PDA

View Full Version : Patients put down

BigBadBrian
09-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Patients put down

September 12, 2005

DOCTORS working in hurricane-ravaged New Orleans killed critically ill patients rather than leave them to die in agony as they evacuated.

With gangs of rapists and looters rampaging through wards in the flooded city, senior doctors took the harrowing decision to give massive overdoses of morphine to those they believed could not make it out alive.

One New Orleans doctor told how she "prayed for God to have mercy on her soul" after she ignored every tenet of medical ethics and ended the lives of patients she had earlier fought to save.

Her heart-rending account has been corroborated by a hospital orderly and by local government officials.

One emergency official, William Forest McQueen, said: "Those who had no chance of making it were given a lot of morphine and lain down in a dark place to die."

Euthanasia is illegal in Louisiana and the doctors spoke only on condition on anonymity.

Their families believe their confessions are an indictment of the appalling failure of US authorities to help those in desperate need after Hurricane Katrina flooded the city, claiming thousands of lives and making 500,000 homeless.

"I didn't know if I was doing the right thing," the doctor said.

"But I did not have time. I had to make snap decisions, under the most appalling circumstances, and I did what I thought was right.

"I injected morphine into those patients who were dying and in agony.

"If the first dose was not enough, I gave a double dose.

"And at night I prayed to God to have mercy on my soul."

The doctor, who finally fled her hospital late last week in fear of being murdered by the armed looters, denied her actions were murder.

"This was not murder, this was compassion. They would have been dead within hours, if not days," she said.

"What we did was give comfort to the end. I had cancer patients who were in agony. In some cases the drugs may have speeded up the death process.

"We divided the hospital's patients into three categories: Those who were traumatised but medically fit enough to survive, those who needed urgent care, and the dying.

"People would find it impossible to understand the situation.

"I had to make life-or-death decisions in a split second.

"It came down to giving people the basic human right to die with dignity.

"There were patients with 'do not resuscitate' signs. Under normal circumstances some could have lasted several days. But when the power went out, we had nothing.

"Some of the very sick became distressed. We tried to make them as comfortable as possible.

"The pharmacy was under lockdown because gangs of armed looters were roaming around looking for their fix.

"You have to understand these people were going to die anyway."

Mr McQueen, a utility manager for the town of Abita Springs, half an hour north of New Orleans, told relatives that patients had been "put down", saying: "They injected them, but nurses stayed with them until they died."

Mr McQueen, who worked closely with emergency teams, added: "They had to make unbearable decisions."

LINK (http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,16566858-5001022,00.html)

4moreyears
09-11-2005, 10:31 PM
How hard to think that someone had to be in the position to make a decision like that.

Lestat
09-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Too bad they didn't put down some of the looters instead.

"Hey Buddy... got yer fix right here!"

FORD
09-12-2005, 01:05 AM
So that's why Frist came down there. They needed an experienced heartless killer for the job :(

FORD
09-12-2005, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Lestat
Too bad they didn't put down some of the looters instead.

"Hey Buddy... got yer fix right here!"

Well, you're the hot shit New Orleans vampire? Why didn't you do something about it? :D

fryingdutchman
09-12-2005, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by FORD
So that's why Frist came down there. They needed an experienced heartless killer for the job :(

Come on, FORD.

Is there any Republican, or for that matter, any moderate/moderate conservative that you don't loathe?

I don't sense any objectivity on your part, and it costs you credibility.

FORD
09-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by fryingdutchman
Come on, FORD.

Is there any Republican, or for that matter, any moderate/moderate conservative that you don't loathe?

I don't sense any objectivity on your part, and it costs you credibility.

Apparently you haven't heard of Dr. Frist's Joseph Mengele inspired experiments on kittens early in his medical career?

If my only choices of a doctor were Bill Frist or Jack Kevorkian, I think I'd have to go with Jack.

fryingdutchman
09-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Apparently you haven't heard of Dr. Frist's Joseph Mengele inspired experiments on kittens early in his medical career?

If my only choices of a doctor were Bill Frist or Jack Kevorkian, I think I'd have to go with Jack.

To be honest, FORD, I haven't heard of the "Frist experiments."

Were the experiments intended to further medical advancements for humans? Because if they were, I have no problem with it. There's certainly no shortage of tabby cats running loose in the world, and if they're sacrifice helps you and I live longer, better lives, then so be it.

Now...if they were experiments like "let's see how long it lives after we cut off it's head"....I WOULD have a problem with that.

Either way, I'm not sure I would put Bill Frist and Josef Mengele in the same sentence. A wee bit of a stretch....dontcha think?

