PDA

View Full Version : Firms With Bush-Cheney Ties Clinching Katrina Deals

blueturk
09-11-2005, 11:46 AM
Just thought I'd throw that description in there before one of the sheep brought it up...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-09-10-katrina-contracts_x.htm?POE=click-refer

Firms with Bush-Cheney ties clinching Katrina deals
WASHINGTON (Reuters) —

Companies with ties to the Bush White House and the former head of FEMA are clinching some of the administration's first disaster relief and reconstruction contracts in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

At least two major corporate clients of lobbyist Joe Allbaugh, President Bush's former campaign manager and a former head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, have already been tapped to start recovery work along the battered Gulf Coast.

One is Shaw Group Inc. and the other is Halliburton Co. subsidiary Kellogg Brown and Root. Vice President Dick Cheney is a former head of Halliburton.

Bechtel National Inc., a unit of San Francisco-based Bechtel Corp., has also been selected by FEMA to provide short-term housing for people displaced by the hurricane. Bush named Bechtel's CEO to his Export Council and put the former CEO of Bechtel Energy in charge of the Overseas Private Investment Corporation.

Experts say it has been common practice in both Republican and Democratic administrations for policy makers to take lobbying jobs once they leave office, and many of the same companies seeking contracts in the wake of Hurricane Katrina have already received billions of dollars for work in Iraq.

Halliburton alone has earned more than $9 billion. Pentagon audits released by Democrats in June showed $1.03 billion in "questioned" costs and $422 million in "unsupported" costs for Halliburton's work in Iraq.

But the web of Bush administration connections is attracting renewed attention from watchdog groups in the post-Katrina reconstruction rush. Congress has already appropriated more than $60 billion in emergency funding as a down payment on recovery efforts projected to cost well over $100 billion.

"The government has got to stop stacking senior positions with people who are repeatedly cashing in on the public trust in order to further private commercial interests," said Danielle Brian, executive director of the Project on Government Oversight.

Allbaugh formally registered as a lobbyist for Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg Brown and Root in February.

In lobbying disclosure forms filed with the Senate, Allbaugh said his goal was to "educate the congressional and executive branch on defense, disaster relief and homeland security issues affecting Kellogg Brown and Root."

Melissa Norcross, a Halliburton spokeswoman, said Allbaugh has not, since he was hired, "consulted on any specific contracts that the company is considering pursuing, nor has he been tasked by the company with any lobbying responsibilities."

Allbaugh is also a friend of Michael Brown, director of FEMA who was removed as head of Katrina disaster relief and sent back to Washington amid allegations he had padded his resume.

A few months after Allbaugh was hired by Halliburton, the company retained another high-level Bush appointee, Kirk Van Tine.

Van Tine registered as a lobbyist for Halliburton six months after resigning as deputy transportation secretary, a position he held from December 2003 to December 2004.

On Friday, Kellogg Brown & Root received $29.8 million in Pentagon contracts to begin rebuilding Navy bases in Louisiana and Mississippi. Norcross said the work was covered under a contract that the company negotiated before Allbaugh was hired.

Halliburton continues to be a source of income for Cheney, who served as its chief executive officer from 1995 until 2000 when he joined the Republican ticket for the White House. According to tax filings released in April, Cheney's income included $194,852 in deferred pay from the company, which has also won billion-dollar government contracts in Iraq.

Cheney's office said the amount of deferred compensation is fixed and is not affected by Halliburton's current economic performance or earnings.

Allbaugh's other major client, Baton Rouge-based Shaw Group, has updated its Web site to say: "Hurricane Recovery Projects — Apply Here!"

Shaw said on Thursday it has received a $100 million emergency FEMA contract for housing management and construction. Shaw also clinched a $100 million order on Friday from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Shaw Group spokesman Chris Sammons said Allbaugh was providing the company with "general consulting on business matters," and would not say whether he played a direct role in any of the Katrina deals. "We don't comment on specific consulting activities," he said.

