PDA

View Full Version : Clinton launches withering attack on Bush on Iraq, Katrina, budget

Keeyth
09-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Clinton launches withering attack on Bush on Iraq, Katrina, budget Sun Sep 18, 3:43 PM ET

Former US president Bill Clinton sharply criticised George W. Bush for the Iraq War and the handling of Hurricane Katrina, and voiced alarm at the swelling US budget deficit.

Breaking with tradition under which US presidents mute criticisms of their successors, Clinton said the Bush administration had decided to invade Iraq "virtually alone and before UN inspections were completed, with no real urgency, no evidence that there were weapons of mass destruction."

The Iraq war diverted US attention from the war on terrorism "and undermined the support that we might have had," Bush said in an interview with an ABC's "This Week" programme.

Clinton said there had been a "heroic but so far unsuccessful" effort to put together an constitution that would be universally supported in Iraq.

The US strategy of trying to develop the Iraqi military and police so that they can cope without US support "I think is the best strategy. The problem is we may not have, in the short run, enough troops to do that," said Clinton.

On Hurricane Katrina, Clinton faulted the authorities' failure to evacuate New Orleans ahead of the storm's strike on August 29.

People with cars were able to heed the evacuation order, but many of those who were poor, disabled or elderly were left behind.

"If we really wanted to do it right, we would have had lots of buses lined up to take them out," Clinton.

He agreed that some responsibility for this lay with the local and state authorities, but pointed the finger, without naming him, at the former director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

FEMA boss Michael Brown quit in response to criticism of his handling of the Katrina disaster. He was viewed as a political appointee with no experience of disaster management or dealing with government officials.

"When James Lee Witt ran FEMA, because he had been both a local official and a federal official, he was always there early, and we always thought about that," Clinton said, referring to FEMA's head during his 1993-2001 presidency.

"But both of us came out of environments with a disproportionate number of poor people."

On the US budget, Clinton warned that the federal deficit may be coming untenable, driven by foreign wars, the post-hurricane recovery programme and tax cuts that benefitted just the richest one percent of the US population, himself included.

"What Americans need to understand is that ... every single day of the year, our government goes into the market and borrows money from other countries to finance Iraq, Afghanistan, Katrina, and our tax cuts," he said.

"We have never done this before. Never in the history of our republic have we ever financed a conflict, military conflict, by borrowing money from somewhere else."

Clinton added: "We depend on Japan, China, the United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, and Korea primarily to basically loan us money every day of the year to cover my tax cut and these conflicts and Katrina. I don't think it makes any sense."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050918/ts_alt_afp/usweatheriraqeconomy

scamper
09-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Keeyth

"If we really wanted to do it right, we would have had lots of buses lined up to take them out," Clinton.

The buses were lined up in a flooded parking lot, whos fault was that?

Keeyth
09-19-2005, 11:54 AM
Uh, sitting in a parking lot is not the same as lined up ready to take people out. And the local govt. and FEMA should have been on it in the days preceeding the hurricane.

scamper
09-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Uh, sitting in a parking lot is not the same as lined up ready to take people out. And the local govt. and FEMA should have been on it in the days preceeding the hurricane.

I must be lost here, does FEMA usually step in before something like this happens, or is it the local govts responsibility?

Nitro Express
09-19-2005, 12:12 PM
Evacuating the city falls on the city govt. Mayor Nagin fucked up big time. He had ample warning and it was a well known fact the New Orleans levys could break in such a storm. The fool of a mayor wants to move people back into the city too soon as well. A city will no medical care available and still covered in toxic sludge. Not to mention with another hurricane moving into the gulf. New Orleans could get hit again. Not a good time to be moving people back into the city.

Nitro Express
09-19-2005, 12:14 PM
I agree with Clinton on the budget though.

Keeyth
09-19-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by scamper
I must be lost here, does FEMA usually step in before something like this happens, or is it the local govts responsibility?

You know, the funny thing is, I am no expert, and my information was limited to the newscasts I watch each evening, and even I KNEW this was going to be a horrible catastrophe even before the storm hit, so my question is, with all their more advanced resources, WHY DIDN'T FEMA???? WHY DIDN'T THE LOCAL GOVT???? I don't even live there and I could tell this was going to be a bad motherfucker. They knew it too, and that's why they called for the evacuation, so WHY DIDN'T THEY KNOW HOW MANY POOR PEOPLE THEY HAD AND HOW TO DEAL WITH THEM???

Big Fuckup. On all levels.

But what can you expect from a country that elected a Big Fuckup as it's leader?

Warham
09-19-2005, 04:30 PM
Slick Willy's trying to cover his own ass.

DrMaddVibe
09-19-2005, 04:56 PM
I posted the same shit under..."Knife In The Back"

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27472

Keeyth
09-19-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
I posted the same shit under..."Knife In The Back"

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27472

Sorry for the double posting bro, but I did a search on "Clinton" before I posted the thread. I had no way of finding your thread with that title.

rucalobe
10-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Clinton / Clinton 2008
Because America Needs Them!

Terry
10-06-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Slick Willy's trying to cover his own ass.

The economic downturn, the invasion of Iraq and the poor response to Katrina all happened on W's watch. He bears a degree of responsibility for providing leadership via proposing solutions to these problems. None of which has anything to do with Bill Clinton.

FORD
10-07-2005, 12:37 AM
The buses were lined up in a flooded parking lot, whos fault was that?

Better do some reasearch on how the bus system works down there. Ask Elvis, he can fill you in. Suffice it to say that there would be NO FUCKING POSSIBLE WAY to get those buses operating with a single phone call.

scamper
10-07-2005, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Better do some reasearch on how the bus system works down there. Ask Elvis, he can fill you in. Suffice it to say that there would be NO FUCKING POSSIBLE WAY to get those buses operating with a single phone call.

So your telling me this whole hurricane was a total supprise, they didn't have time to get things done?

BigBadBrian
10-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by FORD

Uh huh.

That right there is a crime.

:mad:

BigBadBrian
10-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by rucalobe
Clinton / Clinton 2008
Because America Needs Them!

I think the Constitution would prevent Bill from running as Vice President.

We had a thread on this here before and we all pretty much came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be allowed.

Still, him being the husband of Hillary would probably win her the White House as long as she didn't flap her lips too much.

:gulp:

Seshmeister
10-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Dunno I get the impression that a lot of 'middle Americans' don't like her at all.

scamper
10-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Dunno I get the impression that a lot of 'middle Americans' don't like her at all.

It's hard to tell what middle America wants.

Keeyth
10-07-2005, 01:15 PM
It's hard to tell what middle America wants.

Yeah, you're right in the middle and even you don't know what you want.

scamper
10-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Yeah, you're right in the middle and even you don't know what you want.

We meet again...not quite the middle but close.

Keeyth
10-07-2005, 01:51 PM
;)