PDA

View Full Version : Mayor Nagin buys new home...in Dallas

BigBadBrian
09-10-2005, 07:55 PM
Mayor Nagin speaks out

By Gordon Russell
Staff writer
In a stark reminder of how drastically Hurricane Katrina has impacted the lives of New Orleanians, Mayor Ray Nagin has purchased a home for his family in Dallas and enrolled his young daughter in school there.
Nagin, who spoke with The Times-Picayune by telephone from Dallas, where he has been since Wednesday, said he planned to return to New Orleans on Saturday. He said he will remain in the Crescent City while his family lives for the next six months in Dallas, making occasional visits to his family when possible.
It’s not clear where Nagin will be living: His home along Bayou St. John suffered massive flooding, the mayor said, although he has not inspected it.
In a brief but wide-ranging interview, the mayor reflected on the tragedies of the past two weeks, acknowledging that he may have made some mistakes but said that he hopes others in positions of authority – including President George W. Bush and Gov. Kathleen Blanco -- are scrutinized as closely as he and his staff have been.
“I’m not pointing any fingers at anyone,” Nagin said. “But I was in the fire. I was down there. Where were they? I’m confident the truth is gonna come out. But I want everybody’s record analyzed just as hard as mine.
“Listen, this was unprecedented. Nothing has ever happened like this. For people to sit back and say, ‘You should have done this, you should have done that’ … it’s Monday morning quarterbacking. They can shoot if they want, but I was there, and I will have the facts.”
Nagin’s biggest frustration, and his biggest source of puzzlement, is the slow pace with which relief arrived. He said state and federal officials made repeated promises that weren’t kept.
“This is ridiculous,” he said. “I mean, this is America. How can we have a state with an $18 billion budget and a federal government with an I don’t know how many trillion dollar budget, and they can’t get a few thousand people onto buses? I don’t get that.
“All I saw was a huge two-step, if you will, between the federal government and the state as far as who had the final authority. Promises made that weren’t really kept. It was frustrating. We’d analyze things, double-check them, and then, later in the afternoon, we’d find out that someone was changing the plan, moving resources around.”
Some officials at the state and federal level have suggested that part of the reason for the slow response was a lack of awareness about the level of devastation the city had suffered. They have faulted city officials for not sending out a stronger SOS.
While Nagin has previously said he didn’t think the slow response was related to the demographic of the overwhelmingly poor, African-American crowd that needed rescuing, his thinking has evolved.
“Definitely class, and the more I think about it, definitely race played into this,” he said. “How do you treat people that just want to walk across the bridge and get out, and they’re turned away, because you can’t come to a certain parish? How do resources get stacked up outside the city of New Orleans and they don’t make their way in? How do you not bring one piece of ice?
“If it’s race, fine, let’s call a spade a spade, a diamond a diamond. We can never let this happen again. Even if you hate black people and you are in a leadership position, this did not help anybody.”
As hearings on the Katrina response start to crank up in Washington, Nagin said, those questions, among others, need to be asked.
“ I think the government ought to be asking itself, ‘What happened to the resources?
Why were people promised resources and they didn’t show up? Where were the military resources? Where was the National Guard? Why were we left with a city on the verge of collapse, fighting for the soul of the city, with 200 National Guardsmen and 1,200 police?
“It was a serious breakdown,” the mayor continued. “Make sure that whether it’s Ray Nagin or the governor or the president, we take a serious look at this and make the changes that need to be made. I’m afraid some of this was a tug-of-war about who gets to spend the money at the end of the day. And I don’t appreciate that.
“I saw too many people die, and a lot of people didn’t see any of that. They had a press conference and left. I’m looking up, fighting this incredible battle, and they’re doing press conferences and lying to the people. They’re telling them 40,000 troops are in New Orleans. It was all bull.”
“Analyze my ass, analyze everyone’s ass, man. Let’s put the facts on the table and talk turkey. Why was there a breakdown at the federal and state level only in Louisiana? This didn’t happen in Mississippi. That’s the question. That’s the question of the day.”
Nagin acknowledged that the city’s communications essentially shut down, but said that state and federal officials were likewise at a loss. Within a few days, city officials, including chief technology officer Greg Meffert, aided by outside volunteers, including a crew from Unisys, were able to patch together a rough network.
“All communications broke down,” Nagin said. “I got cell phones from as high up as the White House that didn’t work. My Blackberry pin-to-pin was the only thing that worked. I saw the military struggle with this, too. No one had communications worth a damn.”
Even if communications were challenging, Nagin noted that officials from the Federal Emergency Management Agency were up in helicopters inspecting the damage from the storm within about 24 hours after it passed. So the message should have been clear, he said: Send in the cavalry.