FORD
09-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Anyone who can't see the corruption here is simply fucking blind.

Big Train
09-11-2005, 02:08 PM
Yea, it has nothing to do with their actual EXPERTISE in these areas of construction and project management..

FORD
09-11-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
Yea, it has nothing to do with their actual EXPERTISE in these areas of construction and project management..

Anybody can get "expertise" with an unlimited supply of no bid contracts.

Cathedral
09-11-2005, 02:13 PM
It's a big world out there, i'm sure there are others just as qualified to do the work.
I own stock in a company that would have loved a shot at any of these projects.
But so far, it's going to the same select group of entitleist's that it always does.

I have a problem with that.

Big Train
09-11-2005, 02:20 PM
There are plenty of firms who will benefit for from this. The contracts are for global pieces of the project, which may very well in fact be subbed out. The scope of the disaster, only a few firms qualify for (the equipment and manpower require consolidated players).

Phil theStalker
09-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
I have a problem with that.
Me T2OO!

:spank:

'E LOOKS LIKE BEN FRANKLIN, HUH...

REVOLUTION
Wot Do Yoo Say?
YA'WANNA?!

Little Texan
09-11-2005, 02:30 PM
Bush and Cheney seem to be in it for the almighty dollar. Cheney with the Haliburton contracts in Iraq and the Gulf Coast, and Bush with the high oil prices that he doesn't bother doing anything about. If you think neither one still has stocks in those respective areas, you are naive, to say the least. Bush was an oilman for many years, and Cheney was the CEO of Haliburton.

Phil theStalker
09-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Little Texan
Bush and Cheney seem to be in it for the almighty dollar. Cheney with the Haliburton contracts in Iraq and the Gulf Coast, and Bush with the high oil prices that he doesn't bother doing anything about. If you think neither one still has stocks in those respective areas, you are naive, to say the least. Bush was an oilman for many years, and Cheney was the CEO of Haliburton.
And, George Bush 41 was head of the CIA.

T2o call George Bush 43 an oilman is an insult t2o oilmen and oilwomen everywhere.

Big Train
09-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Ok, I'm Naive, but explain to me please the EXACT process by which Cheney is making money off a company he no longers works for and hasn't for the better part of a decade. Just spell it out for us naive types...been asking this question for years and nobody has an intelligent response.

Big Train
09-11-2005, 02:42 PM
and please counter this wile you are at it:

http://www.factcheck.org/article261.html

Warham
09-11-2005, 02:45 PM
I'd like to know how Bush steered the hurricane over New Orleans to get these contracts to Halliburton.

Phil theStalker
09-11-2005, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Warham
I'd like to know how Bush steered the hurricane over New Orleans to get these contracts to Halliburton.
GO HERE (http://www.fas.org/irp/program/collect/haarp-duma.htm)

Little Texan
09-11-2005, 02:54 PM
http://www.halliburtonwatch.org/about_hal/ethics.html

Cheney Violates Ethics Law
“These are not times for leaders who shift with the political winds, saying one thing one day and another, the next.” -- Dick Cheney

On the Sept. 14, 2003 edition of NBC's Meet the Press, Vice President Dick Cheney said, "And since I left Halliburton to become George Bush's vice president, I've severed all my ties with the company, gotten rid of all my financial interest. I have no financial interest in Halliburton of any kind and haven't had, now, for over three years."

But, just as Cheney's wild claims about weapons of mass destruction turned out to be untrue and his claim that Halliburton had no ties to Saddam Hussein was bogus, his denial about profiting from Halliburton as vice president was also a bald-face lie. So while Cheney denied any relationship with Halliburton as vice president, he conveniently forgot to mention that he continues to receive from the company deferred salary of over $150,000 while maintaining 433,333 shares of unexercised stock options. Certainly, Cheney has a "financial interest in Halliburton" while working as vice president.

When confronted with the proof of his ongoing financial ties with Halliburton, Cheney responded by claiming his deferred salary and stock options are not actually a "financial interest" as defined by federal ethics standards and therefore not a conflict of interest. This prompted the Congressional Research Service to issue a report which confirmed Cheney's ongoing financial interest in Halliburton "is considered among the 'ties' retained in or 'linkages to former employers' that may 'represent a continuing financial interest' in those employers which makes them potential conflicts of interest."

Caught in another lie, Cheney manufactured another excuse: He said the financial interest in Halliburton is not tied to the success or failure of the company because of an insurance policy. In other words, the insurance policy, which guarantees his financial interest will be paid to him regardless of Halliburton's success or failure, is proof there is no quid-pro-quo. He also said the stock options will be donated to charity, rather than used for his personal gain.

It's clear that Cheney broke the ethics law, but both the president and vice president are exempt from the enforcement of such laws. Therefore, Cheney cannot be prosecuted for his conflict of interest or his lie.

DEFERRED SALARY: Cheney received $205,298 in deferred salary from Halliburton in 2001, $162,392 from the company in 2002 and $178,437 in 2003. Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) said, "Deferred salary is not a retirement benefit or a payment from a third party escrow account, but rather an ongoing corporate obligation paid from company funds."

STOCK OPTIONS: The Vice President has signed an agreement to donate any profits from his stock options to charity, and has pledged not to take any tax deduction for the donations. Should Halliburton's stock price increase over the next few years, the Vice President could exercise his stock options for a substantial profit, benefiting not only his designated charities, but also providing Halliburton with a substantial tax deduction.

Halliburton Stock Options Currently Held by Cheney (current to end of 2002): 100,000 shares at $54.5000 (vested), expire 12-03-07; 33,333 shares at $28.1250 (vested), expire 12-02-08; 300,000 shares at $39.5000 (vested), expire 12-02-09.

Cheney's deferred compensation and stock option benefits are in addition to a $20 million retirement package paid to him by Halliburton after only five years of employment; a $1.4 million cash bonus paid to him by Halliburton in 2001; and additional millions of dollars in compensation paid to him while he was employed by the company.

In 2002, Cheney's total assets were valued at between $19.1 million and $86.4 million.

scorpioboy33
09-11-2005, 02:56 PM
It just seems to me that some of the right wingers here don't even question this type of thing. they make excuses for it...they justify it even though ANY person of reasonable should be at least HOLD ON! Let's check this out and make sure this is legit.

blueturk
09-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Warham

I think I tried to avoid these bleatings in my description when I started this thread...:rolleyes:

Big Train
09-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by scorpioboy33
It just seems to me that some of the right wingers here don't even question this type of thing. they make excuses for it...they justify it even though ANY person of reasonable should be at least HOLD ON! Let's check this out and make sure this is legit.

Fuck man , I AM questioning it and the facts prove he is clean with respect to halliburton. Do some of the reading I suggest above.

Big Train
09-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Little Texan
http://www.halliburtonwatch.org/about_hal/ethics.html

Cheney Violates Ethics Law
“These are not times for leaders who shift with the political winds, saying one thing one day and another, the next.” -- Dick Cheney

On the Sept. 14, 2003 edition of NBC's Meet the Press, Vice President Dick Cheney said, "And since I left Halliburton to become George Bush's vice president, I've severed all my ties with the company, gotten rid of all my financial interest. I have no financial interest in Halliburton of any kind and haven't had, now, for over three years."

But, just as Cheney's wild claims about weapons of mass destruction turned out to be untrue and his claim that Halliburton had no ties to Saddam Hussein was bogus, his denial about profiting from Halliburton as vice president was also a bald-face lie. So while Cheney denied any relationship with Halliburton as vice president, he conveniently forgot to mention that he continues to receive from the company deferred salary of over $150,000 while maintaining 433,333 shares of unexercised stock options. Certainly, Cheney has a "financial interest in Halliburton" while working as vice president.

