PDA

View Full Version : Best Album of 1970.

WARF
09-18-2005, 01:29 AM
Lots of classic Albums to choose from!

WARF
09-18-2005, 01:35 AM
I had to go with the beatles final album.

MAX
09-18-2005, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by WARF
I had to go with the beatles final album.

Abbey Road was actually released a year prior. ;) :p

MAX
09-18-2005, 01:38 AM
Fuckin' A '71 (The year of my birth) is loaded with CLASSICS!!!

Sticky Fingers, Zep IV, Who's Next, etc... Should be good.

WARF
09-18-2005, 01:40 AM
Yeah, but this was the final studio album.

Unchainme
09-18-2005, 01:41 AM
i'll go with Sabbath, The band that truly helped start Heavy Metal, Zeppelin and The Beatles in a close 2nd though.

MAX
09-18-2005, 01:43 AM
Let it Be was actually recorded before Abbey Road. It was just released afterwords.

You know what else is going to be a stellar year for albums? '73.

Houses of the Holy, Dark Side of the Moon, Quadrophenia, etc.

Cannot wait to see what happens? :cool:

Little Texan
09-18-2005, 02:02 AM
Much better than the 2000's for sure! Most music is shit nowadays.

WARF
09-18-2005, 02:05 AM
Once again, i'm sorry if I fuck the polls up.

I only get 10 options.

MAX
09-18-2005, 02:14 AM
I vote for The Who's "Live at Leeds" as my "other" option. Fuckin' STELLAR record and one of (if not) the BEST live albums ever!!! People often overlook at this classic gem by The Who's contribution to what eventually became "Heavy Metal." Fuckin' Daltrey was doin' classic mid 70's Plant live on here before Robert was. lol. The way they rocked out both versions of "Summertime Blues" and "Young Man Blues" were fuckin' blueprints for what would eventually become metal. I cannot say enough about this record. :killer:

Even if one doesn't "get" or like The Who, this tis' a MUST listen.

Unchainme
09-18-2005, 02:19 AM
Anyone want me to post this Zeppelin Vs. The Who thing from I Love the 70's? I love that show.

Unchainme
09-18-2005, 02:26 AM
I also have a couple sections of the same show From Years 77, 78 and 79 where they play CVH songs.

You Really Got Me played during them talking about the Son of Sam killings

Jamie's Cryin's played during when they talked about Halloween.

Light Up The Sky played during them talking about the scene in Superman where he spins the world back in time.

(Sorry I know this off topic, Just curious If anyone was intrested.)

MAX
09-18-2005, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Unchainme
Anyone want me to post this Zeppelin Vs. The Who thing from I Love the 70's? I love that show.

Bro,

Take some initiative and just post it and/or start a thread. :cool:

This place tis' just as much yours as it is anyone elses. If you have a thread idea, go for it mang.

Like the old Nike slogan goes...

JUST DO IT :)

Unchainme
09-18-2005, 03:04 AM
Ok I'm Uploading it right now, I will post a link.

Unchainme
09-18-2005, 03:09 AM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=287ZYJWM

here ya go.

Golden AWe
09-18-2005, 05:07 AM
For me it's a very, very tough call between BS, LZ, PF and The Beatles...The Morrison Hotel is good too...few amazing tracks on that album..."Atom Heart Mother" by PF, definetely not their most commercial album, but a superb one..."Summer '68", one of the best tracks they ever did...

UGH, I voted for Black Sabbath but I must say I should've voted for LZ III!!!

Wawazat
09-18-2005, 05:13 AM
Zep III

Band Of Gypsys 2nd

blueturk
09-18-2005, 06:45 AM
What the hell is Elvis Presley doing in the list? I wonder who voted for THAT one...:rolleyes:

Jérôme Frenchise
09-18-2005, 08:39 AM
Led Zep III was the best record IMO. But there were so many masterpieces that year... The other 9, though "Let it be" was not the best legacy for the Beatles (Abbey Road fits a lot better for that matter)...
I really dig the 8... Here are a few other albums that could have been mentioned (knowing WARF says he can only choose 10, so tough considering the amount of talents and inspiration there were back then):

- CCR: Willie and the poor boys (my fave CCR album, their ultimate gem IMO);

- I second MAX concerning THE WHO's Live at Leeds (the best live released in 1970 IMO);

- ROLLING STONES: Get yer ya ya's out (the Stones were in top shape then, Keith and Mick Taylor played "in separate rooms" but sounded so great)... "Charlie's good tonight, ain't he...":);

- STEPPENWOLF: Live (another 1970 milestone that can't be ignored... "Don't step on the grass, Sam"...:));

- CACTUS: Cactus (not as grand, but a great wild record anyway, Bogert/Appice on bass and drums...);

-JAMES BROWN: Sex Machine ("recorded live at home...", unbeatable stuff in its kind :cool: );

- DEEP PURPLE: In Rock (my second fave after Led Zeppelin III... "In Rock" is their toughest and "deepest" IMO);

- J. GEILS BAND: J. Geils Band (one of my fave groups; not their best but already great and wild - recorded live in the studio...);

- The PRETTY THINGS: Parachute (one of my fave albums ever... the twilight of the sixties, a kind of 13-track suite full of sublime voice harmonies, highly inspired and varied compositions, splendid guitar parts, both electric and accoustic - the English are the best in the world as far as recording accoustic guitars I think);

- THE STOOGES: Funhouse (the wildest and most original recording back in those days IMO; get the recent 2-CD re-release, it's a must!!).