ODShowtime
09-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Patients put down
September 12, 2005

DOCTORS working in hurricane-ravaged New Orleans killed critically ill patients rather than leave them to die in agony as they evacuated.

With gangs of rapists and looters rampaging through wards in the flooded city, senior doctors took the harrowing decision to give massive overdoses of morphine to those they believed could not make it out alive.

It's really shameful that this happened in America.

Katydid
09-12-2005, 08:57 PM
Early on I turned on tv and saw an announcer who got all that "hate Bush shit" started. He was saying Bush should have been there the first day, etc. Obviously a Democrat who hated Republicans, and used every chance to trash the president. I just turned his hate and ignorance off...

Went to FOX NEWS for a fair and balanced account of what was going on.

The New Orleans mayor was on radio cussing and using the f word...then Shepard Fox, saw first hand where the mayor and his entourage of 100 spent the week in the Regency Hiatt, and then ran out of things...so they went to the line boarding buses and demanded to be put in front of the line...people who had been suffering for days, with nothing...put them last to get the mayor and his entourage out...

Then he gave the police and etc. a week in Las Vegas...said, "Get over it, we are a party city!!!"

Did you know at least 15 tornados spawned off the hurricane, laying the whole city waste...

There were 4 rapes in the Astradome, one was a 2 year old...said the child molesters were stalking the children who were alone.

That is why the National Guard was sent down....not to "shoot blacks because the Pres. didn't like blacks..." like the rock star West said in the telethon for Red Cross. They cut his ass off quick...

I am sick of people twisting shit and starting "I hate Bush crap at any chance." Just shows your ignorance...

Get the beam out of your own eye, before you accuse your brother...

Seems like a lot of hate in the South...get over it already, no one wants to hear it.

bobgnote
09-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Katydid
Early on I turned on tv and saw an announcer who got all that "hate Bush shit" started. He was saying Bush should have been there the first day, etc. Obviously a Democrat who hated Republicans, and used every chance to trash the president. I just turned his hate and ignorance off...

Went to FOX NEWS for a fair and balanced account of what was going on.

That is why the National Guard was sent down....not to "shoot blacks because the Pres. didn't like blacks..." like the rock star West said in the telethon for Red Cross. They cut his ass off quick...

I am sick of people twisting shit and starting "I hate Bush crap at any chance." Just shows your ignorance...

Get the beam out of your own eye, before you accuse your brother...

Seems like a lot of hate in the South...get over it already, no one wants to hear it.

Damn, you are the ostrich, beeeyitch! Get your head out of Rupert.

Fox spun the war, INCREASING CASUALTIES, including by spinning punks like James Woolsey, former CIA director, and the various anti-rational jingoisms, more than anybody did, and NOBODY among the corporate punk newsies was part good enough. NOBODY admitted the post-deregulation energy deals were the tactical nexus for Al Queda's moving up the attacks from about 11/03/02 to 9/11/01, AND LOOK AT LONDON. FOUR YEARS LATER.

All your fair and balanced buttreams hid the illegal, INFLATIONARY POWER DEALS FOR FOUR MORE YEARS. So the economy has the bloats, and the phage-model is OVARIAN CANCER.

Your cunt-servatism is this: WOMEN IS LOSERS. You want to be Peggy Bundy and grab Bud and Kel and narc the shoestore, busting every mirror in the place, then Al gets into it, 9/11, and YOU have all the lawyers ready, but YOU CANNOT WIN THE WAR, girl doofus. WAR costs MONEY, and YOUR FUNDS FLOWS ARE IN GRAVE DANGER.

See the BASES CLOSE? Up pretty soon is SUBSIDIES FOR ISRAEL. We won't have those, forever, not for all that Zionist trash, which incited 9/11 with Clinton and Bush. You don't get past the Rabin hit, 11/3/95, without trigggering something, but airhead, you neo-cons are stonewalling the illegal power deals, FOUR YEARS AFTER THEY WERE ENEACTED, so you and your neo-con crews are cruising for a financial bruising, YOU CANNOT EVEN SORT OUT, FOUR YEARS AFTER YOU SHOULD HAVE SUED, with me, out here in California or elsewhere.

Fox sucks worse than the rest, most days. But all the creep, inc. hides the illegal power deals are too inflationary for us to endure, that a funding implosion has already doomed both fronts, and the US incited Al Queda in the first place, with a terror cell the US and inferiors hide, behind Amendment 11. So you neo-con dykes need to learn some pragmatism, to curb your raving Catholic diatribes.

