PDA

View Full Version : Scotland tops list of world's most violent countries

BigBadBrian
09-19-2005, 06:00 PM
Scotland tops list of world's most violent countries
By Katrina Tweedie

A UNITED Nations report has labelled Scotland the most violent country in the developed world, with people three times more likely to be assaulted than in America.
England and Wales recorded the second highest number of violent assaults while Northern Ireland recorded the fewest.

The study, based on telephone interviews with victims of crime in 21 countries, found that more than 2,000 Scots were attacked every week, almost ten times the official police figures. They include non-sexual crimes of violence and serious assaults.

Violent crime has doubled in Scotland over the past 20 years and levels, per head of population, are now comparable with cities such as Rio de Janeiro, Johannesburg and Tbilisi.

The attacks have been fuelled by a “booze and blades” culture in the west of Scotland which has claimed more than 160 lives over the past five years. Since January there have been 13 murders, 145 attempted murders and 1,100 serious assaults involving knives in the west of Scotland. The problem is made worse by sectarian violence, with hospitals reporting higher admissions following Old Firm matches.

David Ritchie, an accident and emergency consultant at Glasgow’s Victoria Infirmary, said that the figures were a national disgrace. “I am embarrassed as a Scot that we are seeing this level of violence. Politicians must do something about this problem. This is a serious public health issue. Violence is a cancer in this part of the world,” he said.

Detective Chief Superintendent John Carnochan, head of the Strathclyde Police’s violence reduction unit, said the problem was chronic and restricting access to drink and limiting the sale of knives would at least reduce the problem.

The study, by the UN’s crime research institute, found that 3 per cent of Scots had been victims of assault compared with 1.2 per cent in America and just 0.1 per cent in Japan, 0.2 per cent in Italy and 0.8 per cent in Austria. In England and Wales the figure was 2.8 per cent.

Scotland was eighth for total crime, 13th for property crime, 12th for robbery and 14th for sexual assault. New Zealand had the most property crimes and sexual assaults, while Poland had the most robberies.

Chief Constable Peter Wilson, president of the Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland, questioned the figures. “It must be near impossible to compare assault figures from one country to the next based on phone calls,” he said.

“We have been doing extensive research into violent crime in Scotland for some years now and this has shown that in the vast majority of cases, victims of violent crime are known to each other. We do accept, however, that, despite your chances of being a victim of assault being low in Scotland, a problem does exist.”

LINK (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1786945,00.html)

Angel
09-19-2005, 06:38 PM
For some strange reason though, they stats go way down whenever Sesh leaves the country! ;)

Nitro Express
09-19-2005, 07:18 PM
Oh. The Scots like to get drunk and get into fights? Really? Now play the Star Treck music as Scotty pulls a cork and kicks some Romulan's ass in the engine room.

DLR'sCock
09-19-2005, 09:47 PM
Scottish Soccer Hoolligans!!!!!!

Hardrock69
09-19-2005, 10:28 PM
Why does this not surprise me?

:D

Mr Grimsdale
09-20-2005, 02:53 AM
BBB, you're believing UN reports now?!

FORD
09-20-2005, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
BBB, you're believing UN reports now?!

Only when he can use it to bait Sesh into an argument. ;)

Mr Grimsdale
09-20-2005, 03:08 PM
I bet he's got a picture of Kofi Annan on his wall.

BITEYOASS
09-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by DLR'sCock
Scottish Soccer Hoolligans!!!!!!

Well there will be american soccer hooligans in Germany next year since Iran is also in the world cup.

Cathedral
09-21-2005, 12:57 AM
Another reason i like guns.
If i have to be wounded or killed i do not want it to be due to a knife.

I can almost guarentee instant lead poisoning to anyone who tries to stab my ass with a knife.
Let's put it this way, if you get close enough to me to stab me, I deserve to die.

Mr Grimsdale
09-21-2005, 03:08 AM
How does your wife feel about that?

Nitro Express
09-21-2005, 06:24 AM
I have a Yugoslavian SKS with a bayonet and grenade launcher. I can shoot them, stab them, or blow them up with a grenade.

BigBadBrian
09-21-2005, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Only when he can use it to bait Sesh into an argument. ;)

Yeah.

I want to see him launch into another tirade about me picking on him again. He's whined about that enough for one century.

:rolleyes:

Warham
09-21-2005, 08:27 AM
lmao

Keeyth
09-21-2005, 01:13 PM

You just want to know how his wife feels, you perferlert!! :D

Cathedral
09-21-2005, 06:49 PM

My wife?

She feels safer than when she was married to a passive tree huggin' dickweed who wouldn't step up to defend anyone, including himself.

Nobody walks all over me or mine without having some healing to do, nobody.

rustoffa
09-21-2005, 09:00 PM
I own alot of guns. Rifles, Shotguns, Handguns, Throw-Away guns, I even have a Zip Gun....that thing is pretty sketchy. I threw away this piece of shit Jennings .22 automatic not too long ago just for the sake of "throwing away" a throwaway. Now, before anyone get's exited, I threw it away into the Altamaha river...no Job Corps fucker will use it in a gasoline hijack. I like the aspect of having my Binelli loaded with double-not spy loads near the bed. Strange noise in the other room? Feeling uneasy about that creaking sound? Just shoot through the wall!

I'm supposed to go to Bonnie Scotland and smoke crack with Mr. Badguy @ some point....fuck the guns on that deal.

