PDA

View Full Version : Boy died 'imitating Depp role'

Soul Reaper
09-17-2005, 07:25 AM
Boy died 'imitating Depp role'

Scott Buckle had a talent for acting, the inquest heard
A 12-year-old boy accidentally killed himself as he tried to imitate Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean, an inquest has heard.
Scott Buckle, from Swansea, enjoyed watching the video of the Hollywood blockbuster on the night he died last February, his mother said.

She said Scott apparently hanged himself as he copied a scene in which Depp's character escapes a noose.

A verdict of accidental death was recorded at the hearing in Swansea.

Wednesday's inquest heard evidence that Scott had previously been treated for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, a condition whose symptoms include an unawareness of danger and an inability to appreciate risk.

Scott, who had been in care, had been adopted at seven by senior social worker Fiona Buckle and her husband, the inquest heard.

Mrs Buckle told the inquest how the tragedy had happened after they had watched a video of Pirates of the Caribbean together that evening.

A consultant psychiatrist at Morriston Hospital in the city, Dr John Talbot, also told the inquest that Scott's background made it likely he would have identified with the anti-hero figure Jack Sparrow which Depp portrays.

Speaking after the hearing, Swansea coroner Philip Rogers said Dr Talbot had described the hanging scene in the movie as not particularly horrific.

Scott had been imitating Depp in his swashbuckling role

"It gave you the impression that somebody could escape from such circumstances," said Mr Rogers.

"When Johnny Depp's character was hanged in the film he does manage to escape by balancing on something. We know this boy was prone to imitate things."

Mrs Buckle told the inquest that Scott "felt invincible and was not aware of risks," the coroner explained.

"She gave an example that he was unaware of the risk of walking along the top of a 15ft boundary wall shared with a neighbour. He seemed oblivious to the risk," said Mr Rogers.

He said the death was all the more tragic because Scott appeared to have overcome the inevitable problems stemming from his earliest years in care.

The Bishop Gore Comprehensive School pupil had a talent for acting and had recently been to a film audition. He had also discussed attending a drama school summer camp in America.

Describing the death as "a very sad case", the coroner said Scott had had no history of depression and had enjoyed a good day in school before watching Pirates of the Caribbean with his mother.

"Although the boy had had a lot of problems in his life he had seemingly made excellent progress with his adopted parents.

Dave's Bitch
09-17-2005, 08:12 AM
thats umm sad

twonabomber
09-17-2005, 10:35 AM
don't blame the movie, blame the parents.

fryingdutchman
09-19-2005, 04:45 AM
See what happens when Scott Buckle tries to swashbuckle?

fryingdutchman
09-19-2005, 04:46 AM
Probably accidental auto-erotic asphyxiation....and another cover-up story to go along with it.

Isn't that how all the cool kids are dying these days? They like to play the "choking game" where they get off on cutting off their oxygen?

Only some of them don't make it back....

Susie Q
09-19-2005, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by twonabomber
don't blame the movie, blame the parents.

amen.:o

Hardrock69
09-19-2005, 10:32 AM
There was an item on CNN a few weeks back where they talked about teens cutting off their oxygen as a cheap means of "getting high", and of course they focused on two families whose teen-aged kids did not survive....

Soul Reaper
09-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
There was an item on CNN a few weeks back where they talked about teens cutting off their oxygen as a cheap means of "getting high", and of course they focused on two families whose teen-aged kids did not survive....

they're not going to focus on kids that survived because the news people hardly never focus on good things....mostly the bad things...

Nitro Express
09-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Kids die all the time doing dumb shit. It got so bad when I lived in Hong Kong, they outlawed kung fu movies because too many kids were killing themselves trying to do the movie stunts.

lesfunk
09-19-2005, 01:52 PM
It's called " Thinning the herd."

bueno bob
09-19-2005, 03:48 PM
When's the sequel to that coming out, anyway?

I'm tired of Johnny Depp/Tim Burton crap.

Mr Grimsdale
09-19-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by lesfunk
It's called " Thinning the herd."

Exactly exactly.

Nitro Express
09-20-2005, 03:49 AM
I never got the appeal of Johnny Depp. I hated his fucking pirate character in the Disneyride movie. It was obviouse he was trying to be Kieth Richards or some shit. The dude that played the captain of the Black Pearl was much better as a pirate. Depp is so overated.

thome
09-20-2005, 04:12 AM
All depp movie characters seem to be a gay fag type homo fag thing.

Mr Grimsdale
09-20-2005, 03:11 PM
...and yet he gets to have filthy muck muck with vanessa paradis

Cathedral
09-21-2005, 01:09 AM
I was looking for the hook about suing someone for wrongful death.

I wonder if the kid at any point said, "Mom, where is the rope?"

Soul Reaper
09-21-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
When's the sequel to that coming out, anyway?

I'm tired of Johnny Depp/Tim Burton crap.

Isn't he doing something called a stop motion Ghost Story with him as well...he seems to be spending TOO much time with him...

bueno bob
09-21-2005, 12:46 PM
The gayest role he ever had was Glenn in the original Nightmare On Elm Street.

Anybody who WASN'T fucking Heather Langenkamp was obviously gay.

Soul Reaper
09-21-2005, 12:52 PM
say no more!

bueno bob
09-21-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
say no more!

God damn...when I was, like, 10-19 I wanted her ass in the WORST possible way...still kinda do, but don't tell me wife, lol...

bueno bob
09-21-2005, 01:09 PM
Heather Langenkamp is, like, 80% of what made Nightmare 1, 3 and 7 watchable...

Soul Reaper
09-21-2005, 01:14 PM
Heather Langenkamp is, like, 80% of what made Nightmare 1, 3 and 7 watchable...

did Dokken do the soundtrack to Dream Warriors?!

I'm just guessing....because of their 'Dream Warriors' song....

bueno bob
09-21-2005, 01:15 PM
Yup, 'twas Dokken.

Soul Reaper
09-21-2005, 01:17 PM
Oh god, no!

bueno bob
09-21-2005, 01:17 PM
When the summer time comes around...

Soul Reaper
09-21-2005, 01:18 PM
The only redeeming factor of that song is that George Lynch is playing guitars on it....

bueno bob
09-21-2005, 01:18 PM
And the sun beats down...and everybody wears a little less clothes...

bueno bob
09-21-2005, 01:19 PM
And you put your arms around your honey, the sweet...and you say...

OOOH, YOU'RE WHAT I NEED!!!!

Soul Reaper
09-21-2005, 01:19 PM
a 'lil ain't enough....

bueno bob
09-21-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
The only redeeming factor of that song is that George Lynch is playing guitars on it....

Hunh?

Oh! Yeah, Dokken! Sorry, I got...ahem..."distracted".

:)

Soul Reaper
09-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Hunh?

Oh! Yeah, Dokken! Sorry, I got...ahem..."distracted".

:)

indeed you did....that's 5 Jedi Points off you...