PDA

View Full Version : Ocala homeowners association says evacuees are not welcome

BigBadBrian
09-09-2005, 08:14 PM
OCALA - Tammy Coggins returned to her Majestic Oaks home after a weekend in Atlanta and found the welcome mat pulled out from under her good intentions.

While communities throughout the Sunshine State and elsewhere are welcoming Hurricane Katrina's storm-weary survivors, Coggins and others in the 500-home southwest Ocala subdivision were told by their homeowners association that their deed restrictions prohibited them from doing the same.

A flier, distributed by the Majestic Oaks homeowners association on Saturday, said that rather than allowing "additional families" in the community, residents were encouraged to contribute to hurricane relief funds.

"I came from a city that opened its arms to 50,000 refugees," Coggins said. "I was shocked and angered when I came home to find this."

She was not alone.
On Tuesday, during an often contentious meeting, more than 60 residents packed the community room at Freedom Library to express their dismay over what many termed a "disgraceful" and "embarrassing" response to mounting efforts to help hurricane victims. At one point, board member Christine Beers - teary-eyed and visibly distraught - stood and apologized to the crowd saying, "I, for one, am very sorry."

Though the full board followed suit and unanimously apologized for what Lou Colainni called a "knee-jerk reaction" and what Bob Walsh said was "jumping the gun," the effect of the homeowners association's warning remains in force.

Across the nation, tens of thousands have offered their homes as temporary shelter for those displaced by Katrina. Placement is made via Internet registries such as HurricaneHousing.org, HomeFlood.org and Craig's List where everything from a spare sofa to luxury condominiums are available to victims, often free or for a nominal charge.

The notice was sent after the board learned that a homeowner planned to shelter three families evacuated from New Orleans. Vice President Audrey Andrews said the board's action was "blown out of proportion" and that she apologized only for it gaining news media attention.

"I think our intent was correct," she said. "It's a neighborhood problem (but) it got out . . . If a letter of apology will help, fine."

Andrews said the board was merely enforcing restrictions approved by homeowners as recently as last year.

But Bryce Mercier, both a Majestic Oaks resident and superintendent for the development's builder, Triple Crown Homes, said: "We didn't know the covenants would mean we couldn't help people."

"Yes, we're here to help people," Mercier said. "We're here to be Americans ... and charity begins at home."

Georgia Ann Bolla said she went "ballistic" when she got the notice. Bolla and her husband, Alfred Bolla, the former president of the Texas AFL-CIO, moved to Majestic Oaks last November.

"I'm proud of what Texas is doing for the refugees, we know what hospitality is," she said. "I'm totally ashamed to live in Majestic Oaks, I'm ready to move. We have a wonderful community, but this is a disgrace."

Though he feels "damn bad" about the uproar, homeowners association President Bob Watson said the board has a legal responsibility to enforce the deed restrictions, plain and simple.

"They're talking about their feelings, not using common sense," he said. "We feel bad about it, very upset about it ... There's no real solution."

Watson said that even under the unprecedented circumstances, the community's restrictions could not be ignored, especially if the evacuees are still sheltered months down the road.

Bypassing the by-laws could invite lawsuits, he said adding, "How am I going to explain that to the judge?"

Mark Bogen, executive director of the Florida Community Association Coalition, said that while such restrictions are routinely upheld in court, boards "can decide to not enforce those restrictions under unusual circumstances."

"It's definitely a tough situation," he said. "Probably the best idea, one that works in smaller communities of 50 or 100 homes, is to go around and get everyone to sign off on it."

While many other communities share similar deed restrictions as Majestic Oaks, several say they are willing to work with their residents interested in sheltering refugees.

OCALA - As some organizations seek to coordinate temporary homes for people devastated by Hurricane Katrina, the Majestic Oaks Homeowners Association is reminding its residents the evacuees aren't welcome in that community.

The association delivered notices to its 500-plus homes Saturday advising homeowners "that our covenants and by-laws prohibit additional families in family homes."

Audrey Andrews, vice president of the board, said Monday they encourage residents to make donations or charitable contributions to aid victims of Hurricane Katrina. But, she added, the board thought it needed to ward off any sudden influx of evacuees.

"These are single-family residences, and that's what they were intended for," Andrews said Monday.

Andrews did add that association residents can bring in evacuees who are family members.

Association board members began discussing the situation after word got to them that a minister in the community had traveled to New Orleans to bring back three families of evacuees, said association President Bob Watson. Watson said Monday that, even in the trying times following Hurricane Katrina, the covenants could not be bypassed. That could bring on lawsuits from other residents, especially if the evacuees are still being housed three or four months down the road.

"How am I going to explain that to the judge?" Watson said.

Watson said it wasn't clear who the minister is and that he had not been able to contact him to warn him not to bring back evacuees.