Caught in another lie, Cheney manufactured another excuse: He said the financial interest in Halliburton is not tied to the success or failure of the company because of an insurance policy. In other words, the insurance policy, which guarantees his financial interest will be paid to him regardless of Halliburton's success or failure, is proof there is no quid-pro-quo. He also said the stock options will be donated to charity, rather than used for his personal gain.

It's clear that Cheney broke the ethics law, but both the president and vice president are exempt from the enforcement of such laws. Therefore, Cheney cannot be prosecuted for his conflict of interest or his lie.

DEFERRED SALARY: Cheney received $205,298 in deferred salary from Halliburton in 2001, $162,392 from the company in 2002 and $178,437 in 2003. Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) said, "Deferred salary is not a retirement benefit or a payment from a third party escrow account, but rather an ongoing corporate obligation paid from company funds."

STOCK OPTIONS: The Vice President has signed an agreement to donate any profits from his stock options to charity, and has pledged not to take any tax deduction for the donations. Should Halliburton's stock price increase over the next few years, the Vice President could exercise his stock options for a substantial profit, benefiting not only his designated charities, but also providing Halliburton with a substantial tax deduction.

Cheney's deferred compensation and stock option benefits are in addition to a $20 million retirement package paid to him by Halliburton after only five years of employment; a $1.4 million cash bonus paid to him by Halliburton in 2001; and additional millions of dollars in compensation paid to him while he was employed by the company.

In 2002, Cheney's total assets were valued at between $19.1 million and $86.4 million.

WHOA...nice detective work. The site I referred you to has all the legal docs you need to see.

The part above "Stock Options" is a perfect example of partisan bullshit. It mentions nothing about how he personally could benefit from it, noting only halliburton could and possibly the charities he has deemed the beneficiaries of the stock options (which again if you read up, has a clause the Cheney can never get those options back from the charity).

So let's review. He hasn't made any money from them since BEFORE he was elected. The money he did make, he elected to take as passive income, which was guaranteed either way BEFORE he was elected and had no provisions to kick up should he BE elected.

His outstanding stock options went to a third party charity and he has no control over them.

He has recieved no new compensation from them since being elected.

I'm still waiting for a logical response...

DLR'sCock
09-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Phil theStalker
GO HERE (http://www.fas.org/irp/program/collect/haarp-duma.htm)

hmmmmm interesting read....
well science fiction has led to science fact before...

let's post it...

Title: Russian parliament concerned about US plans to develop new weapon

Document Number: FBIS-SOV-2002-0808
Document Date: 08 Aug 2002
Division: Russia, North America
Subdivision: Russia, United States
Sourceline: CEP20020808000087 Moscow Interfax in English 1009 GMT 8 Aug 02
Citysource: Moscow Interfax
Language: English

[FBIS Transcribed Text] MOSCOW. Aug 8 (Interfax) - The Russian State
Duma has expressed concern about the United States' program to develop a
qualitatively new type of weapon.
"Under the High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP), the
U.S. is creating new integral geophysical weapons that may influence the
near-Earth medium with high-frequency radio waves," the State Duma said
in an appeal circulated on Thursday.
"The significance of this qualitative leap could be compared to the
transition from cold steel to fire arms, or from conventional weapons to
nuclear weapons. This new type of weapons differs from previous types in
that the near-Earth medium becomes at once an object of direct influence
and its component.
These conclusions were made by the commission of the State Duma's
international affairs and defense committees, the statement reads.
The committees reported that the U.S. is planning to test three
facilities of this kind. One of them is located on the military testing
ground in Alaska and its full-scale tests are to begin in early 2003. The
second one is in Greenland and the third one in Norway.
"When these facilities are launched into space from Norway, Alsaka and
Greenland, a closed contour will be created with a truly fantastic
integral potential for influencing the near-Earth medium," the State Duma
said.
The U.S. plans to carry out large-scale scientific experiments, under
the HAARP program, and not controlled by the global community, will
create weapons capable of breaking radio communication lines and
equipment installed on spaceships and rockets, provoke serious accidents
in electricity networks and in oil and gas pipelines and have a negative
impact on the mental health of people populating entire regions, the
deputies said.
They demanded that an international ban be put on such large-scale
geophysical experiments.
The appeal, signed by 90 deputies, has been sent to President Vladimir
Putin, to the United Nations and other international organizations, to
the parliaments and leaders of the UN member countries, to the scientific
public and to mass media outlets.
Among those who signed the appeal are Tatyana Astrakhankina, Nikolai
Kharitonov, Yegor Ligachev, Sergei Reshulsky, Vitaly Sevastyanov, Viktor
Cherepkov, Valentin Zorkaltsev and Alexei Mitrofanov.