Studio recordings: 1) Led Zeppelin III; 2) "In Rock" (...).
Live recordings: 1) "Live at Leeds"; 2) "Band of Gypsys"; 3) "Get yer ya ya's out"...
:)

Matt White
09-18-2005, 09:32 AM
ZEP III

Showed they could play ANY style of music...and play it EXCEPTIONALLY well.

"And all the fish that lay in dirty water dyin'.........."

theicecreamman
09-18-2005, 10:14 AM
Black Sabbath's Paranoid

Mr. Vengeance
09-18-2005, 11:43 AM
I can't even begin to choose from this great era of music...There are tons of albums not even on the list. '70 was the year for Paul McCartney's solo debut, George Harrison's All Things Must Pass, Lennon's Plastic Ono Band...Stones Live Ya ya's Out...shit, I have to think about this one.

Mr Badguy
09-18-2005, 02:06 PM
Deep Purple "In rock".

You have totally underrated the importance of this album in the development of Heavy Metal by not including it in the poll.

It is as important as any Sabbath or Zeppelin album.

Dave's Bitch
09-18-2005, 02:48 PM
gotta go with Black Sabbath - Paranoid

degüello
09-18-2005, 09:07 PM
Man, that's a tough list to choose from...

degüello
09-18-2005, 09:09 PM
Had to go with Zep.

Rikk
09-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
- THE STOOGES: Funhouse (the wildest and most original recording back in those days IMO; get the recent 2-CD re-release, it's a must!!).

Glad to see someone mention this one. Right at this moment, it's my favorite album from 1970.

That said, I put MORRISON HOTEL in my poll answer.

Matt White
09-18-2005, 09:18 PM
STELLAR year....

ATOM HEART MOTHER, COSMO'S FACTORY, AFTER THE GOLD RUSH & BAND OF GYPSYS......

Kinda like the appreciation thread (started by a considerate Mod....)

Good place for the youngsters to find some EXCELLENT musical choices........

Rikk
09-18-2005, 09:27 PM
I would also like to include HENDRIX's FIRST RAYS OF THE FIRST RISING SUN. That album (as it now exists) wasn't released as a single full package until 1997, and the songs from it didn't start coming out until 1971's CRY OF LOVE. But Hendrix recorded the majority of it in Electric Lady Studios in the summer of 1970 and died that September. It's easily one of the biggest musical accomplishments of 1970. Joplin's final album, PEARL, also was recorded that summer (before her death in early October 1970).

WARF
09-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by blueturk
What the hell is Elvis Presley doing in the list? I wonder who voted for THAT one...:rolleyes:

LOL, I'm not much of an Elvis fan... but I thought this was his best album of the 70's.... although only 6 tracks are from the studio.

Rikk
09-19-2005, 12:03 AM
Who's dissing ELVIS?:mad: ELVIS is fucking awesome. And that album and ELVIS COUNTRY are both classic ELVIS.

His version of BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER is a real classic.

ben halen
09-19-2005, 12:19 AM
Gotta go with Zep III, but Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs is very close.

What a great time for music.

Jérôme Frenchise
09-19-2005, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
I would also like to include HENDRIX's FIRST RAYS OF THE FIRST RISING SUN. That album (as it now exists) wasn't released as a single full package until 1997, and the songs from it didn't start coming out until 1971's CRY OF LOVE. But Hendrix recorded the majority of it in Electric Lady Studios in the summer of 1970 and died that September. It's easily one of the biggest musical accomplishments of 1970. Joplin's final album, PEARL, also was recorded that summer (before her death in early October 1970).

Damn right, Rikk! FIRST RAYS OF THE NEW RISING SUN, just like ARE YOU EXPERIENCED? and, above all, AXIS: BOLD AS LOVE and ELECTRIC LADYLAND, was - and still is - incredibly revolutionary as far as sound and production. Not to mention Jimi's incomparable skills. When I first listened to it I just couldn't believe my ears: how could anybody (it's amazing even coming from Hendrix) produce such an ample and powerful sound back in 1970...

kentuckyklira
09-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Free - Fire and Water

VonHalen
09-19-2005, 08:12 PM
Sabbath

Rikk
09-19-2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
Damn right, Rikk! FIRST RAYS OF THE NEW RISING SUN, just like ARE YOU EXPERIENCED? and, above all, AXIS: BOLD AS LOVE and ELECTRIC LADYLAND, was - and still is - incredibly revolutionary as far as sound and production. Not to mention Jimi's incomparable skills. When I first listened to it I just couldn't believe my ears: how could anybody (it's amazing even coming from Hendrix) produce such an ample and powerful sound back in 1970...

Sometimes FIRST RAYS is my favorite Hendrix album. STRAIGHT AHEAD, HEY BABY, IZABELLA, EARTH BLUES, FREEDOM, DOLLY DAGGER...these are all among my very favorite Hendrix songs.

DLR7884
09-20-2005, 11:21 AM
Zeppelin.

DLR&884
The 3rd album took them in a new direction.

thome
09-22-2005, 09:35 AM
Dude what were you thinkin .. all is good... but my head was here.

I didnt buy it till 73...... iwas 10 in 70...but my write in vote for 70

:)

thome
09-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Grand Funk & Pearl (thanks Rikk) two life and music changing albums.

I had forgotten Pearl I had that on 8 Track awsome.That womans voice still makes me wanna go some where and get stoned and fuk.