That is all conservatism is, is Catholic-fascism or British Imperialism, that gets around. You are a cunt, so you can be a neo-con. If you are a CONSERVATIVE, you are much too stupid to explain why you claim THAT and also claim to have a cunt. Why would ANY woman toad up to the bogus creed hacks, but you did it. All you can ever be is a NEO-CON. You are a LOSER, who can't find a winning creed. The liberal bitches are as bad as you are, and you all enable Halliburton like it's your girl Halle, by enabling the churn and burn circus.

Your Bush hacker has a no-fly zone and a no-fly-girl zone, in DC. When he put the daughters on TV for Inauguration 2, he threatened Iran with Cheney, so you won't see Barb and Jenna much, now. He got that going by trying really hard to sneak Halliurton into Iraq with a no-bid shot, by pissing on Arafat and ignoring the illegal settlements AND the Rabin hit, and he turned over all his war crap AND closed the bases, and YOU are not smart enough to hit the illegal power deals, so that we could end up making guns in our garages like Pakistanis, which is honest work, but the job will be to make CRUISE MISSILES!

We will see hot little missiles that make kinetic kills on ANY aircraft, and when these get going, we will be forced into garages for YOU and assholes like Boeing, which will kill themselves, ignoring the funding implosion now ongoing for FOUR YEARS, while you neo-con cunts rave, so get all happy that Delta Burke satirized BOTH Valerie Bertinelli AND Laura Bush in Designing Women, c. 1990, and women STILL have not gotten Michelle Wie into the Masters in Atlanta, since.

Any women into Bush are some Bush-******S, and yep, together with liberals, you are SPIN-LOSERS, who undermined black male minds in the course of all the media profiling, so White Chicks has this and other subliminal messages, so that your spin-drift CHURNS tragedies.

You really are a shithead, since Bush did the war, and he avoided levees in N.O. and the Republicans and their Democrat cunts avoided this in California, so next sloppy winter, we might get washed, like N.O. The levees in N.O. were trampled down in places to about a 2.5, when they need to be ready for class 5. You have war AND a funding crisis that YOU ARE LOSING BATTLES AT, and you don't admit this.

Bushy-cunts have to sort GLOBAL WARMING. The Etruscans and Romans burned out North Africa, and so, Christians, Jews, and Buddhists coming back through the middle east should not be extravagant, but you all are frivolous or weasely or both. Think you get to controvert global warming and go to Iraq or Afghanistan?

YOU don't get to wage neo-cunt war when Bush is done. You get to fuck off and find a new creed. Too bad the liberals are so stupid and the Protestants don't exist any more. But the Catholics are what let you run around, if I am any judge, and you need a LEASH. YOU are the kind of runaway Peggy Bundy who can suck a nuke to California.

The Rolling Stones are touring bigger bang, neo-con CUNTS. Green Day sang bangbang in Holiday, so when you see Whose Line Is It, think of something besides your stale crack unless you are up to CLEANING THE STANK OUT, but check that subway, no romance!

If you get nuked and live, all the hair falls off stanky! But then you die. Aw. CONSERVATIVE and LIBERAL are both deadly. But you conservatives get to move it or we all lose it. Want to argue? You'll get in a FIGHT, and damn, I love girlfights if it focuses issues, so you hit Hilary and see if she smartens up or if that proves anything.

ELVIS
09-12-2005, 09:43 PM
This thread sure is on topic...:rolleyes:

fryingdutchman
09-13-2005, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
This thread sure is on topic...:rolleyes:

Any time bobgnote checks in you can pretty much expect a thread to spin clean off it's axis....

fryingdutchman
09-13-2005, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Katydid

Please don't refer to Kanye West as a "rock star."

Nothing could possibly be further from the truth. Whatever that shit he "performs" is called, it most certainly isn't rock.

David Lee Roth = Rock Star

Kanye West = ?????

Nitro Express
09-13-2005, 04:50 AM
Katrina is full of sadder stories than Sept. 11. The destruction is bad enough but it's hearing the horrid stories of how people were abused and seeing how the whole country is divided and the political infighting.

I hate hearing people say,"This is America, it shouldn't happen here." I feel like saying,"Wake up shitheads, yeah, everything bad that happens in other places in the world can happen here." America is rampant with drug abuse, broken homes, uneducated people, and numerouse other problems. We have made ourselves a third world country; especially in places like New Orleans. Yes, the shit can happen here, do we think we are immune from being stupid?

Phil theStalker
09-13-2005, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Yes, the shit can happen here, do we think we are immune from being stupid?
You're certainly not immune.:)

:spank:

DrMaddVibe
09-13-2005, 07:35 AM
They shoot horses, don't they.