At least one area church, Blessed Trinity Catholic Church in Ocala, is asking parishioners to consider taking a family in.

Andrews said many residents welcomed the reminder but some were upset by the notice.

One resident, Nancy Fisher, said she took in evacuees from the hurricanes that hit Florida last year. She didn't feel the by-laws should apply to the community during the current crisis in the Gulf Coast.

"You shouldn't be asked to deny evacuees a place to stay just because you have a nice home," Fisher said.

Majestic Oaks is just outside Ocala off SW 60th Avenue and is a community of mostly block houses. This isn't the first controversy about possible violations of deed restrictions in the community.

In 1996, the association took a homeowner to court to make him remove a flag pole and the American flag from his yard.

Link (http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050907/LOCAL/209070310/1078/news)

Phil theStalker
09-09-2005, 08:27 PM
I see more stupid people who know they're in an association, but they cun't read their deeds. These people probably used a Realtor and not an attorney. The problems of common, stupid people. Those people need as much help as any disaster relief people need help. Hard to feel sorry f4or them.

:spank:

Kelly_Clark
09-09-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

Watson said that even under the unprecedented circumstances, the community's restrictions could not be ignored, especially if the evacuees are still sheltered months down the road.

Link (http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050907/LOCAL/209070310/1078/news)

I think this is an important point... that is being overlooked by a lot of people wanting to help...but not knowing what they are getting into.

The article did state they are encouraging people to donate to the relief funds. I think its important to understand that the Katrina victims need permanent (or at least long term) solutions...not a temporary bed and breakfast.

FORD
09-09-2005, 09:35 PM
That homeowner's association has been useless since Morty Seinfeld lost the election :(

ELVIS
09-09-2005, 09:37 PM
What, no BCE in that post ??

FORD
09-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
What, no BCE in that post ??

Well, the election might have been on Diebold machines. I honestly don't remember. Since it WAS in Florida, it's possible ;)

ELVIS
09-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Oh brother...:)

BITEYOASS
09-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by FORD
That homeowner's association has been useless since Morty Seinfeld lost the election :(

That reminds me of a story in the San Diego Tribune in which a homeowners association there told this widow to get rid of her rose garden because of the fear of lawsuits, and this lady had cancer at the time. The sad part was that she died a couple months later. :(

Phil theStalker
09-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
That reminds me of a story in the San Diego Tribune in which a homeowners association there told this widow to get rid of her rose garden because of the fear of lawsuits, and this lady had cancer at the time. The sad part was that she died a couple months later. :(
First of all, who didn't read that old lady's deed before she moved int2o HOME OWNERS ASSOCIATION HELL?! huh

Listen people!

We aint' living in PARADISE!

Stop crying and fight back and survive.

Nitro Express
09-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Same old story. Watch Titanic and you see it. The rich people hide behind their security and covenants, the poor are scooted off somewhere else. When shit comes, guess who gets the life boats? The only difference is the people in steerage weren't black, they were white but they didn't have as much money as the people in first class.

It's the same story. Been going on for milleniums.

Cathedral
09-11-2005, 03:39 AM
Association Hell is exactly right.
A bunch of legal minded fuckers sitting at a big FREE table twice a week playing God over their little units.

It's quite a display.

Nitro Express
09-11-2005, 05:01 AM
Tell me about it, we used to live in a subdivision and the home owner's association was full of little Napoleans. There was always a battle over something. It really boiled down to some narcs had managed to buy a little chicklet of land in a "controlled community" and they wanted to show the rest of the world they were in control. It's basically the same thing you see with kids fighting over the toys in the sandbox.

I got so fucking fed up with that shit, I bought sevral acres where the nieghbors are few and far between. Much better!

stringfelowhawk
09-11-2005, 06:12 PM
I live in an association in Va Bch. I read all my notes and by-laws. I am about to deploy. I have to say, some of the most mundane B.S. that ever put me to sleep. I can fly an American Flag but I can't fly it on a pole. I have to use a garage extension pole. I can't own a "vicious" breed of dog. I find that to be a little discrimanatory since any breed can be "vicious". Growing up I had a German Shepard, a full breed Rottweiler, a Doberman, and a Pit Bull. I've had several "mutts" as well. Right now I have a 3/4 Shiba Inu and 1/4 Chow and none of them were ever "vicious". They were protective to be sure, but none EVER attacked anyone. If you're on my property without my permission that makes you fair game but none ever got loose and chased people down the street. I've been bitten twice. Both were dogs that strayed into my yard. None were mean or aggressive. Some dogs are "ill-tempered" because of breeding but I've yet to meet a breed that was just mean. I think there nature is determined by how they are treated regarless of breed.
My bylaws have the same stipulation regarding the "single family" domicile rule. Sometimes they can be a bitch, but legally they would be sued for violating it and that is that.

