partisanship, and there are numerous questions regarding the failures that we will need to be answered in the coming days and weeks, but the one I want to talk about now is where do we go from here? How do we rebuild America?

We will continue to press for answers to what failed and why, to help the survivors heal, to rebuild, to heed the lessons of the past week and take the steps to keep our citizens safe.

And we will continue to fight for our shared values, taking care of the weak and the poor, helping people succeed, making sure every American has health care, an economic policy that creates jobs, making it easier for people to take care of their families, a strong national defense, protecting our most basic rights, ensuring that every eligible American has the opportunity to exercise their right to vote. We still have a great deal of work to do in this country to ensure social and economic justice for every American, particularly those who struggle in the shadows of poverty. We cannot afford to move backward. We need to be a community again. There are real differences between the direction our country has been going in over the past five years, and the direction we ought to be headed. That is what we are fighting for. Because we believe America can do better and Americans deserve better from their leaders. We deserve leaders who get up every day and fight for each one of us, who see us and understand our struggles but who also work to make each one of us stronger thereby making all of us stronger. Not because we are wealthy or important or because we gave a contribution to a campaign; because we are hard-working Americans who need our President to be on our side."
------------------------------------------------------------
A Snapshot of Poverty In the United States Based on Figures From the Census Bureau

Number of People Living in Poverty Increased by 1.1 Million in 2004.

Approximately 1.1 million people fell out of the middle class into poverty in 2004, an increase of 5.4 million people living in poverty since Bush took office in 2001.

The poverty rate has increased from 12.5 to 12.7 percent over the past year, increasing for the fourth consecutive year. (U.S. Census Bureau, 8/30/05; Table B-1)

Nearly 1 in 5 American Children Lived in Poverty During 2004. 13 million children lived in poverty in 2004, an increase of about 1.4 million since the beginning of the Bush Administration. This comes on the heels of a 730,000 increase in the number of children living in poverty in 2003. (U.S. Census Bureau, 8/30/05; Table B-2 )

Disproportionately High Number of African Americans and Latinos Live in Poverty. Nearly 25 percent of all African Americans (9 million) lived in poverty in 2004, an increase of over 250,000 over the past two years.

Nearly 22 percent (9.1 million) of Latinos lived in poverty, an increase of almost 500,000 over the past two years. (U.S. Census Bureau, 8/30/05; Table 3)

1.9 Million More Americans Enrolled in Medicaid in 2004. As 1.1 million Americans dropped out of the middle class and into poverty in 2004, the enrollment rate in Medicaid increased from 12.4 percent of the population in 2003 to 12.9 percent in 2004. Without the safety net of Medicaid and SCHIP for people who dropped into poverty, the health insurance numbers would be even worse. (U.S. Census Bureau, 8/30/05, page 16 )

Paid for and authorized by the Democratic National Committee, http://www.democrats.org. This communication is not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

http://www.usnewswire.com/

-0-

/© 2005 U.S. Newswire 202-347-2770/

BigBadBrian
09-09-2005, 01:01 PM
http://www.strangepolitics.com/images/content/110035.jpg

ELVIS
09-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by FORD
we must also begin to come to terms with the ugly truth that skin color, age and economics played a deadly role in who survived and who did not.

Oh bullshit! Approximately 80% of the greater new Orleans area is black, and approximately 80% of the people who evacuated on their own were black...

Disproportionately High Number of African Americans and Latinos Live in Poverty. Nearly 25 percent of all African Americans (9 million) lived in poverty in 2004, an increase of over 250,000 over the past two years.

Yeah ?? Who's fucking fault is that ??

Not any government or administration...

Howard Dean is a big government racist who is trying to politicise a hurricane...

:elvis:

Nitro Express
09-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Howard Dean not long ago was bashing the Christian religions such as the Baptists. Blaming churches for being prejudice and such. Now he's praising them. This guy is chasing his own tail.