“I think they realized the magnitude of what was happening,” he said.
Federal officials have also faulted Nagin’s administration for not marshaling its own buses and those of the School Board to start ferrying the tens of thousands of evacuees stranded at the Superdome and the Convention Center out of town.
Nagin said perhaps some of the criticism is fair. But he said there were various logistical hurdles that made it hard to use that equipment, and the buses would have hardly created a dent in the size of the crowds anyway.
“It’s up for analysis,” he said. “But we didn’t have enough buses. I don’t control the school buses, and the RTA (Regional Transit Authority) buses as far as I know were positioned high and dry. But 80 percent of the city was not high and dry. Where would we have staged them? And who was going to drive them even if we commandeered them? If I’d have marshaled 50 RTA buses, and a few school buses, it still wouldn’t have been nearly enough. We didn’t get food, water and ice in this place, and that’s way above the local level.
“Our plan was always to use the buses to evacuate to the Dome as a shelter of last resort, and from there, rely on state and federal resources.”
Those resources took way too long to arrive, Nagin said – in fact, much of the help didn’t arrive until after the mass evacuations from the Dome and the Convention Center had occurred. As a result, people suffered and died needlessly, a truth that has been weighing heavily on his mind.
“I saw stuff that I never thought I would see in my lifetime,” he said. “People wanting to die. People trying to give me babies and things. It was a helpless, helpless feeling.
“There was a lady waiting in line for bus who had a miscarriage. She was cleaning herself off so she wouldn’t lose her place in line. There were old people saying, ‘Just let me lay down and die.’ It’s bull...., absolutely bull..... It’s unbelievable that this would happen in America.”
While a number of people in the sea of refugees that packed the Dome and Convention Center complained that Nagin had not come to address them, Nagin said he did visit both facilities and speak with people.
“I went there,” he said. “I went through the crowds and talked to people and they were not happy. They were panicked. After the shootings and the looting got out of control, I did not go back in there. My security people advised me not to go back” after Wednesday, he said.
By Thursday, crowds had gotten increasingly restless. At one point, a crowd surged dangerously around Police Superintendent Eddie Compass, and a knot of police officers had to help him to safety.
Part of the discomfort in the Dome and Convention Center owed to the lack of toilet facilities after the city’s water system went down late Wednesday. The city’s hurricane plan calls for portable toilets at shelters, but none ever arrived. Nagin said his understanding was that the National Guard was in charge of providing them.
Also, he added, “Our plan never assumed people being in the Dome more than two or three days.”
Nagin saw a few bright spots amid the rubble of the city. He said the New Orleans Police Department – at least, the majority of it, given that there were a number of desertions – should be hailed for fighting an almost impossible fight, handling search-and-rescue missions while trying to keep an increasingly lawless city in check.
“They were absolutely heroic,” he said. “The stuff they were dealing with, man … they spent the first two or three days pulling people out of the water. When the looting started to get to the point that it was a real concern, they had to get involved in serious firefights. I mean, we had radio chatter where police were pinned down in firefights and ran out of ammunition. That’s never happened.”
Nagin also expressed cautious optimism about the city’s future.
“I think we’ll be a better city,” he said. “I think we’re going to see an unprecedented construction boom, and some better-paying jobs. Small businesses will start thriving, and I think the tourist industry will bounce back stronger than ever.”
Many people who were stranded for days at the Dome and Convention Center told reporters they were never coming back to their devastated city. The mayor acknowledged that some of them probably meant it, including some of the displaced New Orleanians he’s met since arriving in Dallas.
“I think some people will probably not come back,” he said. “You know, Texas is treating people very well, probably much better than we treated people.’’
“But I think once people start to see the rebuilding, and that the culture of the city will not be materially affected, they’ll be back.”
How things progress will depend largely on the level of federal aid, the mayor acknowledged. And it’s still unclear whether entire neighborhoods will have to be razed – and whether some areas should be abandoned because of their propensity to flood.
“The longer those neighborhoods stay underwater, the harder it’s going to be to rebuild
them,” he said.
Meanwhile, there are going to have to be serious conversations about changes to the housing codes and improvements to the levee system, whose inadequacies were laid bare by Katrina.
“I’ve been been talking to some people in Texas, and I think may be some better designs for housing that can handle some of this,” Nagin said. “And the levee system is designed only to withstand a Category 3 storm. Obviously, we have to do better than that.”