Phil theStalker
09-12-2005, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by stringfelowhawk
My bylaws have the same stipulation regarding the "single family" domicile rule. Sometimes they can be a bitch, but legally they would be sued for violating it and that is that.
Pure fucking freedom, ain't it.

daone
09-12-2005, 02:54 PM
Actually, yes. That is freedom. It is the freedom to live in a community where the members have chosen to limit its residents to single family domiciles to protect what they feel is the peace, quiet and sanctity of the neighborhood.

Phil theStalker
09-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by daone
Actually, yes. That is freedom. It is the freedom to live in a community where the members have chosen to limit its residents to single family domiciles to protect what they feel is the peace, quiet and sanctity of the neighborhood. I knew when I wrote that it could be taken two ways and, yes, you are the moron who had to show how intelligent you are about Tory government freedom.

Go away Tory.

Like back to Britian and your definition of freedom behind the gates.

I'll bet you could be a REALTOR.

daone
09-12-2005, 03:05 PM
I can be anything... its America and I have that freedom!

And, I have the freedom to live in a community that houses two or three families in a three bedroom trailer... or in a community that says you may not park shit cars in front of your house...you have to keep your grass mowed... you can/can't have pets... whatever. The purpose of the bylaws is to prevent fighting, not start it.

And yes, you have the right to be a bitter old man!

Phil theStalker
09-12-2005, 03:12 PM

And, I have the freedom to live in a community that houses two or three families in a three bedroom trailer... or in a community that says you may not park shit cars in front of your house...you have to keep your grass mowed... you can/can't have pets... whatever. The purpose of the bylaws is to prevent fighting, not start it.

Thanks, lms2.

Is this another o1ne aff yoor aliASSES, hmmm mamama hmmm?

daone
09-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Surely lms2 is not the only one to call you a bitter old man?

Phil theStalker
09-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Surely lms2 is not the only one to call you a bitter old man? Nope she, er, YOU are the only o1ne.

Nickdfresh
09-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Surely lms2 is not the only one to call you a bitter old man?

Why does your bio say you're 35 Linda? you mental case you.;)

daone
09-12-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
I cant believe these attention whoring cunts are STILL doing this shit.........what's worse is EVERYONE jumping in and GIVING them that attention...........YAWN.

Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
This really should be the second post in ALL these "look at me, pay attention to me" threads

daone
09-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Whether I am 35 or 50, lms2, daone, or even Katydid... none of that changes the fact that there are certain freedoms people in this country enjoy.

Private Golf Clubs vs. Public Golf Courses

Boy Scouts of America being for boys.

Landlords making rules for their tenants.

And, homeowners associations making rules for people who CHOOSE to join that association.

BigBadBrian
09-12-2005, 08:12 PM

Fuck that.

I will not subject myself to the whims of the wife of the President of the Homeowner's Association whenever the cunt has PMS and she feels my bushes need to be trimmed or my lawn is too tall.

I have a friend who is in an association and he can't even paint his house the SAME color it is right now. The cunt president want's a new palette of colors for the neighborhood.

Fuck that kind of bullshit.

:gulp:

daone
09-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Well Brian... I don't belong to a homeowners association, and for just that sort of reason.

Have you tried getting other homeowners together to overthrow the dictatorship?

Don't you guys have to vote on new bylaws before they become laws?

Would you take a great loss on the property if you were to sell it and move somewhere that is not associated?

FORD
09-12-2005, 08:20 PM
I thought you shelved your aliases once your "lms2" name was reactivated?

Katydid
09-12-2005, 08:36 PM
Face it, the world is full of rules and regulations. Luckily I live in a place where there is a gravel road behind my house, that one neighbor held out for the city to pave (They had a block grant for that purpose). He said it would make our taxes go higher. SO they only filled in the mud holes.

I don't associate with my neighbors for that purpose. They are older and all they have to do is bitch and gripe about something.

I paid for the road to be graveled 3 or 4 times, they call it "Katie's road." I got mad finally and had the county to put in a culvert, because the one in there was stopped up and water sat in the corner of my yard. But the mayor's brother told them not to replace the whole thing...so they put a tin one half across the road, and left the old one that was stopped up on his side...so didn't help a bit. He didn't want the water turned onto him, it was stopped up on purpose. Bunch on NC tarheels...have their own little clicks and ways of doing things...County tried to charge me $200. and I told them I would just turn it into the state...They said, "Oh, just forget it...." Like Duke Power going around charging people whatever they think they can get out of them to cut branches off their electic lines...Bunch of crooks...

Don't get me started...

And for the record I think Lms2, myself and a few others are damn good people. So anyone who thinks different can kiss our ass...