PDA

View Full Version : Book smarts or learn as you go?

Big Troubles
03-24-2004, 06:26 PM
I started playing 6 string a few months ago, and basically am self taught. I picked up some pedals along the way. Crybaby, phase shifter, metal t zone, flanger and will eventualy grab a chorus pedal and delay. My question is, can I keep learning with my ears and through practice or will I or should I need to go through the books?
I want to get better than what I am, and am prob rushing myself. But maybe theres some players here that can play real well, without having to go through lessons or books to get there. Any help would be great!

Big Troubles
03-24-2004, 07:49 PM
Where's all the players? c'mon BrownSound. Giver on the help dept.

pete
03-24-2004, 07:56 PM
I learned Mel bay guitar method when i was 9 years old.

From there I learned on my own til I was 17. Just as a progression of continuous playing and writing I learned a basic major scale.

Then my abilities and realisation of chords, and what different chords you can use in a given scale/key really grew.

We all use major and minor chords, but then i realised you could use other chords. I often wonder if I'd have stuck with the books if I would have learned quicker, but at this point, though, I can learn anything I can hear. Including in my head.

So I would say:"Learn your scales" and the notes of your guitar all the way up the neck. And your passion will, if it's real, take you as far as you want to go.

Once you learn the basic rules. You can break the rules without sounding like an idiot.

Glad to hear you're so into it. It gives me something new everyday.
I'm 35 years old.

Big Troubles
03-24-2004, 08:07 PM
Im loving it and have a strong passion. Its an unbelievable, almost undescribable feeling, making a noise from a guitar. Im sure most people who read that wouldn't understand unless they do have that kinda passion. Its funny you know Ive always wanted to play, but always thought "Id never be good enough". But now, only knowing a few basic chords, can make some decent progressions. Its usualy the same "da, da da, da da da, da da da, da da da doo..." If you know what I mean? LOL But I'll hear something and try my best to mimick. And some of it, is pretty impressive, considering...you know? I have a copy of KISS (keep it simple stupid) for guitar palying and it has been great. But alot of it is scales and notes. and man I hate reading music!
So I will continue with both "playing around" and using the book to evolve. I guess everyone is different as to where they "should be" when playing the guitar? Like should I be playing Mean Streets after say 6 months of practice or???

Seshmeister
03-24-2004, 08:12 PM
Try and play acoustic or with a clean sound at least half the time otherwise the distortion will hide your mistakes and you'll never get good technique.

Cheers!

:gulp:

pete
03-24-2004, 08:13 PM
Everything but the guitar solo. The rest is easy. Just took alot of imagination to come up with something new while at the same time using chords and note sequences that go straight back to the blues.

(sorry bout the long sentence)

Big Troubles
03-24-2004, 08:19 PM
Ive barely used the metal t pedal. I find that distortion hides mistakes as well. I've been using my crybaby (dunlop of course), then my phase shifter about a third up and thats it. I crank my gain about half way and get an awesome late 60's and 70's sound. Kinda like the theme from shaft. clean string sound, the shifter allows you to get that bluesy rock sound. and the best part is no feedback. Crybaby is handy when hitting the high's, but I dont think about trying to master any kind of solo's. I try solos here and there, but you need to be fast, clean and find that sweet note everytime. and Im just not there yet.

pete
03-24-2004, 08:28 PM
Distortion can definately make noodling and chord-bending sound cool.

Rock-n-roll isn't all about precision. (not all of it anyway)

Big Troubles
03-24-2004, 08:31 PM
yeah once in awhile I like to crank it with distortion, just to get that Ratt or Motley sound. But my fav lately has been the electric blues. sorta like eric johnson or maybe a tad harder...

Panamark
03-25-2004, 04:58 AM
Playing by ear is great. (I was self taught) Although if I could be 16 again, I would take lessons on modes and scales. I hit a lot of brick walls with solo's due to limited knowledge. Depends on what you want to be, if you have aspirations to be a Yngwie virtuoso, then the lessons are essential. If you just want to Rock out without complex solo's I believe you can figure it all out yourself, if you have the natural ability and ear for it.

Panamark
03-25-2004, 05:00 AM
Sesh's advise is good too, in fact now and then I will play nothing but
my high actioned acoustic for a few weeks, Then when you get back
onto your electric, you can really rip it up...

With the lower action, stronger fingers and clean picking from being used to the acoustic, its a dream going back to the electric.

ashstralia
03-25-2004, 05:15 AM
hi guys.
just thought i'd add a bit of good advice.
i've been teaching guitar for 15 years,
won some comp's too (although we all know it's art, not sport.)
at least have 1 lesson from a dude who can WAIL; then you get to see up close how it's done.
get him/her to play super slow too.
also, get yourself a tab book of one of your favourite cd's, and wear the cd and the book out.
i wore out 3 tapes of 1984.
finally, as paul gilbert used to say, bash the shit out of an a chord!!!
nice win in brisbane panamark, it stuffed my tipping card!
go bunnies

Big Troubles
03-25-2004, 12:35 PM
cool. Thanks for the advice guys. Its nice to not feel intimidated being a beginner. But I guess we all start at the beginning once. : )

I know my trouble will be speed. And speed on solos. But thats ok, because Im told, once you know what sound you want, speed is the last thing to accomplish. So thats cool.

Panamark
03-26-2004, 04:50 AM
G'day Ash, yeah surprise win to the EELS ! I had heard that they were going to throw the game unless Parramatta sacked Smith. That info was obviously wrong.

yeah go the Bunnies !!! I really hope they do well this year. I think everyone has a soft spot for the Bunnies.

And go the Mighty Carlton Blues !! (My AFL team)

pardo
03-26-2004, 09:32 AM
Dude, once you learn to tune, open and bar major / minor chords, the pentatonic scale, then you can get runnin on your own.

Sure you can always learn the odd chord inversion here and there and get tips for technique from people. But invest some time on your own and you'll be well on your way.

My 2 cents

Big Troubles
03-27-2004, 07:09 PM
Cool. Thanks for the advice!

GAR
04-02-2004, 05:52 PM
http://www.jazz-theory.co.uk/pic/image301.gif

Study and commit to memory this Cycle Of Fifths which governs interaction of all the pompitouses of lurvve..

pete
04-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by GAR
http://www.jazz-theory.co.uk/pic/image301.gif

Study and commit to memory this Cycle Of Fifths which governs interaction of all the pompitouses of lurvve..

that's cool!

but a beginner can't follow it.

a pro can appreciate it though