PDA

View Full Version : Liberals linking disaster response, national security policies

Nickdfresh
09-18-2005, 06:19 AM
Liberals linking disaster response, national security policies
By Charlie Savage, Globe Staff | September 17, 2005

WASHINGTON -- Liberal opponents of the Bush administration are moving quickly to link the Hurricane Katrina disaster with the White House's policies in the war on terrorism, seeking to exploit President Bush's concession this week that the national homeland security system he put in place after the 2001 attacks failed to live up to expectations.

The liberal group Moveon.org announced yesterday that it was launching a new campaign-style television ad attacking Bush's leadership, similar to its ''mis-leader" series from the 2004 election. The group said its goal was to undermine the very issue that the GOP used with success in the last two election cycles: its promise that Republican leadership would make America safer.

''We're trying to frame the debate," said Tom Matzzie, Washington director of Moveon.org. ''If Democrats and the progressive community start talking about protecting America, that will eat into a real historical strength of the Republicans, and hopefully . . . the country will change who's running Congress and the Democrats will come in with better policies."

The ad opens with a quote from Bush's speech Thursday from New Orleans: ''Four years after the frightening experience of September the 11th, Americans have every right to expect a more effective response in a time of emergency."

Then, a narrator says: ''Who said that? George Bush, after Hurricane Katrina. And 9/11 commissioners agree. . . . After all the promises, all the restructuring, all the money -- we're no safer today than we were four years ago. We're not being led. We're being misled."

Matzzie said the group bought about $100,000 worth of airtime to run the ad nationally on CNN for a week, starting next Tuesday. While Moveon.org has run issue ads about Iraq, Social Security, and bankruptcy legislation since the election, the new one is its first direct attack on Bush since 2004.

Erin Healy, a White House spokeswoman, responded to the ad by pointing to another passage from Bush's speech in New Orleans, in which he promised to make ''any necessary changes" after ''a comprehensive review" of the government's response to the hurricane.

''This government will learn the lessons of Hurricane Katrina," Bush said.

Katrina has clearly hurt Bush politically, at least in the short term. A Wall Street Journal/ NBC News poll this week indicated his approval ratings sank to 40 percent -- the lowest since he took office -- in the aftermath of the storm. Nearly 60 percent of those polled said they were unhappy with the administration's response to the hurricane. A poll released yesterday by The New York Times and CBS News indicated 48 percent disapproved of Bush's handling of Katrina.

After the president's speech in New Orleans, Senator John F. Kerry of Massachusetts, the 2004 Democratic presidential nominee, called the emergency-response problems ''inexcusable."

''Leadership isn't a speech or a toll-free number," Kerry said. ''Leadership is getting the job done."

© Copyright 2005 Globe Newspaper Company. (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2005/09/17/liberals_linking_disaster_response_national_securi ty_policies/)

Well, it's only logical. Anything this Administration touches turns to shit.:)

DrMaddVibe
09-18-2005, 08:43 AM
That's because that's all you can do!

Bitch,moan,gripe,complain and cry.

America sees through liberals!
http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27402

Warham
09-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Liberals are going to attack Bush for at least through the next two Republican administrations.

Nickdfresh
09-21-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Liberals are going to attack Bush for at least through the next two Republican administrations.

MmmKay "But Clinton" boy...

ODShowtime
09-21-2005, 10:05 PM

and your dumb ass will still be sticking up for him!

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=696132

Cathedral
09-22-2005, 12:20 AM
I think the people are smarter than most think they are.
Though the Liberal's think they are pioneering the fall of Bush, we all know Bush has done it to himself.

I think the best way to hang someone is to just give them rope then stand back and keep quiet.

Nobody, especially a Democrat, had anything to do with my noticing the failures of this Administration and i'll venture a guess that those like me who are equally as fed up did it by their own means as well.

Democrats will only fuck themselves yet again if they don't just shut the fuck up already.
Since most Dem's rely on polls to decide something they should remember the poll where 74% of the voters don't like attack ads.

What did 4 years of attacking get you before the last election?
It got you beat by a man who isn't fit to run a Jiffy Lube, pay attention and try to learn something for once.
You can't learn anything if your busy talking all the time, so, Shut Up!

Bush is his own worst enemy right now, and he's got plenty of rope.

Warham
09-22-2005, 07:23 AM
Don't tell that to the libs, Cat.

They love to viciously attack.

Warham
09-22-2005, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
and your dumb ass will still be sticking up for him!

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=696132

I stick up for him when I think he needs somebody to stick up for him.

On some issues, I don't care to stick up for him.

Cathedral
09-22-2005, 09:09 AM

I hear ya, I reckon it's a good thing they shoot themselves in the foot if it keeps them from being the majority.
But the nature of modern politics and the way attacks are waged embarrasses me for the whole country to see such an elementary school mentality to it all.

I'm hard pressed to find any issue where an attack on Bush doesn't end up being the bottom line.

If i were a Democrat i'd find it very hard to support one.

BigBadBrian
09-22-2005, 09:44 AM
I stick up for him when I think he needs somebody to stick up for him.

On some issues, I don't care to stick up for him.

They don't understand that concept, Warham.

:gulp:

knuckleboner
09-22-2005, 11:18 AM

well, there are probably 1 or 2 conservatives who also like the occasional attack...;)