I've heard this poverty rehtoric my whole like. Charles Barkley the former NBA basketball star hit the nail on the head. He said he grew up in an area where the Democrats would constantly tell the people they were going to bring posperity to the people. He said he went back 20 years later, the people were still poor and the Democrats had done nothing. He said he was thinking about being a Republican and the people in horror said,"Charles, that party is for rich people!" Charles responded,"I'm rich." Barkley was making the point nobody digs you out of a hole but yourself.

I think both the Democrat and Republican parties suck. They both take the special intrest money, they both do the same thing. They both are sellouts for big business. Then they blame the other one when nothing gets done.

ELVIS
09-09-2005, 01:13 PM
GRATE post!

:elvis:

ELVIS
09-09-2005, 01:21 PM
We need a plan to rebuild America. Because it is not enough for one of us to do well, because our fundamental value of community means that we owe something to one another, every day of every year -- and that unless we all have the opportunity to succeed none of us succeeds.

Man this is such bullshit!!

The opportunity to succeed in America is just as alive as it ever was, probably more so!

I do not owe a fucking thing to anyone who will not get up off their ass and do something for his or herself!

Total bullshit...

FORD
09-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Man this is such bullshit!!

The opportunity to succeed in America is just as alive as it ever was, probably more so!

I do not owe a fucking thing to anyone who will not get up off their ass and do something for his or herself!

Total bullshit...

I guess you miss the point of Dean's speech?

This is a critical moment in our nation's history and we have a shared responsibility to move our country forward and learn from the mistakes made and be truthful with ourselves about how and why this happened and what we must do going forward to rebuild America. Because we will ultimately be judged by how we react in times of trouble and how we care for the least among us.

Does that last part sound remotely familiar to you at all?

ELVIS
09-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Yeah, but Dean is taking the opportunity to go way beyond that...

I'm all for helping others and being part of a community, but people have to individually take it upon themselves to be active...

There is not a federal program in the world that will spark a human being's mind to be motivated...

Alot of poor people will always be poor by choice...

Nitro Express
09-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Oh, we all can be equal, equally poor. It's called Communism. I got a good taste of it while visiting the USSR in 1978 and Communist China in 1980. Capatalism is a ruthless game but at least you have the freedom to take a shot at exceeding at something. The old Communist system rules and regulates you to death.

I will never forget buying some items in the GUM department store in Moscow. I grabbed a bunch of stuff and wanted to know where the register was. I turns out for each item, I first had to stand in line to get permission to buy it, then I had to stand in line to get a special approval reciept, then I had to stand in line to exchange my rubles for the good. This stupid system was the creation of a Marxist govt. that created jobs for everyone. Jobs that allowed most people to live in shitty govt. housing, while the party govt. officials, had western credit cards, Swiss bank accounts, and nice homes and cars. Like the dying asshole in Enemy at the Gates said,"We tried to be equal but we will never be equal, in talents, love, and such." Yup, someone is always going to be able to paint, or play an insturment better. Someone is going to get the better pieces of ass to fuck. Someone is going to be a better athelete.

Capatalism is hard as hell and sometimes ruthless. But at least you have a chance to be the best you can be without the govt. deciding that for you.

Fuck the Democrats and their big govt. regulations and plans. It all seems nice up front but giving the govt. that kind of power is foolish. Plus, who's getting things done and who was there first in New Orleans? Volunteers my friend. Who got in their way and fucked things up. The govt. Show me one thing bull of tax sucking buerocrats that runs efficiently. As far as the Republicans go, they have become Democrats themselves. They like big govt. too. Wake up, Howard Dean and his party is one of the same.

ELVIS
09-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Very insightful...

FORD
09-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Yeah, if repeating hate radio scripts can be called "insight"

ELVIS
09-09-2005, 01:52 PM
What are you talking about ??

:confused:

FORD
09-09-2005, 02:09 PM
I'm talking about this same old tired fucking bullshit about "big government democrats".

Here's the undeniable fact: FEMA functioned well under the so called "Big government" Democrats. It FUCKED UP ENTIRELY under the BIGGER government Bush Criminal Empire.

ELVIS
09-09-2005, 02:11 PM
I don't know about that...

diamondD
09-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Howard Dean not long ago was bashing the Christian religions such as the Baptists. Blaming churches for being prejudice and such. Now he's praising them. This guy is chasing his own tail.

I've heard this poverty rehtoric my whole like. Charles Barkley the former NBA basketball star hit the nail on the head. He said he grew up in an area where the Democrats would constantly tell the people they were going to bring posperity to the people. He said he went back 20 years later, the people were still poor and the Democrats had done nothing. He said he was thinking about being a Republican and the people in horror said,"Charles, that party is for rich people!" Charles responded,"I'm rich." Barkley was making the point nobody digs you out of a hole but yourself.

I think both the Democrat and Republican parties suck. They both take the special intrest money, they both do the same thing. They both are sellouts for big business. Then they blame the other one when nothing gets done.

Good post! :cool:

diamondD
09-09-2005, 04:04 PM
Reminds me of something Bill Maher (sp?) said. The Democrats get into office and just sit around doing nothing, so they get thrown out. The Republicans get in and say "Quick! Get as much done as possible before they throw us out!"

Nitro Express
09-09-2005, 05:57 PM
Yeah, but I also bashed the Republicans. the Democrats and Republicans are both like Heat Miiser and Snow Miser, constantly fighting and accomplishing nothing. Hell, it took Mrs. Claus and Mother Nature to break the stalemate.

Ford, I've read your colorful posts and you hate big govt. just like me. You fear govt. corruption. For you, it's the evil Republicans. For me, it's the evil Republicans and Democrats. Both are proffessional politicians and sure they blame each other but they both take the same special intrest money. Both are bought and paid for by the pharmacutical lobby and such.

What we need my friend is the third party. I know plenty of good Democrats and Republicans. Distill down what the good people want and it's the same thing. Really. Hell, was there really that much difference between Jimmy Carter and Gerald Ford? Many Democrats really legitimately care for people. Many Republicans do to. If you look, both are not happy with their parties and are looking for somewhere else to go. We need a third party or the country will be one big stinking stalemate.

DrMaddVibe
09-09-2005, 07:20 PM
http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/multimedia/dean_crazy_train.mp3

FORD
09-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Yeah, but I also bashed the Republicans. the Democrats and Republicans are both like Heat Miiser and Snow Miser, constantly fighting and accomplishing nothing. Hell, it took Mrs. Claus and Mother Nature to break the stalemate.

Who would have thought the Miser Brothers would get props in September?
http://foment.net/hipmama/suess/Heat%20Miser1.jpghttp://www.snowcrest.net/cafemocha/images/Snow%20Miser.jpg

Ford, I've read your colorful posts and you hate big govt. just like me. You fear govt. corruption. For you, it's the evil Republicans. For me, it's the evil Republicans and Democrats.

No, I believe in evil "Democrats" as well. They're called the DLC.

Both are proffessional politicians and sure they blame each other but they both take the same special intrest money. Both are bought and paid for by the pharmacutical lobby and such.

What we need my friend is the third party. I know plenty of good Democrats and Republicans. Distill down what the good people want and it's the same thing. Really. Hell, was there really that much difference between Jimmy Carter and Gerald Ford? Many Democrats really legitimately care for people. Many Republicans do to. If you look, both are not happy with their parties and are looking for somewhere else to go. We need a third party or the country will be one big stinking stalemate.

This is why Howard Dean's message resonates with me. He opposes the corporate ass kissing of the DLC, which is why they shot down his Presidential campaign and why they fought like Hell to keep him out of the DNC (but the people won the second battle)

As for Gerald Ford, I'm not sure whether he was harmless or just not there long enough to do anything. Actually, with Poppy directing his CIA, Rummy as defense Secretary and Cheney, Wolfie, etc also involved, his cabinet DID do a lot of harm, even in their short stay, by exaggerating the Soviet threat just as they have the "terraist" threat more recently. Had we known the Soviet Union was mortally wounded (financially speaking) in 1976, then President Carter could have had the post Cold War economy and we might not have had to put up with Reagan at all. And if there was never a Reagan, there wouldn't have been a Poppy. And without President Poppy, there definitely wouldn't have been a Bush Jr.