[Description of Source: Moscow Interfax in English -- non-government
information agency known for its aggressive reporting, extensive economic
coverage, and good coverage of Russia's regions]

BITEYOASS
09-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Yep I knew it! It's just like some damn southern good-ole boy government network, only on a Federal level!!!!! WTF!!!

Phil theStalker
09-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by DLR'sCock
hmmmmm interesting read....
well science fiction has led to science fact before...

let's post it...
Hey, I TRY.

Tell mme how t2o cut and paste and i'll doo tit..

damn yanKEES..

uh uh uh uhu hu hu hu hu hu h uh u huhu uhu hu h

FORD
09-12-2005, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by DLR'sCock
The U.S. plans to carry out large-scale scientific experiments, under
the HAARP program, and not controlled by the global community, will
create weapons capable of breaking radio communication lines and
equipment installed on spaceships and rockets, provoke serious accidents
in electricity networks

Ohio, 2002

and in oil and gas pipelines
Arizona, 2003

and have a negative
impact on the mental health of people populating entire regions, the
deputies said.

http://www.stacytaylor.com/dumbfuckistan.jpg
November 2004

Phil theStalker
09-12-2005, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by FORD
http://www.stacytaylor.com/dumbfuckistan.jpg
I think everyone in the red states, Dumbfuckistan, should be the only states to send their national guard to Iraq. And it can be done. It should have been done.

The governor of each state can refuse to allow it's state national guard to be called up by the feds without a declaration of war.

In my state that would be governor Taft.

TAFT YOU HAVE BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS AND 14 IN ONE DAY FROM BROOK PARK, OHIO.

There WILL be a civil war and it won't be a repeat of Dixie with 80K killed in a day at Gettysburg. It's going to be more like JFK and Waco over and over again.

It's later than you...

Big Train
09-12-2005, 09:35 AM
I guess your not gonna refute what I said (trying to get back on topic)...

FORD
09-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Phil theStalker
I think everyone in the red states, Dumbfuckistan, should be the only states to send their national guard to Iraq. And it can be done. It should have been done.

The governor of each state can refuse to allow it's state national guard to be called up by the feds without a declaration of war.

In my state that would be governor Taft.

TAFT YOU HAVE BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS AND 14 IN ONE DAY FROM BROOK PARK, OHIO.

There WILL be a civil war and it won't be a repeat of Dixie with 80K killed in a day at Gettysburg. It's going to be more like JFK and Waco over and over again.

It's later than you...

Considering Taft and his appointed Secretary of State were direct participants in the voter fraud which "decided" the election, he's got a little more blood on his hands than the rest of the red state governors.

Except Jeb of course. And possibly Rick Perry. (both BCE)

Phil theStalker
09-12-2005, 12:15 PM
Considering Taft and his appointed Secretary of State were direct participants in the voter fraud which "decided" the election, he's got a little more blood on his hands than the rest of the red state governors.

Except Jeb of course. And possibly Rick Perry. (both BCE)
You got it, FORD.

And the Washinton Post, the New York Times, Time magazine and other publications and media directors and owners are guilty of treason for attending CFR meetings where "the supranational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers" is discussed in secret from the people of the United States and the world. CFR members include U.S. Presidents. (sic)

Trials, prison cells, whatever...or war if there are no trials.

Unless the "world government" planners/conspirators throw a bone to the people of the U.S. in the form of Bush losing his Presidency, and by next summer, the country will fall into civil war.

It's coming.

A cleansing of this conspiracy from mankind is coming.

As far as I'm concerned the present day Rockefellers and Tafts are moving closer and closer to either that prison cell or searched for as fugitives during a new American civil war arising out of nothing less than this "world government" conspiracy.

And if a U.S. militaman who is illiterate and can only sign his name with an X turns and shoots the king then that is how liberty may have to be won in modern times.

And you have a RIGHT to bear arms directly from the Creator of the universe so it doesn't have to be written in any constitution, but it WAS written down in 1776.

Let me put it another way:

IT'S A HUMAN RIGHT TO REVOLUTION.

Don't join FEMA, join a local militia and take care of yourselves, America.

You can see that now, you are going to have to take care of yourself.

FEMA turned back all aid for 4 days in New Orleans under the NAZI-type reasoning of "THERE WAS A CONCERN THAT IF AID WENT IN PEOPLE WOULDN'T COME OUT."
Quote from Red Cross spokesperson, LIVE on a Cleveland PBS telethon, 9-9-05, during an interview answering a question about why the Red Cross appeared to respond late to the disaster in New Orleans.

Very heavy accusation from the Red Cross here, folks.

Civil war is coming over this type of treatment by the "new" U.S. government leadership upon a whole U.S. city.

I will soon be posting the RC's spokesperson's name.

SHE SAID IT AND YOU HAVE TO KNOW IT.

After you KNOW it, then you have to start looking at guns at K-Mart and the Internet for prices so that you can start to put aside money if you have to for purchasing your protection from harm of life, limb and property, and for your family's, by this government's pious, authoritarian (tyranny) rule.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I'd say you'll need PERSONAL protection by next June when the fallout from all of these New Orleans questions, well, falls out into the American psyche.

FORD
09-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Why would you buy guns from K-Mart?

I'd prefer guns that actually work when I need them to.

Besides, didn't they stop selling guns after Bowling for Columbine?

Nickdfresh
09-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
There are plenty of firms who will benefit for from this. The contracts are for global pieces of the project, which may very well in fact be subbed out. The scope of the disaster, only a few firms qualify for (the equipment and manpower require consolidated players).

So let's hire the ones that have bilked taxpayers for over a billion dollars right? Riiiight!:rolleyes:

Phil theStalker
09-12-2005, 01:00 PM
Why would you buy guns from K-Mart?

I'd prefer guns that actually work when I need them to.

Besides, didn't they stop selling guns after Bowling for Columbine?
Okay, I'll be more concise.

I was only using a "white box" store everybody goes to, except me. If K-Mart has stopped selling shotguns coast to coast then the people should just surf the Web.

Do that.

Search the web RIGHT NOW!

And fuck your next trip to "Target." haha a little pun, no..

Phil theStalker
09-12-2005, 01:02 PM
I'm sure you can still buy air-rifles at K-Mart and that will assure you some small birds, squirrels and rabbits that you can shoot and eat.

Phil theStalker
09-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
So let's hire the ones that have bilked taxpayers for over a billion dollars right? Riiiight!:rolleyes: Right, you got it.

When are you leaving, Nicko?:(

5:01 am
09-13-2005, 12:40 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,169194,00.html

Contract Connections?

Reuters reports that companies with a web of connections to the Bush administration are winning the first contracts to rebuild New Orleans. The story notes that the Shaw Group (search) of Baton Rouge, which has been awarded $200 million in clean-up contracts, employs former Bush campaign manager and FEMA director Joe Allbaugh (search) to provide "general business consulting."

The Shaw Group's founder and CEO is J.M. Bernhard of Baton Rouge, Louisiana who is the chairman of the Louisiana Democratic Party and was co-chairman Governor Kathleen Blanco's transition committee, a fact left out of the Reuters story.