Keeyth
09-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
I own alot of guns. Rifles, Shotguns, Handguns, Throw-Away guns, I even have a Zip Gun....that thing is pretty sketchy. I threw away this piece of shit Jennings .22 automatic not too long ago just for the sake of "throwing away" a throwaway. Now, before anyone get's exited, I threw it away into the Altamaha river...no Job Corps fucker will use it in a gasoline hijack. I like the aspect of having my Binelli loaded with double-not spy loads near the bed. Strange noise in the other room? Feeling uneasy about that creaking sound? Just shoot through the wall!

I'm supposed to go to Bonnie Scotland and smoke crack with Mr. Badguy @ some point....fuck the guns on that deal.

Not that I have any, but a "throw away" gun to me is a gun that's not registered to the criminal or anyone they know and can be used for crimes which can then later be thrown away afterwards.

What is your definition of a throw away gun? Just one that's not very good quality?

Also What's a Zip Gun?

And what are double-not spy loads?

Oh, and just for the record, if you'll just shoot thru the wall at a noise or a creak, I'm glad I'm not one of your pets! :D

Keeyth
09-22-2005, 11:09 AM
I'm more into the old style Black Powder guns myself, just for sport and hobby. There are some cool rendevous' for that kind of thing that are a lot of fun to go to.

rustoffa
09-24-2005, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Keeyth
What is your definition of a throw away gun? Just one that's not very good quality?

Pretty much. Although I saw someone throw a Sig .45 a long way once after he couldn't hit this marsh hen with it....it landed in marsh mud and performed flawlessly afterwards.

Also What's a Zip Gun?

A ho-made deal. VERY poor quality.

And what are double-not spy loads?

Hot-loaded 00 buckshot shells.

Oh, and just for the record, if you'll just shoot thru the wall at a noise or a creak, I'm glad I'm not one of your pets! :D

That was kind of an inside joke regarding a friend of mine. Some fucking shadowbox of his wife's fell off the wall one night, and he employed the scortched-wall policy....fucking fucked all his furniture and shit up. He told me it must have happened during REM sleep or something.
:rolleyes:

Seshmeister
09-26-2005, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
The attacks have been fuelled by a “booze and blades” culture in the west of Scotland which has claimed more than 160 lives over the past five years.

This article is comparing unreported crime in Scotland with reported crime elsewhere. Total bullshit. It's saying that unreported crime in Scotland is 10 times higher than reported yet not checking if other countries have the same or worse problem of reporting.

If we assume that murders are always reported then 160 murders in 5 years is 32 per year which is 0.0064 per thousand population, the standard measure for these things.

The US murder rate is 0.04 per thousand so you are 6 TIMES more likely to be murdered in the US.

Incidently South Africa is 0.49 or 10 TIMES the US rate and 60 TIMES the Scottish rate showing what a joke this article is.

Brian the basic ability to read and understand a self serving article should be part of your school course. They are trying to get some stricter knife controls adopted here, which I'm all for, so there is some playing with the figures going on.

Cheers!

:gulp:

BigBadBrian
09-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
This article is comparing unreported crime in Scotland with reported crime elsewhere. Total bullshit. It's saying that unreported crime in Scotland is 10 times higher than reported yet not checking if other countries have the same or worse problem of reporting.

If we assume that murders are always reported then 160 murders in 5 years is 32 per year which is 0.0064 per thousand population, the standard measure for these things.

The US murder rate is 0.04 per thousand so you are 6 TIMES more likely to be murdered in the US.

Incidently South Africa is 0.49 or 10 TIMES the US rate and 60 TIMES the Scottish rate showing what a joke this article is.

Brian the basic ability to read and understand a self serving article should be part of your school course. They are trying to get some stricter knife controls adopted here, which I'm all for, so there is some playing with the figures going on.

Cheers!

Sesh, you had to do quite a bit of research just to defend your little bitty hillbilly nation. :D

Actually, the original article is quite clear: The study, by the UN’s crime research institute, found that 3 per cent of Scots had been victims of assault compared with 1.2 per cent in America and just 0.1 per cent in Japan, 0.2 per cent in Italy and 0.8 per cent in Austria. In England and Wales the figure was 2.8 per cent.

I think that pretty much says it all, don't you?

Seshmeister
09-26-2005, 11:46 AM
I'd rather be assaulted than killed.

Comparing Scotland to Joberg or even the States is ludicrous.

It's bullshit data.

WelshJon
09-26-2005, 12:02 PM
I've played in Scotland several times and it's always been cool.
Very friendly on Arran...:D

Keeyth
09-26-2005, 12:10 PM
My Dad just came back from a trip to Aberdeen, and he didn't get assaulted! ;)

Seshmeister
09-26-2005, 12:54 PM
I think there is a fair chance that a dummy like Brian would be though...:)

BigBadBrian
09-26-2005, 03:26 PM
My Dad just came back from a trip to Aberdeen, and he didn't get assaulted! ;)

Did he bring you a "My daddy just went over to dreary old Scotland and got butt-boned and all I got was this lousy T-shirt?"

Did he?

Huh?

Keeyth
09-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Did he bring you a "My daddy just went over to dreary old Scotland and got butt-boned and all I got was this lousy T-shirt?"

Did he?

Huh?

Hey ya butt-nut!

At least I know who my daddy is, ya hillbilly fuck-spawn!!

Who's YOUR daddy? Bet it's not the guy who's fuckin your Mom!

Does he walk you to school...

...cuz yer in the same grade??? :D

Keeyth
09-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
I think there is a fair chance that a dummy like Brian would be though...:)

yeah... ...twice in the same night, too! ;)

Mr Badguy
12-07-2005, 12:30 PM
I missed this one.

It`s true.

Come here and you`re in for a booting.