PDA

View Full Version : Need some mechanic's advice

Little Texan
09-21-2005, 05:49 PM
I've been working on this Nissan Hardbody pickup that I traded for several months back, and have recently rebuilt the Z24 engine in it. The problem I'm having is the damn thing don't want to time out right. I put a timing light on it, advanced the distributor as far as it can go, and it's still not close to the timing mark. I thought I might have gotten off a little with the timing chain, but I tore it back down and checked it, and it was on correctly. This shit is driving me nuts! I'm thinking it might have something to do with a bad sensor, but I'm unsure. Anyone here have any experience working with these Nissan engines?

Hardrock69
09-22-2005, 01:31 AM
Is your distributor inserted correctly? Sounds like you might be one or two teeeth off where it should be...

I may be ignorant, as I dunno what the fuck type of engine is in it, but a standard old engine with a distributor can have that problem....

Cathedral
09-22-2005, 01:41 AM
BUY AMERICAN!
Old or new, doesn't matter as long as it is American Made.

I prefer the older cars myself, less chance it was cross mojinated with a rice burner part somewhere.

Seriously, I had a similar problem with a Camery i inherited for a short time. It had an expensive sensor issue that kept the timing retarded.

I chose to junk it instead...fuckin' foreign cars suck Hagar dick!

Little Texan
09-22-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Is your distributor inserted correctly? Sounds like you might be one or two teeeth off where it should be...

I may be ignorant, as I dunno what the fuck type of engine is in it, but a standard old engine with a distributor can have that problem....

The distributor is in correctly as there is only one way it can go in on that particular engine.

Hardrock69
09-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Ahhh...gotcha. Like I said, I only have general auto repair experience, and that is pretty much restricted to American engines...foreign cars about all I can do is change the sparkplugs and oil and air filters.
:cool:

Oh, and I can put air in the tires too!
:D

ashstralia
09-25-2005, 11:04 PM
one of my mates is building a z car,

he had the same prob.
turned out that the cam was actually a few degrees out,
and it seemed like the timing was right, but it was lined up
on the wrong cylinder.

hope ya sort it out!!

twonabomber
09-25-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
BUY AMERICAN!
Old or new, doesn't matter as long as it is American Made.

i went old this time. 87 Jeep J20. 360 AMC V8. 11 mpg city/13 hwy. sweeeeet. :D