PDA

View Full Version : I know the Supreme Court isn't a fucking pipefitter's union

ODShowtime
09-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Am I the only one who's a little freaked out by this? Is there any precedent to nominating someone with only a few years experience to be the Chief Justice? From the article below it looks like Marshall was similar.

Roberts Vows to Be a Humble Chief Justice

By DAVID ESPO, AP Special Correspondent
57 minutes ago

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050912/capt.wcap12609122216.roberts_wcap126.jpg?x=180&y=128&sig=R5nHU00CplaNVjJGg.23qQ--

WASHINGTON - Supreme Court nominee John Roberts pledged Monday to judge with humility and "without fear or favor" if approved as the nation's 17th chief justice and youngest in 200 years. "I have no agenda," he told the Senate Judiciary Committee at the opening of confirmation hearings.

"I have no platform. Judges are not politicians who can promise to do certain things in exchange for votes," said the 50-year-old appeals court judge and former Reagan administration lawyer, picked by President Bush to succeed the late Chief Justice William Rehnquist.

He added, "Judges are like umpires. Umpires don't make the rules; they apply them."

Roberts sat ramrod straight in his chair in the crowded, ornate Senate Caucus Room through several hours of preliminary speeches by committee members before his turn came to speak. A pad of white paper and pencil placed in front of him went unused.

Even before he cleared his throat to speak at midafternoon, Republicans and Democrats on the committee sparred in anticipation of several days of questioning that lie ahead.

"It is not undignified to ask the nominee questions he would rather not answer, should he prefer to remain inscrutable, or worse yet, all things to all people," said Sen. Russell Feingold, D-Wis. Several Democrats on the committee, mindful of the conservative positions Roberts took in legal memoranda written while working in the Reagan White House, said they intended to probe his views on issues such as abortion and civil rights.

"Don't take the bait," Sen. John Cornyn (news, bio, voting record), R-Texas, advised Roberts. "Decline to answer any question you feel would compromise your ability to do your job," he added, saying that has been the practice of nominees appointed by presidents of both parties.

The debate over the permissible limits of questioning masked deeper difference as the committee began hearings for the first Supreme Court nominee in 11 years.

"The central issue before us in these hearings is whether the Supreme Court will preserve the gains of the past, and protect the rights that are indispensable to a modern, more competitive, more equal America," said Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (news, bio, voting record), D-Mass., a liberal Northeasterner with more than four decades in office.

Speaking several minutes later from the other side of the committee dais, Sen. Lindsey Graham (news, bio, voting record), R-S.C., rebutted forcefully. "To me the central issue is whether or not the Senate will allow President Bush to appoint a strict constructionist to the Supreme Court," said the first-term Southern conservative.

Republicans said in advance the answer to Graham's question was yes — and Democrats did not disagree that Roberts was on track for confirmation barring an unexpected turn of events.

Committee approval seemed assured, possibly by party-line vote, according to several GOP officials. They said they hoped Roberts would pick up the support of some Democrats when his nomination reaches the full Senate. Majority Republicans intend to press for a final vote before the court opens its new term on Oct. 3.

The opening act of the confirmation drama played out in a room with history etched into its magnificent interior marble columns. Watergate hearings were held in the same Senate Caucus Room three decades ago. So, too, the stormy hearings for Robert Bork, whose nomination to the Supreme Court was defeated in 1987, and the stormier hearings that resulted in Clarence Thomas' approval in 1991.

"As chairman, I am committed to conducting a full, fair and dignified hearing," said Arlen Specter, R-Pa., the committee's chairman shortly before he brought down the gavel to open the proceedings.

There was no dissent about the stakes.

"The balance and direction of the court are now at issue with two vacancies," said Sen. Patrick Leahy (news, bio, voting record) of Vermont, the senior Democrat on the panel.

Several lawmakers noted that if confirmed Roberts might serve for several decades as chief justice. Not since John Marshall, confirmed in 1801 at 45, has there been a younger chief. Rehnquist, a mentor and the man Roberts would replace, was 80 when he died last week after struggling against thyroid cancer.

Roberts' youthfulness was underscored when he entered the committee room followed by his two young children clinging close to his wife. There was Josie, 5, and Jack, 4, who was displaying his trademark rambunctiousness, first evident the night he squirmed his way through a White House appearance when Bush named Roberts for the high court.

For his part, Roberts may hold a record of sorts — nominated to succeed two different justices in a matter of weeks. Bush originally named him to succeed retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Connor in July. Rehnquist's death this month led to a quick shuffle, and Roberts now seeks confirmation as chief justice while O'Connor will remain on the court until the president selects a new replacement.

Roberts spoke for less than 10 minutes — and without notes, as befit a lawyer whose specialty once was thinking on his feet by answering demanding questions from Supreme Court justices.

"If I am confirmed, I will confront every case with an open mind. I will fully and fairly analyze the legal arguments that are presented. I will be open to the considered views of my colleagues on the bench. And I will decide every case based on the record, according to the rule of law, without fear or favor, to the best of my ability," he said.

