PDA

View Full Version : The Republican Party could disinigrate in the next election

Nitro Express
09-19-2005, 07:54 PM
September 17, 2005

Yes, President Bush gave a good speech Thursday night but no amount of inspiring rhetoric can obscure the fact that Hurricane Katrina may well have drowned the Republican Party as a credible vehicle of conservative reform.

Why? Consider House Majority Leader Tom Delay’s stunning assertion the day before Bush spoke from New Orleans that 11 years of GOP control of Congress has “pared [government] down pretty good.”

Here’s what he said when a puzzled reporter asked if Delay really was suggesting there is no fat to cut in the federal budget to help pay Katrina recovery costs: "My answer to those that want to offset the spending is sure, bring me the offsets, I'll be glad to do it. But nobody has been able to come up with any yet."

Neither Tip O’Neill nor Jim Wright – two powerful former Democratic Speakers of the House famous for their big spending ways – could have said it better than Delay.

The worst thing about Delay’s comment is not its factual unreality, bad as that is, but what the remark says about the GOP congressional leadership’s attitude about spending our tax dollars.

“We’ve already cut it to the bone” or “there isn’t any more fat to cut” or variations thereof were typical responses from O’Neill and Wright to critics of excessive federal spending. The truth then as now is the federal government was and is shot through with monumental waste, fraud and inefficiency.

Today Delay sings the Democrats’ tune as the GOP leadership in the House and Senate gives President Bush more blank checks to finance a Katrina recovery that promises epic boondoggles. So we get the same result no matter which party controls Congress.

The GOP’s prospective fall could be much more swift than the Democrats in 1994, however, because of the Internet. Then, the mainstream media’s lock on the news meant it took years for enough voters to finally get the message that it was time for a change in Washington.

The GOP pork barons on Capitol Hill can’t count on such protection. The Talk Radio and cable TV that broke the mainstream media monopoly are being succeeded by the Blogosphere that instantly spreads the word about events inside the Beltway.

Judging by the response to my recent column here on Townhall.com asking if the time has come for conservatives to dump the GOP, word about Republican hypocrisy in the nation’s capitol is being heard loud and clear beyond the Beltway.

The “time to dump the GOP” column generated more than 200 emails, many brimming with anger, disbelief and disgust. Less than a dozen came from people saying the GOP is just fine. The vast majority said they either have already or are planning to switch to the Libertarian Party or Constitution Party.

Emails inspired by an online column don’t make a scientific survey, of course, but what if those responses do reflect an as-yet unreported gathering revolt of the GOP base? All that’s required for a GOP-majority ending electoral earthquake is five percent or so of the base staying home or voting third party on election day.

It’s hard to deny such an earthquake is coming when there are so many signs “out there.” They are most obvious and intense whenever discussion turns to protecting America’s borders.
Millions of illegal aliens are streaming into America and there is no doubt terrorist operatives are among them, yet Bush and the congressional GOP seem to have no clue about the political consequences of not stopping the alien invasion.

Now it appears issues like out-of-control spending are also generating pre-shocks. A fall became certain when people became convinced in the months leading up to the 1994 election that entrenched majority Democrats had lost touch with the electorate, lacked credibility when promising reform and were too attached to the perks of power.

That is why Delay’s comments should send shudders down the spine of every GOP strategist. The House Majority Leader’s attitude tells legions of the GOP’s most faithful supporters that the party of Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan has irreparably lost its way.

Political parties in America don’t always die quickly. It took several elections before the demise of the Federalists and the Whigs became obvious to all but the most die-hard supporters. Thanks to the microchip, the GOP might not have long to linger once the base splinters.

BigBadBrian
09-19-2005, 08:23 PM
No link

We got rules on op-eds

Post your source

Hardrock69
09-19-2005, 10:38 PM
That statment is as laughable as any of GW Bush's campaign promises.

So by your comment "No Link" you are attempting to convince people that the article is something he made up, right?

Not only that, but you are actually demonstrating to the world your sheer laziness.....you simply do not wish to try to find it yourself, you just want to try to pass yourself off as somehow "more knowledgeable" by implying that it is a "fictional" article.

It is NOT fiction.

If you truly desire to know where it came from...I have one word for ya:

GOOGLE

Your assignment is to find the link, and post it here.

Failure to do so will result in you being sentenced to write:
"I AM A LAZY NEOCON GOOBER!"

1,000 times in this thread, to demonstrate to all you have seen the error of your ways....
:D

Nitro Express
09-20-2005, 04:51 AM
Yup. It came from Google. Is this college? I'm I being accussed of plagerism? Who cares where it came from, it's an oppinion. This is the Roth Army which means, fuck the rules of society and do whatever the fuck you want! The only rules are that of nature which means stupid people get eaten. Really. One of the huge failures of Katrina is people didn't take the initiative because they believed someones bullshit or followed some rules that don't mean shit.

Read the post. You are intitled to an oppinion. I'm not writing a term paper and no I don't have a bibliography attached. LOL!

BigBadBrian
09-20-2005, 06:58 AM
This thread is a lesson in hypocrisy.

I've had threads where I've been required by the mods to post a link for the source of an article I've posted or have the thread closed. Warham and others around here can also testify to this fact. Others have had the same thing happen.

I shall bookmark this thread and reference it whenever I post some crap our leftward-leaning mod doesn't desire on the boards and SHOVE this thread in his face.

:cool:

BigBadBrian
09-20-2005, 07:02 AM
http://www.strangepolitics.com/images/content/106490.jpg

Warham
09-20-2005, 07:42 AM
Yes, I do agree with BBB. ;)

DrMaddVibe
09-20-2005, 07:45 AM
Hell, the Republicans will prolly garner more seats in the House and with Dean and Billary running that side of the aisle...8 more years in the White House!

http://www.msu.edu/~santosdo/dean-freaks.mp3

DrMaddVibe
09-20-2005, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
This thread is a lesson in hypocrisy.

I've had threads where I've been required by the mods to post a link for the source of an article I've posted or have the thread closed. Warham and others around here can also testify to this fact. Others have had the same thing happen.

I shall bookmark this thread and reference it whenever I post some crap our leftward-leaning mod doesn't desire on the boards and SHOVE this thread in his face.

:cool:

Don't hold your breath!

Hardrock69
09-20-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
http://www.strangepolitics.com/images/content/106490.jpg

That is our BBB....shoot people in the head who do not agree with him.

SIEG HEIL!!!!

Big Train
09-20-2005, 10:20 AM
I also agree with him...there are certainly some left wing mods in here just looking for a reason to shut down threads they don't agree with.

FORD
09-20-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Big Train
I also agree with him...there are certainly some left wing mods in here just looking for a reason to shut down threads they don't agree with.

Bullshit.

Thread closed.

Nitro Express
09-20-2005, 01:26 PM
That poor gook that had his brains blown out has to be one of the most famouse faces in photography. That dude is all over the place.

Hardrock69
09-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Literally.

DrMaddVibe
09-25-2005, 12:40 AM
Thread open!

Cathedral
09-25-2005, 01:35 AM
Why do i get the feeling that this is going to affect my family in a way i can't afford?

Oh, now i remember, it's because we have an irresponsible and fiscally inept Commander and Chief....how silly of me to forget.

Well, it's just me and the kid at home, so i could sell the condo and take the equity and move to an apartment.
Sell off the Ram, Windstar and the Charger and buy me an electric car.
live on soup and rice cakes and put the circuit box on a timer.

We can get $50 Million from that program that tests the integrity of crust on shit.
Or $100 Million from that other program where they are developing fly larvae into an age cream.

There's plenty of fat to cut, and if one needed program gets the axe while the two i just mentioned remain...I'll fuckin' snap, man.

Am i the only one who see's my tax cut costing me more than it saves me in the long run?

How about we put it to a vote and list the White House on MLS.com to pay for this shit?
Bush can move to a fucking HUD Home for all i care.

DrMaddVibe
09-25-2005, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Why do i get the feeling that this is going to affect my family in a way i can't afford?

Oh, now i remember, it's because we have an irresponsible and fiscally inept Commander and Chief....how silly of me to forget.

Well, it's just me and the kid at home, so i could sell the condo and take the equity and move to an apartment.
Sell off the Ram, Windstar and the Charger and buy me an electric car.
live on soup and rice cakes and put the circuit box on a timer.

We can get $50 Million from that program that tests the integrity of crust on shit.
Or $100 Million from that other program where they are developing fly larvae into an age cream.

There's plenty of fat to cut, and if one needed program gets the axe while the two i just mentioned remain...I'll fuckin' snap, man.

Am i the only one who see's my tax cut costing me more than it saves me in the long run?

How about we put it to a vote and list the White House on MLS.com to pay for this shit?
Bush can move to a fucking HUD Home for all i care.

Ok...let's get this started now.

Nickdfresh
09-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
That statment is as laughable as any of GW Bush's campaign promises.

So by your comment "No Link" you are attempting to convince people that the article is something he made up, right?

Not only that, but you are actually demonstrating to the world your sheer laziness.....you simply do not wish to try to find it yourself, you just want to try to pass yourself off as somehow "more knowledgeable" by implying that it is a "fictional" article.

It is NOT fiction.

If you truly desire to know where it came from...I have one word for ya:

GOOGLE

Your assignment is to find the link, and post it here.

Failure to do so will result in you being sentenced to write:
"I AM A LAZY NEOCON GOOBER!"

1,000 times in this thread, to demonstrate to all you have seen the error of your ways....

I actually agree with BRIAN for once...Links should always be provided unless it's an article from a named source (i.e. ASSOCIATED PRESS)....

But "DLR's Cock" is usually good about this, so I'm sure it's an oversight...

Hardrock69
09-25-2005, 03:09 PM
However the article DOES exist.

I found it VERY easily.

If anyone needs proof, they just need to search Google.

It is not difficult.

DLR'sCock
09-25-2005, 03:24 PM
Hmmmm Nick, I didn't post this article....Nitro did....

Cathedral
09-25-2005, 03:37 PM
DOH!!!

lmmfao...

Nitro Express
09-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Sigh. Ok Ok. Next time I will include foot notes and a God dammed bibliography.

Cathedral
09-25-2005, 09:12 PM
Don't sweat it, Nitro.
I don't like the copy and paste shit myself and am more interested in opinions of those here.

But i guess a copy and paste is the only way to spark the debate if everyone isn't up on the particular issue.

There's just so much garbage out there it gets to be overwhelming for the politically challenged such as myself.

BigBadBrian
09-26-2005, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Sigh. Ok Ok. Next time I will include foot notes and a God dammed bibliography.

The reason is we've had people here who have tried to pawn off lengthy op-eds as their own work. They leave off the original authors name and take it for their own.

It also somewhat absolves Sarge of copyright infringements. Not that anyone would really give a damn that we're copying their work to this site, but you get the point.

:gulp: