PDA

View Full Version : Texas Lawyer FIRED for Talking about Rove

LoungeMachine
09-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Rove's Voting Eligibility Questioned; Texas Lawyer Loses Job

POSTED: 8:50 am EDT September 11, 2005
UPDATED: 9:22 am EDT September 11, 2005

AUSTIN, Texas -- Questions about the voting eligibility of presidential adviser Karl Rove have cost a lawyer for the Texas government her job.

Elizabeth Reyes, who worked for the Texas secretary of state, said she was canned last week for violating the agency's media policy.

Reyes was quoted in a Washington Post story about tax deductions on Rove's homes in Washington and Texas. They hinged on whether he was truly eligible to vote in Texas.

Reyes said that, as she understood it, she was allowed to talk with members of the media. But she said she didn't know she was speaking to a reporter, and Karl Rove's name never came up.

The Post reported that Rove inadvertently got a homestead tax deduction on his home in Washington. He agreed to pay an estimated $3,400 dollars.

FORD
09-11-2005, 02:10 PM
So what exactly is the question? Is it one of residency? I remember when Poppy was in the White House his claim of "Texas residency" consisted of spending one week out of the year in a Texas hotel, so it would seem their residency requirements are rather "liberal" (which is the only time you will see that word applied to Bush or Rove).

My question would be whether KKKarl voted BOTH in Texas AND in DC.

DrMaddVibe
09-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Don't dance if you can't pay the piper.

I don't know why this is even an issue.

FORD
09-12-2005, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Don't dance if you can't pay the piper.

I don't know why this is even an issue.

Considering voter fraud is the main reason Junior has been in the White House destroying this country for 5 years, It's very MUCH an issue if his "brain" or "architect" or whatever the concentration camp guard's grandson is being called this week is doing something against the law.

Besides that little matter of treason in the Valerie Plame case, that is.

No, that hasn't been forgotten. Nor will it be.

LoungeMachine
09-12-2005, 01:57 AM
Exactly.

And this latest story just goes to show KKKarl is getting nervous.

As much as the Cons wish it would, this story is not going away.

And remember your presidential scandal history.

It's usually not so much the "scandal", but the cover up.

I can't wait for someone to get close enough to the Chimp to ask: "What,sir, did you know, and when did you know it?''

DrMaddVibe
09-12-2005, 06:32 AM
Hold your breath.

LoungeMachine
09-19-2005, 12:50 AM
Sunday, September 18, 2005 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

Phone call from Rove spurred dismissal

By Wayne Slater

The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN, Texas — White House Deputy chief of staff Karl Rove personally called the Texas secretary of state about a newspaper story quoting a staff lawyer about whether Rove was eligible to vote in the state.

The lawyer was subsequently fired.

Secretary of State Roger Williams said that he decided to dismiss the lawyer after talking with Rove but that the White House adviser didn't request that he do so.

"Absolutely not," said Williams, a longtime supporter of President Bush and a major GOP fund raiser.

"Karl called me. He had read the article and wanted to know if it was our stance" that his voter-registration status in Texas might be in jeopardy, he said. "I told him it wasn't and that the person who gave that opinion was not authorized to do so."

The call to Williams came at the height of the Hurricane Katrina catastrophe, the weekend after the storm struck.

Elizabeth Reyes, 30, was terminated Sept. 6 after being quoted in The Washington Post three days earlier saying it was potential vote fraud to register in a place where you don't actually live.

Reyes said that she was answering a hypothetical question, that she didn't know she was talking with a reporter and that Rove's name never came up. The Post acknowledged that Rove's name was not mentioned, but said the reporter did identify herself as working for the newspaper.

Reyes said she was told she was being terminated for violating an agency policy against talking to the media.

Scott Haywood, a spokesman for the secretary of state, said employees may take "routine press calls" but must refer media inquires to the communications director if they involve "controversial matters."

Williams, asked about the reasons for Reyes' dismissal, said: "That's a personnel matter. I don't really want to discuss it."

In Texas, state employees can be terminated at will. Reyes told The Post she had asked for her job back.

Rove, the longtime Bush adviser who orchestrated his campaigns for governor and president, has sold his home in Austin and claims as his voting residence two cottages associated with a bed-and-breakfast in Kerr County. The arrangement is permitted under state law, Williams said.

White House spokeswoman Erin Healey said Friday that Rove called the Texas secretary of state seeking clarification on the state's voting requirements.

Texas law provides that residents may continue to claim property in the state as a voting residence if their intent is to return. Rove owns a house in Washington, D.C., and recently built a home in Florida.

Williams, a car dealer, raised at least $100,000 for Bush's 2000 presidential campaign and in 2004 was among the elite tier of Bush Rangers, who each raised at least $200,000 for the president's re-election.

FORD
09-19-2005, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine

Rove, the longtime Bush adviser who orchestrated his campaigns for governor and president, has sold his home in Austin and claims as his voting residence two cottages associated with a bed-and-breakfast in Kerr County. The arrangement is permitted under state law, Williams said.

Bed & Breakfast???

Does "Bulldog" GannonGuckert claim this as his residency too?

http://usera.imagecave.com/Wolverine_0416/So_for_you/this-thread-is-gay.jpg