PDA

View Full Version : Bush Takes Responsibility For Slow Katrina Response

blueturk
09-13-2005, 06:38 PM
Political damage control or what may very well be the first time Bush has admitted a mistake?

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-ushurr0914,0,2363055.story?coll=ny-homepage-bigpix2005

Bush takes responsibility for slow hurricane response

By David Zucchino and Solomon Moore
Times Staff Writers

September 13, 2005, 12:59 PM EDT

NEW ORLEANS -- President Bush today accepted responsibility for the weak federal response to the Hurricane Katrina disaster.

At a Washington news conference with Iraqi President Jalal Talabani, Bush acknowledged that the federal government has been blamed for a slow and inadequate response to the killer hurricane that hit the Gulf Coast Aug. 29.

"Katrina exposed serious problems in our response capability at all levels of government. And to the extent that the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility," the president said.

It was the strongest statement of responsibility from the White House since the hurricane crisis began and initial relief efforts were sharply criticized by officials in hard-hit New Orleans and Louisiana. Michael Brown was forced to step down as director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

The public's dissatisfaction with the federal storm response dragged Bush's job approval rating to the lowest level of his presidency at 42%, a Washington Post/ABC News poll reported. Some 57% disapprove of Bush's performance in office, a double-digit increase since January, the survey found.

Today, Bush was asked whether the federal response to Katrina should worry Americans that their government isn't prepared to respond to another disaster or even a terrorist attack.

"That's a very important question, and it's in our national interest that we find out exactly what went on so that we can better respond," Bush said.

As he has before, Bush said he wanted to know what went wrong and what went right. "I'm not going to defend the process going in," Bush said. "I am going to defend the people saving lives."

He again praised relief workers at all levels. "I want people in America to understand how hard people worked to save lives down there," he said.

Bush will address the nation from Louisiana on Thursday evening, the White House announced today. It will be the fourth presidential trip to the hurricane-damaged Gulf Coast.

Bush spoke after R. David Paulison, the new acting director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, pledged to increase efforts to house the tens of thousands of evacuees who fled the storm.

"We're going to get people out of the shelters. We're going to move on and get them the help they need," Paulison told reporters in his first public comments since he was appointed.

Hundreds of thousands of people have fled to shelters in states across the country. Texas has about 250,000 in shelters and private housing.

Meanwhile, New Orleans awaited the opening of the airport and the waterfront today as authorities investigated the deaths of about 45 patients found in a flooded hospital.

The exact number of bodies recovered Sunday from the 317-bed Memorial Medical Center was unclear. A state official said the corpses of 45 patients were found; a hospital administrator said there were 44, plus three on the grounds.

The discovery raised Louisiana's official death toll to nearly 280, though officials have put the final count in the thousands. In Mississippi, the estimated toll is at more than 1,000 with about 200 bodies already recovered.

Paulison has a loyal following of firefighters in Florida, where as Miami-Dade County's fire chief he is remembered for pressing for aid for 400 firefighters whose homes were destroyed or damaged during Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

"He got a good baptism with Andrew," said Dominick Barbera, a vice president of the International Assn. of Firefighters. "He's going to step into a real hot box now."

In his letter of resignation to Bush, Brown, 50, said he was leaving "to avoid further distraction from the ongoing mission of FEMA." Brown had become a pincushion for critics of the Bush administration's storm response and was accused in recent news reports of exaggerating his emergency experience on his official resume.

Housing remains a critical issue. FEMA is barreling ahead with plans to create huge trailer-park cities — complete with schools and security. "This may not be on the scale of building the pyramids, but it's close," said Brad Gair, FEMA's disaster-area housing chief.

DLRDUDE
09-13-2005, 08:48 PM
Whether you like Bush or not and want to blame the slow response time on him or FEMA the bottom line was FEMA was given 48 hours to be there and the reason being was the safety of FEMA. Now Bush stating he thought Mike Brown was doing a good job I don't know where that came from but people blaming the federal gov't is B.S. It all begins with the local and state gov't. Nagin is the biggest hypocrite I've heard in quite some time. "Bush hates black people" Looks like he and the governor of La. are most to blame. Nagin...that dumbass even said before the cane hit was we've been lucky in the past.Where's the protocal? Where's the fucking plan when they were told it would hit dead on as a category 5. Get the fuck out! He wants to point a finger at everyone but himself. Lucky for him he's got the inept governor of La. backing up his claims. FEMA's a mop up committee. The Federal Gov't is a money source for stricken areas to rebuild. It's Louisiana's responsibility for the lives of their people. That's why they make their own laws. That's why some states have the death penalty and others don't. They're their own governing body. Just my opinion.

Cathedral
09-13-2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by DLRDUDE
Whether you like Bush or not and want to blame the slow response time on him or FEMA the bottom line was FEMA was given 48 hours to be there and the reason being was the safety of FEMA. Now Bush stating he thought Mike Brown was doing a good job I don't know where that came from but people blaming the federal gov't is B.S. It all begins with the local and state gov't. Nagin is the biggest hypocrite I've heard in quite some time. "Bush hates black people" Looks like he and the governor of La. are most to blame. Nagin...that dumbass even said before the cane hit was we've been lucky in the past.Where's the protocal? Where's the fucking plan when they were told it would hit dead on as a category 5. Get the fuck out! He wants to point a finger at everyone but himself. Lucky for him he's got the inept governor of La. backing up his claims. FEMA's a mop up committee. The Federal Gov't is a money source for stricken areas to rebuild. It's Louisiana's responsibility for the lives of their people. That's why they make their own laws. That's why some states have the death penalty and others don't. They're their own governing body. Just my opinion.

Awesome post, agreed 100%.

Satan
09-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Even Elvis (a Republican) said that Nagin was taking the rap for too much of this. I'm assuming he knows the local politics a little better than the Busheep who are merely repeating the RoveSpin of "blame anybody but Bush"

Incidentally, if the mayor of NO and the governor of LA are to blame, then why not the governor of Mississipi or the mayor of Biloxi?

Maybe because they're Republicans?

blueturk
09-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Nobody's saying that Nagin or Blanco aren't fuck-ups, but that's not the point. The local, state, AND federal levels all have some blame here. The point of Bush's National Response Plan was for all these different levels of government to work together. Obviously, it didn't work out that way. If I were capable of admiring Dubya, I'd almost admire him for admitting that.

http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=17184

Homeland Security Under Secretary Kicks Off National Response Plan Workshops In D.C.
Brown Details Plan’s Focus on Coordinated Response to Disasters, Incidents of Terrorism

Release Date: April 15, 2005
Release Number: FNF-05-07

WASHINGTON, DC -- Today, Michael D. Brown, Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Emergency Preparedness and Response and Director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, announced details of President George W. Bush’s new National Response Plan (NRP) to federal, state and local officials. Under Secretary Brown’s remarks to the Washington, D.C. National Response Plan workshop kicked off the first of seven NRP workshops to be held nationwide.

“The goal of the National Response Plan and those working to support it is to make America safer, stronger and more prepared; and there has never been a more important time for these objectives than now,” Brown said. “The guiding principles of the National Response Plan are that we are more effective when we are unified and we are smarter when we are coordinated.”

National Response Plan workshops promote understanding of the NRP among federal, state and local emergency managers and officials. Six similar NRP workshops will be held in Seattle, Houston, New York, Miami, Chicago and Los Angeles over the next two months.

President George Bush directed the development of the National Response Plan in Homeland Security Presidential Directive Number 5, in February 2003. The National Response Plan forms the basis for how the federal government will coordinate with state, local and tribal governments and the private sector during the response to a national incident.

The Plan takes the best practices from a range of incident management disciplines including: homeland security, emergency management, law enforcement, firefighting, public works, public health and the private sector and integrates them into one unified structure. This unified structure provides the ability to coordinate federal support to state, local and tribal incident managers.

The NRP works to help:

Save lives and protect the health and safety of the public, responders, and recovery workers;
Ensure security of the homeland;
Prevent an imminent incident, including acts of terrorism, from occurring;
Protect and restore critical infrastructure and key resources;
Conduct law enforcement investigations to resolve the incident, apprehend the perpetrators, and collect and preserve evidence for prosecution and/or attribution;
Protect property and mitigate damages and impacts to individuals, communities, and the environment; and
Facilitate recovery of individuals, families, businesses, governments, and the environment.
President George Bush’s Homeland Security Presidential Directive Number 5 also ordered the development of the National Incident Management System (in addition to the National Response Plan), which brings together federal, state, local and tribal emergency responders into a single system for managing incidents. The National Incident Management System enables responders at all levels to work together more effectively to manage domestic incidents no matter what the cause, size or complexity.
The National Response Plan and the National Incident Management System are being introduced to emergency responders nationwide through a comprehensive education system that includes web-based and classroom training.

For more on the National Response Plan and the National Incident Management System, visit: http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/interapp/editorial/editorial_0566.xml.

FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. FEMA also initiates mitigation activities, trains first responders, works with state and local emergency managers, and manages the National Flood Insurance Program and the U.S. Fire Administration. FEMA became part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security on March 1, 2003.

rustoffa
09-13-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Satan
Even Elvis (a Republican) said that Nagin was taking the rap for too much of this. I'm assuming he knows the local politics a little better than the Busheep who are merely repeating the RoveSpin of "blame anybody but Bush"

Incidentally, if the mayor of NO and the governor of LA are to blame, then why not the governor of Mississipi or the mayor of Biloxi?

This right here could bring the BARCODES© out.

Nothing says oncoming TRIBULATION like double-talkin' jive from Satan.

He's fucking flanking y'all and backing the generals' gathered in their masses.

*See Mayhem*
:(

ELVIS
09-14-2005, 12:22 AM
Hahaha...

:elvis:

Cathedral
09-14-2005, 02:11 AM

I know i didn't say, "Blame anyone but Bush!", wasn't me, nope.
I know where Elvis lives and he knows that Nagin could have done a hell of a lot more than he even thought of doing.
It's a cluster fuck of mass destruction top to bottom.

My problem is with the folks who say, "Nobody but Bush!"
That shit ain't fair, and accountability for each part people played is what concerns me so shit like this doesn't happen again, anywhere.

Everyone can get their hands on Bush, but you gotta get them all, don't discriminate and be all partisan -n- shit.
Be fair in your finger pointing, there is a line of people to point it at.

FORD
09-14-2005, 02:20 AM
At least they haven't tried to blame this on Clinton's penis.

.....yet.

Cathedral
09-14-2005, 02:35 AM
My little secret about all the Clinton/Lewinski shit is that i could imagine me sitting there and thinking, "It would be cool to take a bitch right here on this desk".

Now all political bullshit aside, the man got head in the oval office...talk about a club with a limited member list, lol.

Sure it's perverted in a way, and he could have gotten a prettier chick that didn't talk so much, naturally, but when all is said and done, he's got that notch on his dip stick, lol.

DrMaddVibe
09-14-2005, 06:36 AM
This just in....

Bush has accepted responsibility for Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.

Now back to our regular scheduled broadcast.

Warham
09-14-2005, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by FORD

.....yet.

It's ITs fault as well. ;)

DrMaddVibe
09-14-2005, 07:43 AM
Depends on what your defination of "its" is!

blueturk
09-14-2005, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Depends on what your defination of "its" is!

Yeah, Clinton sure came up with some stupid shit!

"So please give cash money to organizations that are directly involved in helping save lives — save the life who had been affected by Hurricane Katrina." —George W. Bush, Washington D.C., Sept. 6, 2005

"I can't wait to join you in the joy of welcoming neighbors back into neighborhoods, and small businesses up and running, and cutting those ribbons that somebody is creating new jobs." —George W. Bush, Poplarville, Miss., Sept. 5, 2005

"We've got a lot of rebuilding to do. First, we're going to save lives and stabilize the situation. And then we're going to help these communities rebuild. The good news is -- and it's hard for some to see it now -- that out of this chaos is going to come a fantastic Gulf Coast, like it was before. Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott's house -- he's lost his entire house -- there's going to be a fantastic house. And I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch." (Laughter) --George W. Bush, touring hurricane damage, Mobile, Ala., Sept. 2, 2005

"It's totally wiped out. ... It's devastating, it's got to be doubly devastating on the ground." —George W. Bush, turning to his aides while surveying Hurricane Katrina flood damage from Air Force One , Aug. 31, 2005

Warham
09-14-2005, 08:03 AM
I'm glad we are giving Clinton the credit he deserves for being such a genius.

scamper
09-14-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by FORD

.....yet.

Where was his penis when all this was going down?

Vinnie Velvet
09-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Warham
I'm glad we are giving Clinton the credit he deserves for being such a genius.

He was a genius with his penis.

:D

Northern Girl
09-14-2005, 11:32 AM
:D

ODShowtime
09-14-2005, 07:28 PM
And to the extent that the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility," the president said.
http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=696132

BIZARRO

4moreyears
09-17-2005, 08:26 AM

Well if Elvis said it it must be true!!! Dumb Fuck!!!