LINK (http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/)

Nitro Express
09-10-2005, 08:01 PM
I think we should give the President Bush, Govener Blanco, and Mayor Nagan each a huge zuccini squash and they all can fuck each other up the ass with it.

Big Train
09-11-2005, 12:00 PM
I hope he bought enough land to park all his unused buses. I'm sure none of the people he represents will spend a night in that place. What a fucking asshole...

scorpioboy33
09-11-2005, 12:57 PM
hey the guys doing nothing wrong...I mean he has a family...think of the children

Cathedral
09-11-2005, 02:04 PM
The mans arrogance is completely unbeleivable.

But he can rest assured, things will be taken care of so this doesn't happen again to anyone.

Let it be known that all politicians are on notice, clean up your act or pack your fucking bags.
We won't move forward business as usual, believe that.

Big Train
09-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by scorpioboy33
hey the guys doing nothing wrong...I mean he has a family...think of the children

I am...all the ones that never got on those buses...

Cathedral
09-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Big Train

Amen to that...Nagin ain't going to get away with his skating routine.
Oh i'm sure he thinks he is, but his day of reckoning is coming.

Warham
09-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Here comes the reckoning day....

Nitro Express
09-11-2005, 05:14 PM
I wonder how the people stuck at the Superdome and Convention Center would react to the fuck if he showed up; especially, if they knew how many buses were available and how close dry land was. Just up the on ramp, down the freeway and over the bridge. Who's responsibility does this fiasco fall on? Not the state, not the federal govt. Yeah, that's right the city and who runs the city? Yup Naggin.

ELVIS
09-12-2005, 01:56 AM
It's Nagin, and he's not the problem...

The things he states in the above article are generally true...

I'm also starting to believe as he suggested, that class and race play into the response from the state and federal government...

LoungeMachine
09-12-2005, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
It's Nagin, and he's not the problem...

The things he states in the above article are generally true...

I'm also starting to believe as he suggested, that class and race play into the response from the state and federal government...

There is a God. I agree 100%

Everyone from Nagin to Bush carry some blame. Difference is Nagin doesn't work for most of us [ELVIS being the exception ] , but everyone from Brownie on up to Chimpy DO WORK FOR US.

LoungeMachine
09-12-2005, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Warham
Here comes the reckoning day....

Really?

Well that must apply to Brownie, Jherkoff, and Skippy the simple-minded Himself.;)

But don't worry. Skippy is going to lead an investigation on himself.

[ of course he's already told Cheney that when he interviews himself, he needs uncle Dick to be there with him ]

:cool:

ELVIS
09-12-2005, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
There is a God. I agree 100%

Nagin doesn't deserve the bashing he's been getting...

He's an honest democrat in a state with a history of government corruption that has gone on for decades...

He has warned his city on several occasions that the people would be on their own would a catastrophy hit...

LoungeMachine
09-12-2005, 03:13 AM

He's an honest democrat .

That's bound to illicit a chuckle or two from Bri and War among others.

:)

I just can't seem to understand why local mistakes somehow equate to FEDERAL FUCK UPS getting a "get out of jail free" card.

They're not mutually exclusive.

Blame Game my ass..:rolleyes:

Nitro Express
09-12-2005, 04:48 AM
I think we have to realize that hurricane Katrina and the levys failing was a huge ass dissaster. We also need to remember that many of the resources the govt. uses were in Iraq at the time.

You always have beurocracy and red tape, but the good leaders break through this shit and get things done. In a huge multi-state dissaster like Katrina, a good president makes it the number one priority. The president can break the beurocracy better than some mid manager. It's the president's job to assess the situation so is it the govenor's. I mean the city of New Orleans was in caos pretty damn quick, the govener traditionally sends in the National Guard. In extreme cases, the president can send the military in. Bush could have had the military make some emergency drops at the Superdome, hell, he could have dropped troops in to keep law and order. This was not done.

Warham
09-12-2005, 06:46 AM
Really?

Well that must apply to Brownie, Jherkoff, and Skippy the simple-minded Himself.;)

But don't worry. Skippy is going to lead an investigation on himself.

[ of course he's already told Cheney that when he interviews himself, he needs uncle Dick to be there with him ]

No, I was just singing the Megadeth number. Carry on!

Warham
09-12-2005, 06:47 AM

I just can't seem to understand why local mistakes somehow equate to FEDERAL FUCK UPS getting a "get out of jail free" card.

He's an incompetant, mostly honest Democrat. I definately feel sorry for him, compared to Blanco. She's a tool if I ever saw one.