If Howard Dean were to have started a third party last year, which he had every right to do after the primaries, I would have joined that party without question. Instead, we (DFA and other progressive Democrats) decided to give the Democratic party one more shot. If the party doesn't start moving in the proper direction, I'm gone. But I'd rather ressurect a once great party than completely start over and have to wait decades to benefit from the results.

ELVIS
09-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Howard dean will do nothing that any democrat has not already done...

Which is nothing...

I would be willing to bet he's more honest than Clinton, but that's not saying much...

FORD
09-09-2005, 09:00 PM
How many of your neighbors died because Bill Clinton lied about a blowjob?

DrMaddVibe
09-09-2005, 09:02 PM
Revenge?

Let it go Ford. The poison is rotting your heart and brain!

FORD
09-09-2005, 09:04 PM
I'm not the one who's believing the poison.

ELVIS
09-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Yes you are...

Clinton was a likable guy...

He could sell broken used cars in his sleep...

That coolaid he sold you was some powerful shit...:D

Seshmeister
09-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Ford, I've read your colorful posts and you hate big govt. just like me. You fear govt. corruption. For you, it's the evil Republicans. For me, it's the evil Republicans and Democrats. Both are proffessional politicians and sure they blame each other but they both take the same special intrest money. Both are bought and paid for by the pharmacutical lobby and such.

Absolutely!

The left are always prone to the evils of shit bureaucracy, the right to the interests of the rich.

In the case of New Orleans it looks as though they both totally fucked up.

By playing one side off against the other as usual the people with power hope to fight to an aimless draw whereby nothing changes and none of them gets any significant shit.

Cathedral
09-09-2005, 11:14 PM

If Howard Dean were to have started a third party last year, which he had every right to do after the primaries, I would have joined that party without question.

This i found troubling, Ford!
Without question?
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

The fact that Dean made his speech about race and accuses Bush of things he has no proof of...That is not American if people are guilty before proven innocent.

I could actually agree with some of Deans points until he took it to a place he has no verifiable facts as of yet to be waging such an accusation.

He was just trying to build some capital with the blacks and erase some of his racial stumbles of the last couple of years with that shit, and we all know it.
All he did was take Kanye West's lead and tried to earn him some brownie points. (no pun intended of course)

FORD
09-10-2005, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
This i found troubling, Ford!
Without question?
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Nothing "sheeplike" about it. I quit the Democratic party in early 2003 because the DLC traitors in the party refused to take a stand against the BCE, and voted to enable Dipshit's war resolution. And that was before he even invaded Iraq and proved me right about what an unprecedented disaster it would be, and based on totally NO rational purpose. No Democrat should have ever voted for that. Or the Patriot Act, for that matter.

I was disgusted with the party I had joined at the age of 14, and rightfully so. Then I heard Howard Dean. He "got it". He recognized what it was that made the Democratic party great. The party of the common man. Not the white man or the black man. Not the liberal west coast or the rural south. But just common people. The real Americans, those of us who work for a living all over this country. This is the base of the Democratic party. Not corporations. And that it was time to take our party and our country back.

I still believe it's possible to do both. It's mandatory for the survival for the country that we at least do the latter.

Nitro Express
09-10-2005, 03:34 AM
I love the Heat and Snow Miser pictures Ford. Yup, there's are current political situation in a nutshell. I'm just trying to figure out how Howard Dean fits into the Year Without a Santa Clause script now. The chimp Bush obviousely is the dumb ass dog catcher. I know, Howard Dean is the wild ass mayor of Southtown USA.

FORD
09-10-2005, 03:53 AM
I know, Howard Dean is the wild ass mayor of Southtown USA.

Snowing in Southtown?? YEEEEEEEEAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!