Judges must have the "humility to recognize that they operate within a system of precedent ... the modesty to be open in the decisional process to the considered views of their colleagues on the bench," he added.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050912/ap_on_go_su_co/roberts_28;_ylt=AsULOEWXKpE9sfRK7HfbIBtuCM0A;_ylu= X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

BigBadBrian
09-12-2005, 08:04 PM
Umm.....no.

I'm not freaked out.

Roberts will be the HMFIC of the SCOTUS for almost 30 years.

That's why he was picked.

:gulp:

FORD
09-12-2005, 08:11 PM
A guy who's only been a judge for 2 years is simply NOT QUALIFIED to be Chief Justice of ANY court. Let alone the Supreme Court.

But then, given the world's most unqualified pResident and his typical unqualified appointments (i.e. "Brownie") it's hardly a fucking surprise.

ODShowtime
09-12-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Umm.....no.

I'm not freaked out.

Roberts will be the HMFIC of the SCOTUS for almost 30 years.

That's why he was picked.

But he's only been a judge for two or three years.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/19/AR2005071900870.html#biography

Judging from some of gw's other appointees, I just have to wonder. How can we trust anyone he appoints?

Warham
09-12-2005, 09:02 PM
Roberts has an impecable record and will make a fine Chief Justice.

FORD
09-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Roberts has an impecable record and will make a fine Chief Justice.

Impeccable record?

Really?

Part of the problem is that he has virtually NO record at all. Which isn't surprising for a guy who has been a judge only 2 years.

What his actual "record" consists of is regular involvement in BCE crimes from Iran Contra to the Florida election fraud to the 9-11 coverup to the present.

Or in other words another incompetent BCE flunkie getting a promotion he doesn't remotely deserve.

Wonder what the judicial equivalent of New Orleans will be?

Warham
09-13-2005, 07:02 AM
Yep, it's impeccable.

And that's the reason the liberals can't stand it. They can't find anything in his record to take him to task over.

DrMaddVibe
09-13-2005, 07:37 AM
Poor bitter Ford.

You'll never know a happy day in your life carrying all the baggage you do.

I bet you don't have many friends. Who would want to hang around a doom and gloom person?

Warham
09-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Roberts is taking it to these senators today.

He's running rings around Ted Kennedy, Joe Biden and Chuckie Schumer.

ODShowtime
09-13-2005, 10:16 PM
Roberts is taking it to these senators today.

He's running rings around Ted Kennedy, Joe Biden and Chuckie Schumer.

oooh it's really hard to say "no comment"

DrMaddVibe
09-14-2005, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
oooh it's really hard to say "no comment"

When talking with Ted Kennedy, Joe Biden and Chuck Schumer saying "No Comment" is like saying the word "A" or "The". It's always in the mix. It's like breathing(well,except for Teddy!)you don't have to think about it, it's involuntary. Besides, those moron senators don't deserve the time of day or a more dignified response!

Warham
09-14-2005, 07:36 AM
These senators are pseudo intellectuals with their piles of memos and notes in front of them, and here's Roberts with no notes to refer to putting them all in their proper place, being bitter about not having a lifetime appointment to the Senate. ;)

Warham
09-14-2005, 07:56 AM
I have to say I've been riveted by the confirmation hearings. I feel that I'm getting smarter just by listening to Roberts. Sort of like judicial osmosis. lol

FORD
09-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Satan documented yesterday's proceedings in the cartoon thread ;)

ODShowtime
09-14-2005, 07:47 PM
I feel that I'm getting smarter just by listening to Roberts.

whatever it's gonna take, you know? :D

Warham
09-15-2005, 07:07 AM

Well, I've already been a pseudo-intellectual for years, but this might actually make me a REAL intellectual. hehe.

DrMaddVibe
09-15-2005, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Satan documented yesterday's proceedings in the cartoon thread ;)

So?

Fuck Satan!

DrMaddVibe
09-15-2005, 07:42 AM

FORD
09-15-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
So?

Fuck Satan!

I don't think you're his type.

DrMaddVibe
09-15-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I don't think.

Well, you're 1/2 right!

BigBadBrian
09-16-2005, 09:44 AM
I have to say I've been riveted by the confirmation hearings. I feel that I'm getting smarter just by listening to Roberts. Sort of like judicial osmosis. lol

Agreed.

Alberto Gonzalez will be the next nominee also.

Just watch.

I learned that on FOX this morning. :D

Of course, CNN concurred, as did MSNBC....etc.

Warham
09-16-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Agreed.

Alberto Gonzalez will be the next nominee also.

Just watch.

I learned that on FOX this morning. :D

Of course, CNN concurred, as did MSNBC....etc.

I think Bush is going to pick a diehard conservative WOMAN as the next nominee. Somebody said at the hearings that this current selection was between Roberts and a female. I can see Bush picking that female for the next nominee.

That way, the Democrats on the committee are going to be squirming, because if they vote against a woman they'll be going against part of their base (NOW), and Democrats have ALWAYS been for women's rights :rolleyes:.

ODShowtime
09-16-2005, 07:08 PM
it'll be great!