Big Train
09-12-2005, 09:33 AM

Your right that did. Thank you :)

Your right they are not mutually exclusive. However, I don't know why you continue to try to pick a fight on a point most people (Myself included) actually agree with you on. I've said it many times already, as have others, that there is blame all around, but you keep insisiting we are trying to let me them off the hook.

Sometimes you libs really confuse me. You keep fighting AFTER we agree...

ELVIS
09-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Warham
He's an incompetant, mostly honest Democrat. I definately feel sorry for him, compared to Blanco. She's a tool if I ever saw one.

One problem is the other local polito-crooks hate Nagin because he has been fighting corruption within the Government here...

Nickdfresh
09-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Big Train

FEMA also played a part in that! They were supposed to coordinate the resources with NAGIN's office, he deserves some of the blame for that, but certainly not all.

Angel
09-12-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
but the good leaders break through this shit and get things done. In a huge multi-state dissaster like Katrina, a good president makes it the number one priority. The president can break the beurocracy better than some mid manager. It's the president's job to assess the situation so is it the govenor's. I mean the city of New Orleans was in caos pretty damn quick, the govener traditionally sends in the National Guard. In extreme cases, the president can send the military in. Bush could have had the military make some emergency drops at the Superdome, hell, he could have dropped troops in to keep law and order. This was not done.

Yet Canada managed to have Urban Search & Rescue teams ON THE GROUND (Gulfport) before FEMA even got there. There's NO FUCKING EXCUSE!

Angel
09-12-2005, 02:20 PM

We've been saying that from day one. I think that's why we sent help so fast....

ELVIS
09-12-2005, 02:21 PM
Whatever...

http://www.drudgereport.com/penn.jpg

:elvis:

Angel
09-12-2005, 02:29 PM
I'm talking Canada, not celebrities. We were there before them, too.

Phil theStalker
09-12-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Why were people promised resources and they didn’t show up? Where were the military resources? Where was the National Guard? Why were we left with a city on the verge of collapse, fighting for the soul of the city, with 200 National Guardsmen and 1,200 police?
There's going to be a war, my friend.

Right here, I say war right here in River City.

Townspeople: Oh, we got war

Harold: Right here in River City

Townspeople: Right here in River City

Harold: With a capital 'W' and that rhymes with 'GW'
and that stands f4or 'global war'

We're (the U.S.) just o1ne California earthquake or o1ne more hurricane away from it all collapsing. And when America goes into 'war' so goes the world.

They've taken the gloves off, folks.

:spank:

Phil theStalker
09-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Hey, YOU try t2o maake something ryhme wit 'w.'

BigBadBrian
09-12-2005, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Angel
Yet Canada managed to have Urban Search & Rescue teams ON THE GROUND (Gulfport) before FEMA even got there. There's NO FUCKING EXCUSE!

Actually, there is.

You haven't been through a hurricane, have you?

Of course not. You make hurricanes sound quite easy from behind your computer screen as you're eating that gallon of ice cream and going on your second box of cookies.

The devastation this one left is about the size of Great Britain.

Roads and waterways are inaccessible....bridges are out, airports and helo pads must be cleared.

It's not a silly little game of "who get's there first."

It took me over half a day to go 8 miles in Charleston after Hugo.

If the Canadians could find a way in to these people, great.

But it's probably because everyone else is just stretched thin.

Nickdfresh
09-12-2005, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Actually, there is.

You haven't been through a hurricane, have you?

Of course not. You make hurricanes sound quite easy from behind your computer screen as you're eating that gallon of ice cream and going on your second box of cookies.

The devastation this one left is about the size of Great Britain.

Roads and waterways are inaccessible....bridges are out, airports and helo pads must be cleared.

It's not a silly little game of "who get's there first."

It took me over half a day to go 8 miles in Charleston after Hugo.

If the Canadians could find a way in to these people, great.

But it's probably because everyone else is just stretched thin.

Well eating ice-cream with one thumb up his ass was what FEMA Director/political hack appointee "BROWNIE" was doing, but it still took over four days for any significant Federal presence to get into the city. What's the excuse again?

DrMaddVibe
09-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Well eating ice-cream with one thumb up his ass was what FEMA Director/political hack appointee "BROWNIE" was doing, but it still took over four days for any significant Federal presence to get into the city. What's the excuse again?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05254/568876.stm (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27174)

Richard Mellonhead Scaife Propaganda deleted, as it was already posted in another thread

BigBadBrian
09-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Thanks, they needed that.

:gulp: